Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2021, 13:13   #2971
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

The rattle issues are really unfortunate and must be frustrating. All 2021 models have reported this?
I have booked 1.4 DCT Limited and planning to visit stockyard for PDI this week. Any suggestions on whether the rattle issues can be discovered during PDI. Hope they can't anyways allow me to drive longer distance ( not my car yet ).
Old 11th November 2021, 14:03   #2972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManishSoni View Post
Jeep Dealerships claim to have received a letter from Jeep India stating possible price hike of up to 3% on Jeep models, effective 1 December 2021.
Genuine hike or only to make buyers rush and not wait for probable December discounts?
Like I wrote on the other thread.. this has become a mixture of greed to make the most when the sun shines (input cost inflation+demand outstripping supply due to various shortages) and the annual tactic of pre-empting car buyers expectation of year end deals and delaying decisions. Jeep has nothing to lose this time because the XUV700's phenomenal response will ensure that since Mahindra can't keep up with the demand, spillover from those who have issues with bookings or not wanting to wait for 20-30L SUV will keep the Jeep counter running. They might as well charge more for it.

I have been waiting for deals on the Compass too and this is not going to help. But I'm not going to be inclined to buy a Jeep in December and lose out on the perceived depreciation hit with the year change.

Frankly Jeep are treading a fine line. Maybe the 1200+ units a month has given them a high. The prices of the facelift and already perceived to be overpriced.. how much more are they going to stretch it before the law of diminishing returns kicks in is anyone's guess.
Vandit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 09:03   #2973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
The gear shifts are not what they are made out to be.

Now, onto the next goal - making the Zanskar trip happen. I literally bought this car for Zanskar.
Congratulations and happy mile munching ahead

I have my eyes set on Jeep for exactly the same reason, THAT road trip. Glad to read about gearbox since I am really apprehensive after reading the slow gearbox reviews, especially for quick overtakes on single lane roads. Do post your experience. Thanks.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 12th November 2021 at 09:04.
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 16:00   #2974
BHPian

I feel Jeep has got its product positioning and price accurately which has helped it to get to past the 1,000 unit mark. I feel that they wanted to play the premium tag pricing for Jeep. There is no good car in the INR 25-35 L car bracket which has been well exploited by Jeep. While Tucson is a competent car, Hyundai's value for money image will deter people to pay above 20 L for the brand. Also the product differentiation between Creta and Tucson is not significant and Creta has several features which are missing in Tucson which may also affect perception. Hence I dont think, Jeep is going to offer any discounts on the Compass. In a non moving car such as Citroen, the group has the audacity to increase price and dont think they will think about increasing price on Compass. Even the XUV 700 introduction does not have impacted its sales

Last edited by Lalitha Venkat : 12th November 2021 at 16:02.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 18:58   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
The rattle issues are really unfortunate and must be frustrating. All 2021 models have reported this?
I have booked 1.4 DCT Limited and planning to visit stockyard for PDI this week. Any suggestions on whether the rattle issues can be discovered during PDI. Hope they can't anyways allow me to drive longer distance ( not my car yet ).
From what I've seen in the news and media outlets and here in the forum, it is almost certain that all 2021 models will eventually face the rattling issue. Mine started coming within the first 2 days and 60-70 kms. Spent about 3 days in the first month in service center and still the rattles have not gone. Have not driven much since a while but there are clear rattling noises from the front left door and some areas in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
https://www.carblogindia.com/2021-je...eqQhmrJAgPk_fw

This is my ongoing saga

https://www.carblogindia.com/lawyer-...-issues-court/

(update to my saga)

https://www.carblogindia.com/jeep-co...ce-experience/
Another unfortunate owner facing the same issue.

It seems there is an inherent defect in the updated model. a lot of owners have reached out to me over FB to initiate legal proceedings against Jeep. As soon as we have the requisite numbers we are taking FCA to court and will make them pay dearly for selling a defective product.

I urge prospective owners of the Compass to insist on a long (100 kms plus) test drive of the car they are allotted before accepting delivery. these rattles are showing up in the initial 100 kms only and Jeep is washing its hands off it.
Hi Himanshu,

I'm not there on any social media platform but would like to extend my support. Jeep/FCA is clearly refusing to acknowledge the design issues and has no solution in offering at the moment.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th November 2021 at 22:23. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Manas5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 19:07   #2976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas5 View Post
Hi Himanshu,

I'm not there on any social media platform but would like to extend my support. Jeep/FCA is clearly refusing to acknowledge the design issues and has no solution in offering at the moment.
Hi Manas, I will post here when we commence the litigation. please do join in. I need 35 people for a class action case at the national commission. I have offered to represent all the aggrieved owners without charging legal fee because I want to make sure that FCA cannot cheat customers.
himanshugoswami is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 21:03   #2977
BHPian

Quote:
From what I've seen in the news and media outlets and here in the forum, it is almost certain that all 2021 models will eventually face the rattling issue. Mine started coming within the first 2 days and 60-70 kms. Spent about 3 days in the first month in service center and still the rattles have not gone. Have not driven much since a while but there are clear rattling noises from the front left door and some areas in the back.
As I understand, prospective buyers need to brace for this ( for the time being ). Is it best not to attempt repair ? So far people have talked negatively about attempted repair for this issue or may be those who got it fixed are not talking much.
Old 12th November 2021, 21:22   #2978

Congrats on the Jeep compass. I have the same one in petrol AT.

Btw no. 4 is not normal....screen should start immediately. That instrument cluster staying on for a bit happens for me too and I thought that was by design ?

Enjoy your new car and best of luck for the zanskar trip. I plan to take mine to spiti too

Quote:
Finally, got the car I always wanted. A Jeep Compass. Delivery was quick and smooth. I reached the showroom 30min late so had to wait for one more family to complete their delivery process. Till then they parked my car inside the showroom so had ample time to sit, touch and feel the car.
Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th November 2021 at 08:37.
Rupaparna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 18:46   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, got the car I always wanted. A Jeep Compass.
Congrats on the purchase!

Quote:
One of my known fellow owners had the panels of his Trailhawk taken off to check the cause of rattles. The major mounting points of the panels have good quality rubber damped clips but the clips used in other places on the panel are of inferior quality comparatively. According to him, these have a some play and hence, make the rattling noise in the car.

So it seems to be a case of cost cutting by Jeep which has resulted in this rattling saga.

In my Jeep, I face irritating kirr-kirr sound from the dashboard, basically from the vents near the windscreen. I have been treating this with a bi-monthly spray of silicone spray on the vents.
deltasierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 09:36   #2980

I just completed two months of ownership of Jeep compass Sport Diesel. Overall, the experience has been fantastic. Some of the things that I really loved about the car -
1) Handling bad roads- The dampers are amazing. It just cruises over smaller potholes like they don't exist.
2) Fuel efficiency - On highways I was clocking 18-20. In City(Mumbai) I was getting between 10-13. Most of my city commute is against the traffic thus I'm able to get 12.5 on regular basis.
3) The gear box transmission and Acceleration profile is smooth as silk.
4) The build quality- I understand some folks in the forum are facing plenty of rattling issues but I will only speak of my experience. I faced none. Apart from that , the feel, the touch and motion of moving parts like doors, hood, steering, glovebox, seats, seatbelts gives you the perception of an extremely high build quality.

Some of the areas where more is desired -
1) AC - The performance is extremely uneven. At the lowest setting it makes the cabin very chilly while anything above the lowest is warm. I'm not sure if this is because this model does not have automatic climate control as my previous vehicles were all automatic climate control.
2) Seats - They don't seem very comfortable for long drives. Overall, I would rate the seating average as most of my ride is for within cities.
3) Android auto - I have been struggling to use it correctly. The UI in my opinion is not very intuitive. Maybe its part of learning curve but it would have been easier to mirror the phone UI as much as possible. I don't know if this is a Jeep problem or an Android problem.

Couple of times I faced some weird issues. One time I parked my car out in blazing sun and the touch screen did not switch on for the entirety of the ride. Other time, the front right wheel started making a huge screeching noise in the middle of the drive. I stopped the vehicle to vehicle to inspect, found nothing, started the vehicle and resumed the drive with no problem this time. Otherwise, I have been very happy with my Compass. Wife is especially delighted as she is taking better quality naps compared to our previous ride of XUV500
d3thknell is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 09:46   #2981
BHPian

Hi Sharan, great review and thank you for covering Petrol AT as it is less popular variant. I am quite interested in the car and have narrowed by queries/concerns to following 2:

1) Future of Jeep in India. Even though they have been selling 1,000 cars on an average, its not much and I believe that volumes are more so on account of export of RHD variant. They have been bit slow in launching products in India and Meridian could be the real second mass offering in India. The issue is even higher as Jeep does not have its own manufacturing plant but a JV plant which it co-owns with Tata (in Ranjangaon). To that extent, if theoretically they were to shut the shop, it might be slightly easier than GM and Ford. I know this is more of a conceptual point and we may never know the reality. Stellantis' recent launch of Citroen in India gives some peace of mind, but one may never know. Hence, the doubt.

2) Rattling noise. It appears that facelift version has some technical issue somewhere (and ideally it should be in center console as it is the major change in the facelift) which results in rattling noise in different parts (including B pillar etc.) of the car and social media is flooded with negative feedback on it. I just want opinion of fellow members if this issue is variant specific as lot of users of Model S (which I am keen to buy) have complaints about this issue. Hence, just wanted to check if this issue is not there in other variants and in such case I can consider Limited, but I am not keen to buy Sports and Longitude variant from safety standpoint as I want 6 airbags in the car.

Any help and feedback on these points will be highly appreciated. Thanks

MODS: I am posting this post on Compass' main thread as well. Feel free to delete it. Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 14:48   #2982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi Sharan, great review and thank you for covering Petrol AT as it is less popular variant. I am quite interested in the car and have narrowed by queries/concerns to following 2:
Ans 1 :
Meridian is expected to be launched in the first or second Qtr next year as per the folks atleast.

Ans 2 :
I had got my s(02) manual last month & so far dont have any rattling issues. The rattling part is a mixed bag with some folks having it & some not having the issue

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th November 2021 at 17:39. Reason: For ease of reading, please do not quote the whole post. Thank you!
Old 15th November 2021, 18:26   #2983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3thknell View Post
I just completed two months of ownership of Jeep compass Sport Diesel. Overall, the experience has been fantastic. Some of the things that I really loved about the car -
1) Handling bad roads- The dampers are amazing. It just cruises over smaller potholes like they don't exist.
2) Fuel efficiency - On highways I was clocking 18-20. In City(Mumbai) I was getting between 10-13. Most of my city commute is against the traffic thus I'm able to get 12.5 on regular basis.
3) The gear box transmission and Acceleration profile is smooth as silk.
4) The build quality- I understand some folks in the forum are facing plenty of rattling issues but I will only speak of my experience. I faced none. Apart from that , the feel, the touch and motion of moving parts like doors, hood, steering, glovebox, seats, seatbelts gives you the perception of an extremely high build quality.
Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm currently negotiating with Jeep for either the Petrol AT or the Diesel MT. Since you're also from Bombay was wondering if the potential issues with the DPF clogging were considered before you finalised on the Diesel? The petrol automatic is almost 28Lakh on road and the Diesel Manual is just a shade cheaper. So I am completely stuck on deciding between the two. The DPF & Clutch worries are what hold me back on finalising the Diesel especially with how crazy Bombay traffic can get. I don't want it to be a case of the car driving the driver rather than the other way around since clearing the DPF warning would require to drive at sustained speed above 2000rpm for 15/20 mins! Imagine this coming up when you're in a hurry to get somewhere but are stuck in traffic or just in the middle of a crazy work week.. but your vehicle needs to be driven around just to ensure you have a clean filter!

The Petrol Auto's rather heavy consumption and turbo lag/lack of low end response is what don't excite me with that variant.

Since you're fairly new to the forums, I think the messages have not been enabled for you.. would love to know some more details via PM if possible.

Great to know you're enjoying the Compass. It's reassuring given all the vast number of issues I've seen being reported all over.
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:20   #2984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm currently negotiating with Jeep for either the Petrol AT or the Diesel MT. .
Hi Vandit - just wanted to check couple of points:

1. if you are getting any deal for Petrol AT?
2. what's the tentative delivery time quoted by dealer?
3. which dealer are you negotiating with - is it Landmark Worli or Landmark Andheri?

thanks much.
Old 15th November 2021, 22:07   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi Vandit - just wanted to check couple of points:

1. if you are getting any deal for Petrol AT?
2. what's the tentative delivery time quoted by dealer?
3. which dealer are you negotiating with - is it Landmark Worli or Landmark Andheri?

thanks much.
Deals? Lol. They barely were willing to negotiate anything except for "insurance discount" in October. When I checked with them today, I got a one liner message from the sales person with the attachment from Jeep India Sales to dealers regarding a 3% hike in prices effective 1st December

This is with their Worli showroom btw.

This will be possibly the 3rd or 4th price hike this year and it's making it even less than desirable now honestly.

I was expecting year end discounts.. instead Jeep is increasing prices..lol. why would anyone want to go ahead with a November/December manufacture+registration on a vehicle unless absolutely necessary? Beats me.

Might as well ask them in Jan/Feb and score a discount on previous year models.. else there's no point with the depreciation hit+price hike.
Vandit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks