Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 20:36   #2911
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

I did the PDI today in the stockyard. The team-bhp PDI list was very helpful.

The car had 16kms on the odometer. The date on all four wheels showed the 36th week of 2021. The spare wheel had a date of April 2021.

The doors, bonnet and boot lid had no sign of any damages or bodywork done. Removed the rubber beading on the doors to check any signs of bodywork done. The heavy-duty reinforcement plates and hinges were all good.

Checked engine oil, coolant and brake oil.

I noticed a weird sound coming while turning the steering left and right. The car was in a stationary position. Maybe the noise was coming from the steering rack, not sure.

I took a short ride within the yard to check if the clutch was smooth or not. After three short drives of a few meters within the stockyard, the noise from the steering didn’t come again. I tried to check it a couple of times, but the weird sound didn’t come again. Not sure what was wrong. If anyone knows what could have been wrong here, do let me know.

We will be taking the delivery on 29th of October. I might pay the dealer half of the amount tomorrow as I am not sure about the transaction limit through RTGS net banking.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes for the extended warranty card to come in?
Abhisheksinh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 22:13   #2912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
4WD Low and Hill Decent Control ( HDC ) were both present in pre-facelift trailhawk. If you notice, these buttons were present on the Rotary knob.
Actually i was referring to prefacelift non Trailhawk models, which had only 4wd Lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
I believe yes. The only difference would be the increased ground clearance, better approach angles on Trailhawk ( as you've rightly mentioned ) and the stock tyres.
In that case, Compass would make for a great offroader, if only there were some after market Trailhawk like bumbers.
Old 28th October 2021, 14:35   #2913
Senior - BHPian

Guys, do any of you have the latest Jeep accessories’ with pricing? I somehow feel they are charging me more for the mud flaps and mats.
Old 28th October 2021, 16:03   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, do any of you have the latest Jeep accessories’ with pricing? I somehow feel they are charging me more for the mud flaps and mats.
This is the one I had saved locally. Was found in one of the Jeep threads right here in TBHP. The rates were accurate since I was charged the exact same amount when I took delivery of my car in June 2021.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-accessory-price-list.jpeg  

scarezebra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 20:23   #2915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheksinh View Post
I did the PDI today in the stockyard. The team-bhp PDI list was very helpful.

The car had 16kms on the odometer. The date on all four wheels showed the 36th week of 2021. The spare wheel had a date of April 2021.

The doors, bonnet and boot lid had no sign of any damages or bodywork done. Removed the rubber beading on the doors to check any signs of bodywork done. The heavy-duty reinforcement plates and hinges were all good.

Checked engine oil, coolant and brake oil.

I noticed a weird sound coming while turning the steering left and right. The car was in a stationary position. Maybe the noise was coming from the steering rack, not sure.

I took a short ride within the yard to check if the clutch was smooth or not. After three short drives of a few meters within the stockyard, the noise from the steering didn’t come again. I tried to check it a couple of times, but the weird sound didn’t come again. Not sure what was wrong. If anyone knows what could have been wrong here, do let me know.

We will be taking the delivery on 29th of October. I might pay the dealer half of the amount tomorrow as I am not sure about the transaction limit through RTGS net banking.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes for the extended warranty card to come in?
Congrats Abhishek ! Happy "JEEP"ing !!!

Even I getting my Beast ( Sport 1.4 DDCT Black ) delivered on 29th Oct !!!

Which is your variant? Is it registered? The reason I am asking is my vehicle got registered only after paying full amount (even though dealer not insisted, I went ahead and paid fully) and got vehicle number too !!!).

Regarding Extended warranty, I guess it must be received along with all the documents we receive during car delivery.
Old 28th October 2021, 22:21   #2916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind_Alloli View Post
Congrats Abhishek ! Happy "JEEP"ing !!!

Even I getting my Beast ( Sport 1.4 DDCT Black ) delivered on 29th Oct !!!
Thank you, and congratulations to you.
Quote:
Which is your variant? Is it registered? The reason I am asking is my vehicle got registered only after paying full amount (even though dealer not insisted, I went ahead and paid fully) and got vehicle number too !!!).
It is a limited diesel manual (Sep 2021). The dealer initially insisted on paying some amount, but I denied it. However, I paid half of the amount today as I was unsure of the transaction limit through RTGS net banking. The loan from the bank will cover 20% of the total amount.

I made it very clear to the dealer that the car should be manufactured after July 2021, and I will do a PDI in the stockyard and then re-check the vehicle on the day of the delivery.

Tomorrow I will re-check the VIN, exteriors and check if the steering noise re-appears. If everything is fine, we will transfer the rest of the amount, and then the dealer will proceed with the registration.

The only concerning part will be the steering noise when the vehicle was stationary, and it disappeared afterwards.

By the way, did you go for PPF?
Old 29th October 2021, 00:08   #2917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheksinh View Post

By the way, did you go for PPF?
I am planning for Ceramic Coating from outside, as the dealer quoted exorbitantly high price. I am not going for PPF and personally felt it is not worth.
Old 29th October 2021, 00:32   #2918

Quote:
An update on this. I had almost gone ahead with ICICI but decided to check with the Delhi Landmark showroom once. They said they dont have cashless facility (yet) with ICICI but they have had a good experience with Tata AIG. So decided to go ahead with Tata. The quotes were more or less similar and I have always had a Tata policy for all my cars.
Even I bought from TATA AIG. It really doesn't make any difference, whether you buy it from dealer or outside, as long as you get maximum add-ons covered at minimum price.

I did explored all the options before finalizing TATA-AIG, viz., searching through policy bazar, spoke to individual agents, checked the price in respective insurance sites etc.,
Old 29th October 2021, 14:57   #2919

The journey to get the car I always wanted...

Hello fellow BHPians,

The last 18 months or so got us back to travelling in self driven cars, thereby increasing the traffic on the roads for sure. I am a big advocate of travelling in public transport or atleast sharing the rides to increase the usability of city roads. Due to this, I postponed my wish to get a new car for the last 3 years. My old car is a 2013 Swift VXi. It was well maintained and still serves me well. However, I was not able to drive it far on highways due to the discomfort in the ride you feel in it after a couple of hundred kilometers. Earlier, if we had to go somewhere on vacations, we always flew or took the train to avoid driving fatigue. However, all this changed with 2 things that happened in 2020. 1) The pandemic and 2) My boy was born.

The pandemic more or less pushed all of us to avoid taking flights or trains if the distance can be travelled in less than a day. That's why you see huge waiting periods for SUVs especially now. With our Swift getting older and not in a position to go for long runs, we started our hunt to get a new car in March. Our requirements were simple:

1) Decent space for a family of 3
2) Driving dynamics of an SUV
3) Strong built
4) Ride quality should be good for longer distances, even on bad roads
5) Automatic transmission (my wife said she will lend me a hand on our highway trips)
6) Most important of all... Safety

We never cared about 4X4 or any other fancy gadjets. Yes, budget was a concern. But, wanted to check the cars that meet our requirements first before diving into the economics. Also, we thought that our requirements would mean we have to shell out something north of 15 lakhs for sure. Therefore, we looked at the following pool of cars and took a TD:

Hyundai Creta - Reliable, coming well with-in our budget and ticks most of our requirements. However, there are too many cretas on the road, the ride quality is okayish but doesn't have the genes of an SUV. Felt it was a beefed up hatchback (sorry to all Creta owners out there, but this is just a personal opinion). Dropped.

Kia Seltos - Same characteristics as Creta. Dropped.

Mahindra Thar - Within our budget. Cool styling. An eye-turner for sure. Huge waiting period was big negative. Also, a 3 door vehicle is not practical with a baby. Dropped.

Tata Harrier/Safari - These 2 almost made the cut. Fantastic machines. But I was told about the disastrous service center support (especially in Hyderabad) by my friends who use Tata cars. This is something Tata needs to address immediately, else this aspect can become a deal breaker like in my case. Who would want to put 25L for a car and want to go through all that? Dropped.

Skoda Kushaq - Interiors are shoddy, seemed like they had to cut on their quality to tone down the overall budget. Ride quality was above average. But the car didn't have that wow feel at all. Dropped.

MG Hector - I felt it was too bulky. The whole internet thingy didn't click well with me. Dropped.

Others - All others like XUV 500, Scorpio, S-Cross, Duster, Eco Sport, etc. All these were at the fag end of their life. Didn't feel like trying a Test Ride either.

Newbies - Wanted to wait for XUV 700. Wife said "Why do you want to be a Beta Tester for the car by paying 23 + lakhs" (no offence intended). The more practical 5 door Jimny and Thar are far from launch.

It made us go a segment above and look for SUVs that cost north of 25 lakhs. This was definitely above our budget. I was optimistic that I would something that I like here for sure. The C segment has limited cars in it, especially the SUVs. Here, budget is definitely a constraint. We had the following cars to choose from:

Citroen C5 Aircross - Luxurios. Ride quality is fantastic. Gave a feel of a proper european car. However, very thin dealer network and heavily overpriced. Didn't want to take a chance with the dealer network for sure. Dropped.

Hyundai Tucson - By far the best car I've driven (from the lot) in terms of performance. They say, your butt feels the difference when you drive a fine car. Yes, mine definitely felt that difference. Good and reliable service centers spread across the country. However, it is also at the end of it's lifetime. Not sure when the facelift will be announced. Didn't want to go for a car that costs so much, just to become obsolete in months or probably a year. Dropped.

That left us with only one other option - JEEP COMPASS. This was the car I secretly wished for ever since we began our hunt. My wife knew it. Well, come one, your spouse can get a hang of your deepest thoughts as well for sure, you don't need to say them out at all. A friend of mine in the apartment has a 2018 version. Drove it few times. So, I knew the driving dynamics of the car. Also, the newer 2021 facelift version even helped my cause. The interiors were revamped to suit the current needs and gave a luxurious look to the car too.

The second wave of COVID in our country put some brakes on our hunt as well. It also gave me a chance to pool some money as I knew it was going to be a costly affair with Compass. So, waited and I took the TD alone in the first week of July. The sales person was very friendly. He must have understood my appreciation for the lovely machines. I zeroed in on 2 trims. Limited and Model S. Drilling down further, I felt Model S has only additional creature comforts to offer and was okay with missing on them.

The big confusion - So, Limited it was. Then comes the confusion. Our budget was to not cross anything beyond 30 lakhs with other additional costs like registration, PPF, etc. The Petrol version of Jeep Compass Limited trim meets that. It comes at 28 lakhs on road. However, I read the terrible mileage it dolls out. With the rise in petrol prices and single digit fuel economy, it didn't seem like a good prospect. Then looked at Diesel version. It costs 28.5 lakhs on road for the manual transmission and 32 lakhs for the automatic (which we wanted). Here is the catch though. The manual transmission doesn't have Cruise Control. Shame if we are to miss on that even after shelling out close to 30 L. And the Diesel version with Automatic Transmission is available only from Limited Trim (not in Longitude and Sport). But the Limited trim automatic transmission was costing me north of 32 lakhs.

War of words - The eternal war started in the house. My wife asked me to either go for a petrol version or go with Tata Harrier. I reminded her the reasons we moved a segment higher and the economy of petrol cars. She then said the exact same words that I saw in the previous review - "Your money, your wish". I guess every wife has the same programming language running in their brains for some aspects. We agreed to pause the car hunt for a while till we reach a middle ground (that's the softer version of saying we decided not to talk about new car at all after the war of words that day). 2 months passed. It was October and I had a good previous quarter at work, so financially, I was able to accumulate good amount. Called the Sales Executive to bring the Limited Diesel (which also comes additionally with 4X40 to our house for TD (best idea that I got in recent times).

The drive that saved me - We had the Test Drive in the first week of October. My wife was instantly amazed by the look and feel of the new facelift version. We drove on the highway for about 20 kms and then over some bad patches of road. Then came the time to showcase the abilities of Compass. There is a small hill near our residence where there won't be any traffic. Roads were laid years ago when surveys were done and layouts were done by some real estate ventures. Our swift previously struggled on those roads due to high incline. However, due to rain in the previous weeks, the roads got washed away totally when we were on TD. I instantly switched onto 4X4 and showcases what this beautiful machine could do. She was sold there.

Any other car would have struggled, but Compass didn't even break a sweat. There was practically no road at all, full of rocks and it was a steep incline. But Compass cut through that like a knife through butter. While coming down, showcased how the Hill Descent works. That was the moment she said "We are taking this". Thank god for 4X4 technology. I never intended to take a 4X4, but that acutally saved the deal for me.

Paid 50K advance that evening. My sales exec said it would take up to 3 weeks depending on the colour. We chose Red. It is the same colour of all my vehicles (Swift, Vespa, Pulsar, etc). Even my phone cover is red, my shoes are red. Love to have that colour on my stuff as it showcases my character. However, the next day he called me and said there is a Red Limited Diesel Version available which can come from the plant to the showroom in 3 days max. I said "I am taking it". He asked me to pay 2 Lakhs to start the proceedings. Made RTGS and by the end of that week, the car was in the showroom. Did PDI, thanks to the fellow BHPians for compiling the checklist. Everything seemed fine. Paid 95% of the amount and zeroed on Durga Puja day for delivery.

The Delivery - I knew it was going to be a busy day, but never thought they would be delivering 28 cars on the same day. My cousin and I went to take the delivery since it is not practical to take by baby boy and keep him waiting for such long while the delivery formalities take place. We had to wait for 45 minutes to get our turn to take the delivery. It was so loud in the showroom with so many people in it. But kudos to Pride Jeep Hyderabad (Jubilee Hills) for handling everyone in such a fantastic manner. My sales exec was very helpful in this aspect. Once the delivery was done, he clearly explained each and every thing about the car. That itself took more than an hour. I asked so many questions too and he was so patient in answering.

Started home from the showroom, 2 minutes into the drive, managed to get into the middle of bumper to bumper traffic. May be because it is a new car or because I don't need to pound the clutch all the while with this auto transmission, the 45 min crawl for just 2 kms that day in that traffic didn't have any effect on me. I was very mindful of someone rubbing their vehicle against mine though. Once on free roads, I stretched the legs of this beauty. My god, it felt so good. All of you will know that there is a huge difference in TD car and a brand new one. The feeling of acceleration in a new car certainly hits you in all the good places. My wife and kid were waiting for me eagerly at home. Took them for a spin as soon as I reached home. It was a happy day for us all.

Experience right now - It's been 2 weeks since I got my new car and I went out in it every day at least for a short ride. Couldn't stop myself from enjoying the drive quality if offers. Took it 4 times on the rugged patch of road (or should I say no road at all) on the nearby hill. Loving the 4X4 options. No other car in the recent past has given me such driving pleasure.

Verdict - Agreed it is slightly over-pricey. Agreed it is slightly short on space when compared to it's competitors. But if you are a small family that don't require too much space, looking for powerful, strong built and (the most important one) a very safe car, Compass is for you. Like I said earlier, the sheer driving pleasure is unmatchable and like many here said - "It is a Driver's car". Happy and safe driving everyone. Cheers.

Here is a pic of me taking the delivery

Name:  Jeep.JPG
Views: 1437
Size:  29.5 KB

Last edited by Sheel : 30th October 2021 at 11:41. Reason: Typo.
Swaroopblr is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 16:01   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, the car & colour looks awesome. I although booked Seltos already but I am still actively looking for used compass options.

If you can PM me the deal you got, it will be a really good thing to know.

Wishing you much more miles with this beauty.
Thanks man, I can't send PM currently being a new member. I've shared the prices on post above. Quoting that below

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasierra View Post
The vehicle is Nov 2019 manufactured, registered in Jan 2020. I purchased it at 15k odd kms. The asking price was 26.5L, which I finally negotiated down to 24L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekar.ca View Post
Many congratulations deltasierra. Whilst some of the pros/ cons don't apply to me (more of a recent buyer in MT), I agree on many of them. The 2.0 engine is such a beast and a pleasure to drive around. Wishing you many thousand kms with this red beauty!!
Thanks man, congrats to you too on the purchase! The engine indeed is quite punchy especially in MT avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
How do you deal with the DPF issues. Do you simply keep a can full time in your car? So if its ever required you have some handy already?

Please also do let us know if you manage to disable the 80/120 beeps. I already know some pals who are hunting around for solutions for this.
Thanks man! The 7-seater version is still quite sometime away, hopefully Jeep is able to sort their service issues by then. Heard from somewhere that they are delaying the launch to establish a better dealer network, not sure how true that is.

Since I have done only 2.5k km, haven't yet had to fill Ad-Blue. Got a tankful with the car. A full tank takes up 13L of DEF with warning coming up at around 40% level. 13L lasts approx 5-6k km, so keeping a can handy is not necessary but can be done on longer road trips.

Regarding the 80/120 beeps, haven't been able to find a way to disable them. Thankfully, the 80kmph beep sounds only once after crossing the limit unlike the 120 one which is continuous.

Quote:
Yes the seats were covered with plastic. Only that the driver seat area was partially removed. A few more pictures from today.
Congrats on your purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaroopblr View Post

The journey to get the car I always wanted...

Congrats on your purchase, do post few more pictures of the car.
deltasierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 17:20   #2921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaroopblr View Post
[h3]
Verdit - Agreed it is slightly over-pricey. Agreed it is slightly short on space when compared to it's competitors. But if you are a small family that don't require too much space, looking for powerful, strong built and (the most important one) a very safe car, Compass is for you. Like I said earlier, the sheer driving pleasure is unmatchable and like many here said - "It is a Driver's car". Happy and safe driving everyone. Cheers.

Attachment 2225505
Congrats on the buy. Wishing many happy miles ahead.

Do post photos and keep sharing your experience, also would be great to look at the terrain, driving on which nailed the choice for you.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 11:37   #2922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
This is the one I had saved locally. Was found in one of the Jeep threads right here in TBHP. The rates were accurate since I was charged the exact same amount when I took delivery of my car in June 2021.
Thanks a lot. This is very helpful. Can you/anyone else please post pictures of the slush mats? I have heard good things about Jeep mats and I am assuming the slush mats are the best ones. Any pictures will be immensely helpful.
Old 30th October 2021, 12:24   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. This is very helpful. Can you/anyone else please post pictures of the slush mats? I have heard good things about Jeep mats and I am assuming the slush mats are the best ones. Any pictures will be immensely helpful.
Yeah I have slush mats. They are really good quality ones and actually do look premium. Don't have pictures now but will post some a little later.
Old 31st October 2021, 14:38   #2924
BHPian

Anyone knows if it is possible to install Fog lamps in new Jeep Compass 2021 model?

I have 1.4 DDCT Petrol Sport.

There is no sport given for any light insertion in the bottom section however am curious if anyone has done that or thought about it.

I feel cars headlight is not that powerful so if I get the fog lamps, it should improve till some extent.

I would want to upgrade the headlight also in the near future, right now if I do that it might impact the warranty.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
RealAbhinavRajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 10:22   #2925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab_bsp View Post
I was in the same situation for almost a year...but have finally booked the Diesel AT Limited. I have a dodgy left knee, so AT is a must for me.

30L is a lot, but this will probably be the last car I'll drive myself, so why not - heart over head

As you mentioned, the only 'discount' is the insurance, which I said I'll buy from outside and so the dealer matched the quote. I also bargained on the handling charges which they reduced from 20k to 10k.

Taking the delivery on 7th Oct!!
Hi Arnab, I had one more query. How much time did the Kolkata RTO take to register the car? As in from the time of final disbursement to the dealer to them/you receiving the registration no.?

I have been pushing them to make the delivery before Diwali but seems impossible now. Given that there are another 4 days of holiday here, my delivery will get delayed to next week despite me clearing all the payments (Bank delayed their disbursement though).

Last edited by Pancham : 1st November 2021 at 10:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks