Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 19:43   #2566
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Abhishek, no car is perfect. Every car has some or the other shortcoming. It is us who has to choose what are its best attributes and whether they are on top of our priority list. Take the example of 2010 2011 model BMW cars. We had one in the family and its door handles got so sticky and the plastics even literally melted on door handles due to excessive heat in north India.

I have a Compass diesel manual for nearly 3 years and driven about 58k . It is driven on even non existent roads for few Kms everyday. The rattles are far less than my other car. The area where it shines is on the highways. The ride, power ,handling and even the fuel efficiency is excellent on the highways. It is not a car for congested city driving, as clutch travel is bit long and it becomes hard if you half clutch and rev the engine. Their is no problem if you know how to drive it (as it zero play which is there in most Indian and Japnese cars ) that is use the torque and shift gears by rev matching. Either use 1st gear or if you are using 2nd gear then use torque of engine to sail through the traffic without using throttle..But it's one major drawback which irritates me in city is the big turning radius.

So if your major driving is going to be in city , look elsewhere but it is to be a highway car than a few cars and only luxury SUVs can match it. I am talking about diesel manual not automatic as I have not driven it on highways so can't comment.

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 28th July 2021 at 19:45.
Sandeep500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 21:48   #2567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhisheksinh View Post
I mean, when you see it from a distance, the colours seem off. Mainly white always looks off white on Compass.

The downside is that it can be easily mistaken as old generation Creta and I will have to stretch my budget by 1.5 to 1.7L
Because the white color is off white in the pre-facelift Compass
The color is called Pearl White and it is one of the most popular shades in the Compass, second only after red. It is another thing if you do not like the color. In the 2021 facelift, they have changed the color to a more standard white, called bright white i guess.

I am surprised you say that the Tucson can get mistaken for a Creta. While the rear resembles the old gen i20, the rest of the car has a strong and beautiful design identity of its own, and definitely does not resemble a Creta.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 12:36   #2568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Because the white color is off white in the pre-facelift Compass
The color is called Pearl White and it is one of the most popular shades in the Compass, second only after red. It is another thing if you do not like the color. In the 2021 facelift, they have changed the color to a more standard white, called bright white i guess.
Makes sense now

Quote:
I am surprised you say that the Tucson can get mistaken for a Creta. While the rear resembles the old gen i20, the rest of the car has a strong and beautiful design identity of its own, and definitely does not resemble a Creta.
It can be mistaken as old generation Creta from the front at first glance and yes, back resembles old generation i20.

Old generation Creta and Tucson:
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-creta.png  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-tucson1.png  

Abhisheksinh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 14:42   #2569
BHPian

The dealer is giving a discount of 1L on Compass Limited MT. This will include essential kits and insurance (Zero dep + engine protection).

The waiting period is 4 to 6 weeks. Should I wait for festival seasons for more discounts?

Earlier, another sales representative working for the same dealer told me that they could offer a 70K discount on Compass which they have in their stock.

The sales guy I am dealing with says that the car will be a new one and not from his stock. I am not looking for a vehicle that has been in the dealers stock for months.

What should be the date of manufacturing if the vehicle is booked next week.
Old 29th July 2021, 15:57   #2570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
JEEP Service Experience in Mumbai

My new Jeep Compass (1350kms) was stationary in bumper to bumper traffic and got hit by an idiot who might be on phone or pressed accelerator instead of a break. I so wished it was a Maruti but it turned out to be a Bolero.
Its gut wrenching to see your new ride being in an accident with no fault of ours, but hey, it happens to most of us. I remember a state transport bus cut me on a round about and broke my car's headlight and front fender, this was week 1 of ownership. Forget about the offender, it might be tough but swallow the pill and pamper your ride post repairs. Thats the best therapy you can ask for dealing with this situation. But don't let off Jeep that easy. The things you say are unacceptable. These things are bound to happen when there is only one workshop for a huge area of town. The same thing happens with me and Skoda, as the distance between Udaipur (RJ) and Ahmedabad (GJ) is 250 kms, and they have only one workshop at each location. So you can imagine the rush of vehicles especially during monsoons, and every time I have a complaint I have to drive 130 kms to get it checked. You must write to Jeep customer care and make sure they address this issue. Once the service centre left a nasty cut on my steering wheel and I made them replace the same at their cost! There is no excuse for giving the car back with forced damage whenever it comes in for repair. They must be careful, and fearful of the consequences.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 18:46   #2571
RDG

Quote:
The dealer is giving a discount of 1L on Compass Limited MT. This will include essential kits and insurance (Zero dep + engine protection).

The waiting period is 4 to 6 weeks. Should I wait for festival seasons for more discounts?

Earlier, another sales representative working for the same dealer told me that they could offer a 70K discount on Compass which they have in their stock.

The sales guy I am dealing with says that the car will be a new one and not from his stock. I am not looking for a vehicle that has been in the dealers stock for months.

What should be the date of manufacturing if the vehicle is booked next week.
Could you provide the breakup of the discount? 1L discount on the 2021 facelift model seems little surprising. I guess 2-3 months should be ok, given that there are no issues while doing the PDI.
I also booked one last week, initially the dealer mentioned 4 weeks. Today I got the call that the vehicle is arrived at stockyard from the factory today. And I can do the PDI tomorrow at showroom. I guess its bit dicey in my case as well and proper PDI can only take care of the concerns that I am having.
Old 29th July 2021, 21:45   #2572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
Could you provide the breakup of the discount? 1L discount on the 2021 facelift model seems little surprising. I guess 2-3 months should be ok, given that there are no issues while doing the PDI.
I also booked one last week, initially the dealer mentioned 4 weeks. Today I got the call that the vehicle is arrived at stockyard from the factory today. And I can do the PDI tomorrow at showroom. I guess its bit dicey in my case as well and proper PDI can only take care of the concerns that I am having.
That 1L discount is a sham, with all due respect. It also includes the accessories which itself is 25K I thinks. Insurance is overpriced by around 70K. So in reality it’s nothing but an eyewash. They still have not started giving proper discounts.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 22:20   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
I don’t have a proper breakup with me. The sales guy didn’t have a clue on what has been deducted or discounted from which section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
That 1L discount is a sham, with all due respect. It also includes the accessories which itself is 25K I thinks. Insurance is overpriced by around 70K. So in reality it’s nothing but an eyewash. They still have not started giving proper discounts.
Do you mean that the discount is on the lower side, or is it on the higher side?

I don’t want to go for a car lying around in their stock for months. I would rather wait for any festival discounts or take lesser discounts and get a new piece.

The sales representative is confident that they will order the car once I pay the booking amount. He told me that the company makes different variants in different months.

Ex: Limited (O) in March and S variant in April. I don’t believe this.

Without discounts the on road price is Rs 25,78,000, This is what I got upon requesting:
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210727-5.13.42-pm.jpeg  

Old 29th July 2021, 22:43   #2574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Solving the rattling rubbing noises in the Compass is fairly simple, and I had explained it ony ownership thread.
There are two things you need:
A good Silicone spray (wuerth is a good brand which you can get on Amazon).
Spray this in the dashboard binnacle where the two plastic parts rub against each other. Also spray this at the A pillar Joint and also at the front of the dash (near the windshield). This will solve the rubbing/ scraping noises.

Second source of rattling is from the door locks. On the door lock latch, apply a few rounds of duct tape so that the play in the lock with the latch is eliminated.

Thirdly, spray all the door beadings and the door rubbers with the same silicone spray.

These three things will make your in car experience much quieter.

The fit and build of the Jeep Compass (Gen 1) is also very good, but in India the hot weather causes issues and I have experienced the same also in my Skoda cars too.
Hey, there are many Wuerth products in Amazon. Pls elaborate which one exactly
Old 29th July 2021, 22:50   #2575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do you mean that the discount is on the lower side, or is it on the higher side?

Without discounts the on road price is Rs 25,78,000, This is what I got upon requesting:
I meant there are no real discounts going on. A discount on insurance is no discount at all. Actual insurance price for limited Option is around 70k but he has quoted 1.13L as I can see. So there goes 43k. Also he has included the accessories kit.

What is M.Tax btw?

For the month of manufacturing, ask for the VIN and get it decoded in the forum.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 23:13   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I meant there are no real discounts going on. A discount on insurance is no discount at all. Actual insurance price for limited Option is around 70k but he has quoted 1.13L as I can see. So there goes 43k. Also he has included the accessories kit.

What is M.Tax btw?
I believe it's 3% of the basic price of a car.
https://ahmedabadcity.gov.in/portal/...tax_static.jsp
3% of 22,69,000 (Ex-showroom) is 68,070. The quote shows M.Tax as 46,221 (without discount).

Insurance (43K) + Essential Kit (18K) + Depot Charges (10k) = 71K

Quote:
For the month of manufacturing, ask for the VIN and get it decoded in the forum.
They will give me VIN once they get it from the company after paying the booking amount of 1L. I have not negotiated the booking amount.
Old 30th July 2021, 00:47   #2577
BHPian

Is the US getting the Jeep Compass Facelift now? Came across this video on YouTube posted on 22nd July.

The New Redesigned 2022 Compass Reveal

Raghunath Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 14:34   #2578

Dear members,

I am considering buying a Compass Diesel AT. Two questions bothering:
1. Is the AT gearbox effective on ghats etc? Does it hold onto the lower gears for longer?
2. Is the AT gearbox effective while overtaking on single lane highways

Look forward to hearing.

Regards,
KD
Old 1st August 2021, 18:55   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Solving the rattling rubbing noises in the Compass is fairly simple, and I had explained it ony ownership thread.
There are two things you need:
A good Silicone spray (wuerth is a good brand which you can get on Amazon).
Spray this in the dashboard binnacle where the two plastic parts rub against each other. Also spray this at the A pillar Joint and also at the front of the dash (near the windshield). This will solve the rubbing/ scraping noises.

Second source of rattling is from the door locks. On the door lock latch, apply a few rounds of duct tape so that the play in the lock with the latch is eliminated.

Thirdly, spray all the door beadings and the door rubbers with the same silicone spray.

These three things will make your in car experience much quieter.

The fit and build of the Jeep Compass (Gen 1) is also very good, but in India the hot weather causes issues and I have experienced the same also in my Skoda cars too.
On the contrary. The noise in my car seems to increase when it's cold outside.
And even if that's the case, Indian weather should've been put into consideration specially when the car is manufactured in India!

I already have the silicone spray, and I keep spraying on rattles like I do at home with Hit and mosquitoes! They just keep coming back!

Also, here's a video of the noise I have

I've visited the SVC at least 4-5 times, and it hasn't been resolved even though I left the car with them for 3 days last time. They even claim to have changed the dashboard (have invoice saying instrument panel, not sure if same. Part -> K5UT08DX9AF).

Quote:
The number of complaints on the Facebook group indicates the same.

Paying 25L on a car that rattles is undoubtedly not a pleasant experience.

Apart from dashboard noise, any mechanical issues which you faced?

I have not read many issues with Tucson, but the number of people buying Tucson in India is also on the lower side, so maybe we hear fewer complaints. Still, I feel Tucson will be more reliable.
I'm sure all complaints have some weightage. I am planning to write a detailed (horrendous) ownership experience so far with the Jeep.

No mechanical issues so far.

Latest issue is that the Auto start stop feature has stopped working, no warnings on the cluster at all. I got this checked from the SVC last time, and they said there's no issue and that it's working fine. That's been 2-3 weeks now. I've been driving everyday, and it has not worked even once.

Has anyone else faced this issue?

Agreed about the lower Tucson reviews around. Most common seems to be about tyres (Nexen). But I suppose no news is good news? Tucson might not appeal much to the heart, but might just be hassle free when compared to the Jeep.
My opinion sure will be biased because of my own experience so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos.sec View Post
Dear members,

I am considering buying a Compass Diesel AT. Two questions bothering:
1. Is the AT gearbox effective on ghats etc? Does it hold onto the lower gears for longer?
2. Is the AT gearbox effective while overtaking on single lane highways

Look forward to hearing.

Regards,
KD
I haven't faced any issues with the gearbox on ghats, and it manages just fine.
Sudden overtakes have to be well planned, unless you use the manual mode and hold on to a lower gear. There is a considerable lag after putting the foot down, and the gearbox responding.

Last edited by veyron999 : 1st August 2021 at 19:00.
veyron999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 05:31   #2580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
Is the US getting the Jeep Compass Facelift now? Came across this video on YouTube posted on 22nd July.

The New Redesigned 2022 Compass Reveal

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=QJO0P7BRSDg
Yes. The US website still shows the old model
what's with us in 2021, will be launched in US in 2022

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot-20210802-5.29.07-am.png

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks