Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2021, 19:23   #2476
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Apologies Lamborghini and dr_petrolhead for the late response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I would expect routine service of the compass to be in the range of 15-17K.
Thank you for the valuable inputs! This really helps. I too am of the opinion ‘safety above money’. Family members were disinclined to spend the extra money. Will somehow have to convince them even if it takes some more time

Rest of the expenses are ok since they would be more or less once in few years. Thank you once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_petrolhead View Post
Hello sir!

We were in the exact situation around August last year.
Welcome to T-BHP buddy! Man! Please don’t call me sir — I feel old

Thank you for your pointers. It really helps and was in no way confusing! I’m considering an automatic now just for the convenience. After driving manuals for nearly 2 decades, I feel my left leg deserves some rest. But this pushes my budget even further. Will do a TD of both the manual and automatic as soon as the lockdown ends, convince family members and decide
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 21:32   #2477
BHPian

Another suggestion needed.. I am almost sold on the idea of 1.4 DCT auto Sports. Reading in many places including our forum about the mileage.. bit worried.

My usage is about 9-10k KMs per year. I plan to keep the car for at least 8-10 years. I don’t have major concerns about budget. Should I go with a diesel or Petrol?
Old 25th June 2021, 22:12   #2478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Another suggestion needed.. I am almost sold on the idea of 1.4 DCT auto Sports. Reading in many places including our forum about the mileage.. bit worried.

My usage is about 9-10k KMs per year. I plan to keep the car for at least 8-10 years. I don’t have major concerns about budget. Should I go with a diesel or Petrol?
Current owners can come in but I have been on the fence for the longest period possible. The FE in the petrol variant is a cause of concern for me. In your case, the month fuel expense will be around INR 12k assuming FE of around 7kmpl which is what people on a average get in city conditions.

P.S: Just today I was contemplating the Sports Auto. Lovely option but that FE is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by Pancham : 25th June 2021 at 22:13.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 23:09   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Current owners can come in but I have been on the fence for the longest period possible. The FE in the petrol variant is a cause of concern for me. In your case, the month fuel expense will be around INR 12k assuming FE of around 7kmpl which is what people on a average get in city conditions.

P.S: Just today I was contemplating the Sports Auto. Lovely option but that FE is a deal breaker for me.
IMO do not think the INR 12k per month calculation is correct, even at current petrol rates, Pancham.

10000 km per year translates to ~800 kms per month. Not all that will be in city, so assume a 70:30 city:highway split. On my current experience of past 2 years, the Compass petrol auto can easily deliver 10 kmpl in city and 12-14 kmpl in highways, if driven carefully like all turbo petrols should be by the way. Note my Fuelio app data below for reference. Average for last 7000 kms is at 12.3 kmpl, and that for last 20,000 kms is 11.9 kmpl.

Fuel costs would be then around INR 7.5k monthly, if driven 800 kms per month. Of course driving style can change things, for the good or worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_20210626225743_fuelio.jpg  

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 26th June 2021 at 23:11.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 23:34   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
IMO do not think the INR 12k per month calculation is correct, even at current petrol rates, Pancham.

Fuel costs would be then around INR 7.5k monthly, if driven 800 kms per month. Of course driving style can change things, for the good or worse.
Man, I genuinely wish and hope that the petrol version’s FE is what you mention ~ 10-12kmpl. Actually, my calculations are usually a bit on the conservative side to avoid any future shocks. Since my driving is purely in the city, I do not take highway mileage into consideration. And Sheelapratosh seems to from Bangalore where traffic is even worse. Also, with everything opening up, peak Delhi traffic and with 100% AC are you sure one can get 11-12 KMPL. If the answer is yes, I will truly be relieved as poor FE is something that is like a major mental block for me when it comes to the Compass. I really don’t want to drive a manual (read diesel MT) in peak city traffic.

Last edited by Pancham : 26th June 2021 at 23:37.
Old 27th June 2021, 07:01   #2481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Man, I genuinely wish and hope that the petrol version’s FE is what you mention ~ 10-12kmpl. Actually, my calculations are usually a bit on the conservative side to avoid any future shocks. Since my driving is purely in the city, I do not take highway mileage into consideration. And Sheelapratosh seems to from Bangalore where traffic is even worse. Also, with everything opening up, peak Delhi traffic and with 100% AC are you sure one can get 11-12 KMPL. If the answer is yes, I will truly be relieved as poor FE is something that is like a major mental block for me when it comes to the Compass. I really don’t want to drive a manual (read diesel MT) in peak city traffic.
Let me put it this way, Pancham. There are many in NCR who get less than me- in the 7-8 kmpl range. These are a most vocal lot- you see them cribbing everywhere and that creates a domino effect. Also there are a few who get even more than me- 11-12 kmpl in city. You rarely hear them because they are a happy, satisfied bunch.

All boils down to how you drive it. With a light foot, momentum focused driving, and planned moves, there is a huge difference in fuel efficiency. You have to see it to believe it. Cars are not one driving style fit all- i always advocate changing your driving style to suit the car. There are lot of turbo petrol driving tips by our moderators in the forum. Do go through them. Very useful.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 08:57   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All boils down to how you drive it. With a light foot, momentum focused driving, and planned moves, there is a huge difference in fuel efficiency. You have to see it to believe it. Cars are not one driving style fit all- i always advocate changing your driving style to suit the car. There are lot of turbo petrol driving tips by our moderators in the forum. Do go through them. Very useful.
Okay, I believe you. I have experienced something similar with my i20 petrol.

Thank you for this. I am reconsidering the petrol options now.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 11:36   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Let me put it this way, Pancham. There are many in NCR who get less than me- in the 7-8 kmpl range. These are a most vocal lot- you see them cribbing everywhere and that creates a domino effect. Also there are a few who get even more than me- 11-12 kmpl in city. You rarely hear them because they are a happy, satisfied bunch.

I agree, I also have had about 10 kmpl on average over the past 3 1/2 years driving mostly around NCR.

But traffic, short trips and driving style can have a major impact on the fuel economy.
Fusion2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:54   #2484
BHPian

Posting a contrary view here

What is the point of spending so much money on the car and driving it with the light foot? We buy expensive cars to experience the driving pleasures they offer. People buy compass to experience the driving and handling pleasure, they buy German cars to enjoy the solidarity, buy the turbo petrol / turbo diesel engines to experience the mid range surge of power and the list goes on.

Spending close to 20-25L on the car and then assuming that it will be driven on light foot and hence providing the efficiency of 10 kmpl is a construct I find hard to digest. Yes there are some tips to be followed broadly to drive turbo petrol engines and we should follow them to an extent possible but not to an extent where it takes away all the pleasure

Having the choice to drive the car whatever way want (although responsibly) is more important. And therefore, one should always take the pessimistic estimates of Turbo petrol efficiency figures and plan accordingly. If you can live with it, you will enjoy the car, else every time you press the pedal, you will keep looking at MID for efficiency figures
SourPai is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 01:34   #2485
BHPian

Posting this Question here as I am not getting a response in the 2021 Jeep Compass thread.

Questions for fellow owners:

1. What's the best use of Start/Stop? I have a habit of putting the gear back to neutral and press the brake rather than clutch and brake in bumper-to-bumper which often results in the engine getting shut down. Thank god it has a physical button to turn the feature off. Is there a better way of using it in bumper-to-bumper traffic? Wish it was more intelligent.

2. I have a Galaxy Blue car. How often should I self-wax it using Formula 1?

3. Apparently Jeep Life has a vibrant community. I am unable to find it. Any suggestions?

4. Is the AC not as cool as some of the other cars? I had a Polo which cooled much better at lower fan speeds. Here I have to keep it at 21 and at a very high speed to get decent cooling.
Old 29th June 2021, 10:33   #2486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post

3. Apparently Jeep Life has a vibrant community. I am unable to find it. Any suggestions?
If you are referring to the telegram group, then PM me your mobile number. I can ask the admins to add you.

Quote:
4. Is the AC not as cool as some of the other cars? I had a Polo which cooled much better at lower fan speeds. Here I have to keep it at 21 and at a very high speed to get decent cooling.
I normally keep it between 20-22 or at speed 3. If parked under sun, then I start with speed 4 and later reduce it.
Old 29th June 2021, 10:46   #2487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPai View Post

What is the point of spending so much money on the car and driving it with the light foot? We buy expensive cars to experience the driving pleasures they offer. People buy compass to experience the driving and handling pleasure, they buy German cars to enjoy the solidarity, buy the turbo petrol / turbo diesel engines to experience the mid range surge of power and the list goes on.

Spending close to 20-25L on the car and then assuming that it will be driven on light foot and hence providing the efficiency of 10 kmpl is a construct I find hard to digest. Yes there are some tips to be followed broadly to drive turbo petrol engines and we should follow them to an extent possible but not to an extent where it takes away all the pleasure

Having the choice to drive the car whatever way want (although responsibly) is more important. And therefore, one should always take the pessimistic estimates of Turbo petrol efficiency figures and plan accordingly. If you can live with it, you will enjoy the car, else every time you press the pedal, you will keep looking at MID for efficiency figures
The question was asked, hence answered by some of us. The point being that some people who get low mileage seem to be setting the perception of the car's low fuel efficiency, which perhaps is not really deserved.

Driving in city traffic, one still enjoys the car's handling, whether with a light foot or not. On the highway, even at high speeds, the petrol version will still give at least 12-13 kmpl.

I agree, after spending so much, fuel efficiency ought not be the point that is top of mind. Yet it still seems to be a deciding factor for many.

We are only trying to put out our experience with the car, people still will make up their own minds
Fusion2006 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 12:15   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPai View Post

Your view is the common sense view, people justify the petrol with all sorts of things, light foot, low running, low service(not true when you get a turbo petrol), the list is endless. The truth is that small petrol engines justify some low carbon regulations, the same ones that pushed diesel engines to people whose running can barely justify car ownership. Unless you have some fake environmental regulation, like the 10 year rule in NCR, diesels are ahead for any vehicle, the only exception in the Indian market , I can think of is the 330i vs the 320d, if fuel economy isn't a concern. My friend test drove a Compass automatic and he dropped it immediately, said the performance was sad. He drives an Octavia 1.8TSI, so he is the kind of person who can afford a Compass, not too bothered by the fuel costs either.

The thing to remember is that mileage on a diesel is unaffected by load, so the petrol ARAI figures mean nothing when you load the petrol with passengers and luggage and drive with the AC on. Single digit fuel efficiency is nothing impressive, it just turns every long trip into a decent fuel pump hunt. If driving with a light foot is the order of the day, then taking the bus will be a lot less stressful.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 12:23   #2489

Hey fellas!

I've been on the lookout for my first car since a long time now(north of 8 months). I had an original budget window of 15-20L, which now has jumped up to 20-25L. When I started the hunt, Jeep's interior was a let down for me and I dropped it from my contention list just because of the aged interiors. I'm a sucker for finesse as well as a modern & classy setup, which it was missing back then(I felt it had a more rugged sorta thing going on). But, that didn't take away from the fact that the exterior look was something I drooled over from the start(when I didn't even have a job ).

Going through the forums here for days without break(love reading being a nerd), I narrowed down my selection to Seltos HTK+ diesel AT. Interestingly, the waiting period was around 3-4 months. The new facelift of Seltos arrived and the variants & features were shuffled. I ended up changing the booking to GTX+ D AT.

Around a month back, saw the news of Seltos being spilt in half while it was involved in some accident. Agreed, the vehicle speed can be a crucial factor in determining the damage, but splitting in half? Metal is not supposed to be brittle, it expands or contracts. I don't know the real physics behind that sort of damage, but that incident did put a dent in my confidence. Moreover, I started getting messages related to the same incident from my relatives(they were aware that I've booked Seltos). Result? The tiring reconsideration process starts!

I stretched my budget to 25 and thought of giving the Harrier and Compass a chance. Although I had taken a TD of Harrier AT earlier as well, I was not impressed by the steering feedback and interior finish of the car(TD vehicle was creaking at a lot of places). Still, I went ahead with a fresh mind and took another test drive. Overall, the same experience again; though I love the way it looks, the AT box, and the space on offer.

That takes me to the Compass. I looked at the price chart and Sports/Longitude DCT was in my budget. Did some research and again went through the forums for 2 days straight, ended up canceling the idea of Petrol Turbo. My run would be 70:30 highway-city. I expect a monthly run of 2-2.5K . It may be just me but I don't want to be that person who is always vary of the FE, so I decided to let go off the AT Petrol line and ended up finalizing Limited Diesel(considering my run). Also, it's just the starting phase of my career, so I hope you guys understand I don't have big pockets yet . Moreover, I'm ready to bear the upfront cost and be at peace later on.

Post the research, I went to experience the vehicle yesterday. The moment I entered the showroom, I knew I want THIS BEAST. Luckily, there were no other customers for the SA to attend to. So we were catered by not one but two of them. We spent a fair amount of time in the showroom itself, jumping from variant to variant. My overall experience summed up:
  • The SA were courteous & well mannered, and also knew what they are talking about.
  • All the colors were on display. So no problems with that.
  • Looked mesmerizing from every angle.
  • Interiors are next level now. Although, to be honest, didn't personally like the fabric touch in Sports/Longitude. Luckily I'm going for Limited, so no concerns there. Although I wish it had black interiors, I would prefer that over grey/brown/black tones.
  • Driving dynamics, suspension and steering feedback are a notch above Harrier.
  • The SA took over the control to demonstrate the anti-roll mitigation feature, It was a heart in mouth situation for a moment when he twisted the vehicle like a toy. Kudos to Compass for holding its ground though, never felt out of control.
  • The music system, although lacking a subwoofer, sounded fabulous. I don't think I would need to upgrade.
  • Rear space is just about fine. But since it would primarily be carrying just me, I'm fine with that.
  • Dummy buttons are a let down and show cost cutting measures. Even the gear knob lacks a leather wrap. I know I'm being picky here, but these are small things which won't cost fortunes to get corrected.
  • One part was interesting. I have never experienced this feature elsewhere, so pardon me if it's something very trivial. So if the accelerator is let go off after shifting to any gear, the vehicle would maintain a relevant speed instead of coming to a halt. Say I engage the 6th gar, the car would maintain a speed of 60-70 even without any accelerator throttle. This is NEAT.
  • The electric parking switch needs to be repositioned to the driver's side. The current position just calls for a hazard. Although the SA demonstrated a situation where he touched it briefly while going at around 90kph. Except a slight jerk, there wasn't any noticeable effect on stability.
  • The suspension over a rough patch was commendable. I guess the independent suspension helps.
  • The overall experience was very smooth and I spent over 3 hours in-total over there. I was quoted a total of 26.84L on road. Insurance was quoted at 1.5 lac, later shaving off 50k as a discount to bring the price down to 26.3L. I feel this a tactic to intentionally bump the insurance price, only to slash it later, giving an impression of a discount.

Phew! It's been a long post. Anyway, the next phase is deciding on the color. I'm equally torn between Red & Black. Any inputs from long term users regarding the aging of Red color?

Also, can we expect a discount on ex-showroom as well? Or is it just the insurance? What about insurance from an external party?

Last, why is this handling charges still a thing? I believe it was taken down long back. To any recent buyer: did you have to pay this?
v_square is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 21:23   #2490
BHPian

I'm currently looking for a preowned Compass Diesel. Have come across one 90000 KM run Longitude 2017 version. The car from the pictures looks good, yet to verify physically. Agent says that Car has been serviced regularly and doesn't have any accidental history (again yet to verify). As of now, my concern is around 90,000 KM on the odometer. Is it worthwhile to buy a car with such high mileage? If I decide to go ahead with the deal, what are the other major expenses that I might have to incur in the near future?
Compass Owners - Please suggest.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks