Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2020, 15:28   #1726
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
From your comment I understand this can be done - will see how it works out. Anyone else who uses this, please opine.
I don't think this will make much difference. I am happy keeping it in drive mode at all times. In incline traffic situation --

I will use brakes and drive mode if it is a short jam. For longer ones, after couple of minutes, follow this just to decrease the load on transmission.

1. Fully press the brakes
2. Shift to neutral
3. Auto parking brakes on
4. Wait for 5 seconds for front traffic to move on,
5. Shift to drive
6. Release electronic brakes.

Rest, just enjoy the multiair and DCT. Don't forget to buy an extended warranty upto 5 years.
Old 8th February 2020, 19:25   #1727
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Compass BS6 MT Lineup

Here is the Compass BS6 MT lineup and pricing list. No more Limited / Limited(O) variant and also in BS6 MT, 4x4 is available only with Limited Plus.

The difference between BS4 4x4 Limited Plus and BS6 4x4 Limited Plus is around 1.2L.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_202002081843302.png

Price list
Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_202002081848342.png

Jeep Compass : Official Review-screenshot_202002081845322.png
arun_josie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 22:27   #1728
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Man, a person buying a 25L Compass will be without any sort of leather in his car. Not even on the steering. The least they could have done was equip the Longitude plus with a leather wrapped steering. 6 airbags as standard, or at least from the Longitude variants would have been great too, but not equipping a 25L car with leather wrapped steering is criminal. The same thing has been done by Kia by not providing leather wrapped steering in the entry and mid level variants of the Carnival which are going to cost 30-35L on road.

There is no denying the fact that the Compass is mechanically a superior car than many or perhaps all of its competitors but they need to add more features in the lower variants to attract the fence sitters with a budget of 25L who are otherwise looking at the top variants of the Hector, Harrier or the Seltos. Not too forget the upcoming XUV 500. Enthusiasts or non-enthusiasts, everyone likes to be sat in a well equipped car. It just enhances the ownership experience.

Its a different thing if Jeep is happy with the present sales number of the Compass.

Last edited by AYP : 8th February 2020 at 22:52.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 22:38   #1729
Distinguished - BHPian

I’d like to know how much or if at all the Compass is mechanically superior to the 170hp Harrier. Is that multilink rear setup on the Jeep that much a difference maker over Tata’s torsion beam setup? How big is the difference? Is it something only serious enthusiasts can notice or is it enough to matter in day to day driving? If we compare only the manuals for a proper apples to apples comparison, is the Compass actually significantly better to drive than the Harrier 170?

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 8th February 2020 at 22:42.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 06:20   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I’d like to know how much or if at all the Compass is mechanically superior to the 170hp Harrier. Is that multilink rear setup on the Jeep that much a difference maker over Tata’s torsion beam setup? How big is the difference? Is it something only serious enthusiasts can notice or is it enough to matter in day to day driving? If we compare only the manuals for a proper apples to apples comparison, is the Compass actually significantly better to drive than the Harrier 170?
It is not just about the multi link suspension, but it is about the the cohesiveness of putting together or blending of all the parts which makes a complete package. You may get all the top parts from different sources but if they don't work in sync than it will not give that feel. All this can only be felt and cannot be described clearly.. Like take the case of previous generation Ford Fiesta and Verna, even though Verna was more powerful and had better specs on paper but in real world it was not a patch on that feel and cohesiveness that fiesta provided.
No doubt Harrier in its current form looks a complete package ,but will have to wait for the review. All said but one thing is for sure that it looks drool worthy and everyone wants to own one just for the looks alone.

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 9th February 2020 at 06:41.
Sandeep500 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 11:52   #1731
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree it is all about cohesiveness and the art of integration and tuning and not individual features. The Harrier is mixing together a chassis from Land Rover, an engine from Fiat and a transmission from Hyundai, with the suspension and a few other components tweaked by Tata India. So the handiwork and designs of 4 different companies are coming together in one car. The distinctive characteristics of each are different:
  1. Hyundai stands for comfort, low maintenance and lightweight parts.
  2. Land Rover stands for toughness, off-road credentials, built-to-last
  3. Fiat stands for style and engineering finesse
  4. TATA India stands for robustness, ease and low cost of maintenance (although maintenance will be high)

Now, these are like horses pulling the cart in slightly different angles. Will TATA have done a good job of integrating and synergizing these traits into a strong overall package that retains the individual strengths, or do these distinguishing factors neutralise each other and result in a watered down, “jack of various trades”? Only time will tell.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 9th February 2020 at 11:54.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 15:03   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
I don't think this will make much difference. I am happy keeping it in drive mode at all times.
Rest, just enjoy the multiair and DCT. Don't forget to buy an extended warranty upto 5 years.
Thanks, Roadster. Appreciate it. On a related note, here is a query from a fellow Jeeper who asked if I can post his query in TeamBHP. People in the know-how, please share thoughts around his question.

"I am a fellow jeeper from the city of Trivandrum, Kerala. I own a Jeep Compass Limited Petrol Automatic clocked at 14500 kms. I love the jeep for what it is and what it offers.
The 1.4 turbocharged petrol engine mated to the FPT-C725 Dual Dry clutch Transmission seemed to be good for the city drives and some enthusiastic driving. Hence bought it !
The dual clutch transmissions have long faced reliability issues in India and that is what worries me the most. Around one year after the delivery, the transmission is making noise at the transition between changing gears.

1. A ''tuk-tuk'' noise is heard while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st.
2. Sometimes a continuous ''tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk'' noise is heard while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at around 20-23 kmph.
No issues during upshifting and everything else seems normal, including the upshifting/downshifting rpms.I suspect that this noise is coming from the actuators.

Is there anyone else experiencing the same ? I would like to know whether this is a normal thing, common issue or a individual issue before approaching the SC!
The fact is, out of 20,000 compasses sold, 80% are diesels. The petrol community is not at all strong. The mechanics repair diesels more than petrols at the SC by a great margin. A SC advisor that I approached was totally unaware of these issues as they see petrol autos rarely for service.
Regards,
Mathew Antony"
anoop cheeran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 17:26   #1733
BHPian

What do we normally do when something comes in front of our vehicle..apply brakes. Similarly when you stop at traffic lights or in traffic jam you can simply put the gear lever in neutral position . You will get used to this in a few days . It will definitely do no harm to your DCT gearbox if not any good but will help you relax mentally and reduce your worries. Enjoy your ride Anoop and stop worrying
Old 12th February 2020, 19:27   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
Around one year after the delivery, the transmission is making noise at the transition between changing gears.

1. A ''tuk-tuk'' noise is heard while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st.
2. Sometimes a continuous ''tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk'' noise is heard while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at around 20-23 kmph.
No issues during upshifting and everything else seems normal, including the upshifting/downshifting rpms.I suspect that this noise is coming from the actuators.
If it started happening after a year, it doesn't sound normal. Maybe he can wait a while to see whether it gets worse by the day.

Mine is a diesel manual so I can't be an authority here, but I used to drive the Ecosport DCT and so can tell for sure that this is no DCT trait. The Ecosport's gear shifts got jerkier as it aged, but there was no perceptible sound.
Old 15th February 2020, 22:46   #1735
BHPian

Sent the Compass in for service due to a second thud sound while closing the front doors, as if something’s loose inside. As they were fixing it (at no cost), they said they spotted some paint bubbles on the doors and will get them repainted — also for free, strangely.

Anyone know what’s causing these 2.3 years into ownership?

Is it the sign of something worse on the way?
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-f80ca1fe2e054ac891dbdd5750babf57.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-b74f0189afa84fe88806f50c8a7a9981.jpeg  

Old 15th February 2020, 23:01   #1736
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Sent the Compass in for service due to a second thud sound while closing the front doors, as if something’s loose inside. As they were fixing it (at no cost), they said they spotted some paint bubbles on the doors and will get them repainted — also for free, strangely.
This is paint bubbles due to rust!

Please get them to strip it to bare metal and repaint with primer and all coats.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 09:45   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is paint bubbles due to rust!

Please get them to strip it to bare metal and repaint with primer and all coats.
I just called and spoke with the service advisor. He says it’s not rusting and if i still had doubts, he suggested scraping at it with a blade to prove that there’s no rust underneath. He said they’ll paint it for free even if we don’t find paint underneath.

As for the cause, he says a lot of compasses from 2017 had this problem, due to an issue with factory automation at the plant. I searched online and there are threads for wranglers from the US which say it’s corrosion due to dissimilar metals but those bubbles are larger, their photos look more ‘bubbly’ and less ‘swirly’ like this one.

I won’t be back to Kerala until after the sanding and painting is done so can’t scrape at it.

Anyone else seeing this on their doors?
Old 16th February 2020, 13:47   #1738
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass BS6 MT Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here is the Compass BS6 MT lineup and pricing list. No more Limited / Limited(O) variant and also in BS6 MT, 4x4 is available only with Limited Plus.
Today got the call to finalise my BS6 Compass and pay the dealer the whole left amount. I had already paid booking amount for Compass and Seltos but the price with the new Compass is hard to swallow. The dealer has quoted 18lac ex showroom for Sport Plus and 20lac for Longitude Plus but all this without a single rupee off aka no discounts at all :(

My booking for Seltos HTX 1.5D is also pending and they said it might take a month or two.

The question remains will they give discounts down 2-3 months or not and AFAIK they were not giving anything on trailhawk either.

Last edited by Brishti : 16th February 2020 at 13:48.
Old 16th February 2020, 15:13   #1739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
The question remains will they give discounts down 2-3 months or not and AFAIK they were not giving anything on trailhawk either.

For good discounts you will have to wait for year end.
Old 16th February 2020, 17:46   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
It is highly unlikely that you will get any discounts on BS6 cars. You could get some on BS4 stock left, if any.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks