Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 18:03   #2416
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Hello All,

I did PDI of my Compass today, all went well. Can you please advise whether is it worth taking extended warranty? I've been quoted INR 40K for 4th & 5th Year warranty + Road side assistance. Standard warranty is 3 years.
Old 16th April 2021, 18:08   #2417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_9730 View Post
I've been quoted INR 40K for 4th & 5th Year warranty + Road side assistance. Standard warranty is 3 years.
If you intend to keep the car for that period, well worth it.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 19:22   #2418
Senior - BHPian

You must. It's a wise investment and a must have.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th April 2021 at 19:29. Reason: while = wise
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:43   #2419

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_9730 View Post
Hello All,

I did PDI of my Compass today, all went well. Can you please advise whether is it worth taking extended warranty? I've been quoted INR 40K for 4th & 5th Year warranty + Road side assistance. Standard warranty is 3 years.
My perspective from auto engineer’s point of view: Ideally, vehicles are designed to work for at least 100,000 km. Parts’ failure before that are just manufacturing defects. Most of these failures happen in early life cycle (less than 20,000 km), or end of life cycle( 80,000 km+).

There are less chances that the vehicle will work perfectly till 3 years and start failing between 3-5.
So I think spending 0.4 lakh for that small chance is just a choice for psychological peace.

Due to this reason, I didn't go for the extended warranty myself( though I was getting it in 28K).
But if someone expect lot of driving (say more that 60,000 km in first three years), it would be better to take the extension.
Iceman33 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 14:06   #2420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman33 View Post
My perspective from auto engineer’s point of view: Ideally, vehicles are designed to work for at least 100,000 km. Parts’ failure before that are just manufacturing defects. Most of these failures happen in early life cycle (less than 20,000 km), or end of life cycle( 80,000 km+).

There are less chances that the vehicle will work perfectly till 3 years and start failing between 3-5.
So I think spending 0.4 lakh for that small chance is just a choice for psychological peace.

Due to this reason, I didn't go for the extended warranty myself( though I was getting it in 28K).
But if someone expect lot of driving (say more that 60,000 km in first three years), it would be better to take the extension.
Iceman's response has a lot of merit in it, but its not a completely accurate argument. The type of car you are buying, is important in deciding the extended warranty (EW). If its an automatic then its better to take the warranty upfront. The damages to the gear box is more probable and if there is something that happens say at 4th year, you will have to shell around 3.5 L. Also more so if you are picking up the DCT petrol. If its a manual, then you can evaluate based on what's covered in the EW. The fact that a company provides EW for 7 years, may give us some kind of optics that company is confident on its quality. This actually not fully true. The typical warranty claims witnessed by most of the OEMs happen from 6-24 months from date of sale and will range between 0.5%-1% of annual sales at max. Once the warranty period goes away, we may want to use a neighborhood garage for service. By taking an EW, the OEM ties your service revenues for 5-7 years. The claim rate may increase to 5% say between 3-7 years. Also its only less than 20% of the vehicles sold would take EW so their risk limited to those pool, but gives them the optics with out marketing spends and also added incomes which I mentioned above. Its same as health Insurance, not all insured will be hospitalized, but if we dont have an insurance we will financially burdened. Hence its prudent to take EW if we but an automatic for sure. Also we can check if the manufacturer gives same EW terms to some one buying for commercial use. Eg Dezire vs Dezire Tour. Thats where Iceman has a point. JC vehicles dont have commercial licenses mostly and hence we cant infer on the manufacturers confidence estimates

Last edited by Lalitha Venkat : 19th April 2021 at 14:11.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 15:01   #2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
Iceman's response has a lot of merit in it, but its not a completely accurate argument. The type of car you are buying, is important in deciding the extended warranty (EW). If its an automatic then its better to take the warranty upfront. The damages to the gear box is more probable and if there is something that happens say at 4th year, you will have to shell around 3.5 L. Also more so if you are picking up the DCT petrol. If its a manual, then you can evaluate based on what's covered in the EW. The fact that a company provides EW for 7 years, may give us some kind of optics that company is confident on its quality. This actually not fully true. The typical warranty claims witnessed by most of the OEMs happen from 6-24 months from date of sale and will range between 0.5%-1% of annual sales at max. Once the warranty period goes away, we may want to use a neighborhood garage for service. By taking an EW, the OEM ties your service revenues for 5-7 years. The claim rate may increase to 5% say between 3-7 years. Also its only less than 20% of the vehicles sold would take EW so .....
Venkat. Thats really helpful information.
Seems like for an Auto it would better to take EW.
One interesting thing on the warranty from FCA.
Even if you take it around 3 years after the delivery, the charges are not much different.
It is just a 30% increase in the amount.

So, one good option is to wait about 3 years and decide if you want to take the warranty based on your vehicle run/condition/ sell- keep decision.
Old 22nd April 2021, 00:18   #2422
BHPian

I have been considering buying a new Jeep Compass for the last six months. I wanted to know if the clutch failure and dashboard noise are still there in the compass. I did not have the chance to drive at high speeds. How is the stability at high speeds and are there any reliability issues with the engine in the long term.

I currently own and Octavia 1.8 TSI. It is fabulous on the highways and can easily hold up to very high speeds without any engine noise in the cabin. However, I drive quite a lot these days. I did 25000Km in one year with a petrol engine and on some really bad roads. Had a couple of alloy wheels dented and then repaired, a tire bulge as well.

I was wondering if Jeep Compass can offer performance on highways and comfort on rough roads. Is it good for really long journeys. I did more than 850Km in a day multiple times in the Octavia and never felt exhausted or bored. I am considering manual Jeep Compass Diesel variant. People say the engine performs well, then why are the 0-100 numbers as well as max speed (180 Km/hr as mentioned on some websites) similar to much cheaper VW Vento which I owned previously.
Old 22nd April 2021, 07:09   #2423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
I have been considering buying a new Jeep Compass for the last six months. I wanted to know if the clutch failure and dashboard noise are still there in the compass. I did not have the chance to drive at high speeds. How is the stability at high speeds and are there any reliability issues with the engine in the long term.

I currently own and Octavia 1.8 TSI. It is fabulous on the highways and can easily hold up to very high speeds without any engine noise in the cabin. However, I drive quite a lot these days. I did 25000Km in one year with a petrol engine and on some really bad roads. Had a couple of alloy wheels dented and then repaired, a tire bulge as well.
The Jeep is an ideal successor to your Octavia for bad roads. A lot of Jeep Compass owners (including me) are Skoda / VW car owners and love the driving dynamics of the Jeep Compass. It is well planted and has good highway manners as well as a good diesel engine.
I would recommend getting the Diesel engine one (not the petrol one) as the torque will be much more engaging and also mileage is decent at 12-14kmpl in mixed use, which will be good considering your high usage.
Regarding the failures, the clutch failure is very rare and I know only of two cases where clutch failed and that too because of riding the clutch pedal. Dashboard noise was there in the previous gen Compass (one I have, though I fixed mine on my own) and it is not there on the facelift one. Do check on the new facelift ownership threads.
I have had my Compass for 3.7 years now and you can also find details of my ownership on my thread.
However very few cars can match the linear surge of the Skoda 1.8Tsi and that is one gem of an engine.

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd April 2021 at 07:10.
Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 08:43   #2424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Jeep is an ideal successor to your Octavia for bad roads. A lot of Jeep Compass owners (including me) are Skoda / VW car owners and love the driving dynamics of the Jeep Compass. It is well planted and has good highway manners as well as a good diesel engine.
I would recommend getting the Diesel engine one (not the petrol one) as the torque will be much more engaging and also mileage is decent at 12-14kmpl in mixed use, which will be good considering your high usage.
Regarding the failures, the clutch failure is very rare and I know only of two cases where clutch failed and that too because of riding the clutch pedal. Dashboard noise was there in the previous gen Compass (one I have, though I fixed mine on my own) and it is not there on the facelift one. Do check on the new facelift ownership threads.
I have had my Compass for 3.7 years now and you can also find details of my ownership on my thread.
However very few cars can match the linear surge of the Skoda 1.8Tsi and that is one gem of an engine.
Thanks @Behemoth. I'll have to check the new compass thread. I did see a youtube video in which there was noise like some polythene bag from a brand new compass steering.
Old 30th April 2021, 12:25   #2425

Jeep has shared a lockdown care guide. Thoughtful and welcoming initiative !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lock+down+care-new.pdf (937.5 KB, 338 views)
Old 6th May 2021, 00:26   #2426
BHPian

Hello BHPians. Please help me resolve my dilemma in choosing my new car.

I currently own a VW Vento Petrol 1.6 Highline 2013. It’s still in great shape, and definitely has a few more good years left. But when I bought it, I had two young kids, now they are adult-sized teenagers, and a dog has been added to the family. So I need a car that can comfortably fit all five of us.

Having experienced a VW, there are some brands that I outrightly am not considering…MSL, Hyundai, M&M, Tata. In my scheme of things, priorities are comfort, safety, features, running and maintenance costs, in that order. I intend keeping the car for 8 to 10 years, so resale value is not much of a consideration. My usage is going to be short rides in the city upto 500 km a month and an occasional long trip of 1000 km (not more than twice a year). So I guess Petrol makes sense for me. My seven year old Vento has 48000 on the odometer, that should give an idea of my usage.

I have zeroed down to Jeep Compass Model S 1.4 DCT (₹29 Lakh on road) and Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7 ZX AT (₹26 Lakh on road). I am considering the top variants in both, as I feel the lower variants miss out on essential features or safety, and I want an automatic transmission.

I know these are in two different categories, that’s why I need your inputs. I am posting this on the Jeep Compass forum because there won’t really be much debate if I post it on Innova forum, as diehard Toyotians will shoot down the very idea of buying a smaller, more expensive Jeep.

First, what I like about the Crysta. Great on space, comfort, reliability. Well established service network.

What I don’t like. Too big, maybe I’m paying for space that I’ll never use. My wife’s scared of its dimensions; we may have to buy a hatchback for her use. Reasonable feature list, but lags far behind the Compass.

Now coming to the Compass and what I like about it. The brand name, confidence that I am putting my money into a world class product, that will last me long enough. Just the right dimensions, my wife can use it as well. Feature loaded. Enough space for my family; roomy back seat for the kids, the dog should be comfortable in the boot with the parcel tray removed.

My apprehensions with the Jeep, which is specifically what I seek comments on.
  • Is it too expensive, especially in comparison to the Crysta?
  • Will I do justice to the additional features for which I am paying a premium, or will their novelty fade off over time?
  • I expect to get posted to remote parts of the country, will I be able to maintain it there?
  • Am I spending a bomb and getting shortchanged for space?
  • Am I paying so much for the Jeep’s off-roading capabilities, which I hardly expect to use?

Requesting Compass owners to comment from their personal experience.
Old 6th May 2021, 09:23   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
Hello BHPians. Please help me resolve my dilemma in choosing my new car.

I currently own a VW Vento Petrol 1.6 Highline 2013. It’s still in great shape, and definitely has a few more good years left. But when I bought it, I had two young kids, now they are adult-sized teenagers, and a dog has been added to the family. So I need a car that can comfortably fit all five of us.

Having experienced a VW, there are some brands that I outrightly am not considering…MSL, Hyundai, M&M, Tata. In my scheme of things, priorities are comfort, safety, features, running and maintenance costs, in that order. I intend keeping the car for 8 to 10 years, so resale value is not much of a consideration. My usage is going to be short rides in the city upto 500 km a month and an occasional long trip of 1000 km (not more than twice a year). So I guess Petrol makes sense for me. My seven year old Vento has 48000 on the odometer, that should give an idea of my usage.

I have zeroed down to Jeep Compass Model S 1.4 DCT (₹29 Lakh on road) and Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7 ZX AT (₹26 Lakh on road). I am considering the top variants in both, as I feel the lower variants miss out on essential features or safety, and I want an automatic transmission.

I know these are in two different categories, that’s why I need your inputs. I am posting this on the Jeep Compass forum because there won’t really be much debate if I post it on Innova forum, as diehard Toyotians will shoot down the very idea of buying a smaller, more expensive Jeep.

First, what I like about the Crysta. Great on space, comfort, reliability. Well established service network.

What I don’t like. Too big, maybe I’m paying for space that I’ll never use. My wife’s scared of its dimensions; we may have to buy a hatchback for her use. Reasonable feature list, but lags far behind the Compass.

Now coming to the Compass and what I like about it. The brand name, confidence that I am putting my money into a world class product, that will last me long enough. Just the right dimensions, my wife can use it as well. Feature loaded. Enough space for my family; roomy back seat for the kids, the dog should be comfortable in the boot with the parcel tray removed.

My apprehensions with the Jeep, which is specifically what I seek comments on.
  • Is it too expensive, especially in comparison to the Crysta?
  • Will I do justice to the additional features for which I am paying a premium, or will their novelty fade off over time?
  • I expect to get posted to remote parts of the country, will I be able to maintain it there?
  • Am I spending a bomb and getting shortchanged for space?
  • Am I paying so much for the Jeep’s off-roading capabilities, which I hardly expect to use?

Requesting Compass owners to comment from their personal experience.
Ganeshnag: I have a VW Vento automatic and have booked for a Jeep Compass diesel. Based on my experience and test drives that I have done I am bringing out few points which you can consider
1. Comfort and space are two main factors which are critical for you. From that view point, Jeep Compass does not tick the boxes fully as the back seat space on Compass is actually little cramped as compared to the Vento. I assume that you wont take your pet on long drives as the boot wont be sufficient for the suitcase and the pet. You cant have space for both, as your back seat will be sufficient for your children only. If you are planning to take your pet on outstation trips, then Innova is the better choice.
2. The petrol is not a 4*4 so you are not paying extra for the off-roading and hence the premium over Innova is not due to off-roading
3. If your Vento is manual, then the auto gear box is surely a step up. But if you are driving a Vento automatic, then it is a step down as the DSG and TSI combination of Vento is unmatched. A five minute test ride will give you what you are missing. So both Innova and Compass will be compromises that way
4. The driving dynamics and high speed stability is same as the Vento and Crysta. The steering feed back is better than Vento/Crysta. These are at speeds more than 140/km on highways and hence is limited to your outstation trips.
5. The 360 degree camera ,ventilated seats, automatic boot opening and closing, digital information cluster, 10.2 inch display and the connected cars features including geo fencing are some features which are not in the Innova and Vento. How you perceive their value is in a personal domain
6. In my view Compass Diesel is a better performing car. Please test drive both back on back before you take a purchase decision.
7. Also test drive the new VW Tiguan 5 seater which is expected to be launched. Thats a 2L TSI motor and its better on space and power when compared to Compass petrol. The prices are still yet to be released. This is not a CBU and when compared to compass, the service network would be better. But Innova scores over both the vehicles on that front

Last edited by Lalitha Venkat : 6th May 2021 at 09:25.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 11:36   #2428
BHPian

Thank you so much for the prompt response.

Quote:
I assume that you wont take your pet on long drives as the boot wont be sufficient for the suitcase and the pet. You cant have space for both, as your back seat will be sufficient for your children only.
You’re right. It will invariably be either the dog or luggage, not both. And the dog is not likely to come with us for rides longer than a few hours.

Quote:
If you are planning to take your pet on outstation trips, then Innova is the better choice.
Related to the previous point, I don’t know how much the extra space of the Innova will really be utilised.

Quote:
The petrol is not a 4*4 so you are not paying extra for the off-roading and hence the premium over Innova is not due to off-roading.
Got it. I’m just paying for the Jeep badge I assume.

Quote:
If your Vento is manual, then the auto gear box is surely a step up.
Yes, my current car is a manual. My next car is going to be my first automatic.

Quote:
The 360 degree camera ,ventilated seats, automatic boot opening and closing, digital information cluster, 10.2 inch display and the connected cars features including geo fencing are some features which are not in the Innova and Vento.
Yes, I agree that the features list on the Compass is long and mouth watering. My question is that will I continue to use them after the initial new car euphoria fades. Someone who’s owned the car for some time can probably comment whether these are features that you use everyday, and consider ride enhancers, and not just eye candy.

Quote:
In my view Compass Diesel is a better performing car. Please test drive both back on back before you take a purchase decision.
I gathered that from many reviews. But for my really low usage, will the price premium on the diesel be justified? Also, I confess that I am more of a sedate driver for whom thrilling acceleration and torque don’t matter too much.

Quote:
Also test drive the new VW Tiguan 5 seater which is expected to be launched. Thats a 2L TSI motor and its better on space and power when compared to Compass petrol.
As a very satisfied VW owner, my immediate choice was the Tiguan Allspace, though it’s considerably more expensive. But VW is out of stock and is not able to give any timelines when it will be available. Ditto for the new 5 seater version. Unfortunately, due to some personal reasons, I can’t wait beyond June for the new car.

Quote:
But Innova scores over both the vehicles on that front
Agreed. But expensive service is something I have got used to with my VW. That’s why I have placed this relatively lower on my priority list.

One new query. I hope that my wife who is comfortable driving the Vento in the city will be equally comfortable with the Compass.
Old 6th May 2021, 11:50   #2429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
Since your running is low and usage is restricted to city for major part, you should stick to Petrol Compass. Innova is great car for long distance, but can get cumbersome in city. Interiors of Compass are more premium too and gets more features. Where the Innova scores is w.r.to practicality, space on offer and fuss free ownership.
Do note both these are known to be gas guzzlers. In a typical bumper-bumper traffic be ready to see figures as low as 5KMPL. In cities with light traffic, you can expect 8-9KMPL.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 12:11   #2430
BHPian

Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Interiors of Compass are more premium too and gets more features.
I don’t mind paying extra for the features, as long as they will be of use, and not just for the initial new car bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Do note both these are known to be gas guzzlers. In a typical bumper-bumper traffic be ready to see figures as low as 5KMPL. In cities with light traffic, you can expect 8-9KMPL.
Not a concern. My usage in weekday traffic isn’t much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks