Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2019, 10:22   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Coasting in neutral is/used to even be illegal in some countries, because of the risk of loss of control. And coasting by definition means that the revs drop, as they do in the Tiguan. There is no point in having the clutch disengaged AND the revs high.

In no place where manual coasting is illegal is the Tiguan not sold with this feature, as far as I know. The rev mismatch issue is taken care by the dual clutch tech/capability.

A 10% FE gain has been reported in overseas forums, but I can't vouch for this. My interest is in turbo conservation along with benefit of giving the engine frequent rests on long runs without stopping the journey. One has to get used to the fact that the car will move quicker - or take more time to slow down to be more accurate - in coasting mode, but once that happens, and it doesn't take long to get used to this, there is no loss of confidence - getting engine braking back is easy via many kinds of interventions with the coasting car. I have descended ghats in this mode with no worries - note that as soon as the brake is touched, coasting is automatically turned off and remains off even if the brake is released. It only resumes if the accelerator is pressed and released. Or, move the DSG lever back to S mode and the car stays there, with no coasting feature available/enforced till the DSG lever is again pressed back to come back to E mode.

Last edited by Sawyer : 6th October 2019 at 10:24.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 12:09   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Regarding the 'coasting' at high speeds in Eco mode, I have this question:
Does the engine revs keep up with the speed even-though the clutch is disengaged? Or does the revs drop as the engine is no more propelling the car?

Actually that a good question. I have not paid attention to this actually. Car shows it is coasting in the information display if your display is set to live fuel economy. Comes back to life instantaneously once you touch the accelerator, but must be engaging of the highest possible gear matching to the speed of engine. This is my hypothesis.

FE increases 1-2 km p/l in ECO. When I am on ECO mode for longer and keep speed between 100-110, I consistently get 17-18 kmpl on highways. In NORMAL, it drops to 14-16 kmpl. If you frequently switch to SPORT from ECO mode, FE drops all the way to 14-15.
So I avoid ECO model unless the traffic is sparse and the road is with less inclination.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 14:51   #378

Highline has Adaptive Cruise Control. That's not something I saw on the test drive vehicle. This one button on the wheel puzzled me. SA also didn't have a clue at the time of the delivery. He called back to say the new model has ACC. I don't mind the surprise
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_20191006_122410.jpg  

kamakaze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 16:45   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Do you feel confident while car is coasting at high speeds, especially if it is going though slight downhill?
Coasting in Eco mode did give me a slightly scary sensation especially at highway speeds because I'm used to engine braking. I got used to it soon.
But in city driving especially in bumper-to-bumper situations it perhaps reduces the load on the engine and gearbox at the cost of clutch wear due to frequent clutching-declutching manoeuvres. Don't know, I am no expert.
gkrishk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 20:16   #380
BHPian

A request to any new Comfortline buyers. Can you confirm the car has a reverse camera when you get it? I feel like this is the deciding factor for me to buy and I know some people have seen it on theirs and some haven't. So any new information (realtime) would be huge huge help.
Old 8th October 2019, 16:03   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaze View Post
Highline has Adaptive Cruise Control. That's not something I saw on the test drive vehicle. This one button on the wheel puzzled me. SA also didn't have a clue at the time of the delivery. He called back to say the new model has ACC. I don't mind the surprise
OK. Time to revise this. The SA was wrong. It isn't adaptive cruise control. Tap this when in cruise mode, shows two options on MID: 1. Speed Adjust 2. Speed Limit. You can select either. That's cruise control with speed limiter, right?

Can anyone shed some more light on this?
kamakaze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 16:46   #382
BHPian

To all members on this thread who have bought the Tiguan or planning to, did you consider the Kodiaq while deciding on the Tiguan.
Both are made from sister concerns so what was it that tilted your decision one way and not the other except for the 5 ~ 7 seater option.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ithaca : 8th October 2019 at 16:47. Reason: Wrong choice of words
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 17:23   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
To all members on this thread who have bought the Tiguan or planning to, did you consider the Kodiaq while deciding on the Tiguan.
Both are made from sister concerns so what was it that tilted your decision one way and not the other except for the 5 ~ 7 seater option.
Thanks in advance.
I did consider the Kodiaq, primarily because of 7 seats, since both are essentially the same car with Kodiaq having some "clever" add-ons. But the rear seats are not worth the 3 lakh premium. They are hardly usable. Even for kids, these seats are uncomfortable, to say the least.

I test drove both. I just a better feel driving the Tiguan. Since I will drive the car for the next many years (hopefully), I decided to go with my haptic feedback.

What decisively tilted the decision in favour of the Tiguan was the looks. It's subjective. To me, Tiguan the better looking of the two. Of course, one saves some money as well and that matters.
kamakaze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 22:21   #384
BHPian

Quote:
I did consider the Kodiaq. But the rear seats are not worth the 3 lakh premium. They are hardly usable.
I test drove both. I just a better feel driving the Tiguan.
What decisively tilted the decision in favour of the Tiguan was the looks. It's subjective. To me, Tiguan the better looking of the two. Of course, one saves some money as well and that matters.
Thank you for the reply and your assessment about why the Tiguan was a better offering.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:17   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
About those headlights, are you all happy about it at say 80~100 on national/state highways?
I tried driving on NICE road at night, seemed like light couldn't go beyond ~50 meters. Wondering if it was the test drive vehicle badly calibrated or is this something all are living with and used to?
Anyone tried improving it?
Headlights are more than adequate. Yes, the high beam could have had more throw. However, I never found any issue with the visibility. Pics showing the high and low beam

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Kodiaq was in my initial list. The main reason I shortlisted Tiguan over Kodiaq is that I felt the driving dynamics in the Tiguan was better than Kodiaq and the was more agile and nimble. Kodiaq was looking MPVish from the side. Also, I didn't need a mostly unusable 3rd row seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-clhlhigh.jpg  

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-clhllow.jpg  

raz0405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 15:01   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Kodiaq was written off for a few reasons :
1) Did not require a 7 seater, though the additional boot space would have been a boon!
2) After discounts, the price gap was a lot more in the Kodiaq and not much could be justified by features
3) The Tiguan IMO has nicer interiors compared to the Kodiaq. All black + a more driver focused dash.
lamborghini is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 15:20   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Good to see more Tiguans! Here in Bangalore also, hardly see more of them, its such a good car, but the buyer mostly ends up next segment luxury brands i thinK.
Jayashankar from VW Bangalore JP Nagar showroom is good. He handles Tiguan and I think is by far the most successful Tiguan sales guy in Bangalore. He has been selling 3-4 Tiguans every month most of the months.

Last edited by ampere : 9th October 2019 at 15:41. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 9th October 2019, 15:50   #388
BHPian

Quote:
I did consider the Kodiaq, primarily because of 7 seats, since both are essentially the same car with Kodiaq having some "clever" add-ons. But the rear seats are not worth the 3 lakh premium. They are hardly usable. Even for kids, these seats are uncomfortable, to say the least.

I test drove both. I just a better feel driving the Tiguan. Since I will drive the car for the next many years (hopefully), I decided to go with my haptic feedback.

I am also in the same boat as Ithaca. I had driven Kodiaq some time back and my feeling was also like you that the engine did not peppy enough. The same engine in Tiguan felt much better. I also felt that ride quality of Tiguan was better.

I own four and half years old Octavia TDi which is doing perfectly fine. I came across the news that Honda CR-V is available for a very lucrative discount. That started the urge in me to look for the replacement of my Octavia which I thought was 1 year down the line. I checked out CR-V first and I was mighty disappointed. The lack of powerful engine just kills the car. Coming for Octavia, the engine of CR-V did not feel adequate enough and too noisy. Infotainment system seems outdated compared to what we get in VW group cars at this price point. I have been spoiled by practicality and finer touches in Octavia which I couldn't find in CR-V. So CR-V is off the list now.

I checked out Tiguan also which was on my radar since the launch. I instantly connected with the car, may be because it is on the same platform as my Octavia. The whole driving experience was much better than CR-V. For me only suspension in CR-V felt better than Tiguan. Tiguan felt better on all other aspects. There are also some good offers going on for Tiguan with more addons for comfortline version.

My concern with Tiguan is about after sales service. When I bought Octavia I had similar dilemma and now I am very much used to the service standards of Skoda but I guess VW will be a different story. Further now Skoda is in charge of India operations for VW group and so as a brand VW will be on lower priority for the group as a whole. That makes me more inclined to go for Skoda rather than VW. However Tiguan feels much better for my needs as compared to Kodiaq and Karoq seems almost a year away.

I am unable to decide my next step. I guess views from current Tiguan owners will help me move further. Thanking you in anticipation.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 17:29   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I am unable to decide my next step. I guess views from current Tiguan owners will help me move further. Thanking you in anticipation.
I'd wait a year and pick up the BS6 compliant Karoq. No point buying a car simply because the offer is good - especially when you were planning to replace the Octavia after a year.

That being said, I agree about the Skoda service - I personally found the team at Skoda India the most responsive between VW India, Audi India, and Skoda India.

That being said - if the Tiguan is tugging at your heart, this is probably one of the best times to pick it up!
lamborghini is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 18:22   #390
BHPian

Here is an update on coasting in Tiguan. This week I closely observed how the car behaves when coasting.
Engine rev settles at 900 rpm while on coating. Even a slight input to accelerator shoots the rpm above 1400 and engages E7 gear and it is instantaneous. You don't feel any lag on a straight road.

Drive data: Total distance covered 220km, all toll road/highways. Returned 17.2 kmpl in Eco mode. Total drive time, 2:57h with an average speed of 74kmph. This was with all 3 zones of AC working at 20 Deg C.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks