Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2019, 12:16   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 2,113 Times
Default

I don't know how that is possible. I spoke to several dealers and everyone confirmed that reverse camera is not available in Tiguan comfortline. The same is also mentioned in the brochure. The worst part is that they are refusing to provide it as add-on saying it is not possible and will void the warranty
adimicra is offline  
Old 29th September 2019, 21:40   #332
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
Tiguan/Endy/X1 boat.
Also, I feel for you regarding Seltos here, buddy. I am in same boat as you, so is another user @adimicra Although he seems to be on Octavia/Tucson/Seltos, I am on Seltos/

I am curious to know why is it you got ready with ~10 lakhs extra when Seltos has more features?
I am yet to decide, but seems like I will prebook Seltos anyway, can get into the queue and think further.
In my humble opinion Seltos will only come into this discussion for only the features it offers on paper and costing much less. I test drove the Seltos and it is no where close to even compass on pure driving pleasure. Seltos is good at the price point it falls in and don't think it can even be considered a soft roader leave alone facing up to Endeavor and no where close to the premium ness of a Tiguan. X1 is something else all together and it costs more than double of Seltos as well.
raz0405 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 20:42   #333
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Before Corporate edition news, I had received a quote of 32,70,000 OTR in Bangalore for Comfortline. I know this discount came without any bargain and we can further get is reduced by 1 lac.

But with corporate edition launch now, anyone have better deals? I am keen to close this and book before possibly VW stops producing cars as demands would go further low.

I see lot of BHPians are keen too, please PM me if you are in Bangalore, we can strike a good deal
lokii_83 is offline  
Old 30th September 2019, 21:33   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 2,113 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Before Corporate edition news, I had received a quote of 32,70,000 OTR in Bangalore for Comfortline. I know this discount came without any bargain and we can further get is reduced by 1 lac.

But with corporate edition launch now, anyone have better deals? I am keen to close this and book before possibly VW stops producing cars as demands would go further low.

I see lot of BHPians are keen too, please PM me if you are in Bangalore, we can strike a good deal
Buddy, you can get up to 5 lakhs discount on both comfortline and highline variants of Tucson. I was offered 4 Lakhs discount over the phone without any negotiations. SO, best of luck and bargain hard
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 11:22   #335
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Before Corporate edition news, I had received a quote of 32,70,000 OTR in Bangalore for Comfortline. I know this discount came without any bargain and we can further get is reduced by 1 lac.

But with corporate edition launch now, anyone have better deals? I am keen to close this and book before possibly VW stops producing cars as demands would go further low.

I see lot of BHPians are keen too, please PM me if you are in Bangalore, we can strike a good deal
What I heard from my sales contact at Elite Motors, JP Nagar is that if you fall under their corporate scheme then without any additional loyalty, exchange benefits etc.. the on road is 31.8 Lac in Bangalore for Comfortline. With additional benefits (if applicable) I think you can get it in the 30 Lac range.
raz0405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 12:00   #336
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Okay, I did go on a test drive of all vehicles I was in confusion with. Clearly Seltos & Endeavour are out of race now.

Seltos is out because Tiguan exists in my range.

Endeavour is out because it felt a little too much
- I don't need 7 seats
- Too much engine/road sound in cabin compared to other cars in comparison even with noise cancellation.
- Slower gearbox requiring too much thinking of it's "learning" capabilities and if driven badly around Bengalooru I am scared it might go in -ve mileage! On my test drive I saw 4.8kmpl :/ It wasn't tankful method or anything, but that number in MID was gut wrenching.
I am not going to use that daily.
However I did enjoy the fact that it has good control of it's body with all that electronic gizmos kicking in to stabilize it's weight! I also liked how nobody would mess with you when they see a giant hurtling towards them. But this giant drinks a lot, not for me. Would have taken this if it gave anywhere in double digits.
It seems I am not the right customer with right mindset for large trucks.


Now remains Tiguan and X1.

X1 has a few things good and few things missing from feature list (I am being offered good deal on sDrive 20d Xline).

Cons compared to Tiguan -
- No dance-to-open boot - it's all manual
- Comparatively smaller boot
- Somewhat limited cruise control which works by limiting speed
- FWD (I am not really sure if I will use AWD though)
- Auto hold (Damn, this was a big hit in traffic; will have to lift a finger to use that e-parking brakes now :P)
- I may get little paranoid about valet parkings because of badge.


Pros compared to Tiguan
- Driving pleasure - that power kicks up pretty well comparatively
- Slightly better NVH
- Better headlight throw (Claimed by dealer, couldn't test yet)
- Outer mirrors have anti-dazzle too - required because of those idiots who drive with lights up at night
- Better presence
- Bluetooth Apple Carplay!
- Badge value
- Somewhat better value service package(?).

Miscellaneous observations that aren't dealbreakers to me when comparing these two cars -
- Ride handling I felt both were same - seems newer X1s have softer suspensions than before. Tiguan gets smaller sidewall and X1 gets runflats. Wondering if its sensible to get the dealer or someone to buy those runflats right off the showroom.
- Panaromic sunroof seems slightly bigger in Tiguan!
- X1 gets 70% light allowing glasses around. Looks and feels cool in white car.
- X1 also gets those organ pedal for accelerator
- Tiguan gets rear camera washer! Wow!
- Hornpad of X1 is much difficult to operate than Tiguan
- Slightly better claimed mileage in X1 (Really! But how?)

I am slightly less confused than a few weeks ago because of lesser vehicles in mix now, but confused nevertheless. Wish it were easy :(
shrinath_m2 is offline  
Old 2nd October 2019, 14:11   #337
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 460
Thanked: 391 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
On my test drive I saw 4.8kmpl :/ It wasn't tankful method or anything, but that number in MID was gut wrenching.
(
Which Endeavor did you try the 2.2 or the 3.2?

Tiguan Cons as per you -
- No dance-to-open boot, it's all manual (this shouldnt be a deal braker)
- Comparatively smaller boot (didnt knew that, I already find Tiguans boot very small. Smaller than that is a big no no for me)
- Somewhat limited cruise control which works by limiting speed (Can you please explain)
- FWD I am not really sure if I will use AWD though (This will depend where you drive the most, although AWD is hardly used it might come handy)
- Auto hold (Surprised to know it doesnt have auto hold)
- I may get little paranoid about valet parkings because of badge. (Interesting to know )


I find the ride quality of the Tiguan not comfy at all, it doesnt have the DCC like the Passat so cant switch it to the "comfort" mode. I have tried Passat in the normal and comfort mode and it makes a small difference, not a lot but enough. A lot of folks have told me it is because of the Hankook tyres, checked the Hankook website and found out that those tyres dont have a good comfort rating. Problem is the highline comes with 235/55 R18 and there are no comfort tyre options available in the market for that size. You can only get the Hankook or the Pirelli.


Pros compared to Tiguan
- Driving pleasure - that power kicks up pretty well comparatively (Definitely something to consider, I find the Tiguan ok, neither over powered nor under)
- Slightly better NVH (The wind noise in the Tiguan at 100+ speeds is noticeable)
- Better headlight throw (Tiguan has absolutely pathetic light throw)
- Outer mirrors have anti-dazzle too - required because of those idiots who drive with lights up at night (handy to have)
- Better presence (I doubt it, its too small)
- Bluetooth Apple Carplay! (Wire free life +1)
- Badge value (100% bang on)
- Somewhat better value service package(?). (I have no idea on this one)


Whats the OTR quote you got for the Highline and the X1?

Last edited by sreejinair : 2nd October 2019 at 14:17.
sreejinair is offline  
Old 2nd October 2019, 18:41   #338
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Which Endeavor did you try the 2.2 or the 3.2?
3.2. It did take me by surprise on how well it can handle the body weight. There was however a good amount of bobbing and swaying when going fast on bad roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Tiguan Cons as per you -
...
- Somewhat limited cruise control which works by limiting speed (Can you please explain)
This is X1's con compared to Tiguan, not the other way round -
It has a way of setting a speed limit - say, 50kmph. Now, till 50 it accelerates normally and later it doesn't really pull much and you have to push the accelerator real hard (kick down) to push it more than 50. So on sedate driving, it sticks to ~50kmph, until you kick it hard.

Also the boot of X1 is around 100L smaller compared to Tiguan. X1 is generally smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I find the ride quality of the Tiguan not comfy at all, it doesnt have the DCC like the Passat so cant switch it to the "comfort" mode. I have tried Passat in the normal and comfort mode and it makes a small difference, not a lot but enough. A lot of folks have told me it is because of the Hankook tyres, checked the Hankook website and found out that those tyres dont have a good comfort rating. Problem is the highline comes with 235/55 R18 and there are no comfort tyre options available in the market for that size. You can only get the Hankook or the Pirelli.
I am somewhat fine with the suspension, coming from Polo. I guess it doesn't go well in your case because of your backbone health?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
- Better presence (I doubt it, its too small)
...
- Somewhat better value service package(?). (I have no idea on this one)
Better presence because of the kidney grill, those DRLs and the badge. Logo can command the attention too.
Compared to Tiguan which get's lost in traffic, imagine a white X1 with the logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Whats the OTR quote you got for the Highline and the X1?
[/quote]
Around 35L for highline (only registration + ex-showroom price) and slightly below 6L more for X1 (including insurance, registration and "handling charges").
shrinath_m2 is offline  
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:19   #339
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Curious to know why other users chose Tiguan over X1. Is it budget or lack of better offers in BMW at the time you were making this decision?
shrinath_m2 is offline  
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:18   #340
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
Curious to know why other users chose Tiguan over X1. Is it budget or lack of better offers in BMW at the time you were making this decision?
I had the same two options as finalists last year. I had a couple of things working in my favor if I had to go for Tiguan over X1. The first and foremost was the exchange price I got for my 60K driven Rapid. It was around 30% more than open market and what BMW could offer. And the AWD version of the BMW was priced much higher than I could stretch.

These two reasons led me to pragmatically look at the situation, and I started to realize the benefits of Tiguan over X1. The most important one is that Tiguan was above average in all the parameters you look for in a car. It does not excel in any one of the parameters. Drive wise X1 even with FWD is more engaging to drive and it excels there. Tiguan maybe around 90% there if you compare it with X1. However, I felt Tiguan offered more grip around corners (due to the AWD) and also the ride height of Tiguan was higher than X1. Quality is again above average and not in the class of X1 but much better than similar priced cars, however the space on offer is more then X1. Maintenance cost will be at a minimum 30-40% lesser than X1 for Tiguan. For example the brake pad replacement for Tiguan is around 15 K and X1 would be around 25 K.

So, to sum it up, Tiguan, seemed to be a more practical choice for me.
raz0405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:29   #341
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 663
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

For me also it was X1 vs Tiguan in the last lap.

Finally it was Tiguan for primarily 3 reasons,
1. AWD in Tiguan at 37 Lakhs vs 50 Lakhs on X1.
2. Three Zone climate control in Tiguan. I would say, best AC I have experienced ever.
3. Enjoy all the premium features, but avoid the brand attention.
sj_koova is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:51   #342
Distinguished - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,680
Thanked: 4,199 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
Now remains Tiguan and X1.

X1 has a few things good and few things missing from feature list (I am being offered good deal on sDrive 20d Xline).

I am slightly less confused than a few weeks ago because of lesser vehicles in mix now, but confused nevertheless. Wish it were easy :(
We were in the same boat as well last year and picked the Tiguan over the X1.

Coming to your points:

Cons of X1 to Tiguan:
1) Dance to open boot : not a deal breaker to be honest.
2) Even though the Tiguan has a bigger boot - I found the layout of the X1 to be a little more practical. Do try this with actual luggage.
3) I have this speed limiter on the 3 series - For open highways, you will still miss cruise control. This is just helpful in making sure you don't cross a certain speed and get fined.
4) We haven't used AWD as yet despite the outstation trips this car has gone on (Nasik, Pune, Mahabaleshwar), and don't think it will be missed unless you're going to rural areas often.
5) Auto-hold is a boon in traffic, though I personally prefer it off and use the creep function in traffic. But yes - on longer traffic lights it is missed.
6) No comment on valet parking - parts for both aren't going to be cheap.

Pros of X1 over Tiguan:
1) Driving Pleasure and NVH I will agree with you on - the Tiguan could use some more power!
2) Headlight throw : not a deal breaker. The Tiguan is quite good.
3) ORVM : I surprisingly haven't noticed this in the Tiguan - need to pay attention next time I drive it
4) Presence, Badge value - agreed
5) BSI gives peace of mind and service support in general is better than with VW
6) Organ Pedals : Big plus especially if you are used to it!

I'd also like to add that the rear seats of the Tiguan felt that much nicer to sit in than those of the X1 - which for us was a big plus point in getting the Tiguan.

Living with the car for a year, truth be told - I am not tempted or envious when I see an X1 overtake me. In fact, I am loving the experience!
It has a very understated air about it, is feature loaded, spacious, built like a tank, and brilliant to drive on the highways!

In fact, the only car I sort of wish I had picked up was the Kodiaq - simply for the bigger boot, but the interiors of the Tiguan feel that much more premium to the Kodiaq and it is that much easier to drive and live with in the city.

In a nutshell :
Self driven Family car : Tiguan
Self Driven + aspirational car that can do the family duties as well : the X1
Driver driven family car : Kodiaq
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:23   #343
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0405 View Post
...
However, I felt Tiguan offered more grip around corners (due to the AWD) and also the ride height of Tiguan was higher than X1. Quality is again above average and not in the class of X1 but much better than similar priced cars, however the space on offer is more then X1. Maintenance cost will be at a minimum 30-40% lesser than X1 for Tiguan. For example the brake pad replacement for Tiguan is around 15 K and X1 would be around 25 K.

So, to sum it up, Tiguan, seemed to be a more practical choice for me.
So you had prioritised AWD + jack of all features/quality.
Maintenance would be on par if we take their service packs I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
For me also it was X1 vs Tiguan in the last lap.

Finally it was Tiguan for primarily 3 reasons,
1. AWD in Tiguan at 37 Lakhs vs 50 Lakhs on X1.
2. Three Zone climate control in Tiguan. I would say, best AC I have experienced ever.
3. Enjoy all the premium features, but avoid the brand attention.
Got it. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
We were in the same boat as well last year and picked the Tiguan over the X1.

Coming to your points:

Cons of X1 to Tiguan:
1) Dance to open boot : not a deal breaker to be honest.
2) Even though the Tiguan has a bigger boot - I found the layout of the X1 to be a little more practical. Do try this with actual luggage.
3) I have this speed limiter on the 3 series - For open highways, you will still miss cruise control. This is just helpful in making sure you don't cross a certain speed and get fined.
4) We haven't used AWD as yet despite the outstation trips this car has gone on (Nasik, Pune, Mahabaleshwar), and don't think it will be missed unless you're going to rural areas often.
5) Auto-hold is a boon in traffic, though I personally prefer it off and use the creep function in traffic. But yes - on longer traffic lights it is missed.
6) No comment on valet parking - parts for both aren't going to be cheap.

Pros of X1 over Tiguan:
1) Driving Pleasure and NVH I will agree with you on - the Tiguan could use some more power!
2) Headlight throw : not a deal breaker. The Tiguan is quite good.
3) ORVM : I surprisingly haven't noticed this in the Tiguan - need to pay attention next time I drive it
4) Presence, Badge value - agreed
5) BSI gives peace of mind and service support in general is better than with VW
6) Organ Pedals : Big plus especially if you are used to it!

I'd also like to add that the rear seats of the Tiguan felt that much nicer to sit in than those of the X1 - which for us was a big plus point in getting the Tiguan.

Living with the car for a year, truth be told - I am not tempted or envious when I see an X1 overtake me. In fact, I am loving the experience!
It has a very understated air about it, is feature loaded, spacious, built like a tank, and brilliant to drive on the highways!

In fact, the only car I sort of wish I had picked up was the Kodiaq - simply for the bigger boot, but the interiors of the Tiguan feel that much more premium to the Kodiaq and it is that much easier to drive and live with in the city.

In a nutshell :
Self driven Family car : Tiguan
Self Driven + aspirational car that can do the family duties as well : the X1
Driver driven family car : Kodiaq

You sir, confused me even more
First you negate most of my cons of X1 comparing to Tiguan. So I think X1 is good choice. Then you proceeded to the pros and agreed to most of it except lights. I am thinking X1 it is, dialling BMW.
At last you say you aren't tempted when X1 crosses over

You must have found inner peace, Zen master!

I do agree, cruise control might be the only important thing missing in X1, comparatively - which is missed even more because of that nosey beep at 120kmph. No way to enjoy the car beyond that now. May be buyers will have to use that limiter at 118kmph and keep their foot on accelerator.

Other way round, there's not many reasons for me to reject Tiguan either, power seems "adequate" now, given that one isn't going beyond 120 anyway. Brand value & presence will be missed and felt. Unlike you, I may look the other way when X1 passes around!
That's about it.


About those headlights, are you all happy about it at say 80~100 on national/state highways?
I tried driving on NICE road at night, seemed like light couldn't go beyond ~50 meters. Wondering if it was the test drive vehicle badly calibrated or is this something all are living with and used to?
Anyone tried improving it?
shrinath_m2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:41   #344
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 22
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Tiggy (Highline) is here. The delivery was smooth. Volkswagen Capital SA explained most of the things before I drove it off. Haven't figured out the blind spot alerts that I experienced during the test drive. I didn't hear a beep even in congested areas. Will update once I figure out.

What's new since the TD vehicle.

1. Two USB slots in centre console instead of one.
2. Another USB slot below the rear AC vent instead of none.
3. Pleasantly surprised. Driver-assist button on the steering wheel.

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img20191003wa0024.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd October 2019 at 19:23. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
kamakaze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:45   #345
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Congratulations on your new purchase kamakaze. Tiguan is indeed an impressive car. Welcome to the club. Wishing you many more happy miles.
raz0405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks