Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2019, 12:14   #361
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 17,181 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I am referring to the one in the Tiguan that also automatically moves the transmission to neutral as well, It is relevant to turbos because whenever that happens, at say 120 kmh, the turbo spools down for the time till the foot next touches either pedal, allowing it to get a rest and cool down, which can only be good for its service life.
That's interesting, you mean, that Tiguan will shift to Neutral at 120 Kmph if there are no inputs to Accelerator/ Brake and as soon as we accelerate or brake, it shifts back into the gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'm also assuming that the DSG is unaffected by repeatedly disengaging and reengaging a high gear directly on the move?
Exactly my thoughts, instead of worrying about giving rest to turbos, I will be worried about the fried DSG on the VW

Quote:
The BMW 5 series of 2018 does not have this feature, and I think this is quite unique, actually. And very useful.
Eco-Mode in BMW's started appearing way back in 2010 if I am not mistaken and will be in 2018 surely. The screen turns to blue and even the A/C turns little slower, acceleration also gets more muted.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th October 2019 at 12:36.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 12:58   #362
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 459
Thanked: 391 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Here is what the manual says

Coasting with DSG® dual clutch gearbox
In coasting mode, the momentum of the vehicle can be used to save fuel in conjunction with a foresighted driving style. The engine is declutched and no longer brakes the vehicle – the vehicle can roll out over a longer distance. The function is only available at speeds of 20 – 130 km/h
sreejinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 13:16   #363
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 17,181 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Here is what the manual says

Coasting with DSG® dual clutch gearbox. The function is only available at speeds of 20 – 130 km/h
So this is essentially a feature of DSG Gearbox and not necessarily limited to Tiguan that too in Eco mode as some of the other members have suggested?
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 14:08   #364
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,334
Thanked: 6,599 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

^^ I believe this is simply the coasting feature of the gear box. Most gear boxes do this in their eco modes. I have seen this happening in the Eco-Pro mode in my X3 where the car starts coasting when there is no accelerator or brake input and the RPM needle stays at idling speed. DSG equipped cars that I own do not have an eco mode so they don't coast like this under any circumstances.

As far as the turbo is concerned, what matters is whether the turbo is spooled and giving boost or not. When you are cruising down at relaxing speeds or experiencing engine braking, I believe the turbo is at rest. Constant pedal to the metal and hard acceleration is what makes it work hard. To be honest that disconnected/ diengaged coasting feeling of the eco pro mode makes me very uncomfortable.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 15:12   #365
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 138
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
I have just had some movement towards a response from VWI; I suggest sending an email to christopher.dsouza1@volkswagen.co.in from whom this forward motion seems to have been initiated
Thanks very much. I have already emailed Steffen.Knapp@volkswagen.co.in
will do as you have advised.
gkrishk is offline  
Old 5th October 2019, 15:35   #366
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,665
Thanked: 1,771 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
So this is essentially a feature of DSG Gearbox and not necessarily limited to Tiguan that too in Eco mode as some of the other members have suggested?
In the Tiguan, it is only available in E mode, of that I am sure. As to other DSG equipped VW cars, I have no idea, but I suspect that this feature is not there in Polo/Vento etc. Ask those owners.
As to the Tiguan DSG, it is highly over engineered for the torque delivery of the car, so I have zero concerns about it.
Sawyer is offline  
Old 5th October 2019, 15:57   #367
Distinguished - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 5,183
Thanked: 7,607 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
In the Tiguan, it is only available in E mode, of that I am sure. As to other DSG equipped VW cars, I have no idea, but I suspect that this feature is not there in Polo/Vento etc. Ask those owners.
As to the Tiguan DSG, it is highly over engineered for the torque delivery of the car, so I have zero concerns about it.
If I remember correctly, the Tiguan uses the more recently developed DQ500 DSG unit, and which is probably one of the few DSGs introduced in India which has the the 'coasting' option and that too in E mode only.

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/...in-europe-4479

"The gearboxes are constantly being further developed. A coasting function, where the DSG decouples the engine from the drive train in order to use the kinetic energy of the vehicle and thus further reduce fuel consumption, is becoming increasingly standard."
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 16:03   #368
Distinguished - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,675
Thanked: 4,170 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
You sir, confused me even more
First you negate most of my cons of X1 comparing to Tiguan. So I think X1 is good choice. Then you proceeded to the pros and agreed to most of it except lights. I am thinking X1 it is, dialling BMW.
At last you say you aren't tempted when X1 crosses over

You must have found inner peace, Zen master!

I do agree, cruise control might be the only important thing missing in X1, comparatively - which is missed even more because of that nosey beep at 120kmph. No way to enjoy the car beyond that now. May be buyers will have to use that limiter at 118kmph and keep their foot on accelerator.

Other way round, there's not many reasons for me to reject Tiguan either, power seems "adequate" now, given that one isn't going beyond 120 anyway. Brand value & presence will be missed and felt. Unlike you, I may look the other way when X1 passes around!
That's about it.


About those headlights, are you all happy about it at say 80~100 on national/state highways?
I tried driving on NICE road at night, seemed like light couldn't go beyond ~50 meters. Wondering if it was the test drive vehicle badly calibrated or is this something all are living with and used to?
Anyone tried improving it?
First about the lights : I had no complaints while driving the car to Mahabaleshwar in heavy rainfall, during night time.
Yes - visibility wasn't great, but I don't think any other car in my garage would have been significantly better.

About the confusion - Hahah! I am very sorry! We picked up the Tiguan as a second car for such trips primarily + something that is easy for dad and myself to get in and out of when our back is hurting.
Both of these cars are very closely matched - heck, we may have picked up the X1 over the Tiguan if the discounts were as good as they are now, but at the end of the day - you need to follow your heart in this decision.
lamborghini is online now  
Old 5th October 2019, 18:18   #369
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Hey, just back from another round of enquiry post corporate edition announcements. Now the latest offer made for Comfortline is 31 lakh (total discount of 4.5 lakh) with a discount of 1.25 Lakh corporate, 2 lakh cash, rest all dealer side profit plus insurance discount etc.

I am sure we can further reduce it by another 50k, which brings total to 30.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore. I feel this is sensible buy. I still miss reverse parking camera, I think I will compromise for it.

Also I just asked dealer is Tiguan comes with Euro 6 norms specific engine which as I know almost near to BS6 spec, but he too wasn’t aware. Any pointers?

Meantime I was checking Octavia Style 1.8 TSI, but now it’s replaced with Onyx edition, and cost comes around 26 lakhs after discount, I am more inclined towards Tiguan.

Anyone in similar boat and confusions

Appreciate experts view on above mentioned offer details and your view overall.

Last edited by lokii_83 : 5th October 2019 at 18:36.
lokii_83 is offline  
Old 5th October 2019, 19:55   #370
BHPian
 
showboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 150
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Hey, just back from another round of enquiry post corporate edition announcements. Now the latest offer made for Comfortline is 31 lakh (total discount of 4.5 lakh) with a discount of 1.25 Lakh corporate, 2 lakh cash, rest all dealer side profit plus insurance discount etc.

I am sure we can further reduce it by another 50k, which brings total to 30.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore. I feel this is sensible buy. I still miss reverse parking camera, I think I will compromise for it.

Also I just asked dealer is Tiguan comes with Euro 6 norms specific engine which as I know almost near to BS6 spec, but he too wasn’t aware. Any pointers?

Meantime I was checking Octavia Style 1.8 TSI, but now it’s replaced with Onyx edition, and cost comes around 26 lakhs after discount, I am more inclined towards Tiguan.

Anyone in similar boat and confusions

Appreciate experts view on above mentioned offer details and your view overall.
I'm pretty much in the same boat but in Chennai. I drove both in the last two days for the 2nd time and really can't say I like one over the other. The Octavia's suspension was probably a little nicer over rough roads, but both handled highway driving equally well. I found the rear space better in the Tiguan and front seats about the same in comfort.

The price difference here is just about 6 lakh so its a little more of a gap. Makes it a little harder to get the Tiguan. I did see 6 of them on the road today, after not seeing any over the last 2 years, so maybe thats a sign. I'm waiting on the interior pics of the Onyx to decide it.
showboat is offline  
Old 5th October 2019, 23:04   #371
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 49
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

You guys must be really good at haggling! The quote I got was 33l final in Bengaluru. Can whoever received a 30l quote please PM me the dealer and quote details? TIA!
kauphylover is offline  
Old 6th October 2019, 07:56   #372
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 2,111 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Hey, just back from another round of enquiry post corporate edition announcements. Now the latest offer made for Comfortline is 31 lakh (total discount of 4.5 lakh) with a discount of 1.25 Lakh corporate, 2 lakh cash, rest all dealer side profit plus insurance discount etc.

I am sure we can further reduce it by another 50k, which brings total to 30.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore. I feel this is sensible buy. I still miss reverse parking camera, I think I will compromise for it.

Also I just asked dealer is Tiguan comes with Euro 6 norms specific engine which as I know almost near to BS6 spec, but he too wasn’t aware. Any pointers?

Meantime I was checking Octavia Style 1.8 TSI, but now it’s replaced with Onyx edition, and cost comes around 26 lakhs after discount, I am more inclined towards Tiguan.

Anyone in similar boat and confusions

Appreciate experts view on above mentioned offer details and your view overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat but in Chennai. I drove both in the last two days for the 2nd time and really can't say I like one over the other. The Octavia's suspension was probably a little nicer over rough roads, but both handled highway driving equally well. I found the rear space better in the Tiguan and front seats about the same in comfort.

The price difference here is just about 6 lakh so its a little more of a gap. Makes it a little harder to get the Tiguan. I did see 6 of them on the road today, after not seeing any over the last 2 years, so maybe thats a sign. I'm waiting on the interior pics of the Onyx to decide it.
I am not exactly in the same boat but I did consider the Tiguan briefly as VW dealer was offering huge discounts. However, I dropped the idea as it was going to stretch my already stretched budget and I could not make peace with the glaring omissions in the Comfortline variant. I have been using reverse camera for the last 5 years and I find it very useful. Keyless entry and push start are now available in cars costing 1/4th of Tiguan. I personally don't care about it but can't imagine a situation where a friend/colleague/relative finds that my 30Lakh car does not have this feature available in Swift or I10.
For me, The Comfortline was coming to just under 30 lakhs whereas Octavia is under 24 lakhs (6 lakhs difference). Highline was costing 34 lakhs which is 10 lakhs more than the Octavia. Also, one big reason why I like the Octavia is the 1.8 TSI engine which is not there in the Tiguan and I don't need a diesel considering my usage.
adimicra is offline  
Old 6th October 2019, 08:11   #373
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
The price difference here is just about 6 lakh so its a little more of a gap. Makes it a little harder to get the Tiguan. I did see 6 of them on the road today, after not seeing any over the last 2 years, so maybe thats a sign. I'm waiting on the interior pics of the Onyx to decide it.
Good to see more Tiguans! Here in Bangalore also, hardly see more of them, its such a good car, but the buyer mostly ends up next segment luxury brands i thinK.

Please keep us updated on your final decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
You guys must be really good at haggling! The quote I got was 33l final in Bengaluru. Can whoever received a 30l quote please PM me the dealer and quote details? TIA!
Since you are a newbie, it seems i cant PM you nor you to me. As said, the discount includes corporate discount of 1.25 lakh which i guess in your case not included. Can you confirm? Also which all dealers you are in touch?

Plus i got exchange benefit, dealer didn't mention exact discount for exchange. So its a overall package which brings down to 31, not 30, I am optimistic to reduce it further
The dealer is VW Bangalore, JP Nagar, you can meet SA named JayaShankar, many of Bangalore VW owners knows him, please meet him and he is good guy, gave good experience so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
For me, The Comfortline was coming to just under 30 lakhs whereas Octavia is under 24 lakhs (6 lakhs difference). Highline was costing 34 lakhs which is 10 lakhs more than the Octavia. Also, one big reason why I like the Octavia is the 1.8 TSI engine which is not there in the Tiguan and I don't need a diesel considering my usage.
Yes my usage also not so high which demands Diesel, but ground clearance is one thing plus Tiguan is a great car from same VW. I will finalize either of it. I am keen to know your final decision of Octavia vs Seltos vs Tucson if I remember your final 3 choices.
lokii_83 is offline  
Old 6th October 2019, 09:19   #374
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,095
Thanked: 36,889 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am not exactly in the same boat but I did consider the Tiguan briefly as VW dealer was offering huge discounts. However, I dropped the idea as it was going to stretch my already stretched budget and I could not make peace with the glaring omissions in the Comfortline variant. I have been using reverse camera for the last 5 years and I find it very useful. Keyless entry and push start are now available in cars costing 1/4th of Tiguan. I personally don't care about it but can't imagine a situation where a friend/colleague/relative finds that my 30Lakh car does not have this feature available in Swift or I10.
I think it all depends on your priorities. The Tiguan's premium pricing while not justified still works cause other than the brand it feels very close to the Q3, and better than cars like GLA.

Over the octavie the difference is not much if you compare the diesel DSG. No point in comparing the 1.8TSI with Tiguan diesel. The Tiguan has the superior DSG DQ500 with on demand AWD and a host of other extras.

Even when you look at the Octavia diesel DSG which is very close to 30L you get a basic torsion beam suspension vs the multi link.

At the end of the day rear view cameras and start stop buttons are missing but what no swift or other car with gimmicky features can match is the driving feel, dynamics, driving pleasure of cars like Tiguan.

Nowadays even 3L rupee cars like Kwid and S-presso have Android Auto, Apple car play.

Similarly the Kia Seltos was a loaded car and was also nice enough to drive. But after a while I realised that the connect that I have in my Ecosport when driving was missing in the Kia. The Kia was quicker but it just lacked the feel. Something which I felt in the compass and Tiguan. Compass even more so.

At the end of the day it depends on an individual. For some, features are more important and they actually can't discern on the driving aspects.

For others who are able to perceive driving feel, connected feel and appreciate these points in a car, the features suddenly take a back seat.

Cars like the Octavia even would not sell cause cars like Elantra have everything and more. The newly launched Elantra is BS6 with the 2.0L engine which is very punchy and has features that Tiguan and Octavia don't hav at an even lower price tag.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 09:56   #375
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,645
Thanked: 3,185 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Regarding the 'coasting' at high speeds in Eco mode, I have this question:
Does the engine revs keep up with the speed even-though the clutch is disengaged? Or does the revs drop as the engine is no more propelling the car? It will be a weird feeling with the engine not working hard yet the car doing high speeds. Also when you start giving inputs and the clutch is engaged again, there should not be any 'rev mismatch'
So, I believe that the engine revs stay high which is in sync with the speed of the vehicle. In that case, is there really any 'saving' as engine still needs to keep burning the fuel (and this is not like idling)? Only difference could be that the air-fuel ratio could be different since there is no load on the engine.
@owners of Tiguan and other cars with similar technology, what is the extent of FE gain? We have been always told that the 'coasting in neutral' is a 'No'. Do you feel confident while car is coasting at high speeds, especially if it is going though slight downhill?
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks