Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 20:35   #316
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0405 View Post
I have driven around 16K + KMs and I have not scraped the underbelly anywhere. Did take it to most places where I never used to take my Sedans. The only issue I have is the approach angle is a bit low for SUV standards and you can scrape the mud flap or the deflector sometimes on deep potholes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
#1 - My sunroof ambient lighting is working perfectly alright. Not disabled.
#2 - 2+ years and never had any leaking issues from sunroof. I have done two monsoon trips and thoroughly enjoyed.

#3 - I got the same information from dealer. I am happy with Google voice assistant.

#4 - It is actually a very useful feature. You can adjust the beep volume and tone for front and rear separately. I feel confident to take Tiguan to narrow streets and ight spots where I don't dare to take my i10.

#5 - 190mm is what I know. I have driven Tiguan in almost all kind of terrains and weather except ice. Have done mild offroading as well. Yes, approach angle could have been better.
I am considering X1/Tiguan/Endeavour. Have some questions Bengalooru folks might be able to answer -

1. Do you drive in infamous peak hour traffic that goes 5 km in 1 hour? If yes, what is your average fuel consumption? Not that I care about fuel consumption, but curious.

2. How do you feel after your journey with regards to drive? Compared to previous sedans/hatches you might have owned?

3. Hows your experience in driving on those dug up roads for metro/gas lining? Very hard/hard/okkkay/good? What are you comparing against?

Generic questions not specific to Bengalooreans-

4. Ambient lighting colours can be changed? Adjust brightness/turn off?

5. When you are in Apple CarPlay + Google Maps, does it let you choose "alternate routes" in the car's display? Like there will be multiple routes available, 3 mins faster, 2 mins slower, etc. Will you be able to select the ones you want on car infotainment display?
Test drive car couldn't do this - want to know if that is a car specific bug or it just works that way.

6. Do you have a cleaner who washes your car in your apartments? How does your sunroof look after a year? How did you maintain it? What do you do when angry birds take dump on it?
shrinath_m2 is offline  
Old 26th September 2019, 22:05   #317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
I am considering X1/Tiguan/Endeavour. Have some questions Bengalooru folks might be able to answer -

1. Do you drive in infamous peak hour traffic that goes 5 km in 1 hour? If yes, what is your average fuel consumption? Not that I care about fuel consumption, but curious.

2. How do you feel after your journey with regards to drive? Compared to previous sedans/hatches you might have owned?

3. Hows your experience in driving on those dug up roads for metro/gas lining? Very hard/hard/okkkay/good? What are you comparing against?

Generic questions not specific to Bengalooreans-

4. Ambient lighting colours can be changed? Adjust brightness/turn off?

5. When you are in Apple CarPlay + Google Maps, does it let you choose "alternate routes" in the car's display? Like there will be multiple routes available, 3 mins faster, 2 mins slower, etc. Will you be able to select the ones you want on car infotainment display?
Test drive car couldn't do this - want to know if that is a car specific bug or it just works that way.

6. Do you have a cleaner who washes your car in your apartments? How does your sunroof look after a year? How did you maintain it? What do you do when angry birds take dump on it?
I can answer some of the questions.
1. Yes, 40-50% of the time it is the infamous traffic is what I encounter. The worst FE I have got during 3.5 hour drive from Whitefield to Banashankari is 8 KMs/Ltr. Only city driving with an average of 12 - 15 KM/Hr distance covered, I get around 11 KMs/Ltr
2. It's been an enjoyable 10+ months with Tiguan in terms of driving pleasure. Wasn't tired or irritated with the traffic (maybe I'm a zen master ). I started my Bangalore driving with a Matiz, moved on the first gen swift, then the Dzire followed by Skoda Rapid and finally the Tiguan now. Rapid was more engaging to drive in the highway, but overall Tiguan trumps it everywhere. The other cars, takes you from point A to point B.
3. Slow speed ride is a bit stiff. Comfortline is better than Highline due to the higher profile tyres. I do not feel any discomfort as such. If you are graduating from a sedan or an hatch you tend to be careful on bad roads and you shouldn't have any problem. If you are moving from a butch SUV then yes, Tiguan should be driven with little more caution.
5. You can only choose different route via the ICE in the beginning before you press start/go in the map. Not after you have chosen a route. Need to see how ios 13.1 works though. Haven't tried the maps yet after the update. However, it allows you to select the routes suggested by google in between saying "we have found a faster route do you want to choose"

Also, since you are in Bengaluru, I feel you should try out Elite Motors JP Nagar. They seemed to be by far the best sales outlet. Specifically the gentleman Jayashankar (who handles Tiguan sales). Most of my apprehensions about Tiguan got sorted out after I took a test drive of more than 20 KMs on all different terrains from them.
raz0405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 00:59   #318
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0405 View Post
Also, since you are in Bengaluru, I feel you should try out Elite Motors JP Nagar. They seemed to be by far the best sales outlet. Specifically the gentleman Jayashankar (who handles Tiguan sales). Most of my apprehensions about Tiguan got sorted out after I took a test drive of more than 20 KMs on all different terrains from them.
Thank you for your answers!
Seems like I need to try this apple auto on some other car once to understand the complete stuff.

I know Jayashankar! He was earlier at Marathalli Apple auto and he sold me my current Polo 5 years ago. And yes, he is knowledgeable and friendly
Small world indeed...
shrinath_m2 is offline  
Old 27th September 2019, 05:17   #319
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,393
Thanked: 3,680 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Everyone is gushing about the ride quality of the Hexa. I had the occasion to take a backseat ride in a company Hexa (XT) on the Pune Mulshi Tamhini road during the beginning of monsoon, and that road is as good as it gets to “ test” ride quality , being full of bumps, potholes and all the goodies. I felt the ride to be extremely uncomfortable, there were three of us iincluding the driver and the car was pitching and bobbing all over the place at low and medium speeds. I even asked the driver whether he could adjust the drive modes , but it didn’t make any difference. Mind you, it is a new company car maintained in a spic-n-span condition. I actually felt good that I was strapped in, otherwise it would have been like riding through moderate turbulence ( which is a very high level in aviation parlance) . I feel that something like a Duster is still the benchmark for ride comfort amongst affordable SUVs.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 27th September 2019 at 05:19.
fhdowntheline is offline  
Old 27th September 2019, 08:34   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 2,111 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ento-24350.htm

According to news reports, VW has launched a corporate edition of the Tiguan based on COmfortline spec with a discount of 4.5 lakhs on ex-showroom price which means >5 lakhs discount on on-road price. I guess this makes an Tiguan attractive option as the pricing is closer to Tucson, COmpass etc. On top of it, there is 5 years warranty and RSA. There might be additional discounts from the dealer as well. For me, I am still not interested as the comfortline misses out on sunroof, push start, keyless entry and reverse camera.

Last edited by adimicra : 27th September 2019 at 08:36.
adimicra is offline  
Old 27th September 2019, 09:59   #321
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 989
Thanked: 392 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Let me comment on your options,

Tiguan CL should have the best ride quality and must also be the sweet and cheapest at 30L OTR with the new Corp edition which is 4.5L cheaper than CL, but service would be jostling with Polo/Vento's (my exp with Jetta)

Endy 2.2 might be a good bet for the city so you can do off roading in BLR roads roads, a little expensive at <40L, a little uncertaininty over operations transfering to Mahindra, service could be similar to VW but what happens when Mahindra takes over?

X1 is the most expensive even after the big discounts, looks sweet (esp. M Sport in estoril blue) but might break your back with the RFT and your bank with the traffic/pot holes... service albeit expensive but would definitely be better... now is is more affordable with per KM service charge Rs. 1.4/km for diesel and <Rs.1/km for petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
I am considering X1/Tiguan/Endeavour. Have some questions Bengalooru folks might be able to answer -

1. Do you drive in infamous peak hour traffic that goes 5 km in 1 hour? If yes, what is your average fuel consumption? Not that I care about fuel consumption, but curious.

2. How do you feel after your journey with regards to drive? Compared to previous sedans/hatches you might have owned?

3. Hows your experience in driving on those dug up roads for metro/gas lining? Very hard/hard/okkkay/good? What are you comparing against?

Generic questions not specific to Bengalooreans-

4. Ambient lighting colours can be changed? Adjust brightness/turn off?

5. When you are in Apple CarPlay + Google Maps, does it let you choose "alternate routes" in the car's display? Like there will be multiple routes available, 3 mins faster, 2 mins slower, etc. Will you be able to select the ones you want on car infotainment display?
Test drive car couldn't do this - want to know if that is a car specific bug or it just works that way.

6. Do you have a cleaner who washes your car in your apartments? How does your sunroof look after a year? How did you maintain it? What do you do when angry birds take dump on it?
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 10:03   #322
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
Updates to the 2019 Comfortline include a reverse parking camera (which my 2018 Comfortline does not have) and some additional parking sensors.
Dear Tiguan owners, is the 2019 car really missing reverse camera in Comfortline? I keep reading from previous few pages that, this is still missing features.
Above post proves that SakthiSarangi did bought new Tiguan with that feature. Am I missing anything?

I did enquire this in Bangalore, and my SA confirmed me that this feature is not available.

This is major feature for me for considering Comfortline and I cannot afford and not interested in Sunroof.
lokii_83 is offline  
Old 27th September 2019, 11:42   #323
Senior - BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,211
Thanked: 1,683 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

According to the brochure which was last released officially in August 2019, there is no reverse camera for the Comfortline variant. VW is known to add / delete features randomly, could be that the reverse camera has been added recently. [ATTACH=Tiguan-eBorchure-2019.pdf]1918558[/ATTACH]

I completely agree, only features that matter in the difference between CL and HL are the KESSY and Reverse Parking Camera. I mean they give the CL an electrically operated boot lid and no KESSY? Thats just weird and lazy packaging I feel. Other major differences such as the sunroof, LED tail lights, ambient lighting and 18" wheels are subjective and not worth the huge price gap IMHO. Having said that, adding reverse camera to the Tiguan should be fairly easy at a recommended VAG tuning shop.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tiguan-eBorchure-2019.pdf (5.50 MB, 356 views)

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 27th September 2019 at 11:48. Reason: added post
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 14:53   #324
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Getting a Comfortline deal for 30.6 lakh for a 2018 model. Deal breaker though is the lack of reversing camera, I can't digest the fact considering I have pre booked Seltos which has loads of gadgetry and features.

It this a good deal? Also any pointers on after market reverse camera? I had an after market mirror screen got reverse camera which kind of got so heavy that the ball holding the mirror broke and could never fix it.
springisking is offline  
Old 27th September 2019, 20:16   #325
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Let me comment on your options,

Tiguan CL should have the best ride quality and must also be the sweet and cheapest at 30L OTR with the new Corp edition which is 4.5L cheaper than CL, but service would be jostling with Polo/Vento's (my exp with Jetta)

Endy 2.2 might be a good bet for the city so you can do off roading in BLR roads roads, a little expensive at <40L, a little uncertaininty over operations transfering to Mahindra, service could be similar to VW but what happens when Mahindra takes over?

X1 is the most expensive even after the big discounts, looks sweet (esp. M Sport in estoril blue) but might break your back with the RFT and your bank with the traffic/pot holes... service albeit expensive but would definitely be better... now is is more affordable with per KM service charge Rs. 1.4/km for diesel and <Rs.1/km for petrol
Seems like VW is better choice then; Although, I am looking at Highline. I can deal with Tiguan level hardness I guess, I didn't observe so much of hardness on test drive. If it is closer to Polo's driving, I am happy.

On your service note, obviously Tiguan sold less, they will be less in number to show up at service centres. The driving patterns/behaviours of people buying Tiguan is slightly different too.
But why is that a problem, are you saying service centres are inundated with so many Polos? Beats me, if Maruti can do so many alto's, why not VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
Getting a Comfortline deal for 30.6 lakh for a 2018 model. Deal breaker though is the lack of reversing camera, I can't digest the fact considering I have pre booked Seltos which has loads of gadgetry and features.

It this a good deal? Also any pointers on after market reverse camera? I had an after market mirror screen got reverse camera which kind of got so heavy that the ball holding the mirror broke and could never fix it.
Last time I checked, you walk into showroom, they quote 31 something for 2019 comfortline. 2018 car should command much less, not just 1 lakh difference I guess.

Also, I feel for you regarding Seltos here, buddy. I am in same boat as you, so is another user @adimicra Although he seems to be on Octavia/Tucson/Seltos, I am on Seltos/Tiguan/Endy/X1 boat.

I am curious to know why is it you got ready with ~10 lakhs extra when Seltos has more features?
I am yet to decide, but seems like I will prebook Seltos anyway, can get into the queue and think further.
shrinath_m2 is offline  
Old 27th September 2019, 20:19   #326
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 663
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
I am considering X1/Tiguan/Endeavour. Have some questions Bengalooru folks might be able to answer -

Fuel efficiency - Tiguan seriously stays on diet even in deadlock traffic. I have never seen a FE less than 8 kmpl in my 28,000km run. I usually check my FE report during every ride. My long term average is still above 10.5 kmpl. This is with 60% Bangalore city drive and 40% on highways.

Ride & Comfort - As long as the road surface is flat, Tiguan is a breeze to be in. 3 Zone AC is exceptional, feels like you are sitting in a centralized AC with barely any fan noise. You won't feel fatigue or tired even when you stay in for very long. But on the dug up Bangalore roads, Tiguan gets uncomfortable a bit. Suspension is definitely not made for uneven surfaces.

Google Map - Yes, you can select alternate route while on a move and you get live traffic updates like congestion ahead and xx min delay etc.. It works really well.

My security guard washes my car with pressure washer every weekend. On weekdays, I just dust it as I have ceramic coating. Takes 2 min for the dusting.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 20:57   #327
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinath_m2 View Post
Seems like VW is better choice then; Although, I am looking at Highline. I can deal with Tiguan level hardness I guess, I didn't observe so much of hardness on test drive. If it is closer to Polo's driving, I am happy.

On your service note, obviously Tiguan sold less, they will be less in number to show up at service centres. The driving patterns/behaviours of people buying Tiguan is slightly different too.
But why is that a problem, are you saying service centres are inundated with so many Polos? Beats me, if Maruti can do so many alto's, why not VW.



Last time I checked, you walk into showroom, they quote 31 something for 2019 comfortline. 2018 car should command much less, not just 1 lakh difference I guess.

Also, I feel for you regarding Seltos here, buddy. I am in same boat as you, so is another user @adimicra Although he seems to be on Octavia/Tucson/Seltos, I am on Seltos/Tiguan/Endy/X1 boat.

I am curious to know why is it you got ready with ~10 lakhs extra when Seltos has more features?
I am yet to decide, but seems like I will prebook Seltos anyway, can get into the queue and think further.
Well I was always ok till 30 but did not have good options. Started with Jeep Compass Limited Plus Petrol as an alternative for Seltos but then the rear bench, FCA future in India and notorious fuel efficiency kind of put a brake on it. Always a fan of Octavia actually my first love but the resale(considering next trend would be electric), lack of ground clearance has kept this in Bay, Tucson has been the closest match and I am being offered about 2 lakh discount for top end diesel 4*2 which would come around 28. I have always been a fan of Tucson especially it's understated style. I do know that Tucson facelift is around the corner atleast in the 6 months and that is not a big upgrade so I want to take advantage and milk as much as possible. However after hearing all the Seltos features all other premium segment cars sound like 70s!! I also have Superb corporate edition in consideration for 32 but again the length and GC is not appropriate for Bangalore roads.

So essentially now it is between Seltos and Tucson. Tiguan was an after thought.
springisking is offline  
Old 27th September 2019, 22:22   #328
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 459
Thanked: 391 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

I am willing to sell my 1 yr old 14k+ kms done Tiguan highline, if anyone is interested PM for more details. The vehicle is MH passing.
sreejinair is offline  
Old 27th September 2019, 23:43   #329
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Still it’s not clear if 2019 CL model has reversing camera or not? Anyone else who are on hunt having idea?
lokii_83 is offline  
Old 28th September 2019, 00:14   #330
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Thane
Posts: 88
Thanked: 219 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
Still it's not clear if 2019 CL model has reversing camera or not? Anyone else who are on hunt having idea?

As mentioned earlier, we took delivery of a 2019 Tiguan CL in Pune from BU Bhandari and the vehicle came equipped with a reverse camera. We did not ask for one, nor did we discuss it with the dealer. In some cases while the chassis is 2019, the electrical system maybe of an earlier vintage. Hence you should go and check the vehicle to see if it has the camera.
shaktisarangi is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks