Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2017, 10:40   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
Hi dbaapps, I booked XZ+ DT (Morracan Blue) Diesel on 4th October 2017 with Concorde Motors, Guindy - Chennai. I am in touch atleast once or twice on weekly basis with the Sales person. I checked with his team leader on 18th Oct and he said that it will easily take another month for me to get my car. He also said that, as of now the road approval is not yet granted for Nexon and the first batch itself is not yet registered and are resting in the yard. I sold my old car too soon and having a hard time without a car.
Hi satish_tns, thanks I have also booked XZ+DT(Moroccan Blue) ,well at least I have car to drive ,in Maharastra it is road approved as I have seen delivery being given at Concord ,Baner Pune.
Old 24th October 2017, 11:44   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
He also said that, as of now the road approval is not yet granted for Nexon and the first batch itself is not yet registered and are resting in the yard.
I wonder why such a thing has to happen in every state. There should only be one authority across the nation and once it certifies the car as road worthy that should be final. There should be no separate approvals in individual states.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:05   #183
Senior - BHPian

'Not every family member comes home on two legs, some drive in on all four wheels'

Cars have always been an extension of our family. Waking up at the strike of dawn and giving it a clean bath has been a family 'parampara'. So, when we had to decide on a car that would be with us for some time to come, the decision had to be carefully thought out. Never have we disposed of any of our four wheels for lack of performance or niggles. Issues with the machine, however small, get immediate attention and is sorted. It's more like a relationship in which you invest time. And the cars have also returned the love amply. It's such an obsession that we don't rest till it's back on its feet and returned to original condition.

Our first gen Zen was with us for 15 years and was sent away in showroom condition (Reason for sale: AC couldn't keep up with the rising heat). Next came the Eon but the car sat too low and would graze every hump. It's a fantastic car for that money, but the low ground clearance was something I couldn't correct. Got spacers installed, upgraded the rims and tyres (spent 45k), but it still fell short!

Nothing in life is perfect, we have to make it perfect!

Ok, the story starts with Bangalore and it's rapidly disappearing 'roads'. Going out and about in the Silicon city takes great patience these days. The 'Mars like terrain' called for a 'Rover'. Regular cars just wouldn't do, it had to be an SUV. Something compact so it's easily manageable, be it for parking or driving. Choice of fuel was Diesel as a project coming up outside the city demands a good amount of travel.

Cars test driven -

The Brezza - The Brezza had good ground clearance but meek build and rattling interiors in my cousin's car just didn't cut it. I did not like the turbo lag and the engine as well. Just did not feel as well tuned as it's on the Swift.

XUV 500 - We almost picked up the XUV500 Automatic as it ticked all boxes. But a close friend was having a tough time parking his car on our narrow roads, and advised against it. He uses his wife's Micra Automatic in the city and the XUV is relegated to long trips only.

Ecosport - We somehow did not like the dashboard. It looks futuristic and the car is definitely able but it wasn't a resounding 'yes' from the family. The rear bench was very cramped for three people to sit in comfort as well.

Nexon - The Nexon had a lot going for it even before it was launched. I was keenly following this model since its debut at the Auto Show. It has a very striking personality and looks to kill. You can view it from far and know it's a Nexon. Even when you look at International models like Suzuki Vitara and Nissan Kicks, which I have driven in the Gulf, this looks distinct.

So when it landed in Bengaluru guess who was waiting - briefcase in hand!

Love at first sight!
I just had a quick look at it and hadn't even taken a test drive, this had to be it. The choice of materials used, the dark fabric, the well damped switches, everything - screamed quality. It didn't even get one second to stretch its legs after a long ride from the factory and was snapped up immediately.

It's close contender, the Brezza played it very safe with its looks but the Nexon was in 'uncharted territory' even when it came to design. I liked this thought! The car is a great 'rough rider' and looked the part.

Reliability was never a question in my mind as we, as family, tend to make the machine perfect as time develops. We achieved it with all our previous cars, and even on this no effort will be spared!

The front gets instant approval. It's aggressive hawkish stance is a killer! The rear polarized a few but it just grew on the 'nay-Sayers'. Ditto, the white highlights on the side. The first few days I took the car out, guys were taking selfies with the car (especially college kids). Even now, it pulls in a second glance. People just love the design and the stance. So many guys ask questions about the car wherever I stopped, be it at traffic signals or at the Mall - which I answer patiently. Glasgow Grey really suits it to the core along with the contrasting white accents. The Company did highlight the Red and Blue during launch but in my opinion these colours don't do justice. Maybe, a different shade of these colours could do the trick! In white, the lines get washed away and the silver looks like a non-starter. This is purely my feeling, and the guys at the different Dealerships I visited were also of the same view.

A close friend has also booked the car and in Glasgow Grey after getting my 'thumbs up'. He will get it in Jan as waiting periods have climbed (Maruti guys called him and assured Brezza delivery within a week - shows increased production by the Company - but he wants the Nexon). Knowing Maruti, I have no doubt that Brezza will get updated interiors in the near future, matching the Nexon's.

Only the top end would do!
We chose the fully loaded XZ+, as most of the features are what we would use on a daily basis. The dual tone roof on the next variant did not interest us. The absence of 6 airbags (As in the Ecosport) did disappoint, but this is the car which had 99% of things that we wanted, so we went with the decision.

Drives amazingly well!
The Nexon is a delight to drive in the city and devours the highway with its newly derived 1.5liter mill. The diesel engine has very little turbo lag (I don't feel it) and is linear in its power delivery. It's not an easy feat achieved by Tata as both Suzuki and Honda are struggling to find a sweet spot in Diesel engines. The clatter is hardly audible in the well insulated cabin. Kudos to team Tata Motors on this achievement!

Tall performer!
Ground clearance is an ample 210MM, and is more than adequate for Bangalore's road humps and craters. Shocks are slightly 'springy' but do their job.

Class leading interiors!
The plastics used, the fabric on the seats, the nicely damped buttons, the chunky steering wheel, screamed quality. Seats are snug and comfortable. Leg space is adequate. Storage bins are amazing.

Chilling Air Conditioning!
Like all Tata cars the AC is quite a performer and chills in no time. Bangalore is cool right now so fan speed 1 is adequate. It gets slightly noisy as you move up. Rear blowers throw out adequate air. Mind you, these are just blowers and don't get a separate compressor.
Basically, there is very little that we do not like in this car!

Good dealer experience!
Dealer experience with Aadya Motors was very good, and small complaints were immediately attended to. Chandru, the SE was very humble, answering all my queries, ably aided by both Ms. Sevandhi and Mr. Ibrahim. Deadlines were chased by me, to the minute, and stuck to - by the Dealership. They're moving into a swanky new showroom very close to Hebbal Lake, and are concentrating on that. But I'm happy they still gave me time!

'Fully loaded' would be an understatement!
Feature-wise the car is pretty well equipped. The three driving modes really work and are not a gimmick at all. The least favourite with me is 'Economy' (needs more throttle input and is 'testy' under tight city conditions), would use this in the Highway. 'City mode' is ideal, and is the most in use, while 'Sport' sips a lot of fuel and reduces 'range', but gives it beautiful pick-up and handling.

Decent average!
Fuel economy stands at 13-14 in Sport mode with an incremental gain of 2KMPL in City and a significant gain in 'Economy mode'. I'm assured of much better numbers post first service.

Talk to me, Baby!
Voice command is a delight to use. I adjust temperature and fan speed using this. Even for music it's very handy. Skipping tracks and selecting them by number is done in a cinch. For Eg "Play Track Number 7" command gets a proper response. In this respect the Ford unit was slightly more responsive, but this gets the job done, no issues.

Superior sound!
The Harman Kardon unit is the life of the car! With 8 speakers, the sound stage is the best on any car under 20 lakhs. It has individual settings for your music preference, and gets used extensively. I don't find the 480p display 'laggy' at all as reported elsewhere, (could be because I insisted on the latest software update during delivery). The system needs to be tuned for individual preference and could sound flat the first time. Rear camera is adequate even in dark conditions. Radio reception through the shark fin antenna is adequate - though it loses signal a few times on the highway. Looks trendy though!

Well weighted steering feedback!
Driving is precise and weighs up adequately as the car gains momentum. It's very similar to Fiat I felt. The gears are precise, though I doubt the 6th will ever get used - given our traffic conditions. Even on the Bangalore-Mysore highway I could only move up to 5th, max. The first 4 gears are impeccable with good ratios. The vehicle has covered 1000Kms so far in city as well as on the highway, so let's see how things pan out! Right now I'm enjoying the drive thoroughly.

A place for everything and everything in its place!
Space management on the inside is amazing with rear seats providing 100% flip & flat fold. Boot space is a good 350 litres. There are storage spaces on all doors. The glove box is really deep and has nice slots for essentials like a pen, writing pad, car papers etc. It has cup holders built in but that's too much of a stretch for the driver to reach.

Truly Grand!
The Grand Central Console is really impressive with deep bins to keep things away from prying eyes. I use the storage space under the 'Tambour sliding door' a lot, with USBs and spare phone neatly tucked away from sight. The elbow rest is great, even though it doesn't slide forward. I feel a longer hand rest could have come in the way so this is a good enough arrangement for me.

Even the wiper's premium!
Love the well designed wipers with their 'plush' sweep (Gives a nice wide wipe). Please try this if you can. The water spray's actually a 'nice shower' on the windshield!

Designed to please!
The instrument cluster is a joy to behold and has great back-light - The 'intensity' is just right and doesn't irritate at night. The mandatory displays are easy to read, with one stand out feature - the door open indicator - which tells you exactly which door is open. Great feature to have.

Never in the dark!
The projector headlights are really good (driver's side light is slightly angled away from incoming traffic). DRLs look really posh! I like this better than Brezza's as the light has a nice spread on the ground.

Confident on any terrain!
The Bridgestone Turanza tyres (215/60 R16) are very good. Prefer these over Goodyear Assurance, which few other owners got. Tyres are fitted at the factory and linked to warranty, so can't be changed at dealer lever. Road noise is well controlled and inspires confidence while taking corners.

Note: Recommended tyre PSI is 30 (and it is at this setting that it gets bumpy at low speeds). They perform better when maintained anywhere be tween 26-28 PSI and don't feel the bumps much. But this is detrimental to the life of the tyres. Team Tata Motors should re-look this aspect, but I'm not complaining - It's fine.

Wheel wells gets full cladding and under-body has anti-rust coating, confirmed at 3M. 16'' Machine-cut alloys wheels in dual finish look stunning!

So overall a great package, the Nexon has arrived at the time we need it the most - to grace our garage, and how!

Few irritants:
Android Auto only (I use iPhone)
USB port should have been inside the bin
Only driver-side power window switches are back-lit
The 2 power outlets work but the charger unit tends to slip out, (It's not holding it snugly).
The rear view mirrors don't fold in smoothly, notice some noise.
Large bonnet gaps and space between windshield and A pillar accumulating debris (can be cleaned only with compressed air)
'A' pillar is quite 'thickish' - (guess it's safer) - but got used to it now.
2 Airbags only - Why Tata?
Spare wheel isn't an alloy.
Rear seat belt 'hinge resting slots' look poorly finished (like an after thought)
The request key could have been sleeker.
Turn signals are in a hurry to cut off. (Wanted it to last a second or two more)
Glove box cover fouls with front passenger knee, when open

The NEX ON, in a nutshell:

WHAT'S ON!
-Aggressive SUV stance
-'High' driving position
-Solid build (Doors close with a solid thud)
-Smooth gears
-1.5L engine pulls like a bull on steroids
-Harman Kardon System with 8 Speakers
-Grand central console with its creature comforts/storage
-Highest ground clearance
-Multi Drive Mode Dial
-'Premium feel' at all touch points - even the wipers sweep in a plush manner
-Voice commands/alerts
-Unique umbrella pockets in front door came handy during the best/worst monsoon showers we have ever received (water from a wet umbrella goes out through a channel)
-Rear seat comfort with hand-rest
-Deep (cooled) glove box
-Park assist guide-ways on screen
-Boot gets 4 hooks and a light
-Cabin gets convenient hooks to hang stuff and the front passenger gets a nifty flip type near the foot
-Spring loaded hand grabs gives premium feel
-Different textures are great to touch
-Chunky steering wheel, looks fabulous

NOT ON!
-Inconsistent voice recognition (Embarrassing in front of co-passengers when it doesn't work)
-Inconsistent lock/unlock from remote. Need to check if it's locked every time
-Only front two airbags even in the top-most variant (Team Tata Motors, I was prepared to pay for 6 airbags)
-Power socket doesn't hold charger snugly, letting it slip
-Noisy side mirror folding mechanism
-Limited head space - I hit my head every time I get in the driver seat, even my feet have to be maneuvered in (after adjusting steering to highest position). This is a big bummer, but I really need the high ground clearance so it's fine!
-Mails/queries not replied to from people listed on Tata Motors website, passenger car division (TM, take this seriously) This is no time to be shy
-Plain vanilla visor lets down the impeccable cabin (without back lit mirror)
-Sun-glass holder is just a slot (could be better designed)
-No roof light for rear passenger

Alternatives that were considered (Wanted only mini SUV):
Vitara Brezza
XUV 500

Price discounts and accessories:
-Since this was a hot new SUV, and we wanted it the very first day, there was no room for any negotiation.
-Did not receive even a pin as a free accessory. The mud flaps, floor mats etc were all paid for.

The infamous handling charges and insurance:
-All charges, including handling of Rs 6,500, were paid
-Got insurance from outside at a little under 20K from this great guy at New India Assurance (Can PM you the ref).
-Haven't taken bumper to bumper.
-The dealership quote was between 32K and 38K.
-Bought 2 year additional warranty, as its a new model with a new engine.

(Please go through dealership quotes in fine detail as one dealer KHT was quoting 3K more in Road Tax (this is illegal). That was on the first day of launch so could explain the confusion, maybe it's revised now)

Top tip: Carry a print out of the TeamBHP PDI, and take a day to do this - as it proved invaluable in my case.
I had to reject my first allotted car based on this (Aadya Motors was sweet enough to accommodate, but not sure if every dealer will be as patient).

Usage: At least 50Kms daily
Fuel efficiency: 13-16 in City and 18 on Highway (Tank full-Tank full method)

Please let me know what you think of the Nexon on this thread. Will detail out the service experience/parts reliability in future as right now it's rock solid!

Have added few pictures of the Nexon's strong points below, hope you like them.

My newly increased corporate responsibilities and frequent travel leave very little room for 'passions', but I will update the thread at regular intervals for sure. 'Itna toh banta hai' for our beloved 'TeamBHP'

The much discussed and polarizing ceramic strip! (This demands a lot of attention, and a micro-fiber cloth is always close at hand just for this panel). In this picture I feel like the TATA MOTORS logo is proudly inching forward, away from the body, like a Gargoyle. Also seen is the smartly integrated rear view camera. This does it's job and is clear, in dimly lit situations as well.
Note: The ivory finish on the strip cannot be wrapped by 3M for protection as it's non-metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_5720.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_5597.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_5634.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_5635.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_5705.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img_5702.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th October 2017 at 14:09. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Sebring is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:05   #184
BANNED

Let me be the first one to congrat you man. Nexon is indeed a wonderful vehicle in and out.

Looking forward for more pics and initial driving experiences.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th October 2017 at 11:08.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:19   #185

Congrats on the new ride! And that colour is just ! Do post more pics.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th October 2017 at 12:01. Reason: See mod note
Petr0lHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:47   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
'Not every family member comes home on two legs, some drive in on all four wheels'
My newly increased corporate responsibilities and frequent travel leave very little room for 'passions', but I will update the thread at regular intervals for sure. 'Itna toh banta hai' for our beloved 'TeamBHP'
Congrats Sebring. Awesome choice of color too. Wish you many happy and safe miles on your Nexon.

Request to Mods: Can we move this to a separate thread, since this is the 1st ownership review of Nexon in Team-BHP?
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 12:33   #187
BHPian

Congrats Sebring on your new ride!Thanks a lot for your brief review. Nice to hear that you consider your car as one in the family and all your cars have returned your love amply! Was a bit confused about the ride quality, there were different opinions on this thread, now I have some clarity. Had booked one XZ+ DT, Vermont Red on 4th of this month and after 4 days changed the color to Glasgow Grey. Haven't seen one yet in flesh, but a couple of posts from fellow BHPians made me do it. As someone had mentioned earlier, the dealer here in Pondicherry too is non committal on the waiting period. Selling my year old Grand i10 Petrol. Wish the buying and selling should happen within a short gap.
jgsolo27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 15:40   #188
Senior - BHPian

@Sebring - Congrats on your new Nexon.

Why don't you ask Mod to move your post to a new thread? Your's is the first initial ownership details of Nexon on the forum, and will be helpful for members looking for details from current owners if you have a separate thread. Just a suggestion. Since you have top variant, you will be in a position to answer most of the queries.

Last edited by Latheesh : 25th October 2017 at 15:45.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:44   #189
Senior - BHPian

Could someone share the price of the wrist band accessory that comes. It seems to be a novel thing in compact SUV segment. I notice only other accessories and there is no mention of this anywhere
Old 25th October 2017, 19:38   #190
BHPian

Excellent write up Sebring!!. It earns a place in a separate ownership review.

Highlighting a few points that caught my attention

Quote:

Decent average!
Fuel economy stands at 13-14 in Sport mode with an incremental gain of 2KMPL in City and a significant gain in 'Economy mode'. I'm assured of much better numbers post first service.
--
Tyres are fitted at the factory and linked to warranty, so can't be changed at dealer lever.
--

-Inconsistent lock/unlock from remote. Need to check if it's locked every time

-Noisy side mirror folding mechanism

-Sun-glass holder is just a slot (could be better designed)

-No roof light for rear passenger
The average mileage seems far from what Tata has told (Even though that was in eco mode, IIRC). But I was expecting it to be more. Hoping the service brings it up.

Didn’t know that Tata tracked tyres per vehicle. That’s definitely a good move.Nice to know the reverse camera is sufficient. Good to know about the interior quality too.

I suggest you do a check with Tata about the ORVM folding mechanism, because while I did a test drive, mirrors folded with a slight noise but wasn’t irritatingly noisy.

Passenger lights are a miss, but i think reading lights are provided as an official accessory. Yet to see one though.

As per the Nexon manual there is only a wallet holder rather than sunglass holder. Maybe that’s why it isn’t so roomy.

Waiting for more reviews from you. Especially regarding service and maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-wallet-storage.jpg  

RideRanger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 21:01   #191
BHPian

Hearty congratulations Sebring. Wish you many miles of merry motoring.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 08:31   #192
BHPian

Quote:
NOT ON!
-Limited head space - I hit my head every time I get in the driver seat, even my feet have to be maneuvered in (after adjusting steering to highest position). This is a big bummer, but I really need the high ground clearance so it's fine!
Hey Sebring, Congratulations for your Nexon. Glasgow Grey is the best choice according to me as well.

Further to your cmment on Limited Head space, Can you please comment upon the ingress and egress in the rear seat. This is one the biggest "NOT ON" for me.

Mods: i agree with srvm, this post from Sebring should be moved to a separate thread as an ownership review.
mahen_narang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 09:19   #193
Senior - BHPian

I don't see a problem there. Ingress and egress in the rear seat is fine because you approach at an angle. Nobody hit their heads so far. In fact I was thinking the 'rear climb' could be an issue for my aged parents, but they didn't have any issues and are delighted, once in.

Regarding moving this to a seperate thread, what happened was that I took a lot of pictures and detailed out every small thing a month back and that could have run into 5 pages (this was before the official review came out). So the mods requested a smaller version and when I deleted the pages, it became 'too little'. It would be nice to maintain a seperate thread as I have so much more to share! Mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
Can you please comment upon the ingress and egress in the rear seat. This is one the biggest "NOT ON" for me.

Mods: i agree with srvm, this post from Sebring should be moved to a separate thread as an ownership review.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 10:04   #194
BHPian

Hello folks,
My first post on Team-BHP and pardon my ignorance if the question seems too trivial. I have booked Tata Nexon Diesel Glasgow Grey XZ+ and expect delivery in first half of November. Can any of the experts (especially those who have taken delivery of Nexon) confirm size of wheel nut locks for Nexon. McGard suggested to try out 27015SU model with following specifications -
Thread: M12x1.5
Seat: 60°
shaft length: 31.8 mm
Hex size: 17 mm
But I need to be damn sure these do fit Nexon wheels as returns on amazon global store for this product is not entertained. Any other suggestions to secure the XZ+ alloys would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by ar134 : 26th October 2017 at 10:06.
ar134 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 12:18   #195
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see a problem there. Ingress and egress in the rear seat is fine because you approach at an angle. Nobody hit their heads so far. In fact I was thinking the 'rear climb' could be an issue for my aged parents, but they didn't have any issues and are delighted, once in.
Did you enquire about the wearable key or have any information regarding it?
Are dealers providing it or have they given any timeline by when it will be available?

Since the wearable key will be only an accessory, is it possible that the wearable key from one car works on the other as well?

Mods : There is no review of the performance of the infotainment system in the review? By performance I mean the acoustic performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks