Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2019, 16:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda CR-V : Official Review

Want a car that will outlast you and has low cost of maintenance - Fortuner.
Want a car that is comfortable, spacious, and massive road presence - Endeavour‎
Want a car that is classy, but can still take on rough roads - Kodiaq
Want a car that will prove to the world you lack imagination - CRV.

The end.
OrangeCar is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 17:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I was the only brave and fit mod among the 5 to actually attempt to climb into the third row of that car. So give me some credit please.
So here goes... Some say he is an expert contortionist, while others say his handle is Vid6969. All we know is that he's the 3rd-row version of the Stig:
blackwasp is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 17:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The Honda CR-V is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 28.25 - 32.75 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you won't:

• Simply overpriced for what it offers!
• Small 1.6L diesel in a 30-lakh car. 9-speed AT deserves a more powerful motor
• 3rd row is best suited to kids only
• Some glaring omissions such as front parking sensors, electronic tailgate operation etc.
• 7-seater variant only offered with the diesel
• Just 150 liters of boot space if 3rd-row seat is being used
I beg to differ here, but the omission of the electronic tailgate operation is not really a huge one. It hardly takes any effort to do it by hand. Also, we generally do not have a habit of using it (some of us might). It also helps to ensure reliability of the tailgate. I do not like such fancy electronics Front parking sensors? Maybe, considering the length of the vehicle.
The other two points are not big problems. But the biggest problems are:
- Price, price, price When will Honda learn? Even the Civic is not well priced.
- The 1.6 diesel. And people were bashing Skoda for not offering the 2.0 TDi in the higher state of tune for the Kodiaq. Wonder what will happen to Honda?
- It simply doesn’t have the road presence of and Endeavour and Fortuner. I understand that they are butch ladder-on-frames, but a portion of the general public will be disappointed for sure. This, I feel, will be the biggest deal breaker for our ‘Aam junta’ (I don’t intend to offend anyone) where 30 lakh= Butch, brawny, humongous street cred and reliable. I guess the sales charts are with me.

My verdict? A ‘reliable’ alternative to the Kodiaq. Just don’t expect the same level of finesse and sophistication. I’d go with the Kodiaq any day.
balderash_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 18:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent interiors (minus the useless third row seats), probably a great 9AT ZF gearbox totally let down by a 1.6D engine. A power/weight quotient of 68-72 bhp/ton for a monocoque crossover is simply not acceptable in 2019. The WRV Y& Jazz have better ratios :-(
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 18:25   #20
BHPian

Great review, as always. The overall conclusion aligned with my general expectations - solid 5 seater package marred by pricing.

1) The last row is woefully inadequate for anybody older than 12-13 yrs. It actually makes more sense to sit "Indian style" with legs crossed on the seat, rather than in a chair position. Even the last gen Ertiga seems to have better seats. Thus, the petrol model too should've been given last row, because nobody's using them for long trips (which is the logic behind a diesel only 7 seater). Why rob the petrol owners off the added flexibility?

2)
Quote:
The Kodiaq too is bigger than the CR-V, but follows a more boxy and traditional design language.
Is it just me or is the CR-V dwarfing the Kodiaq in that photo?

3)
Quote:
While I initially felt it was a gimmick, using it on the highways and in the city for some time convinced me that it is a very useful feature, especially while driving such a large car.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the view from the lane change camera looks the exact same as it would from the left ORVM (camera should cover greater FOV, imo).

4)
Quote:
In the case of CR-V, this superb 9AT begs for a more powerful engine.
If the gearbox is unable to shift to 9th (lack of speed due to lack of roads) in the current engine tune state, I only wonder what it'll do with a more powerful engine (hardly use any gear above 6th maybe?). What you said about gearbox being overkill - bang on. 9 ratios are simply not needed in our country where speed limit on only certain expressways is 120 kmph, & 80-100 in others.
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 19:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

As usual an excellent and thorough XRay of the car.

Are the 4 power windows enabled for one touch up and down or only for the drivers window and is the one touch up and down available only from the driver side or even the passenger sides.
Old 13th March 2019, 20:33   #22

Excellent review as always. I personally feel that Honda has lost the charm that it once had especially with vehicles like Civic, CR-V & Accord even Jazz. IMO the Indian Civic and the 2nd gen CR-V had one of the best designs more importantly they were desirable, which is not the case these days.
vibmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 23:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
A comparo pic with the Hyundai Santa Fe. The Santa Fe is marginally longer, but it's beginning to show its age:
But the Santa Fe is not in sale anymore in India, its been more than a year since it was discontinued, did you mean to compare it with the Tuscon ?
SR-71 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 06:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Great review, as always. The overall conclusion aligned with my general expectations - solid 5 seater package marred by pricing.

1) The last row is woefully inadequate for anybody older than 12-13 yrs. It actually makes more sense to sit "Indian style" with legs crossed on the seat, rather than in a chair position. Even the last gen Ertiga seems to have better seats. Thus, the petrol model too should've been given last row, because nobody's using them for long trips (which is the logic behind a diesel only 7 seater). Why rob the petrol owners off the added flexibility?

2)
Is it just me or is the CR-V dwarfing the Kodiaq in that photo?

3)
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the view from the lane change camera looks the exact same as it would from the left ORVM (camera should cover greater FOV, imo).

4)
If the gearbox is unable to shift to 9th (lack of speed due to lack of roads) in the current engine tune state, I only wonder what it'll do with a more powerful engine (hardly use any gear above 6th maybe?). What you said about gearbox being overkill - bang on. 9 ratios are simply not needed in our country where speed limit on only certain expressways is 120 kmph, & 80-100 in others.
1) Can’t comment on the space, but this is typical of its class. There is no true 7 seater (maybe except the Fortuner) in the segment which can seat 7 adults comfortably.
2) There is not a significant difference between the dimensions of the two.
3) Have personally seen the feature and it is pretty useful, let me tell you! It really helps during tight traffic to cover blind spots.
4) True, 9 gears is a bit of overkill. There are questions over its long-term reliability too. Is that why Jeep is hesitant to introduce this gearbox on the Compass?
balderash_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 09:00   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review.

But 30+ lakh!!! This is simply an atrocious pricing considering that puny underpowered engine and low cost of production of monocoques compared to BoF. Even cars in one segment lower has bigger and more powerful engines.

It seems Honda is in no mood of competing with the big boys (TFort, Endy, Alturas) and do not expect to sell it more than double digits per month (And by that way, might earn more profit per car keeping the total revenue same as competitors).

Last edited by anu007 : 14th March 2019 at 09:09. Reason: Missed statement
anu007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:11   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Drove the CR-V and I feel it's a fine urban + premium crossover. But the two deal-breakers remain the grossly overpriced tag & the small diesel engine. At this price, I expect a fast 2.0L!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
I beg to differ here, but the omission of the electronic tailgate operation is not really a huge one.
Since you feel so strongly about it, I have removed the term "glaring". However, at this price point and especially for an overpriced car, a powered tail-gate is a given. The Endeavour & Kodiaq both offer it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibmat View Post
I personally feel that Honda has lost the charm that it once had especially with vehicles like Civic, CR-V & Accord even Jazz.
At one time in the mid-2000s, Honda was king of the premium category. The Civic, CR-V & Accord were all the no.1 sellers in their respective segments. How things have changed.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:18   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since you feel so strongly about it, I have removed the term "glaring". However, at this price point and especially for an overpriced car, a powered tail-gate is a given. The Endeavour & Kodiaq both offer it too. .
As does the Hyundai Tucson. And it works really well. I would want it in my next car as people have this habit of slamming the bonnet/boot. A button will help this case.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 10:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
As does the Hyundai Tucson. And it works really well. I would want it in my next car as people have this habit of slamming the bonnet/boot. A button will help this case.
Yes, that is what I meant. (Most) People do not really have the habit of pressing a button and shutting the boot; they just slam it down. But I have observed the electronic boot closing action and it feels very premium. It should be included on the CR-V but it’s omission should not be a large problem. It is a problem (if omitted) on the Fortuner and Endeavour, as short people (no offence) may not be able to close the boot. I am sorry if I made a hue and cry for it Jokes aside it was a great review! Though am not contemplating it for my purchases for aforementioned reasons.
balderash_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 11:10   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

A bullet point summary would be :

+ses
1. top notch interiors, material, finish, cubby holes, ICE
2. ride quality

-ses
1. why did they bother with 3rd row, without the wheelbase to accomodate it ?
2. P and D engines are a big disappointment - stepmotherly treatment of indian market
3. ultra mega overpriced
4. the ugly M800 like trip reset stalk in a 30 lac car - its not the engineer who came up with this solution who ought to be fired, but the layers of managers above him, who went "thats fine"
5. can we really trust a computer and some relays to keep the GB in gear/park/neutral ; instead of some human operated mechanical levers which leave no room for doubt ? Otherwise, why not make the paddle shifters themselves handle park and neutral as well ?
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 11:27   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review !! Brilliant !

When I was in US, I realized Honda CR-V is the most preferred SUV for a family (especially Indians) with a kid and Honda Odyssey if a family is with 2 kids.

The reason is that Honda CR-V provided lot of features at a competitive price when compared with rivals like Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX3, Subaru Forester, Toyota Rav4 and more over its reliability - buy it, fill it and forget it. I have seen lot of older versions being driven for 10 - 15 years.

Before buying Subaru Forester, test drove all the above mentioned SUVs and the points I hated about Honda CR-V were:
--> The A & C thick pillars: I felt very uncomfortable during left/right turns, reversing without rear camera (this is being made as a standard across many cars starting from 2016 I guess in US). Sadly this is how the design is :(
--> The shape of the SUV from behind: I always feel that the boot protrudes out which is not the case with the older CR-V versions.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks