Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2019, 20:05   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Driving the 2.0L Diesel MT
The Harrier gets a 1,956 cc, 4-cylinder Kryotec diesel engine with an electronically-controlled variable geometry turbocharger sourced from Fiat. This is the same motor that powers the Jeep Compass. Here, it produces 138 BHP @ 3,750 rpm (33 horses lesser than the Jeep) and 350 Nm @ 1,750 - 2,500 rpm (same as the Jeep). The engine is built at Fiat-Tata’s Ranjangaon (MH) facility.
Might be a silly question but: Why does the harrier have 33 bhp less than the compass when they are both the same engine and have same torque?
Old 26th May 2019, 21:40   #137
Senior - BHPian

Different maps because both have same torque. The harrier makes less peak power and it's power curve peaks towards lower RPM's.

Last edited by ajmat : 26th May 2019 at 21:46.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 21:52   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Might be a silly question but: Why does the harrier have 33 bhp less than the compass when they are both the same engine and have same torque?
Amongst many other components, the Turbocharger & the intercooler would be different. The ECU would be tuned with a certain map that (I guess) electronically regulates at the RPM at which the turbo spools.
WorkingGuru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 22:07   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Engine is tuned considering some factors such as Vehicle weight, gear box, vehicle dynamics, area of applications/ target customers , emissions, fuel efficiency etc. to name a few.

So while on paper the peak bhp looks good, but one would hardly rev engine to 3700 rpms to extract the peak power in normal driving conditions. So the focus is to make engine more driveable in the RPM band of 1400 to 2800 rpms where it would spend most of its life time by most of the users.
beast_within is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 17:39   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am extremely happy to hear this . At the end of the day, it is a simple fix. Just wondering how Tata even approved this kind of a risky steering for production, but hey, better late than never (the fix).

Do update us after taking it out on the highway too.
I have driven my Harrier for more than 4000kms after the first service, and I can definitely confirm that there is zero nervousness at high speeds, and the steering is heavy, and maybe a little too heavy. Obviously a little heavier is much more better than too light at high speeds which I felt before the first service, which felt very risky.

I'm really not sure if the Tata service center had done anything to improve the steering at high speeds, or if this is another side effect of another issue. Anyways I plan to discuss this with them for my 2nd service, which will be due in another 1000 kms.

I'm generally very happy with this car, and the only negative point which sticks out for me on a regular basis is the notchy gearbox during shifts between 1st and 2nd.

The different drive modes are just amazing, and just allows drivers to be really engaged. Yesterday evening I was driving from Wayanad to Bangalore, and for a change in economy mode, and it was really an extremely pleasant and quite cabin, and still I was easily able to overtake and pull ahead in the very light traffic. The harrier was set in economy mode, but I was driving in sports mode.

Half way through it was raining like a storm, and a lot of the roads being constructed via the Kanakapura road were flooded as well, but the Harrier was able to take off pretty well. Please note, there were a lot of other small cars which were able to easily ride these roads, but the Harrier did give me a confidence boost.
micraft is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 21:41   #141
Senior - BHPian

Spotted Buzzard and Variant of Harrier testing here at Nagpur, they were accompanied by at least Half a dozen Jeep Compass Variants.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20190522_155212.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20190522_155216.jpg  

Tata Harrier : Official Review-img_20190523_102233.jpg  

agspins is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 07:41   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

More powerful, BS6-ready diesel engine coming.

The Compass Trailhawk will be the first model in India to be powered by the BS6 emission norms-compliant version of FCA's 2.0-litre Multijet II diesel engine.

Quote:
The BS6 version of the engine will be rolled out on other versions of the Compass over the years and will also find its way under the hood of the Tata Harrier, which uses the same motor.
Tata Harrier : Official Review-1.jpg

Quote:
Sources have confirmed that work is underway on fine-tuning the engine for both SUVs. Images also show test mules of the Tata and Jeep SUVs together, albeit in different states of camouflage.
Quote:
while the power output of the BS6-compliant Compass will be in the vicinity of the current model's 173hp figure, the Harrier is set to see a big jump from the present 140hp. The engine will make a higher 170hp or so on the Tata Harrier, as well as on its seven-seat version, the Tata Buzzard, which will go on sale in 2020. Diesel engines aside, the Jeep and Tata SUVs will continue to share the 6-speed manual gearbox from FCA. However, the two SUV makers will have their own solutions for automatic gearboxes.
Quote:
Tata’s smallest diesel, the 1.05-litre three-cylinder Revotorq on the Tigor and Tiago, will be axed.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th May 2019 at 07:43.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 09:30   #143
BHPian

Quote:
the Harrier is set to see a big jump from the present 140hp. The engine will make a higher 170hp or so on the Tata Harrier, as well as on its seven-seat version, the Tata Buzzard, which will go on sale in 2020
While the seven seater Buzzad will certainly get the 170 bhp derivative of the engine, Harrier getting the same 170 bhp tune in its current line-up of the variants does not seem likely. Possible reasons:

1. Product differentiation and price overlap
2. Initial set of owners will feel cheated and shortchanged very early into the product life cycle

May be ACI's version is true for any upcoming variant(s) of Harrier equipped with AT and/or AWD.
beast_within is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 15:18   #144

While I have taken test ride of Harrier twice, both the vehicles were Jan production. So overall fit and finish was the last thing to be checked in my checklist. Found fit and finish to be ok.

I am yet to be convinced from real time usage about:

-Steering behavior at highway speeds (At normal speeds, this steering is very light and proves ease of maneuver in traffic)
- Body roll (with slight turn of steering, it was big sideways movement for the rear passenger)
- I could easily observe the type of road the vehicle was driven. (cement road could be felt easily). The Sales person confirmed tyres are inflated to defined pressure.
- If I adjusted the driver seat to high position to get more commanding view, this reduces ingress and egress space for the driver. I had to bend my neck to get into vehicle. However, with some efforts, I could get optimum seating position and enough space to get in and out of vehicle.
- ORVM are huge, I and my friend were able to seamlessly turn vehicle right side without much hindrance. Ghat sections or busy streets would be real check.

Some general observations: Vehicle has got nice road presence, handling is easy. When I was driving in rough terrain mode, my friend sitting on rear seat felt comfortable compared to normal driving mode. Sales person was not able to answer this phenomena. Usage of smooth or finished plastic would have taken cabin experience better.

As of now, finger crossed, observing owners feedback and TML response, corrective and preventive actions to issues identified by real time users.
saurabh_001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 22:57   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Different maps because both have same torque. The harrier makes less peak power and it's power curve peaks towards lower RPM's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Engine is tuned considering some factors such as Vehicle weight, gear box, vehicle dynamics, area of applications/ target customers , emissions, fuel efficiency etc. to name a few.

So while on paper the peak bhp looks good, but one would hardly rev engine to 3700 rpms to extract the peak power in normal driving conditions. So the focus is to make engine more driveable in the RPM band of 1400 to 2800 rpms where it would spend most of its life time by most of the users.
The explanations in reply are more technical details of "HOW" there is a power difference with same engine.

The answer to di1in's "WHY" is obviously commercial.
1. FCA might well have asked for that to be done to balance the Compass' premium pricing against a competitively priced Harrier which has a "customer" FCA engine.
2. How would Tata position the Buzzard/Cassini/H7X/New Safari "above" the Harrier if both made same power from word go? Just by saying it takes 2 more people? Segment distinction needs to happen.

Why go this far. 2 simpler examples -
1. Mahindra - mHAWK 2.2 CRDe makes 120 & 140 PS depending on trims of Scorpio & XUV500 that its installed in.

2. Tata's 2.2DiCOR/VARICOR makes 120/140/150 PS depending on whether it was in the SUMO GRANDE MK2, Safari, Safari Storme, Storme/Hexa VARICOR400.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 14:17   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I used to wonder when someone says ‘handrest is useless in the car’. I never used handrest while driving.
I have been quite vocal about the unusable armrest. If there is a provision, then it should be well designed and usable.

Secondly, it is not practical to have the 10:10 position all the time. Especially when you are doing cross country drives on straight roads.
ihrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 16:32   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Buzzard SUV spotted testing again,

Tata Harrier : Official Review-2.jpg

Tata Harrier : Official Review-3.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 20:09   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Secondly, it is not practical to have the 10:10 position all the time. Especially when you are doing cross country drives on straight roads.
I agree to that. Kerala is blessed with very less boring (read straight) roads, hence I don’t encounter this issue. May be because of my habit of keeping hands at 3’O clock and 9’O clock position even on a straight highway, I am completely a stranger to the use of handrest while driving.

Note: my friend who is in Australia used to say it is very difficult to be awake while driving as the roads are just boring straights.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 20:48   #149
BHPian

Have been seeing this advertisement in my phone for past one week. Has anyone been getting the same?

I have pixelated the original image since posting adverts is not allowed ( which is a good thing ), I only want to showcase that now firms have recognised the Harrier's good presence and some of them have even started advertising their products using the same, ofcourse with the logo removed, as shown below.

I have a feeling the Hyundai Venue will also become popular with advertisers, since it also looks nothing like anything in the segment.

Mods, if the picture still classifies as an advert, I can crop such that only harrier without logo is visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Harrier : Official Review-1274736182546253416-1_20190529204246609.jpg  

Old 31st May 2019, 21:54   #150
BHPian

Tata Harrier Modification

I have been wanting to perform this one particular mod on the Harrier but I'm quite not sure about its feasibility and wanted to quickly check if there are other folks thinking on same lines.

I find the brake lamps on this vehicle to be really small and quite not well thought of. I was wondering if there is any possible way to swap the longer combination tail lamps (Works only when headlamps are on) to work as the brake lamps, or possibly both. Has anyone on the forum got a chance to check how the tail lamp pair looks disassembled?

Here's a quick pic for your reference:
Tata Harrier : Official Review-tl.jpg
soji is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks