Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2019, 20:10   #91
BHPian

Re: Maruti WagonR : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Congratulations.

Do get the tyre pressure checked. Dealers are known to overinflate the tyres. I see you've got the smart dock also. Can you share it's details?
I will check the tire pressure tomorrow.Thank you!!

Allow me to gush over maruti's forethought for a second. What a nice touch by Maruti .

It is very simple. It is a glorified phone cradle that slots into a hole on top of the music system. It is a push twist and it locks type of system. The hole in the music system has some kind of a spring that pushes against the stem of the holder to keep it snug. There is nothing much to it. It is a glorified phone holder. Aparently one can download some kind of an app and make your phone do all sorts of things. But honestly, I just wanted a phone stand where I can see who is calling me without having to pick up the phone.

Last edited by rrnsss : 6th November 2019 at 20:14.
rrnsss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 10:02   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Brought home my replacement Wagon R. It is a 1.2 vxi(o) AGS. Drove a total of 10 km back home.
Congratulations!!
Indeed the ethos you mentioned sums up the WagonR. It gets everything right & hardly anything wrong. A very practical daily car. And thus it rules its segment for a decade now.

I'm a bit amused by Maruti's decision to skimp on a tachometer in a 1.2L AMT VXi WagonR. Looks especially lame considering an AltoK10 VXi gets it. What are they thinking...
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 10:47   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Taking this point from official review, I saw a yellow board new Wagon R in my apartment complex. While it was very much expected that people will end up buying them and change it to yellow board, I was surprised when I had a chat with him. He said that he bought it as a Yellow board from showroom itself. This means he got a car with 80km/hr speed limit setup done by MSIL itself. He went on to add that this ensured his warranty won't get void(MSIL is usually very adamant that owner loses warranty if speed limit is setup from outside). It was a VXI variant and he said it cost him 6.2 On road. Not bad!
Why will a cabbie pick up Vxi? Most taxis here are CNG and yes, even I have spotted a few new WagonR CNG cabs, but its not sold commonly to public, otherwise my aunt would have got that instead of her Celerio and Dzire tour. It could be a case of special exception or at dealer's discretion. IMHO, the speed limiters are inbuilt - case in point the Celerio tour / Dzire tour have it but not the regular cars. Same case for Innova, the ones sold as commercial have a separate vehicle code.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 22:27   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

I'm a bit amused by Maruti's decision to skimp on a tachometer in a 1.2L AMT VXi WagonR. Looks especially lame considering an AltoK10 VXi gets it. What are they thinking...
Who cares! It is an AMT. Let the computer decide what rpm and what shifting point. I am happy to have a simple uncluttered speedometer console.
Old 7th November 2019, 23:05   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Who cares! It is an AMT. Let the computer decide what rpm and what shifting point. I am happy to have a simple uncluttered speedometer console.
True. One advise. There are going to be times ahead where you'll curse and hate AMT and shift to manual mode. The tacho is fun to us them. Personal experience with my second car .
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 06:34   #96
BHPian

Yesterday, I got bixenon foglamps, roots windtone horn, seat cover, floor mat and sunfilm unstalled on my car. Only pending work is reverse camera with front DVR.

MOST importantly, I shut the air intake of the AC system from outside to prevent rats from entering.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ac-intake.html
rrnsss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 06:44   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, I got bixenon foglamps, roots windtone horn, seat cover, floor mat and sunfilm unstalled on my car. Only pending work is reverse camera with front DVR.
Good set of works done. I hope you are documenting them all in your ownership review. Do share pictures please.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 17:49   #98
BHPian

Took a 570 km road trip yesterday. Chennai/mayiladuthurai/chennai. Here are my observations.

Negatives
-----------------

1. A lot of road noise iinside the cabin as compared to most other cars I have owned (except my 4x4 s)

2. The suspension is very soft and causes suspension to bottom out when hitting them at high speeds above 70 kmph. Especially in Chidambaram, mayiladuthurai, panuruti roads.

3. The car becomes a bit jittery and wavering at about 120 kmph.

4. The AGT gear lever accidentally slipped from D to N when my hand accidentally hit it when I was fumbling around in the coin console while driving. This was unnerving. Wish they gave a shifter lock button.

5. Speedometer is inaccurate. Overreports the speed by a good 5 kmph at higher speeds.

Positives
---------------

1. The car has very stable handling till 120 kmph and can cruise all day at 100kmph and can take highway turns at 80kmph.

2. The brakes are very progressive and effective and reassuring.

3. The soft suspension setup makes the travel very comfortable.

4. The AGS works very well even under hard acceleration and overtaking manoeuvre s. Don't expect it to match a manual, but it is not a dud either.

5. The engine is powerful and frugal. Returned an average of 19.7 kmpl in total driving 70% highway and 30% town traffic with AC on all the time.

6. The car tries to behave like a grownup car despite loosing the plot at higher speeds. It is an admirable effort. Auto dimming cabin lights, speed sensitive volume, lane change flasher function are good additions too. AC is adequate too.

7. The HID projector foglamps are AWESOME!!! The fog lamp and the headlight combined togther lays down a continuous carpet of light, which makes night driving much safer. All my future cars will get these lamps. No doubt in my mind.

Attached Thumbnails
Maruti WagonR : Official Review-img20191110wa0000.jpg  

Maruti WagonR : Official Review-img20191110wa0001.jpg  

Maruti WagonR : Official Review-img20191110wa0003.jpg  

Last edited by rrnsss : 10th November 2019 at 17:52.
rrnsss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 20:40   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Took a 570 km road trip yesterday. Chennai/mayiladuthurai/chennai. Here are my observations.

Negatives
-----------------

1. A lot of road noise iinside the cabin as compared to most other cars I have owned (except my 4x4 s)
Previous generation Wagon R had same issue. Someone talking outside would make me think that a window is open.

Quote:
2. The suspension is very soft and causes suspension to bottom out when hitting them at high speeds above 70 kmph. Especially in Chidambaram, mayiladuthurai, panuruti roads.
Similarly for the suspension too. Wagon R would bottom out at places where our Santro with more load could go.

Quote:
My suggestion is to stick to 2 digit speeds only.

Quote:
5. Speedometer is inaccurate. Overreports the speed by a good 5 kmph at higher speeds.
Maybe because of this order by government.

Speed (Speedometer calibration: Government says that vehicle should overstate speed)

Quote:
Positives
---------------

1. The car has very stable handling till 120 kmph and can cruise all day at 100kmph and can take highway turns at 80kmph.
Don't feel offended but DO NOT take turns at 80kmph. It's not safe to do such things in a tall boy design.

Quote:
7. The HID projector foglamps are AWESOME!!! The fog lamp and the headlight combined togther lays down a continuous carpet of light, which makes night driving much safer. All my future cars will get these lamps. No doubt in my mind.
Yes. They are definitely good. But with the video and snaps you've shared, I feel they need some alignment.
BoneCollector is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 10:16   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can't expect noise insulation in a <6L car anymore on our streets. Especially those with high ARAI certified mileage numbers. Times...
Quote:
Has been a WagonR characteristic & that of all the tall boys who aren't exactly aerodynamic marvels. They aren't to be taken to these speeds anyway. So its okay.
Quote:
4. The AGT gear lever accidentally slipped from D to N when my hand accidentally hit it when I was fumbling around in the coin console while driving. This was unnerving. Wish they gave a shifter lock button.
But unless you were stationary / brake pedal was properly pressed - the gear won't change into N. It would remain in gear. So that's easy to get used to. The lever also tends to move to "M" at the slightest of touches. These are unnerving in the early days but totally harmless. Within a couple of weeks you'll get totally used to it & won't make a difference. My 1st hand experience with a very similar unit in my Alto.
Quote:
That's in ALL cars all over the world since decades. Its by design.
Quote:
Positives
Yes - 3" HID projector fog-lights should really be the 1st accessory anyone adds on his/her car IMO. Even before those seat covers and window shades! Its a huge safety improvement & surely adds to our survival probability on the hostile roads. Good that you had them done immediately.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 11:21   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, better to get wider tyres for sure. The stock ones are too thin for safe highway rides IMO.
Quote:
I suggest you go to 175/65R14. That should be good enough for the WagonR. But overall diameter will reduce a bit and you might feel the car looks under-tyred.

In that case, the next option would be 195/60R14. Really meaty ones. Will be a good upgrade & not a huge load to drive considering the K12 is anyway very powerful for the car.
Careful with what you recommend to people as most would value and respect your "Distinguised BHPian" tag

When tyres/wheels are upsized it will always result in an increase in stopping distance as the built-up inertia is more for a heavier/broader wheel. Gone are days when people prided in statements like my car/bike does 0~100 in 8 seconds .. blah blah; what really matters today is how quickly can you stop 100~0. Just look at the accidents that happen everyday on expressways - very few are front-end collisions, most are rear end crashes because people could not stop in time !!

The manufacturer has equipped the car with adequate rubber for a safe drive at 80 kmph which is the legal speed limit in India. Wagon-R is not a car to be driven above 80 kmph at full load (or max 100 with lesser load). Anything above 100 kmph for the tall Wagon-R is simply unsafe and outright risky. People upsize their wheels and assume that they have made their ride safer, unfortunately they have done the exact opposite.

Here's the link to the pros and cons of upsizing wheels
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4658748 (Maruti WagonR : Official Review)

Also, upsizing can void your car's extended warranty and can lead to denial of Insurance claims in an event of misfortune.
Chewbacca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 11:45   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But unless you were stationary / brake pedal was properly pressed - the gear won't change into N. It would remain in gear. So that's easy to get used to. The lever also tends to move to "M" at the slightest of touches.
There is no requirement for brake pedal to be pressed when you switch from gear to neutral. Also not required to press the brake when you move from neutral to gear when the vehicle is at speed.

Quote:
In that case, the next option would be 195/60R14. Really meaty ones. Will be a good upgrade & not a huge load to drive considering the K12 is anyway very powerful for the car.
Again, I might be nitpicking. But 195 or even 175 wont fit on the stock rims. 175 will be pinched in and 195 will just not mount. The rim also has to be upgraded due to the width, and second, are there even options in 195 section in 14 inchers?

Last edited by audioholic : 18th November 2019 at 11:50.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 11:59   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Again, I might be nitpicking. But 195 or even 175 wont fit on the stock rims. 175 will be pinched in and 195 will just not mount. The rim also has to be upgraded due to the width, and second, are there even options in 195 section in 14 inchers?
I still feel 165 remains the better bet considering the stock rim and the diameter (options in 14").

Also, none of the generations of WagonRs produced till now have had an accommodative wheel well that even aftermarket alloys of wider width (5J or more) would fit in right without rubbing the wheel arches on full load unless you get a set of alloys with minimal offset from stock spec rims.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:00   #104
BHPian

Quote:
But 195 or even 175 wont fit on the stock rims. 175 will be pinched in and 195 will just not mount. The rim also has to be upgraded due to the width
Absolutely!!
Rim has to be upgraded from the stock 5J to 5.5J (and adds weight too)
This is a big no no to prevent voiding the warranty and is specifically mentioned in the owner's manual
Old 18th November 2019, 12:00   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no requirement for brake pedal to be pressed when you switch from gear to neutral. Also not required to press the brake when you move from neutral to gear when the vehicle is at speed.
That's how it is in my Alto K10 with AMT! Then Maruti has implemented the software in different ways in different cars over time. If the gear stick is moved (except between M & D) without brake pressed - it makes a beep-beep-beep-beep & shows alert in the little MID. No actual change in transmission. In the Alto i.e.
Quote:
Yes - 195 would need a wider rim. 175 should fit I think.
And yes - 195/60R14 is very much available. Its quite popular in previous Polo/Punto era cars that used to come with 14" wheels. Continental CC5 is one of the favourites in this spec.

Most Viewed