Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 17:00   #46

Re: Maruti S-Presso : Official Review

Any of the owners can give a general view abot the car. Am planning one for my wife post the pandemic. Manual vxi+ hopefully the grey color. Any kinds of views by actual owners / riders will be highly appreciated.
Old 18th April 2020, 19:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonewolf View Post
Any of the owners can give a general view abot the car. Am planning one for my wife post the pandemic. Manual vxi+ hopefully the grey color. Any kinds of views by actual owners / riders will be highly appreciated.
I'm in the same boat. I was looking for a school run car for my wife. Priority was an economical AMT in the budget end of the spectrum.
Have chosen the SPresso VXi + AGS because the value proposition is simply hard to ignore.

With this car, we loved everything about it. Looks are the only aspect which is polarising. They say 50percent love it and 50percent hate it. In my case that ratio is maintained with my wife loving it and I... (having no choice but to love it)

Took a test drive with my wife driving it. She felt instantly comfortable with the high seating and visibility.

Sweet engine and good feature list in this budget make it a perfect choice for a compact car for city runabouts.

Also considered the Renault kwid and hyundai i10 NIOS, the Spresso was both spacious and practical and hence chose it.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 22:31   #48

Vignesh ji . Thanks for the reply. Am buying it for the same reason. Wife dropping kids to school. Please help me with some more tips. Did your wife drive manual before this? Is she comfortable with AMT? Which accessories did u take? Have planned to get underbody, and reverse camera fitted by them. Plan to get seat covers after some time. I have zero interest in external looks of a vehicle and I or wife will be in the car. How is the real-life FE?
Old 19th April 2020, 11:05   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonewolf View Post
Vignesh ji . Thanks for the reply. Am buying it for the same reason. Wife dropping kids to school. Please help me with some more tips. Did your wife drive manual before this? Is she comfortable with AMT? Which accessories did u take? Have planned to get underbody, and reverse camera fitted by them. Plan to get seat covers after some time. I have zero interest in external looks of a vehicle and I or wife will be in the car. How is the real-life FE?
My wife drove a Figo Manual before this and this would be her first auto (AMT)

My safari is intimidating for her to drive and the steering and clutch are a bit too truck like for her to be comfortable so the requirement of a nimble flick around AMT as a second car. We would pick up the car after corona tide passes over.

She got used to 'not changing gears' within first five minutes of test drive. But I admit, it was not intuitive for her at the start. The dead pedal helped to give phantom clutch pushes till she gets uses to it. But in the long run AMT is indeed more convenient.

Don't want to spend too much on this so I plan to get only the rear view camera and probably the dial cladding in body colour (red) around the ICE screen to give some colour pop to the interiors. That's it.

Real life FE should be good on the K10 engine pushing a light body. But for my use case (and yours too) it shouldn't be much of a worry as the running is low. So I reckon it would be fill it. shut it. forget it.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 16:48   #50
BHPian

What MS should have done about this is that they could have used a flat bench 25:75 split adjustment front seat with a column-shift gear lever like they have in a few kei cars in Japan like the MR wagon etc.

With that 6 seater orientation, targetting semi urban and rural areas would have been easier as this would have provided a cheaper alternative to the Bolero etc. It’s certainly less crude, cheaper to maintain and easier to drive than most UV’s. Also, it has much more ground clearance to it than it’s elder sibling, the EECO. So it would have really have appealed to those who cannot afford the Bolero.
dr.aviansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 19:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
Also, it has much more ground clearance to it than it’s elder sibling, the EECO.
Eeco is Rear Wheel Drive and S-Presso is Front Wheel Drive. For rear wheel drive vehicles, the ground clearance is measured differently (up to the rear differential, IIRC), and hence even though it is just 160mm, it is actually more than the FWD S-Presso's 180mm in theory as well as in person. Experts may correct me if anything is wrong here!

Being from a Medical background myself, my knowledge may also not be as good as Dr. Aviansh's.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 26th April 2020 at 19:53.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 22:15   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Eeco is Rear Wheel Drive and S-Presso is Front Wheel Drive. For rear wheel drive vehicles, the ground clearance is measured differently (up to the rear differential, IIRC), and hence even though it is just 160mm, it is actually more than the FWD S-Presso's 180mm in theory as well as in person. Experts may correct me if anything is wrong here!
No your knowledge is good! It is indeed because of the rear differential. So as I said, Maruti could have created a new niche by launching a 6 seater, high ground clearance SUV’ish hatchback.

Last edited by ampere : 26th April 2020 at 23:07.
dr.aviansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 15:35   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
No your knowledge is good! It is indeed because of the rear differential. So as I said, Maruti could have created a new niche by launching a 6 seater, high ground clearance SUV’ish hatchback.
3 people upfront in a car this narrow? 2 sit barely in it right now. Also - the car is lightweight on build - I agree that it is not tested and GNCAP and so may well be the strongest car out on the road right now. However - in the possibility that it is weak & fairs poorly in a crash - I'd rather have it with the minimal number of occupants. We should be giving more importance to the number of safe people over Maruti getting another business USP . For a people carrier, the Eeco itself sells quite well in the urban as well as rural areas. It has more space & a more practical engine too. I don't think people would buy an Spresso over it.
Old 6th May 2020, 15:12   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Kerala-based Indus Motors Maruti Suzuki has opened its outlets adhering to the government’s COVID-19 safety guideline'

Maruti S-Presso delivered to owner as select dealers start operations

Maruti S-Presso : Official Review-marutispressodeliverystartlockdownindiacorona.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 14:05   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big fan of small + chuckable cars here . In the recent past - within the city - the most fun I've had has been with the ugly S-Presso and its lovely engine + gearbox + small footprint.

Could there be any heavier praise for this car?

Now I'm seriously considering getting this for my next car. Its between this, ignis and the Swift. NA Engine + gearbox is above all else to me.
Old 7th May 2020, 14:20   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Could there be any heavier praise for this car?
Now I'm seriously considering getting this for my next car. Its between this, ignis and the Swift. NA Engine + gearbox is above all else to me.
Since you like the SPresso - you have a liberal view about "looks" (and thats a good thing!). Since your comparison talks SPresso-Ignis-Swift - it seems you can afford them and budget isn't the primary driver.

Between these 3, I'd pick the Ignis. The K12 is a huge leap ahead over the K10. Its immediately felt at low end delivery as well as on high end delivery + refinement. Its worth the price margin. And then Ignis also brings more comfort features and quality over the Spresso in general. My 2 cents.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 14:54   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Between these 3, I'd pick the Ignis. The K12 is a huge leap ahead over the K10.
Our Wagon R is over 8 years old. It needs service and some part replacements but is going on as our city car. I hate it's K10 engine for the pain of driving in city. While discussing it's replacement with Dad, we have kept in our mind the new Wagon R with K12 engine, the S-Presso and the Ignis. Dad is very keen on S-Presso considering its size as it's perfect for our city. I was more interested in the new Wagon R but then I always liked the Ignis and am more inclined to it for 1 major reason, it's has the Suzuki TECT architecture and new Wagon R is based on the Heartect platform which is not that confidence inspiring. Our plans have been put on hold for another year due to the COVID19 situation. Let's see how things pan out.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 09:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Maruti S-Presso CNG Production Begins, Launch Expected Soon.

Maruti S-Presso : Official Review-smartselect_20200524094757_chrome.jpg

The S-Presso S-CNG will likely be offered in four different variants namely LXi, LXi (O), VXi and VXi (O) upon arrival. It is equipped with the same 1.0-litre three-cylinder naturally-aspirated petrol engine kicking out 67 horsepower and 90 Nm of peak torque in the regular variant. Under CNG specification, the power and torque produced are lesser at 58 horsepower and 78 Nm.The powertrain is paired with a standard five-speed manual transmission only.

Maruti S-Presso : Official Review-smartselect_20200524094748_chrome.jpg

https://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-s-pres...expected-soon/
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 00:02   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Other Points

...• S-Presso is the first small car conceptualised by the Indian R&D unit, with design and engineering from Rohtak, Haryana along with support from Suzuki Japan.

Explains why it looks and behaves more like a Mahindra than a Suzuki. Although really liked the looks and was thinking about it as my next vehicle, I will stay away from this one. The handling and steering are deal breakers for me. But the mango man will be more than happy lap it up. Thanks for the review.
Old 21st June 2020, 08:37   #60

GUYS i finally brought the S-presso VXi+, grey one. I got it from Hercules, Kowdiar Trivandrum at a good discount (close to 25K with some accessories like steering cover, a very good one, vinyl flooring etc thrown in additionally). I even got a 500rs. petrol coupon thrown in. Not sure if it is the norm now, but its not in Bengaluru, at least not an year ago. I did not feel the need for adding the front grill chrome as this is like body color. i would have like side body cladding / beading. But did not opt for it. Its the HOME-Ministers car and she likes it plain vanilla outside and she LIKED the over all styling and poise of the car. And all of my family members feel DRL is a waste of battery.

Thanks blackwasp for such an in-depth review. When i sat in the car i felt like i already knew it so well. And when i did the first drive I did not feel at all out of place. after putting 4.5 C (I know nobody speaks of anything less than K here, but this is for city only and during may end and June 1st week all semi lock-down months) for office and shopping use, I found the car exactly as described here, Peppy fast with a nice sounding engine and all. I am slowly switching from my regular to this for my regular city run(office shopping etc). The car can go into places where many other car couldn't....(yeah that sounded like star trek), but it can get to seriously cramped places where i would dream of taking my Ertiga (or BILs Amaze or cousins Vento & Innova for that matter maybe a maruti 800). Present mileage avg is in the 16+ with AC but the MSS guys say it can surely reach 20+ in city (all with ac) easily. And this is with 2-3 people on board. The seating position is great for my spouse (5f 4in) and good for me (5 11). The viewing angles are great. The ac is fine. I dont feel any complaints about the back seating or under thigh support. its great for a small car. but dont compare it to Amaze or Ertiga. It is still far better than OLD alto or the alto 800. The boot space is well done. The inner plastic looks tough. the parcel tray though is not good, its of the thickness of a plastic bucket. The wheels (and wheel arch) may look odd in other colors but in grey they dont seem to stand out. Music system is really good. Speakers top. Android auto works seamlessly. Cant say that for some of the other manufacturers system which takes more than a minute to boot into android auto.

Some things to note. I wanted a back camera factory / dealer fitted which they did not have. I wanted one which will not require cutting of wires etc. I finally opted for an auto-car one. They provide a three meter good wiring and an avg camera which is okay if you just want a rear camera (not a Reverse Camera). I can see what is behind, but not whether the car can go through or not.

My family other than (me) hates leather (or PUC smell) which they can smell through any other smell. Therefore I did not go for leather/ PUC seats as i had in my other car. I dont like fabric cover. So I went for Amazon seat cover and they are pretty good for anyone with an allergy to leather / PUC. And look wise, like the car, it is horses for courses, or Form over looks. It has neutral smell and sits smugly over seats.

Other than these factors the car is excellent and a great city slave. I did not wait for the CNG as with that fitted the car looses one of its biggest ESP (boot space).
thelonewolf is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks