Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2021, 14:54   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Is it like you have 2 separate horns and you switch between them? Why?
Why?

One would be like the company OEM horn which you can use in urban areas or residential areas, while the other would be a windtone type which you can use in the open highways, rural areas.

Me didn't like it either. We had decided to give our WagonR to the authorised service centre, so that installing the aftermarket horn wouldn't void warranty. (Late 2000s)
Imagine my horror when they put this black switch!!! The damage was already done, but I did learn to appreciate the control I had over the horn tone, and also be considerate regarding the surroundings.
Old 29th November 2021, 16:06   #122

For all those who point to the bad "0" rating, please remember the ratings are for base model. As you go for the top model, all other safety features are there. Its not like the car is structurally bad or something. Its just the way the ratings are done. It would have been better if they had a rating for each model separately.

Remember, this is a city car. I am using it for the past year (I got the top model (manual) for 478 in Trivandrum.) I have Ertiga and santro. I have also driven Zen, Accord, Vento, Amaze to name few. All my friends feel sitting in this car, getting in and out is a breeze.

It is a great family city car (family of 4) even if all are 6 feet (around). Sure, its no high class car. But its comfortable and smooth and can zip through the city. Plus the good mileage and cost.

The biggest issue I have faced is the AC gets cold very fast or that the horn is too low.
thelonewolf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 16:42   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonewolf View Post
For all those who point to the bad "0" rating, please remember the ratings are for base model. As you go for the top model, all other safety features are there. Its not like the car is structurally bad or something. Its just the way the ratings are done. It would have been better if they had a rating for each model separately.

Understand you like the car and that's perfectly fine, but the highlighted part of the comment is unfortunately incorrect. The higher end variants get a passenger airbag over and above the base and nothing else to improve its crash worthiness. Read up this amazing thread - Link (Global NCAP crash tests | Broken down & explained) to understand in detail how these ratings are given.

I have an Alto at home and I have no illusions that I am driving a safe car when I'm in that and this is very important when one makes the choice of car to buy.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:40   #124
BHPian

We installed a reverse cam at the dealer at the time of purchase on our S-Presso. However, from time to time, when we slot the gear into reverse, we get a blue screen instead of the cam feed.

Not sure what's triggering this and what causes it to return to normal.

Has anyone else seen this?
Old 24th December 2021, 01:17   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Understand you like the car and that's perfectly fine, but the highlighted part of the comment is unfortunately incorrect. The higher end variants get a passenger airbag over and above the base and nothing else to improve its crash worthiness.
Nope. Not only Vxi (O) has two airbags, It also has seatbelt pre-tensioner and load limiters. Which will improve the protection of the driver/passenger's neck and chest.

Both of these safety features are missing from the base model. The reason why S-Presso scored 0 stars is, the driver's chest and the passenger's neck were red (poor protection) and did not meet the requirements for airbags.

The Head, neck, and chest are considered critical and important regions in the Global ncap protocol.

Example: When Global ncap tested Kwid with one airbag version, it got 0 stars, then they tested 2 airbag version with seatbelt pre-tensioner and load limiters in 2020 and it got 2 stars.

Definitely, Vxi (O) variant will perform better in crash tests maybe it will score 2. BTW Kwid tested 4 times and scored 2 stars on the last test.

Last edited by Vignesh Vee : 24th December 2021 at 01:19.
Old 24th December 2021, 10:03   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh Vee View Post
Nope. Not only Vxi (O) has two airbags, It also has seatbelt pre-tensioner and load limiters. Which will improve the protection of the driver/passenger's neck and chest.

Both of these safety features are missing from the base model. The reason why S-Presso scored 0 stars is, the driver's chest and the passenger's neck were red (poor protection) and did not meet the requirements for airbags.

The Head, neck, and chest are considered critical and important regions in the Global ncap protocol.

Example: When Global ncap tested Kwid with one airbag version, it got 0 stars, then they tested 2 airbag version with seatbelt pre-tensioner and load limiters in 2020 and it got 2 stars.

Definitely, Vxi (O) variant will perform better in crash tests maybe it will score 2. BTW Kwid tested 4 times and scored 2 stars on the last test.
Yeah, you are right to some extent. But both santro and wagon r base variant were tested which were also lacking passenger airbag and both side seat belt pretensioners and load limiters and both managed atleast Weak driver chest protection(spresso scored poor) and passenger neck rating was Good in case of Santro and adequate in case of Wagon r.
IMO poor neck and chest ratings of Spresso may be linked with dashboard design or less distance between steering wheel and dummy/passenger.
Old 24th December 2021, 10:49   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Understand you like the car and that's perfectly fine, but the highlighted part of the comment is unfortunately incorrect. The higher end variants get a passenger airbag over and above the base and nothing else to improve its crash worthiness. Read up this amazing thread - Link (Global NCAP crash tests | Broken down & explained) to understand in detail how these ratings are given.
Actually, in the case of the S-Presso better front passenger restraints (an optional passenger airbag, for example) could potentially improve the neck score (which crossed capping limits). Problem is, the driver's chest also has a 1-star cap applied to it (thanks to weak (but not poor) dummy readings combined with an unstable passenger compartment) so unless the driver chest score is improved, it won't be possible for the S-Presso to score more than one adult star. Improving the driver chest score to avoid the 1-star cap could be achieved by making standard its optional belt tensioners+load limiters, or by sponsoring a test on a variant fitted with these as optional. With optional equipment it would be impossible to say how the S-Presso would perform.

Regardless of the fact that the performance of the optional equipment is not verified I would strongly urge buyers to consider purchasing a trim level fitted with optional double front airbags and PTFL seatbelts.

The only way to know how they would perform is if Maruti Suzuki sponsored a test on a variant with the optional equipment, but I don't personally think that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh Vee View Post
Definitely, VXi (O) variant will perform better in crash tests maybe it will score 2.
I'm sorry but it's impossible to say without a test. Unless you have access to some internal Maruti crash test data that some of us don't?

Last edited by ron178 : 24th December 2021 at 11:02. Reason: typo
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 12:45   #128
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

One question.

The DRL LED lights fitted as OEM accessory from showroom has a very irritating way to switch it on. We have to press the button multiple times or a long press where the light will flash thrice before staying on. Dont know why they call is DRL in the first place, as a true DRL is an auto-on kind of light. Also the light switches off when head lights are switched on.
What i want to know is can we have one press switch on / off for this light, AND also have this light on as aux lights when the headlight is on?

Also, any recommended place in Bangalore (prefebly around HSR area) where i can get it modified.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 28th December 2021 at 12:47.
Old 28th December 2021, 13:20   #129
BHPian

I am one of the people of this forum who has recently (31-Oct-2021) booked S-Presso VXi+ AGS which is top most variant and has 2 air bags. We are on a strict budget owing to being first car and we are new drivers and it is a city only car. I was very well aware about the 0 Star rating before buying but still went ahead due to cost and what it offered in that. We are a family of 4 (2 kids under 10) and for us we feel it is good option and also as some people mentioned, ingress is great due to tall stance.

I intend to get reverse camera fitted but not from MGA as they are too expensive at 5K and they don't even have those guidelines (I am not expecting dynamic guidelines, just need static ones). I was told by accessory shop that it is plug and play camera so it won't void warranty. Would appreciate if someone has any differing opinion.

The LED DRLs too I feel are very expensive at MGA at 10K. Out side I was never quoted more than 2.5K and there are more fancier ones with link to turn indicators which may be little more may be or same price. I had enquired at few accessory shops in my area in anticipation of getting car delivered in mid Dec 2021 but it is delayed and I am sure S-Presso may not be a priority for maruti due to be being cheaper model.
Old 28th December 2021, 14:00   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
One question.

The DRL LED lights fitted as OEM accessory from showroom has a very irritating way to switch it on.
You are correct that they're not actual DRLs but stupid fancy lights. They don't work the way a DRL should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post

The LED DRLs too I feel are very expensive at MGA at 10K. Out side I was never quoted more than 2.5K and there are more fancier ones with link to turn indicators .
Maruti used to sell Philips LED DRLs as an accessory for Alto. It used to cost around 3600 or 3900, I don't remember the exact price now. It had 2 LEDs with mounting brackets and a control module. They've been working flawlessly in my car for last 4+ years. The same could have been used as an accessory for the S-Presso. At times, I really wonder what Maruti thinks.

Maruti S-Presso : Official Review-screenshot_20211228134150__01.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 12:26   #131
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I intend to get reverse camera fitted but not from MGA as they are too expensive at 5K and they don't even have those guidelines (I am not expecting dynamic guidelines, just need static ones). I was told by accessory shop that it is plug and play camera so it won't void warranty. Would appreciate if someone has any differing opinion.
We got the reverse camera fitted from showroom. Its connected to the main screen but the quality of camera visual is pathetic. Can hardly make out anything. Also, like you said, there are not guidelines as well. Best avoidable from showroom and can get it done outside at much cheaper cost.
We even got the LED DRLs and they are too expensive and their switching on and off is a pain. Looking to get that modified. Also need to change the horn to something more powerful. The stock horn is very very meek.
Old 30th December 2021, 23:50   #132
BHPian

Today I test drove s presso and found engine noise too much intrusive in passenger cabin. In comparison my fathers ignis engine is pin drop silent inside. Is s presso engine really that much noisy inside car or the test drive car was in poor state of tune?? Owners please share your experience..
Old 31st December 2021, 00:17   #133
BANNED

A very good review. Covering all the aspects of the vehicle. My friend was intending to buy this car, but due to narrow width and more height of the car he was fearing that high speed turns will be dangerous. He increased his budget now, intending to buy ignis or nios
Old 31st December 2021, 00:38   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Today I test drove s presso and found engine noise too much intrusive in passenger cabin. Is s presso engine really that much noisy inside car or the test drive car was in poor state of tune??
While I don't own S-Presso, what I heard is its a 3-cylinder engine. Hence, its refinement levels will always be slightly inferior to that of 4-cylinder engines from Ignis etc.
Also, insulation is poor in S-Presso. That's why you are hearing the noise.
In comparison, the new Celerio has K10-C engine which is slightly more refined as the noise & vibrations are not that intrusive as you'll experience in S-Presso.

You can confirm from S-Presso owners. Also, would suggest you to test-drive this car from another dealership.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 31st December 2021 at 00:39.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 11:15   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Today I test drove s presso and found engine noise too much intrusive in passenger cabin. In comparison my fathers ignis engine is pin drop silent inside. Is s presso engine really that much noisy inside car or the test drive car was in poor state of tune?? Owners please share your experience..
The observation is correct. The spresso is relatively noisier compared to the silky smooth K12 in ignis /swift. Engine and transmission whine is very prominent if you are coming from K12. Celerio in comparison to the spresso is much better and is way smoother in the engine and transmission noise department, but ultimatey the K12 is unbeatable refinement wise as it is a 4 cylinder one.

It's all a question of needs. Do you want an automatic car in the strict 5L budget? The only car that is there that is reasonably refined and in budget is the spresso ( I am not considering datsun and all).

If you have the budget up to 7 lakhs and can stomach the looks and a lower seat height position vis a vis spresso, then go for K12 in the ignis.

If you want something in between and the latest Maruti product, go for celerio ( although I recommend only top end, as base models look horrid on their 14 inch wheels).

Last edited by Nanolover : 1st January 2022 at 11:16.
Nanolover is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks