Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2020, 13:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Official Review

I feel one aspect which wasnt sufficiently highlighted in the review was the suspension setup. Altroz's ride and handling balance is easily the best in class. Especially the ride setup is perfect. It is silent and makes very little noise while doing its job. And some stiffiness adds to the excellent high speed stability. Forget cars like Baleno or i20, this set up betters the elder brother Nexon and probably the c segment sedans as well.

Agreed that the engine and price equation is bit off target and it needs a powerful (and refined) turbo petrol as soon as possible. But these are the problems which can be sorted in the coming months making the car more competent. Same cant be said about the compromise in the platform to save costs in the upcoming i20 (based on Santro platform) or the rather mediocre performance in the safety tests of the lightweight heartect platform. These changes cannot be altered.

Last edited by Turbokick : 17th April 2020 at 14:05.
Turbokick is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 14:22   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post

Agreed that the engine and price equation is bit off target and it needs a powerful (and refined) turbo petrol as soon as possible. But these are the problems which can be sorted in the coming months making the car more competent. Same cant be said about the compromise in the platform to save costs in the upcoming i20 (based on Santro platform) or the rather mediocre performance in the safety tests of the lightweight heartect platform. These changes cannot be altered.
Well said.
Tata has a major trump card and that is 5 star crash test rating. At the end of the day we responsible BHPians want a reasonably safe car at a reasonable price (unlike VWs which is selling decade old cars and charging a fat premium for their over hyped safe car/ German engineering image.)
Also I would like to highlight that the current gen i20 scored only 3 stars in crash test which is a as bad as Baleno's . Maybe we overlooked this aspect because i20 had better sheet metal and better interiors.

Ps: Slightly off topic but I hate the paint quality on some of the Hyundai cars on sale, as many of the reasonably new Hyundai cars I see on road have too much of Orange peel effect, visible to the naked eye.
Storm2.0 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 15:17   #48
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
After the novelty value of the styling wears off, owners will start digging deeper into the aggregates that make up the ALTROZ and that's where she'll have to put up a very strong fight to win against its talented competition, viz; the Hyundai i20, the Maruti Baleno, the Maruti SWIFT top variants and the Honda Jazz.
And that's the ALTROZ's problem. It's a very pretty looking Mr Average.
Very well put. It's not fair to compare this to Nexon though, the hatchback segment is brutal and no matter what they do, Tata also has to deal with the perception challenge. A lot of first time buyers may want to stick to the trusted Maruti or Hyundai. I think Tata realizes this and so puts in the extra effort to make their cars look the best and also be the safest, pricing consideration may lead to the car getting an under powered engine.

It's a great effort and I hope they can get decent volumes once things start recovering post Covid.
Old 17th April 2020, 15:30   #49
BHPian

Fantastic review of a beautiful car

Few months back we were in the lookout for a second car, to be used primarily by my wife and occasionally by my father. All of us, especially my wife, were really in love with the looks of Altroz. Sadly Altroz had no automatic option so we had to give up on that even without a test drive.

off topic, Is that an Abarth Punto in the rear view camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Parking display has adaptive guidelines which move with steering input. Considering the poor rearward visibility, this & the parking sensors are very welcome. The camera quality is just average. Don't know why Tata struggles with camera quality as it should be a simple fix (new vendor or better camera!!!):

Night Raven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 16:16   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
off topic, Is that an Abarth Punto in the rear view camera?
Yes, its an Abarth Punto. And its not there by accident/chance. Its the machine of BHPian and awesome reviewer @Blackwasp.

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th April 2020 at 16:19.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 16:46   #51

Thank you for an Excellent review of Tata Altroz. As usual very comprehensive and detailed post.

But it puts me in a dilemma.
We own a Tata Tiago XZA, and we are looking or an upgrade. Tiago has never failed us,hence we want to continue with TATA. Altroz seems to be most logical
upgrade in terms of everything except the engines. The engines as described are a disappointment and are carried over from Tiago.
So should we wait for the 1.2 L turbocharged petrol that seems to be coming to Altroz, or go for Nexon which has the new 120 hp petrol which is sweet but pricey.
Looking for fellow Bhpians advice.
jerrindanny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 17:14   #52
BHPian

Fantastic review guys!. Altroz looks like a next level product (save for the petrol engine)from TATA with full 5 stars crash test rating . TATA, you are making India proud.

However there is one point about the car that i dislike and like to point out here. The rear design does not seem to gel well with front end. It looks dated. Somehow it reminds me of Robcop
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz : Official Review-maxresdefault.jpg  

CrossLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 17:19   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Is this validated for sure with Tata? The Nexon's PEPS key has a button cell inside & it dies after a whlie. Many of my friends have had to replace it after the car suddenly refused to unlock.
Quote:
This isn’t a watch or fitness band. It’s a key - like the one we saw in the Nexon! Doesn't use batteries as it's just a passive RFID device that need not be charged.
In fact, this was the explanation given to us during the Nexon drive in Cochin some years ago.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 17:21   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
In fact, this was the explanation given to us during the Nexon drive in Cochin some years ago.

Then as usual their engineering and PR/marketing teams have not met each other much.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 18:16   #55
BHPian

I have a feeling that the Altroz has the potential to look even more amazing with a proper, well designed body kit. Even though I like the rear light assembl, the part where it meets the rear bumper is a bit akward. I believe a sweet body kit and better Rims can make this car "look" like a proper hot hatch

If any of our in house designers can try their hand at making a concept Altroz hothatch during their free time during this lockdown it would be GREAT.

I'm sure there are lots of people who would love to see what a homegrown Indian hot hatch would look like.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 18:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrindanny View Post
We own a Tata Tiago XZA, and we are looking or an upgrade. Tiago has never failed us,hence we want to continue with TATA. Altroz seems to be most logical
upgrade in terms of everything except the engines. The engines as described are a disappointment and are carried over from Tiago.
So should we wait for the 1.2 L turbocharged petrol that seems to be coming to Altroz, or go for Nexon which has the new 120 hp petrol which is sweet but pricey.
Welcome to the forum @jerrindanny!

Here are the points you can think about -
  1. Replace Tiago with Current Altroz - The Altroz with same engine, may not give you a big difference in driving experience over your current car. Additionally - you'll lose out on the convenience of AMT that you currently have while paying quite a price too. So as of now - don't buy the Altroz and stick with your Tiago.
  2. Replace Tiago with new Nexon right now - If you don't mind the extra amount to pay on a Nexon right now - it is worth every penny. Its not overpriced. You'll find it a good car and a very good upgradein your garage too. So if you want a car change right now - go for the Nexon & enjoy. The 120 PS Altroz whenever it comes - will not be cheap either. It will have an overlap with Nexon trims here and there for sure. If one has a Tiago already - Nexon is the right upgrade chronologically. An Altroz from Tiago is more of a "half step sideways up".
  3. Wait with Tiago and buy 120 PS Altroz when it arrives - If you don't need the high ground clearance, like a sporty low riding car to throw around on curvy roads - you can wait for an Altroz 120 PS automatic. No idea when it is coming though, so no idea how long the wait will be either.

How old is your Tiago? Any express need to change it? You can mod and pimp it up a bit if you are starting to get bored with it .

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th April 2020 at 18:50.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 19:27   #57
BHPian

I really feel TATA still haven't gotten the ergonomics right.. They dont seem to consider tall or big folk, while designing the interiors.. It's the case in my car, and seems like with the altroz too.. :(
Old 17th April 2020, 19:27   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Welcome to the forum @jerrindanny!

Here are the points you can think about -
How old is your Tiago? Any express need to change it? You can mod and pimp it up a bit if you are starting to get bored with it .

Thank you.
We would be only looking at a automatic for our next car, and honestly we love our Tiago very much to let go that easily , though a bigger car would be more practical.
I have test driven the 2019 Nexon AMT and i am a fan of it.
We considered Altroz as there was rumor that the new engine comes with a dual clutch transmission , while the Nexon is automated manual.
We are not sure how good DCT would be , that's something we can drive and experience.
Changing the car is more in a practical aspect than bored with the car. If we decide to retain Tiago, i would definitely take your advice and mod the car.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th April 2020 at 19:32. Reason: Please do not quote the whole post as it hinders readability. Thanks.
Old 17th April 2020, 19:30   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I really feel TATA still haven't gotten the ergonomics right.. They dont seem to consider tall or big folk, while designing the interiors.. It's the case in my car, and seems like with the altroz too.
I'm 6'3" & I was able to fit absolutely fine in the car. Both - front and back. Nexon sure has room for improvement for the tall folk like us (And we can't really drive the Hexa MT ). In the Altroz - Loved the driving position. Very comfortable & confidence inspiring by Tata standards. For the first time in a Tata car, my knee didn't brush the dashboard while operating the clutch. Coupled with the excellent thick leather wrapped steering, it felt like the car was egging me on to go fast. And the engine was then saying "ehem..ehem..".

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th April 2020 at 19:40.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 20:53   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrindanny View Post
Thank you for an Excellent review of Tata Altroz. As usual very comprehensive and detailed post.

But it puts me in a dilemma.
Looking for fellow Bhpians advice.
If you don't need to upgrade right now, you could wait for a better engine as I'm not too fond of Altroz's engine. If you need to upgrade soon, IMHO you cannot go wrong with the Nexon! It's a beautiful car and very pleasurable to drive. And the latest model looks better and retains the features i miss in my older generation Nexon. And the best thing about it is the ground clearance! MBMC is on a mission to improve the roads before the congestion caused by Metro work reaches its peak. Due to this almost all roads in my area have been dug up heavily, and the Nexon absolutely shines! Where others hatchbacks and sedans hesitate, i plow over the roads fearlessly.
All in all, both the cars are amazing, just choose the correct engine and gearbox option that satisfies you and you'll know which car to pick.

Such a detailed review the likes of which can only be found on Team BHP!
I remember seeing the Altroz on the road whilst driving on the Highway. It was a white colour varient being driven by the showroom personnel. I spotted it from behind and didn't recognise it instantly. When I pulled next to it I was bowled over by its looks! The piano black on the rear on a white Altroz looks gorgeous! The whole car overall has great proportions and is the best looking car in it's segment hands down.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th April 2020 at 21:52. Reason: Mod note attached.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks