Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 17:57   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Pricey Diesel automatic and petrol DCT prices expected early next week.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-smartselect_20200918175349_twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/hormazdsorabjee/...989343232?s=19
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 18:10   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Another reason might be they might have large number of bookings for the top variants but not enough stock to cater to the demand. By postponing the price reveal they have more time to produce enough stock.

Also, the sticker price shock as fellow members have mentioned might have led to large number of booking cancellations so they are waiting once the customers perceive it to be good product they will be ready to pay the premium the company is demanding.

Just like in the case of Seltos people were ready to pay the premium for the top variants once they had experienced that the premium is worth it.
Seltos was their inaugural product and hence the delay in revealing their variants and prices was pretty understandable since they were new to the industry both from the perspective of production as well as sales. But purposely hiding the prices for Sonet's GTX+ Auto/DCT variants is absolutely hideous in my opinion. After investing huge resources in marketing and promoting primarily the GTX+ DCT/Auto trims be it the media review cars or the on-display showroom cars, they are now acting all hunky-dory by revealing and boasting the prices of the lower end trims which had absolutely zero traction from the company till yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Both top-end variants are there but prices have not been announced so that people don't start cancelling bookings for the top-end petrol and diesel due to high pricing!
In my opinion, that is a big gamble. Looking at the already escalated prices of Petrol iMT variants, the speculations would encourage people to look for alternatives. Even if the prices are more, the company needs to trust their products rather than basking on the consumer and media sentiments. They've been playing marketing game for the past month, and the price reveal was also hyped as if it was Facebook's IPO. Cent percent efforts for marketing but golden duck for the execution.
Old 18th September 2020, 18:11   #168
Senior - BHPian

Pricing seems to be okay (or good) for the HTK and HTX variants maybe, but at least the GTX+ 1.5 diesel AT is definitely going to be a 16.5L - 17.5L on-road price in Bangalore. The competing and competent Tata Nexon Diesel AMT (O) is, with all the extended warranty and AMC, etc. is 16.8L on road, Bangalore.

For now, top end Nexon XTA+ (O) diesel is not threatened, at 16.8L. Without discounts, insurance premium reductions. Plus expect Sonet pricing to drive a little deeper discounts.

Irrespective of the brands, models, in 2020 a small compact mini-SUV (with all features and bells) is 17+L on-road. This should sink in a bit to all potential buyers. Exactly 10 years ago, a Skoda Laura (Octavia II) top trim was available between 16L-17L on road, Bangalore. Beyond any sticker shock. (this is how prices have bloated across all segments). I'm probably the only one to think this way or making no sense in the time and age.
k_ajay is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 18:16   #169
Senior - BHPian

HTK+ and HTX comparison -
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 18:17   #170
Senior - BHPian

My two cents.

It's more than sticker price shock that made Kia to withhold the price of GTX+ Diesel AT. I feel Kia is caught between the devil and the deep sea as they need to protect the sales of HTK+ D AT mid variant Seltos and fear it's cancellations. Just a back of envelope calculation shows 16.7 lakhs OTR for it. And assuming an ex showroom price of 12.99 for Sonet GTX+ DAT, the OTR price would be close to 15.5. So one is tempted to cancel a Seltos booking in a mid variant and buy Sonet with all the safety kits and bells and whistles and save 1.2 lakhs. All you get extra is a slightly bigger cabin and boot with Seltos.

Similarly the top of line GTX+ D AT Seltos is 21.5 lakhs OTR and Sonet in same trim in all likelihood be at 15.5 or even 16 at the worst. What do you get with the extra 6 lakhs? One would literally be paying 6 lakhs for a comparitively bigger cabin and boot, and in Sonet you're getting the identical state of tune engine and very same transmission too. What you would miss is 360° camera and HUD. Aren't these the factors that are worrying Kia deep down. And consider this, one has to spend 20 lakhs and upwards to have ESC and 6 airbags in Seltos. In Sonet all of that and more comes at 5.5 - 6 lakh less.

Surely, both these cars belong to different segments but what separates them is only little here and there, especially in D AT. Yes there are other attributes like road presence, driving feel and comfort that would vary. But if Sonet feels, drives and behaves 90% like Seltos, doesn't it become an obvious choice to go for Sonet at the expense of lesser space and may be a little less road presence too.

This is one of the tricky plights Kia is caught in. While with Seltos they carpet bombed everything in the 10 lakh - 20 lakh range, the same ploy may not work well with Sonet unless they stop all the entry variants of Seltos. They clearly don't want Sonet to eat into Seltos' sales. What we saw with Seltos is not only will they keep the GTX+ launch in abeyance till the dust settles down but will slowly jack up the prices of Sonet once they goes past selling 50k units.

Sonet is certainly a great VFM product with Ford Eco Sport the only contender to give a fight with its AT petrol. The likes of Brezza are surely looking down the barrel, I don't see it's soon to be launched avatar with the T badge standing any chance either against Sonet. Now, after seeing Sonet the likes of Ford, Maruti, Mahindra and even Tata must be licking their lips and rue the missed opportunity. What stopped them from making a product like Sonet. They had all the wherewithal but took the Indian car buyers for granted and dished out step motherly treatment all these years.

Meanwhile, I've just noticed both non turbo petrols are 5 speed.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th September 2020 at 21:34. Reason: As requested
Bibendum90949 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 19:00   #171
BHPian

Pricing seems to be alright for the lower variants. My only confusion is why the difference between turbo petrol and diesel is so less? Why would one opt for the turbo petrol imt when you get a sweet diesel
Old 18th September 2020, 19:00   #172
BHPian

So I checked with Allied Motors Gurgaon and the folks are shocked themselves at the exclusion of GTX+ pricing for some models. Not only are they showing GTX+ as demo vehicles, they also happen to have them in their inventory which they now cannot sell since they can't bill it. So it's not the customers only, even their dealerships were caught off guard with the act.
headbanger is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 20:10   #173
BHPian

Now this pricing has put me in a different situation all together.
I was considering the XZ+ Tigor with an OTR of around 7.4 lacs after discounts. I am considering safety as my topmost priority. Should I get the HTE Sonet. Or is the Tigor better.
Old 18th September 2020, 20:18   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Irrespective of the brands, models, in 2020 a small compact mini-SUV (with all features and bells) is 17+L on-road. This should sink in a bit to all potential buyers. Exactly 10 years ago, a Skoda Laura (Octavia II) top trim was available between 16L-17L on road, Bangalore. Beyond any sticker shock. (this is how prices have bloated across all segments). I'm probably the only one to think this way or making no sense in the time and age.
You are definitely not the only one, my friend! I can't believe that a sub 4 mtr car from a non - premium brand with only a year's reputation is going to cost 16 - 17 lacs on road.

I m in the market for a car in this range and inspite of everything, I don't see any VFM in this or any comparable product. Somehow, no wow factor after spending 16 - 17 lacs.
Taruns_Hah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 20:23   #175
Senior - BHPian

I took a test drive today. The diesel engine is strong with oodles of torque, and the automatic gear box felt good. Car has ever gizmo there possibly could be. Wireless AA and Apple Car Play is indeed there in the top end. But I kind of struggled to get into the seat, then to get a good driving position, and felt it was cramped. That's a bummer. The sales staff are really keen to close sales, and since the showroom was buzzing with people they have asked me to get a second feel on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_2771.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 18th September 2020 at 20:27.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 21:01   #176
BHPian

Kia Sonet, On-road Price list, Chennai, 18-Sep-2020

[ATTACH=Price List Kia Sonet 18-09-2020.pdf]2056695[/ATTACH]

Kia Sonet : Official Review-kia-sonet-onroad-price-list-chennai-18sep2020.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Price List Kia Sonet 18-09-2020.pdf (508.2 KB, 633 views)

Last edited by Murugan : 18th September 2020 at 21:08.
Murugan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 22:00   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
My two cents.
Which is why I was baffled when they launched the Seltos in the 115 HP tune (when the previous gen Creta was 129 HP) and now the same engine in the Venue + Sonet twins.

There is no engine differentiation in a car range spanning from 8l otr to 20l otr.

This problem will be solved if Kia sold the 1.6l diesel or the 1.6 petrol which has 135 horse tune.

Even if meant a slightly higher price there will be a clear distinction and the question of cannibalization wont happen
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 22:00   #178
BHPian

Sonet Price list Haryana.pdf

Kia Sonet : Official Review-sonet.png
Here are Sonet prices for Gurgaon.
vellatechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 22:16   #179
BHPian

IMHO, it isn't great pricing, especially when compared to its sibling Venue. The topmost iMT variant is Venue Sport SX (O) 1.0 and its on-road pricing in Chennai is at 13.60 lakhs (Source - Carwale), whereas Sonet iMT GTX plus is 14.69 Lakhs (Source - Kia website), I agree there are few more features when compared to Venue, but is 1.1 Lakhs worth for that? If you ask me, maybe not.

One of the main reasons for Seltos to be a runaway hit was for its aggressive pricing when compared to last-gen Creta and there weren't many players in the market. But that's not the case with this segment, already the segment is cramped, if its for any car, Kia should have been aggressive with this one, lost opportunity. Furthermore 2 more variants yet to launch, that will take the pricing even more high. God bless Kia.

Last edited by vvivek85 : 18th September 2020 at 22:18. Reason: Typo
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 23:11   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Kia Sonet, On-road Price list, Chennai, 18-Sep-2020
I was looking at the HTX Plus iMT and it's 14+ Lacs in Chennai itself. Wonder what it will be in Bangalore. A bit over priced than what I was hoping for.
NFS2024 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed