Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:07   #286
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

There is a new report by ACI that the Sonet could get a regular 6-speed MT with the 120 PS 1.0 Kappa Turbo-GDi.

Quote:
Given that its cousin already offers the option, the Sonet, too, could get the same 6-speed manual gearbox, and Kia is open to the possibility of introducing a proper manual for the Sonet 1.0 Turbo if market demand necessitates it.
It would be good move IMO, and they should offer it in at least three variants including the top one with 6 airbags & ESP.

It would also be nice if they could offer the 6-step CVT mated to the 83 PS 1.2 Kappa, as found on the i20. That would be a good, value-for-money option for those looking at the Sonet mostly for city use.

Last edited by RSR : 22nd September 2020 at 08:14.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:18   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenjatti1 View Post
Imy question to the members, should I go for GTX+ petrol DCT or GTX+ diesel auto or should settle down with Venue SX+ DCT, considering my driving range is 10k kms per year. Is top-end D Auto is better than DCT ?, since my driving would be mostly in city and occasional highway run (say 70:30 proportionate).

Your valuable suggestions are highly appreciated.
The Diesel Auto would be any day better than the DCT - better performance, better mileage, better reliability (the DCTs are prone to heating issues as discussed elsewhere in the forum). Previously, the concerns with Diesel used to be higher acquisition and maintenance costs, higher emissions and higher NVH, all of which have been sorted out. Both top end models being turbocharged, purchase price and maintenance costs are unlikely to be very different.The BS6 Diesels are almost on par with BS4 on emissions today(see my earlier post on this subject) and finally, Hyundai/Kia make Diesels that are almost as quiet and vibe free as the petrol.

Final couple of arguments in favour of diesel - You will have a fantastic cruising range on your highway runs, reported to be close to 1000 kms on the Sonet. Resale value is also likely to be much better as has traditionally been the case with Diesels, which have a long engine life.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:06   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
I also think other factors you mentioned are to convince others
And why would I convince others? What's there for me if somebody else buys?
I am still in a fix whether to go ahead or hold back my urge. But the fact remains the same, we don't see new models every year which feel just right and Sonet is one such car.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2020 at 05:19. Reason: Personal attack deleted
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:01   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
And why would I convince others? What's there for me if somebody else buys?
Anyways that's your thought process. Likewise I am still in a fix whether to go ahead or hold back my urge. But the fact remains the same, we don't see new models every year which feels just right and Sonet is one such car.
"Others" I meant in my earlier post refers to people involved in your buying decision, say family/friends. It's not like any sort of comparison.

The "convincing" part I mentioned was like explaining people(if there are somebody else involved in your purchase), kind of issues you are facing with your current car and Sonet is better. Nothing else.

I believe this explanation will clear things and apologies if you are still uncomfortable with my earlier post
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:05   #290

Does anyone have an idea as to when the Dual tone models will be dispatched?

I have booked a 1.0 GTX+ iMT white dual tone. The kia sales representative said that in the first lot received they haven't got any dual tone vehicles. Also, since the dual tone prices aren't out yet, they are unsure of when the actual deliveries may begin.
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:44   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a good comparison done between Sonet and Venue on the important aspects.

And another good video comparing the HTX and the GTX+ variants of the Sonet side by side.

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd September 2020 at 19:48.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:57   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Wonder if anyone can answer this one (since there are no long test drives thus far) - the terrain/traction control on the top variant (snow/mud/sand) - is it just a marketing gimmick, something purely ornamental or is it a feature that really works? I ask since this is not a 4WD or AWD.
These are exciting times on this Sonet thread complete with passionate discussions.
However I'm just getting back to an earlier query of mine and a link with explanation given by Hyundai on the same. Interesting and while it may not be ever used, it just might come in handy in some muddy, potholed situation (with streets dug up) on our urban roads esp during monsoons. I've seen cars struggle in such situations in my town. Of course, we could take this claim with a pinch (or a bag) of salt.

https://tech.hyundaimotorgroup.com/a...tra%20traction.
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:05   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Sonet could get a manual gearbox for the 1.0L turbo petrol if there is demand for one.

Honestly it should have been provided at the launch itself!

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-option-418655
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:10   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenjatti1 View Post
I am in search for a replacement of 12 years old wagonR, which has run 110k kms and still very much emotionally attached. I am looking at sub 4-meter CSUV, considering the parking space and driving it on Bangalore roads. My requirement is top-end petrol automatic with best of safety features and I would like to keep it for next 7-8 years.

I was a big fan of Ford Ecosport, it was a perfect CSUV, best in design however automatic is not available in the top “S” trim. Then waited for the Hyundai Venue, which is all good with neutral design and has smooth DCT in SX+ variant, however not in the top trim and missing out on 6 air bags and rear wiper, which are very much essential in my view. Though it is now available in new sport avatar with paddle shifters, with Creta steering wheel, still the second-best trim, missing out on few safety features.

Now we have Kia Sonet with best in safety and features available in top-end trim GTX+ with all bells & whistles with Bose sound, big screen, futuristic instrument panel, ventilated seats, front sensors and T-GDI DCT, which has all the ingredients I was looking for. Though I am interested only in petrol, I am looking at the praise and enthusiasm of fellow members for Diesel automatic, whose price should be almost at par with petrol DCT.

My price range was up to 13.5 to 14 lakhs, now that top-end Sonet should cost beyond 15 lakhs, my question to the members, should I go for GTX+ petrol DCT or GTX+ diesel auto or should settle down with Venue SX+ DCT, considering my driving range is 10k kms per year. Is top-end D Auto is better than DCT ?, since my driving would be mostly in city and occasional highway run (say 70:30 proportionate).

Your valuable suggestions are highly appreciated.
I was in the same dilemma until the pricing was announced. Diesel top end ix expected to be around 16 with zero dep insurance and extended warranty. I agree that the diesel AT is a novelty in this segment and it is priced on par to the rivals wrt to extra features and thus engine gearbox combination but in essence the whole positioning of the compact SUVs is what does not make sense to me. Hence, I decided to forego some features and go for Kia Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT with 16.4 on road price.
Sagar.Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 16:24   #295
Senior - BHPian

1.5-litre turbo diesel comparison

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:13   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagar.Agarwal View Post
Hence, I decided to forego some features and go for Kia Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT with 16.4 on-road price.
This is exactly what I had expected. If the Sonet GTX+ Diesel Auto is priced too close to the HTK+ Seltos, people might choose the Seltos over Sonet.

By choosing the Seltos over the Sonet, you are not only sacrificing on features, but you are also sacrificing on important safety features.

As far as I can remember, Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT is pretty barebones in terms of safety features. It has ABS with EBD and two airbags only.
The Sonet top-end automatic has ESC, VSM, hill hold, and 6 airbags.

I'm sure you are aware of the pros and cons of each model and making an informed decision. All the best!
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:15   #297
BHPian

Made a visit to Incheon Kia, Cochin to meet the new kid on the block !
First impressions on the display car - Sonet GTX+ 1.5D AT :

Quote:
*The exterior design is very attractive as in the pics and reviews we have seen, front fascia and the hood looks macho than Venue.
*The roof line is a kind of sloping down to the rear quarter.
*Everything felt very compact to me , except the hood and the media screen, was curious to see the boot but unfortunately the car battery was drained and it was not openable as per the executive.
*The legroom at the front and rear felt adequate and shoulder was average.
*Seats felt comfortable and supportive, front seats were set at high positions , might raise some head room concerns for tall people.
*Rear seats doesn’t offer 60:40 split, which is a big miss.
*Plastics in non-piano finish felt better than Brezza .
The test drive vehicles were not ready due to the RTO formalities, they are preparing the cars for delivery in the coming days to the early customers too.

Kia Sonet : Official Review-6fe053c8d3d247e9b96ffddf48747cfe.jpeg

Kia Sonet : Official Review-4479593ff6b742799abbdaf6ff7d3662.jpeg

Somehow I felt the car is too compact for me in the first meet, the steering wheel, sunroof , doors, seats felt smaller sized but few other design elements like hood, headlights, ac vents , media screen felt bigger. The impression may change after a test drive and when little more time is spent with it. There were a handful of customers who were finalizing the deals on the Sonet as well as Seltos. After the Sonet had a few minutes inside the Seltos and it felt very impressive and spacious .

Price list attached.
Kia Sonet : Official Review-6d0995524aaf466ebb472e98d98adaf2.jpeg
TorqueIndia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:13   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
1.5-litre turbo diesel comparison

https://Youtu.be/55x6Z2yWs6w
Watched this yesterday. Interesting comparison, since Sirish clearly says "without beating around the bush" that the diesel auto Sonet is the leader of the compact SUV pack by some margin, even when it comes to the Ecosport.

The Achilles heel of the Ecosport has always, in my opinion, been a hard suspension and heavy clutch, and the Sonet auto trumps it in these departments, going by most of the available reviews. Still to drive the Sonet myself, planing to do this the coming weekend.

I don't know why they are delaying declaring the on road prices for the GTX variants, since that just delays bookings for many prospective customers.
Old 24th September 2020, 09:58   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I don't know why they are delaying declaring the on road prices for the GTX variants, since that just delays bookings for many prospective customers.
Kia should actually go ahead and declare the price of the GTX+ diesel AT and my guess is it should be around 12.98 lacs ex-showroom.
The HTK+ Diesel AT is around 90,000 more expensive than the HTK+ Diesel manual, so going by the same logic, the GTX+ should be around 12.98 lacs.

However, I do hope that Kia also launches a HTX Diesel AT variant as they can then launch that at 10.89 lacs (considering HTX diesel manual is 9.99 lacs)
- That would be a killer variant and would be great value for money and much better than the bare bones HTK+ variant available currently.
Let's see how they play their cards finally!
Old 24th September 2020, 10:41   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

The Achilles heel of the Ecosport has always, in my opinion, been a hard suspension and heavy clutch, and the Sonet auto trumps it in these departments, going by most of the available reviews. Still to drive the Sonet myself, planing to do this the coming weekend.
The Ecosport does not have a heavy clutch. The clutch is better than average, the action is progressive and the pedal travel is on the shorter side. The gear shifts are also very sporty with short throws. The clutch does harden over time, as it happens with most Diesel cars.. I had it changed after my Ecosport TDCI hit the 6 year mark (an inexpensive fix) and now it is soft and smooth again. Combined with the feel and accuracy of the steering, the short throw gearbox, it is a drivers’ delight. It is absolutely planted at high speeds and has very minimal turbo lag, making both city and highway runs something to look forward to. I did not find the same driving pleasure in the Venue Diesel Manual, yet to test drive the Sonet.

The real problems in the Ecosport are the absence of a sixth gear and a Diesel Auto. The chassis begs you to go fast but due to missing sixth gear the engine runs out of steam at around 130 kph and gets buzzy and noisy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks