Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2020, 16:30   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
So you still believe the 1st generation Creta was "built on the i20 platform"? No offence meant to you, sir (and not to take it off topic further) but that made me laugh again.
The Creta and i20 share the same platform

Quote:
It doesn't make any sense at all that the Indian Venue and Sonet are built on the K1 platform.

Some silly, unknown websites claiming the Indian Venue is built on the K1 platform doesn't make it true.
True. Venue is not built on Santro platform. The Santro platform cannot accomadate the 1.5L diesel engine.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st September 2020 at 07:36. Reason: back to back posts
Old 20th September 2020, 16:45   #257
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhkop View Post

The Creta and i20 share the same platform
Oh no, they don't!

The Creta and Elantra share the same platform is what it is!
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 17:01   #258
BHPian

Excellent pricing and the feature list !!!!

I was in awe of the ventilated seats in Elantra not too long ago and to offer them in an sub-compact is a game changer.

Sonet and Venue are going to take the Brezza and it’s Toyota version to the cleaners.
pk1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 17:37   #259
BHPian

Kia is giving a 1 min test drive since there is lot of rush and the showroom is packed with peoplel for test drives. Could not make out anything in this short test drive that I did of the iMT variant. I believe it will not be until December that one can expect a longer or a test drive at home.
Old 20th September 2020, 18:20   #260
BHPian

Thanks to Epitome Kia, nerd1200 and SuhasManjunath, a few of us got to do extensive TDs of the Sonet, diesel AT and petrol IMT.

Coming from a HPS Fiat I find all the new EPS setups very light, but the Sonet's weighed up nicely at speed. The ride was nice and composed on the airport expressway with very little roll and the car didn't feel nervous when pushed. The bad bit reared it's head when 4 of us took the IMT over a rutted road where the rear regularly kept bottoming out from what I feel is very little suspension travel.

I found the AT was superb upto about 3-3.5K after which you just got a lot of noise from the engine with very little shove (I found the same issue in the Seltos diesel AT that followed the Sonet).

I think the IMT is a brilliant compromise for those who want to have the feel of a manual and get the convenience of an AT. The engine is a cracker and sings to the red line without any fuss. The gears slot in nicely if you lift of the throttle while changing but need a good shove if you stay on the throttle while shifting. I never thought I would say this, but the IMT is something a hard-core 5 on the floor chap like me could live with.

This is purely personal, but I just prefer the looks of the Venue inside and out to the Sonet.

Since the IMT has no hill hold you have to exactly. balance the release of the handbrake and pressure on the accelerator on a slope otherwise you will either stall and go backwards or get wheel spin and scare yourself.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th September 2020 at 19:59. Reason: Merged as requested. Thanks.
Old 20th September 2020, 18:42   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Oh no, they don't!

Yes sir, they do. Creta and i20 share the same platform.
Unlike the Creta and i20, Elantra is not locally manufactured in India.

Coming to the topic regarding this thread, some members have wrongly assumed that Sonet is based on Santro's platform.

Just like you mentioned, it is absolutely true that Sonet is not based on the Santro's Platform.

As an insider, the best possible information I can disclose has been mentioned in my previous post :

Quote:
I donot know exactly how,where & who started the discussion around the K1 platform and the models built on it.

Just want to share a piece of authenticated information to end the speculations running across multiple threads.

Platform A : Santro, Nios, Aura
Platform B : i20, Venue/Sonet, Creta/Seltos

[Keeping the nomenclature of the platforms aside to avoid already existing confusion]

Even though 2 models share same platform; minor modifications are made depending on the bodytype, dimensions, interior packaging etc.
Hope this clears all the air. Thank You.
abhkop is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 18:43   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Oh no, they don't!

If this helps!! Screenshot captured from wiki.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_20200920183620.png  

Old 20th September 2020, 18:48   #263
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post

If this helps!! Screenshot captured from wiki.
Wikipedia is not really a credible source, as anyone can edit it. Even now, I can go over and edit it. The wikipedia fact checkers are not technical guys and on topics like these, they do no verification at all!

Wikipedia editors & moderators happen to concentrate all their energies on contemporary political topics. I'm not saying that such topics on Wikipedia are credible, by they way.

Quote:

True. Venue is not built on Santro platform. The Santro platform cannot accomadate the 1.5L diesel engine.
That's certainly the case, sir. I don't know why it's so difficult to understand.

The 4-cylinder 1.5 U2 CRDi is a large engine and simply cannot be fit into the Santro's platform, let alone the 1.5 U2 CRDi + 6 speed TC as found on the Sonet. I'm not talking about the Santro car as such, but the platform itself (K1) is small and is simply not capable of accomodating the 4-pot 1.5 U2 CRDi.

Remember the 75 PS 3-cylinder 1.2 U2 CRDi doing duty on the Nios & Aura, & which debuted on the Grand i10 & Xcent facelifts? That was an engine Hyundai specifically developed for India after they received complaints that the 71 PS 3-pot 1.1 U2 CRDi was underpowered.

Why did they do that, when they could have simply fit the (detuned) 75 PS version of the 4-cylinder 1.4 U2 CRDi under the hood of the Grand i10 Nios & Aura? Are they fools to have gone ahead and developed a new engine specifically for the paltry sales of the facelifted models in India alone?

Of course not! The 75 PS 3-cylinder 1.2 CRDi's development was a strategic investment for India in the long run, as the larger 4-cylinder diesels - the 75 PS & 90 PS 1.4 CRDis and the 100 PS & 115 PS 1.5 CRDis simply could not be fit into their smallest car platform.

Any car that carries the 4-pot 1.5 CRDi cannot be built on the K1 platform.

Last edited by RSR : 20th September 2020 at 19:11.
RSR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 19:21   #264
BHPian

I was planning to go for Sonet HTK+ IMT and a simple comparison got me thinking.

On road Mumbai prices including discounts:-
Sonet HTK+ 1.0 IMT ~11.4L
Venue S 1.0 DCT ~10.7L (ackodrive website)
Nexon XMA 1.2 AMT ~ 9.6L (ackodrive website)

When comparing, gimmicky features aside, doesn't Sonet look very expensive, especially when AMT and DCT are supposed to be more expensive as compared to IMT!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th September 2020 at 19:58. Reason: Removing non-forum smiley; doesn't show up on all devices. Thanks.
Old 20th September 2020, 22:09   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_gpatel View Post
doesn't Sonet look very expensive, especially when AMT and DCT are supposed to be more expensive as compared to IMT!
Not commenting on the overall pricing but I would imagine IMT and AMT are pretty much the same, just distinct brand specific nomenclature. Yes, the DCT ought to be more expensive I agree.
Old 20th September 2020, 22:17   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Not commenting on the overall pricing but I would imagine IMT and AMT are pretty much the same, just distinct brand specific nomenclature.
Not really. iMT only has an electronic actuated clutch (and a proper manual gearbox) whereas AMT has electronic actuators for both clutch and gear shifts.

Aditya has a detailed report on the Venue IMT - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...tch-pedal.html (Hyundai Venue iMT Review : Intelligent Manual Transmission without a clutch pedal)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 22:39   #267
Senior - BHPian

All three are advanced, mature markets (South Africa, Latin America and middle east). Few parts of Africa are backward, and are developing markets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Most of the Hyundai's and Kia's made in India are exported only to emerging markets like South Africa, Latin America and middle east.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 22:59   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not really. iMT only has an electronic actuated clutch (and a proper manual gearbox) whereas AMT has electronic actuators for both clutch and gear shifts.

Aditya has a detailed report on the Venue IMT - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...tch-pedal.html (Hyundai Venue iMT Review : Intelligent Manual Transmission without a clutch pedal)

Sorry. My bad. I actually thought they were both fancy speak for essentially the same concept. Should have read up more specifically.

Thanks for the link and explanation.
Old 20th September 2020, 23:53   #269
BHPian

Quote:
That's certainly the case, sir. I don't know why it's so difficult to understand.

The 4-cylinder 1.5 U2 CRDi is a large engine and simply cannot be fit into the Santro's platform, let alone the 1.5 U2 CRDi + 6 speed TC as found on the Sonet. I'm not talking about the Santro car as such, but the platform itself (K1) is small and is simply not capable of accomodating the 4-pot 1.5 U2 CRDi.

Remember the 75 PS 3-cylinder 1.2 U2 CRDi doing duty on the Nios & Aura, & which debuted on the Grand i10 & Xcent facelifts? That was an engine Hyundai specifically developed for India after they received complaints that the 71 PS 3-pot 1.1 U2 CRDi was underpowered.

Why did they do that, when they could have simply fit the (detuned) 75 PS version of the 4-cylinder 1.4 U2 CRDi under the hood of the Grand i10 Nios & Aura? Are they fools to have gone ahead and developed a new engine specifically for the paltry sales of the facelifted models in India alone?

Of course not! The 75 PS 3-cylinder 1.2 CRDi's development was a strategic investment for India in the long run, as the larger 4-cylinder diesels - the 75 PS & 90 PS 1.4 CRDis and the 100 PS & 115 PS 1.5 CRDis simply could not be fit into their smallest car platform.

Any car that carries the 4-pot 1.5 CRDi cannot be built on the K1 platform.
Not correct please check your facts, Sonet is based on advance K1 platform shared with Venue. If you have access to Hyundai CAMS this can be verified non the less if you have proof of something contrary do post the same.

While the 1.5 is a big engine the fact remains extenders exist and a new platform like K1 can be made to accommodate the same.
Brishti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 11:04   #270
Senior - BHPian

Paid a visit to the Naara Kia showroom on Saturday afternoon, to try and take a test drive of the Sonet. It had been pouring in Bangalore since the earlier night and I assumed that the test drive could be done without much hassle. Lo and behold, the darn showroom was literally teeming with people giving booking amounts and checking out the Sonet, even in that miserable weather and pouring rain. Four test drive vehicles packed with people doing the rounds, tons of people waiting in line for their turn. Reminded me of Maruti showrooms when the Swift facelift was launched in 2011.

Test drive would take at least half an hour, is what I was told, and we decided to beat it given that we had to go some where else after that. No way I was going to wait around in that crowd and noise. Decided to come at a later time when the frenzy dies down.

We then went to the nearby Ford showroom to check out the price list of the Ecosport. What a contrast! Zero customers, one lone sales advisor that too lounging around with no real work. Just requested him for the price list and left, after generally checking out the display cars. He did offer me a test drive, but I declined since I have driven the Ecosport several times earlier. My wife asked me why there was such a stark difference in the showrooms and footfalls, and I gave her the explanation.

Coming to the car itself, from what I could make out within the 2 mins that I touched and felt it, it did not really take my breath away. The way reviewers have been repeating that it has got premium build, my expectations were on another plane. The doors were fairly flimsy (my Honda City has heavier and more reassuring front doors, for sure!) and the plastics inside were just OK, nothing that premium. Back seat cramped. Front panel pretty cluttered. Front seats and steering wheel were definitely nice to touch and feel. Immediately thereafter, sat in the Seltos just for kicks. The difference in quality between the siblings seemed pretty stark to a Kia newbie like me.

I have a feeling the Sonet is already overhyped, at least where build quality is concerned. As far as looks go, yes it is a fairly handsome car, but the old warrior Ecosport still gives a tough fight when it comes to butch and proportional SUV looks. Need to wait for the drive and see whether a 17 lakhs price tag for the diesel auto is justified when it comes to the 14.5 lakhs of the Ecosport top end S version (manual of course).

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 21st September 2020 at 11:08.
arindambasu13 is offline   (29) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks