Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2020, 12:13   #241
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

The global Venue and Sonet are based on the GB Platform but not in India.
I doubt if India has seen any cars based on the GB Platform. The older i20 and Verna in India were based on the older PB Platform while the GB Platform is its successor globally.

Hyundai themselves have made it clear that all their mass market vehicles sold in India will be based on just two platforms: K1 and K2 (similar to Heartect Platform usage by Maruti)
  • All Sub-4M vehicles from Hyundai-Kia in India will based on the same K1 Platform
  • It is correct that Xcent, Grand i10, Santro, Venue and Sonet are all based on the K1 platform. The K1 Platform in fact a modified version of the Hyundai Eon's platform which was also known as the SA Platform.
  • The Creta and Seltos are based on the Superior K2 platform which is a modified Elantra platform.

References:
Exclusive: Hyundai To Launch Two New Models Based On The New Santro's K1 Platform In 2019 : Link 1
Hyundai to bring new models in 2019 based on the new Santro's K1 platform - Link 2

It doesn't make any sense at all that the Indian Venue and Sonet are built on the K1 platform.

Some silly, unknown websites claiming the Indian Venue is built on the K1 platform doesn't make it true.

Just try fitting the large 1.5 U2 CRDi engine, let alone the 1.5 U2 CRDi + 6-speed torque converter on the K1 platform. It simply cannot be done. Nor can the large wheels and tyres on the Venue & Sonet.

The GB platform is the one the Elite i20 & i20 Active are built on, and it is also the platform for the Venue and Sonet. The first gen. i20 is built on the PB platform. The current Verna is built on the Elantra's K2 platform.

All sub-4m cars from Hyundai may be built on the K1 platform. But what are those sub-4m cars? The Grand i10 Nios and Aura, apart from the Santro.

The Venue is not a sub-4m car. It measures 4040 mm in length. It was specifically modified for India to become a sub-4m car. Even the current i20 & upcoming i20 are not sub-4m cars. They measure over 4m, but are specifically modified for India to duck under the sub-4m mark.

Last edited by RSR : 20th September 2020 at 12:24.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:13   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
So they will manufacture the Sonet on 2 platforms in India- one for the domestic market and the other for export?
Surprisingly that Autocar link I posted expects a 4 star rating at least on the Indian Venue.
This what is published:
Quote:
Y K Koo, MD & CEO, Hyundai Motor India said, "We have launched the much awaited new Hyundai Santro, and a couple of launches will follow next year, which together should help us achieving a market share of over 30 per cent in the compact car segment in India." We have exclusive details on this from sources within the company. They have shared exclusively with carandbike, that in the future all sub-four metre cars from the Hyundai (and likely Kia) stable will be built on the K1 platform. The platform is light in weight, rigid enough to meet the crash requirements in various markets, and is versatile enough to wear several top-hats of varied size and shape - allowing both Hyundai and Kia to use it for various models in different body styles. For starters, Kia's subcompact SUV will also be based on the same platform.
I think they do have the scale since all their Sub-4M for India would be based on this platform. Now how they will maintain a second platform for Global Sonet and Venue and whether that is built in India is something I do not have any info on.
vsrivatsa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:25   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The Venue is not a sub-4m car. It measures 4040 mm in length. It was specifically modified for India to become a sub-4m car.
Kindly visit the Team-BHP Official Review page for Venue and read it > (Hyundai Venue : Official Review)

And I hope this reference does not mean the same as whatever you said about the other website...

Here is an extract from Team-BHP Official Review:
Quote:
The Venue is based on the K1 platform which made its debut in the Santro. At Rs. 6.50 - 11.11 lakhs, Hyundai has also priced it competitively in the segment. Fit & finish are as good as other Hyundai vehicles – in fact, they are among the best in this segment. The car is well built with 69% advanced and high strength steel in its construction; the doors, tailgate and bonnet have a good deal of weight to them. There's very little flex if you press the metal with your thumb. This is despite the fact that the Venue's kerb weight of 1,050 kg for the 1.2L petrol, 1,095 kg for the 1.0L petrol (1,125 kg for the DCT) and 1,160 kg for the diesel makes it lighter than all other monocoque sub-4 meter rivals! The paint quality is as good as we’ve seen in the segment and the panel gaps are even.
MODS: Kindly merge the threads.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 20th September 2020 at 12:27.
vsrivatsa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:31   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly visit the Team-BHP Official Review page for Venue and read it > (Hyundai Venue : Official Review)

And I hope this reference does not mean the same as whatever you said about the other website...

Here is an extract from Team-BHP Official Review:

MODS: Kindly merge the threads.
So the important question now therefore is - are the Sonet/Venue built on 2 platforms- one for the Indian market and another one for the other markets. I guess we’ll get the answer in the coming days.
Old 20th September 2020, 12:37   #245
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
References:
Exclusive: Hyundai To Launch Two New Models Based On The New Santro's K1 Platform In 2019 : Link 1
Yep, two new sub-4m models. And what are they?

1) Grand i10 Nios
2) Aura

Quote:

I think they do have the scale since all their Sub-4M for India would be based on this platform.
Yes, the sub-4m cars like the Grand i10 Nios & Aura are built on the K1 platform. The Venue, as I mentioned earlier, is not a sub-4m car as it was designed.

Quote:
Now how they will maintain a second platform for Global Sonet and Venue and whether that is built in India is something I do not have any info on.
That's why it makes no sense at all. Hyundai and Kia are not fools to built the same car on two different platforms, one for India and one for export from India.

Why should they go to great uncrossable lengths to specifically build the Indian Venue on the K1 platform (which cannot even accommodate the 1.5 U2 CRDi engine), when they already have the i20's GB platform localised in India for the Elite i20/i20 Active? When they have been churning out the GB platform of the i20 (which easily accomodates the 1.5 U2 CRDi) by the thousands every month in India, they will build the Venue and Sonet on the same.

Last edited by RSR : 20th September 2020 at 12:57.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:42   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why should they go to great lengths to build the Indian Venue on the K1 platform (which cannot even accommodate the 1.5 U2 CRDi engine), when they already have the i20's GB platform localised in India for the Elite i20/i20 Active?
Simple - because the new i20 also would be based on the K1 Platform as that is also a Sub 4M Car.

Reference: Hyundai Confirms, No Delay In Launch Of New-Gen Hyundai Elite i20 - Link

Quote:
The new Elite i20 is designed on the updated version of K1 platform. The car’s exterior is designed on the line of the ‘Sensuous Sportiness’ design theme. It was earlier seen on the Aura and the Nios. Use of sharp lines and intersecting segments is the baseline for this design theme.
At the moment this is the only reference I have.
vsrivatsa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:16   #247
Senior - BHPian

Pardon for the off topic post.

Whatever be the platform, this thread should be an eye opener for whomsoever is advocating build quality

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...an-market.html (Made-in-India Hyundai i20 scores 3 stars in NCAP test (South African market))

Most of the Hyundai's and Kia's made in India are exported only to emerging markets like South Africa, Latin America and middle east.

Whereas the same cars sold in Australian and American(made in Korea) markets are different in dimensions & weights when compared to Indian or Indian exported ones. Which should prove that only 1 platform is used to both Indian market and export to emerging markets.

I would be more than glad to be corrected, so please enlighten me if anyone finds a reference of these cars being exported to America or Australia to which the 4-star crash rating applies.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 20th September 2020 at 13:18.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:19   #248
Senior - BHPian

For a better reference you need to wait for the Team-BHP Official Review of new i20 when it launches. Sorry but I am not an auto journalist with a mic who goes to Hyundai and asks them what it is based on and neither do I have any informers within Hyundai-Kia and neither have I ever visited the Hyundai or Kia factory. I have to rely on sources such as these and I am transparent about the basis of my claims. Cannot help beyond this.

In the meanwhile, if you have genuine proof points kindly share it with the Team-BHP Mods/Admins and they will be open to correct the Venue Official Review if it is having incorrect information which is what you are claiming now.

Meanwhile, I don't find it surprising at all that Hyundai-Kia have resorted to using K1 platform for a whole range of cars since Maruti is already doing it. Most of the Maruti cars Ignis, Swift, Baleno and Ertiga all are based on the same platform - the Heartect Platform and this constitutes a mix of Sub-4M and >4M cars since the new Ertiga is 4395mm

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2020 at 07:31. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
vsrivatsa is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:27   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Pardon for the off topic

I would be more than glad to be corrected, so please enlighten me if anyone finds a reference of these cars being exported to America or Australia to which the 4-star crash rating applies.
Here you are - not Hyundai but Ford -
https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...erica/55507719
I think it scored decently in the Euro NCAP.

As for Hyundai-
https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...-2020/1976677/

Includes one country from Europe and some from Asia Pacific.

Last edited by wilful : 20th September 2020 at 13:34.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:28   #250
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For a better reference you need to wait for the Team-BHP Official Review of new i20 when it launches.
I believe in verifying every claim or statement to my satisfaction, even if it is something posted on Team-BHP. No offence meant to anyone on the forum at all, but that's how it is.

Remember the 1st generation Hyundai Creta? How some folks on Team-BHP were so eager to claim that it was allegedly built "on the i20 platform" or that the Creta was "an i20 on stilts", and how wrong those folks were???

The 1st generation Creta for India and the world was built on the Elantra (MD) platform and had absolutely nothing to do with the i20!

Last edited by RSR : 20th September 2020 at 13:33.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:34   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe in verifying every claim or statement to my satisfaction, even if it is something posted on Team-BHP. No offence meant to anyone on the forum at all, but that's how it is.

Remember the 1st generation Hyundai Creta? How some folks on Team-BHP were so eager to claim that it was allegedly built "on the i20 platform" or that the "Creta was an i20 on stilts" and how wrong those folks were?

The 1st generation Creta for India and the world was built on the Elantra (MD) platform and had absolutely nothing to do with the i20!
I don't want to take these off topic posts further but pray tell me - what is the basis of your comments and claims. Just making a statement without a backing hardly clears the doubts that people have.

If you say you have verified the part about 1st Gen Creta, please do share how you verified it - since there is still lot of confusion about the 1st gen Creta platform and no conclusive evidence. Why should anyone take what you are saying on face value as a fact?

If understood your logic, the gap you are seeing is that the engine is too large for the platform. Most of the articles refer to these platforms as "Modified K1", "Modified K2", "more Advanced version of K1" - but there is no information on what these modifications were. So is it possible that these "modifications" are enabling Hyundai-Kia to fit the larges engines on these smaller platforms?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 20th September 2020 at 13:39.
vsrivatsa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 15:31   #252
BHPian

I strongly feel that Kia should prove the safety of Sonet platform by testing it in GNCAP.
Nexon and XUV300 in the same segment taken the lead in safety.
Not able to understand what is preventing them to do crash test?
Till now it will be a guessing game of the platform and "expect similar safety"
Old 20th September 2020, 15:34   #253
BHPian

I donot know exactly how,where & who started the discussion around the K1 platform and the models built on it.

Just want to share a piece of authenticated information to end the speculations running across multiple threads.

Platform A : Santro, Nios, Aura
Platform B : i20, Venue/Sonet, Creta/Seltos

[Keeping the nomenclature of the platforms aside to avoid already existing confusion]

Even though 2 models share same platform; minor modifications are made depending on the bodytype, dimensions, interior packaging etc.

In a very holistic POV, Engine room in the platform is usually fixed unless it is a modular platform. So engine options provided can be one of an easy indicator to know if two models are sharing a platform or not.
abhkop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 16:21   #254
BHPian

I donot know how, where and who started the discussions on the K1 platforms and the models built on it.

Just giving you some authenticated piece of information which can end all the speculations and discussions running on multiple threads.

Platform A : Santro, Nios, Aura
Platform B : i20, Venue/Sonet, Creta/Seltos

Even though 2 models are built on the same platform, there will be minor differences based on the bodytype, dimensions, interior packaging etc.

In a more holistic POV, engine room in a platform is fixed unless it is an modular platform like VW's MQB. The engine options provided usually give an easy indication for us to know whether 2 models are sharing the same platform or not.

Last edited by abhkop : 20th September 2020 at 16:36.
abhkop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 16:27   #255
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't want to take these off topic posts further but pray tell me - what is the basis of your comments and claims. Just making a statement without a backing hardly clears the doubts that people have.
First, a disclaimer. I'm not an employee of Hyundai or Kia or their subsidiaries or associate companies. I'm certainly not an expert either, but I know a decent bit about cars, and a bit more decent amount about Hyundais.

Which one do you want to be technically proven first?

That the Indian Venue (QXi) and the international Venue (QX) are built on the same i20 (GB) platform? Since you yourself mentioned that the global Venue is built on the i20 (GB) platform?

Or, do you want technical proof that the 1st generation Creta is built on the Elantra (MD) platform?

I have now got access to technical details, but it will take a bit of time to get the exact ones for these two cars. So do give me some time, please.

In the meanwhile, here is a little teaser for you:

Kia Sonet : Official Review-screenshot_202009201555032.png

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2020 at 07:32. Reason: Do NOT personally attack BHPians
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed