Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 05:46   #1756
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
Hey everyone,
I'd like to ask about the safety/perceived safety of Sonet.

While I have a booking for a diesel HTX AT, a friend of mine discouraged me from going ahead with the purchase citing the underwhelming safety of Seltos based on the GNCAP results.

While the variant comes with 4 airbags, and has things like ESC.. This is going to be my first car and I'm confused as to how I should proceed?

Kindly advise.
I too were in a smilar situation as you but when you consider safety, there are quite a few aspects to take into account, Active safety features and passive safety features, Kia Sonet is equipped with all active safety features necessary to help avoid an accident, but crash test ratings may not be in the leagues of the Tata Nexon or the Mahindra XUV 300.

If you are mostly used to city driving and are a sedate driver, the Kia Sonet would do fine for your use case, However if you are one with many highway trips, you may look at safer car options, however one must note that these crash tests are conducted at 64 kmph and if you are going to go faster, then there is no guarantee that even a 5-star rated car can save you from a crash.

Anyways, if you are considering alternatives, there are only two other Diesel AT Compact SUVs in this price range and they are the Tata Nexon Diesel AMT and the Mahindra XUV 300 Diesel AMT and they are mated to AMTs unlike the Sonet which is mated to a Torque Converter AT.

The Nexon and XUV300 are definitely the more safer cars and are quite feature loaded too and are worthy alternatives to the Sonet if you are OK wih the AMT transmission.

Do test drive these as well before you finalize your decision.

Last edited by bijims : 18th October 2022 at 05:54.
bijims is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 08:23   #1757
BHPian

Has anyone fitted 215/65R16 tyres on a Sonet? Will it foul with the body?

Kia Sonet : Official Review-speedo-error-sonet-215-65-16.png

This is what the tyre size comparison tool shows. The dia increase is within the max threshold of 4%, but what worries me is whether the bigger tyre will rub anywhere during full lock turns, and also whether it will harm the automatic transmission.

The main reason for the upgrade is to improve the ride on bad roads, and also to fill up the arches a bit better.

Last edited by vivekgk : 18th October 2022 at 08:25.
Old 18th October 2022, 09:16   #1758
BHPian

I got the infotainment system updated over the air a few days back and now I'm getting this dialog. I searched Kia's navigation resources but I only see an update for Carens. Has anyone received this popup?

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_9468-large.jpeg

Another question, how long the battery would last for a smart key? I started getting low key battery warnings, the car is only 1.5 years old.
Old 18th October 2022, 09:36   #1759
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Hello BHPians !
I would like to know from the Kia sonet owners whether anything besides insurance is overpriced or charged unnecessarily or charged higher in the below mentioned quote. I see insurance is grossly overpriced, but I am wondering why the registration charges are ₹1855. Kia site mentions ₹855 only too. Anything else I should be aware of? Please reply ASAP. Thanks
The difference of Rs.1,000 is on account of Green Tax on diesel vehicles introduced by Kerala state from 1st April 2022. Insurance is better gotten from elsewhere you could get it at much lower rates, Everything else seems fine.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 10:32   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Has anyone received this popup?

Another question, how long the battery would last for a smart key? I started getting low key battery warnings, the car is only 1.5 years old.
Haven't got the popup yet, checked today morning GTX+.
As for key battery, better to change it every year, hardly cost 50/-.
Battery life will depend on the usage, distance of locking unlocking, and also the temperature. Warm weather will drain it quicker.
ArijitGupte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 11:04   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArijitGupte View Post
As for key battery, better to change it every year, hardly cost 50/-.
Battery life will depend on the usage, distance of locking unlocking, and also the temperature. Warm weather will drain it quicker.
Thanks! I'm not worried about the cost of battery replacement but I read about a faulty key fob issue. I'll visit the service center in a couple of days; just trying to understand if anyone else faced this issue.

Quote:
The key fob of my Kia Sonet was giving the battery a low warning in a year's time, asked the service advisor to replace it along with the service. It is then the service advisor informed me that there is a silent recall by Kia as some of the fobs are faulty and will drain the battery, they will be changing the board inside the fob FOC.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/faulty...rs-hyundai-too
Old 18th October 2022, 11:44   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Thanks! I'm not worried about the cost of battery replacement but I read about a faulty key fob issue. I'll visit the service center in a couple of days; just trying to understand if anyone else faced this issue.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/faulty...rs-hyundai-too
Damm... But I believe Kia would have changed it during the 1/2/3 service.
Nevertheless, as you said, better to get it checked.
But my earlier i10 Grand's battery had to be changed every year. Hyundai never did any recall, was told that is the battery life. Which now i doubt 🧐🤔
Old 18th October 2022, 13:52   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I too were in a smilar situation as you but when you consider safety, there are quite a few aspects to take into account, Active safety features and passive safety features, Kia Sonet is equipped with all active safety features necessary to help avoid an accident, but crash test ratings may not be in the leagues of the Tata Nexon or the Mahindra XUV 300.

If you are mostly used to city driving and are a sedate driver, the Kia Sonet would do fine for your use case, However if you are one with many highway trips, you may look at safer car options, however one must note that these crash tests are conducted at 64 kmph and if you are going to go faster, then there is no guarantee that even a 5-star rated car can save you from a crash.
Thank you for the advice.
My use-case is primarily highway driving and I'm a sedate driver. I've avoided AMT and DCT transmission options and what I was left with with was Kia Sonet Diesel AT which I liked both in terms of looks and performance. I'm not strongly for or against diesel - just want a reliable automatic.

This safety aspect coupled with the fact that this is my first car has been nagging me.

Will check out XUV300 and Nexon to see if their AMTs are any better. Thanks.
Old 18th October 2022, 15:31   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
Will check out XUV300 and Nexon to see if their AMTs are any better. Thanks.
After having driven a proper TC automatic with the Sonet, definitely the AMT's in the Nexon and XUV will feel far inferior in terms of the driving experience. No harm in testing them though. The XUV probably has a slightly better tune to the AMT but end of the day the TC auto will always be the most preferred automatic option.
Old 21st October 2022, 16:27   #1765
BHPian

One of my friend has Sonet HTK+ and we think the headlights needs upgrade as these are not powerful and doesn't have reach. He frequently travels from Pune to Nagpur. It becomes very difficult with current headlights. Could anybody suggest the headlight upgrades with specifications? He is in Pune and will visit KIA tomorrow however we think they may not have what we are looking into. Thanks!
Old 22nd October 2022, 17:02   #1766

Hello all,

A grass mowing equipment threw a stone onto the car and rhs door is damaged considerably. Checking with the showroom the quote is 8500+taxes off which out of pocket will be 1800. Turn around time is 5days. Any suggestions?
Old 23rd October 2022, 18:25   #1767
BHPian

Hi. I have booked Sonet Diesel HTX AT at two different dealerships and before the booking the SAs made it sound such that the car can be delivered in a month or two and as expected they are now saying that it could take more than 3 to 4 months. What is a usual waiting time for Sonet D AT? If someone got one in Pune how long was the wait?

Thanks.
Old 24th October 2022, 04:36   #1768
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Hi. I have booked Sonet Diesel HTX AT at two different dealerships and before the booking the SAs made it sound such that the car can be delivered in a month or two and as expected they are now saying that it could take more than 3 to 4 months. What is a usual waiting time for Sonet D AT? If someone got one in Pune how long was the wait?

Thanks.
The HTX Diesel AT does have a waiting period of around 3 to 4 months in Pune, as far as I know, a friend of mine got his car delivered in September, he made the booking in the first week of May and got delivery in the first week of September.

The GTX+ Diesel AT, HTX Anniversary Edition Diesel AT, and X-line Diesel AT are available within just a month or two.
Old 24th October 2022, 06:23   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
booked Sonet Diesel HTX AT
Hey, same here. Booked at two dealerships, same variant. I've booked in 1st week June and was verbally promised Dussehra delivery although booking receipt officially mentions 35 weeks wait. I've been asked red or white color, but I am only interested in owning silver or grey.
I had also mentioned that I am open for gtx as well just to get a Diwali delivery but nada

Last edited by Torq : 24th October 2022 at 06:24.
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 07:18   #1770
BANNED

Mod Note : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on this board.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th October 2022 at 08:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks