Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 21:51   #1666
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Isn’t it on the shifter just like the Seltos? Am I missing something?
Nope. Though the shifter is identical to the Seltos, the button is missing. Here is the pic of both FYR.

Sonet's shifter
Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_1578.jpg

Seltos's shifter
Kia Sonet : Official Review-se.png
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 21:55   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Nope. Though the shifter is identical to the Seltos, the button is missing.
Sorry, I realized the override wouldn't work for N. I was referring to the override button, my bad.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 4th August 2022 at 22:05. Reason: Corrected mistake.
Old 7th August 2022, 13:57   #1668
BHPian

Recently I have purchased Gtx plus DCT model. I have one question-

While driving in manual mode, whether gear shift indicator show in MID for upshift/ downshift according to it's speed? Now only it shows in which I am driving.

In my previous car Hyundai i10 (manual version), if I was driving in 42 km/hr in 3rd gear, in MID there was a dusplay for 4th gear upshift.
Old 7th August 2022, 14:44   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
While driving in manual mode, whether gear shift indicator show in MID for upshift/ downshift according to it's speed?
No, but it will shift automatically even in the manual mode. However, it holds the gear for a longer RPM range.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 23:22   #1670
BHPian

Hey guys, I had booked Kia Sonet Anniversary edition 3 months back from Gurgaon. The dealer has now offered me HTX in same color which I opted for. The problem is that I really liked the cosmetic updates in grille and skid plates of anniversary edition.

My question is can I get these fitted aftermarket from somewhere in NCR? I have seen some online videos both those does not seem to be genuine accesories and I want genuine parts to replaced, does someone have any pointers? Other wise i would have to wait for one more month for Anniversary edition to alloted to me.
Old 11th August 2022, 10:33   #1671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisshith View Post
Hey guys, I had booked Kia Sonet Anniversary edition 3 months back from Gurgaon. The dealer has now offered me HTX in same color which I opted for.
Yours is one of the rare cases who’s been offered the regular HTX against the booking of HTX AE. It’s always the reverse actually!

Coming to you question, when Kia had launched the AE variant, they had made it very clear that the visual additions cannot be fitted on the regular HTX model. The same is confirmed to me by the Kia folks too. However, you can get the GT Line skid plates fitted onto your regular HTX model. The front GT Line skid plate itself costs approx. 8k INR.

I have also not come across the ‘genuine’ skid plates of the AE variant in the aftermarket shops. The ones available look to be copies at best.

If you’re really keen on the AE, then your best option is to wait for a month.
ashvek3141 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 11:27   #1672
BHPian

I have a very novice query related Auto or DCT transmission
For parking, car is slotted to P. Which is said to be similar to manual transmission in say 1st gear.
But then, if it's a gear, and one starts the car and remains in P does that mean the clutch is being used?
Does that wear the clutch?
Old 15th August 2022, 15:20   #1673
BHPian

Completed a 500 kms round trip to Kolhapur over the weekend in my Sonet Diesel AT. Here are a few observations regarding the same.

First up, below is the route that I chose for the onward journey,
Goa – Amboli – Ajara – Uttur – Nipani – Kolhapur.
The road from Amboli upto the diversion for Uttur is in complete shambles!! It’s filled with potholes every 2-3 kms and there is absolutely no chance one can avoid those. Really pathetic road conditions. Anyone planning to travel via this route be wary about the same.

While on the return journey, I chose the route via Belgaum – Amboli – Goa. This also gave me an opportunity to check the car out on the open highway (approx. 100 kms) from Kolhapur to Belgaum.
  • As always, the engine + gearbox didn’t fail to impress during the entire journey. We were 3 onboard with 2 days luggage during the onward journey, whereas the return journey saw a boot-full of load; yet nothing that this car couldn’t handle.
  • In the entire 500 kms of journey, never did the gearbox fail to be in the right gear. Every single time the car maintained the CORRECT gear or atleast I didn’t feel that the car wasn’t in the right gear. The car climbs the ghats effortlessly and there is always enough power on tap for that additional push. I had switched off the AC on the ghats though.
  • During the downhill too the car maintains the required gear and one doesn’t need any engine braking or the aid of paddles to control the speed. In the entire journey I must have barely used the paddles for like 5% of the time that too during some emergency braking due to the poor roads.
  • Overtaking is a cake-wake! Long trucks / trailers, not sweat; you don’t even need to downshift, just depress the A pedal halfway and the car instantly drops a gear or two and you’re off! After sometime this gets addictive, trust me. And I am not even talking about the SPORT mode here. The entire journey was in the NORMAL driving mode only, except around 50 kms stretch during the return on the expressway where I engaged the SPORT mode.
  • My mum, who’s a non-driver made two very specific comments,
    - The car pulls swiftly than our 1st gen Creta especially on the inclines and during the overtakes.
    - It rides noticeably stiffer than our Creta, more so at the rear.

• Coming to the suspension, though the condition of the roads were bad, the ride is definitely on the firmer side. This is felt more for someone like me coming from the cushier riding 1st gen Creta. However, my Creta runs on upsized 225/55/R17 set-up which in itself isn’t soft anymore; yet it is comfier than the Sonet’s stock set-up.
  • Due to the incessant rains, the top surface of majority of roads were washed away and this could be clearly felt inside the car. The car doesn’t crash into the potholes per se but take them with a bit of speed and you’re in for a jerk!
  • I maintain the recommended 33 psi cold tire pressure all the time. Same was maintained for this trip too.

• The car drives well upto speeds of 100–110 kmph; beyond that the crosswinds disturb the composure to a great extent. You can literally feel that which doesn’t inspire confidence to push it any further.
  • At speeds beyond 120 kmph the car feels completely disconnected with the road and one must be extremely cautious beyond this. The car simply floats at these speeds. There could be two reasons for this IMO; one is that it was raining and the road surface wasn’t all that smooth (this is the expressway from Kolhapur to Belgaum) and second could be the MRF wanderers which aren’t very good set of rubbers. I think both these factors led to the poor high-speed stability. Anyway, I just tried this once, after which I reverted to sub 100 kmph.

• The infotainment system is very glitchy particularly with the Apple Car Play. It worked well for the most part of the journey, however as I reached my destination it started disconnecting as throwing up error = The connected phone isn’t responding. I tried with both my iPhones which were well-connected, yet the same error. I spent a good amount of time to re-pair them both, still no fix. It’s only after I reset the system it started working fine.
    I had seen this similar issue in my friend’s 2020 (1st batch) Sonet HTX iMT. What surprises me is that, even after 2 years these guys haven’t fixed this issue!! I don’t understand what kinda updates they bring in for this then. Even the regular BT playback is glitchy which stops playing the song mid-way and you have to disconnect and re-connect your phone. This gets frustrating when you’re driving!

• The AC in general is a chiller but there is one peculiar issue which I have noticed. I have a habit of turning off the compressor and keeping the blower on as I approach my destination, say almost half a km or so. I do this for my Creta as well as the Swift earlier; but with the Sonet, the moment I switch the compressor off in a matter of seconds the vents start to blow warm air. I mean it’s really WARM. I don’t quite get this, how can it immediately switch to warm air? I have tried with all the permutation & combinations i.e. fresh air / re-circulated air modes, with outside temperatures ranging from 20 – 26 C, Auto AC & manual AC, everything! But this nature is persistent everytime. This however is not the case in my other cars, and they keep blowing the cooler air for a good amount of time. Idk if this is for all the Sonets or Kia cars; maybe other can share their experiences.

• After driving this car for 2-3 days, the space inside feels OK. It’s only when the Creta comes into the picture is when things start feeling claustrophobic in the Sonet. Seems like the theory of relativity is at play here. But in isolation, the Sonet feels adequate in terms of space. My parents who're under 5'10" in height didn't complain of the space either.
  • The front seats are supportive, however as I mentioned before a bit of width and under thigh support would have been great (I am 6 ft. tall). I can’t quite comment about the rear seats though as I haven’t experienced them over long distance.

• The car returned a mileage of 18 kmpl (AC for 90% of the time) for the round trip as displayed on the MID. However, I am guessing it’ll be approx. 16 kmpl at best by tank-to-tank as the MID is optimistic by a good 2 kmpl.
  • The mileage drops considerably in traffic and with the AC running. I have seen figures like 11 – 12 kmpl in stop-go traffic.
  • The car however shows a healthy DTE range of approx. 950 kms on full tank.

• The lighting of this car isn't anything to write home about and I wish they had given a better set-up. The halogen fogs are completely useless and have no role to play. I am planning to switch to the LED's soon. I have seen a few reviews offering better illumination.
  • The LED headlights aren't great either on the highways and definitely fall short in terms of the basic performance. Needless to talk about them in the rains or fog.

• Though overall the car is doing well, 2 issues are persistent,
    1. Difficulty in shifting OUT of P intermittently. I have tried everything suggested by our members here, but none of the shifting pattern seems to be helping.
    2. Horn Shrill, which is there from day 1 and has now gotten a bit more frequent. I have recorded the video again and will get this checked during my next service.

• I could hear a few squeaks from the area around infotainment system when the car went over a few bad roads. For now this, the occasional door pad rattle and some rattling noise from the boot is observed. I hope this doesn't aggravate further.

• Another observation is that, in stop-go traffic whenever the car is halted for more then say 5 secs or so, it kinda goes into neutral. So what happens is, when you release the brakes there is a lag of split second before the car starts to creep forward. I think this was also highlighted by one of our member here. I can confirm this is true and does happen when the car is at halt on foot brakes in 'D'. However, anything lesser than 5 secs, and there is no lag to say and the car swiftly creeps forward. Not sure if this is an inherent nature of the TC.
ashvek3141 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 11:14   #1674

Jai Hind.

Can anyone suggest where can I/should I buy a screen guard/screen protector film for my Sonet GTX+ 1.0 L (2022) ?

I have scoured shopping sites Flipkart/Amazon etc. as well as google shopping but the reviews on all these sites are very confusing.
Some buyers have rave reviews about a certain product while others have given 1/or/2 star ratings as well as horrible reviews for the same listed product.
Would really be helpful if anyone can suggest something in this regard?

P.S. - I have tried a couple of local car accessories shops and mobile accessories shops in Kolkata but they don't have or keep such products. One shop did have screen-guard for Kia Seltos but was unwilling to take an order/advance saying that his supplier doesn't have the screen-guard for Sonet.
Old 16th August 2022, 12:17   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhricha View Post
Jai Hind.

Can anyone suggest where can I/should I buy a screen guard/screen protector film for my Sonet GTX+ 1.0 L (2022) ?
I am using one which got from Amazon on my Sonet GTX. Wokrs well no issues in touch so far.

GEAR GUARD - GIVE LIFE TO YOUR DEVICE Kia Sonet Car Accessory Interior Infotainment System 9H Clear Screen Guard - 10.25inch https://amzn.eu/d/2s1ybum
ArijitGupte is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 23:43   #1676
BHPian

I have booked the Sonet 1.5 AT HTX at PPS KIA Mysore road. I have been given a waiting period of 4 months . Not sure if the waiting period will get reduced. Apart from the Ex showroom price and RTO charges I have been quoted the below price for the car. Can anybody give advice on negotiating the same and if anything can be removed? (Especially the basic kit)

TCS: 12,150
Local Body Charges: 2,600
Basic Kit: 20,094
Insurance: 47,170
Extended Warranty: 20,072

Can we take the extended warranty after sometime?
manubg92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 08:24   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubg92 View Post
I have booked the Sonet 1.5 AT HTX at PPS KIA Mysore road.

Can anybody give advice on negotiating the same and if anything can be removed? (Especially the basic kit)

You don’t have to get the complete basic kit, you can choose only what you really need. I just picked the cabin mat, boot mat, mud flaps, key cover and sill guard and cost was ~6k.

You may also negotiate the insurance. You can get a quote from outside and most probably the dealer will match or at least discounts the premium.

About the extended warranty, you can purchase later but I highly recommend purchasing it along with the car. You can choose the extended warranty plan based on your usage. The quote you shared is for 5 Years unlimited kms. There’s another plan for 5 years, 1,20,000kms and that costs 4k less.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 10:39   #1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhricha View Post
Jai Hind.

I have scoured shopping sites Flipkart/Amazon etc. as well as google shopping but the reviews on all these sites are very confusing.
Some buyers have rave reviews about a certain product while others have given 1/or/2 star ratings as well as horrible reviews for the same listed product.
Would really be helpful if anyone can suggest something in this regard?

P.S. - I have tried a couple of local car accessories shops and mobile accessories shops in Kolkata but they don't have or keep such products. One shop did have screen-guard for Kia Seltos but was unwilling to take an order/advance saying that his supplier doesn't have the screen-guard for Sonet.
I have been using a screen guard I got from Amazon (Gear Guard), I got this even before my car got delivered , I have been using it for the past 8 months, It is very good.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 19th August 2022, 13:13   #1679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubg92 View Post
I have booked the Sonet 1.5 AT HTX at PPS KIA Mysore road. I have been given a waiting period of 4 months . Not sure if the waiting period will get reduced. Apart from the Ex showroom price and RTO charges I have been quoted the below price for the car. Can anybody give advice on negotiating the same and if anything can be removed? (Especially the basic kit)

TCS: 12,150
Local Body Charges: 2,600

You can take the extended warranty later but the problem is, the price keeps increasing with each passing month. Also, the basic kit is priced very high, please take only what you would need. The insurance as everyone knows here is a big scam. Try Digit or something new, the quote will go down by at least 30% with all the add ons. While the showroom might tell you that they will match the quotation, they will exclude most of the add-ons that are very important.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 23:11   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
You don’t have to get the complete basic kit, you can choose only what you really need. I just picked the cabin mat, boot mat, mud flaps, key cover and sill guard and cost was ~6k.

You may also negotiate the insurance. You can get a quote from outside and most probably the dealer will match or at least discounts the premium.

About the extended warranty, you can purchase later but I highly recommend purchasing it along with the car. You can choose the extended warranty plan based on your usage. The quote you shared is for 5 Years unlimited kms. There’s another plan for 5 years, 1,20,000kms and that costs 4k less.
Sure, will try to get a quote from outside and get the extended warranty along with the car. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
You can take the extended warranty later but the problem is, the price keeps increasing with each passing month. Also, the basic kit is priced very high, please take only what you would need. The insurance as everyone knows here is a big scam. Try Digit or something new, the quote will go down by at least 30% with all the add ons. While the showroom might tell you that they will match the quotation, they will exclude most of the add-ons that are very important.

Will take the extended warranty with the car. I will get quotes from outside for insurance and ask them to match it. Can you please suggest the important add-ons so that I don't miss them? Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks