Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2022, 12:25   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Also waiting for someone to answer this.
If you are asking about the PEPS ECU, it is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Apparently the birdy missed one crucial detail. No Turbo.
We knew. From the beginning. I wasn't permitted to disclose.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 12:17   #362
BHPian

Well, look what the cat dragged in - after much deliberation and test drives on selecting our new small car, went ahead and booked the Altroz iTurbo XZ+ Red/Black dual tone. My second Tata car after the venerable 'Tunni Tiago' - a 2016 XZ(O) Petrol which is currently in its 6th year of ownership having tasted the tarmac for 53k+ kilometers; Tunni will head back home to Lucknow where mom will drive it.

1. Booking process, multiple test drives at home and even the entire set of discussions till now have been a breeze! No unnecessary add-ons imposed upon, no 'our insurance' only policy clause, no 'handling charges' - the Sales Associate has been quite a helpful chap! Agreed for me doing PDI pre-registration, have clearly communicated that I'll decline delivery/registration if the car isn't in prime condition as it's supposed to be. Received a call from the dealership yesterday confirming the details of the car and the booking amount. Only thing amiss was that the lady from dealership was unsure if the SA had booked the normal NA engine car or the Turbo one - asked her to double check and upon confirmation that it's the latter, breathed a sigh of relief.

2. Thanks to the wealth of information available in this forum and learning what/what-not do to and how not to get screwed. To be honest, only time will tell - but the beginning has been great. Expected delivery aimed for end of October!

3. It's going through the company lease purchase process but the good differentiator from our office's last lease policy is that the car will be registered in my name itself - thus if/when I do sell this, it'll theoretically/actually be under the 1st owner garb in the car listings!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-whatsapp-image-20220927-19.06.19.jpeg  

djay434 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 12:30   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
What you drove was a 1.2 N/A model. No Tata car today comes with badging anywhere.

Attachment 2309361
iTurbo still has the badging at the back - here is mine during PDI, day before yesterday - planning to take delivery this coming Sunday in Gurgaon - Red/Black dual tone. Have verified that the unit isn't an old one, the Form 22 shared by the dealership shows the manufacturing date as September 2022 and sold to the dealership on 30th September, 2022 - freshest it can be. Had it not been the lackadaisical attitude of the company lease executive - would've taken the delivery 1 week earlier itself, alas it wasn't to be!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-20221021_135840.jpg  

Last edited by djay434 : 24th October 2022 at 12:47.
djay434 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 12:45   #364
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz iTurbo - The sensible YOLO purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
Attachment 2328196

There's been just one addition to the car since I took delivery. I changed the stock MRF tyres to the Michelin Primacy 4 ST, which has made quite a big difference to the braking of the car, as well as tyre noise.

Attachment 2328197
Question - were the original tyres MRF ZVTV Ecotred? I'm getting delivery of my steed this coming Sunday and after reading your post was curious as to what actual difference would be on replacing the tyres? I read that road noise and braking has improved.

1. Would you elaborate more on the perceptible/actual difference please and would it void any warranty if we replace the tyres?
2. I scouted local tyre shops on the replacements costs, one shop recommended Continental UC6 (haven't done my research on how good/bad will it be for Altroz) and quoted about INR 8k for a 4 tyre set, post exchange. Do share what was the cost which you incurred for your car's new shoes?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-20221021_140122.jpg  

djay434 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 12:59   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
Question - were the original tyres MRF ZVTV Ecotred? I'm getting delivery of my steed this coming Sunday and after reading your post was curious as to what actual difference would be on replacing the tyres? I read that road noise and braking has improved.

1. Would you elaborate more on the perceptible/actual difference please and would it void any warranty if we replace the tyres?
2. I scouted local tyre shops on the replacements costs, one shop recommended Continental UC6 (haven't done my research on how good/bad will it be for Altroz) and quoted about INR 8k for a 4 tyre set, post exchange. Do share what was the cost which you incurred for your car's new shoes?
Yes, the factory tyres were the Ecotreds.

I don't quite know how good/bad the Ecotreds were because I changed them right after delivery (ran about 20 kms max). I was quite sure that the factory tyres would be noisy and not have enough grip and braking efficiency. No, the warranty won't be void by tyre change.

What I can tell you about the Michelins is that they are supremely quiet at triple-digit speeds and have exceptional braking ability.

I paid 20k for the set of four Michelin Primacy tyres + the original MRF tyres. From what I've read the Contis are pretty good too. Check out the tyre thread on Team-BHP, there have been quite a few reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
iTurbo still has the badging at the back - here is mine during PDI, day before yesterday - planning to take delivery this coming Sunday in Gurgaon - Red/Black dual tone. Have verified that the unit isn't an old one, the Form 22 shared by the dealership shows the manufacturing date as September 2022 and sold to the dealership on 30th September, 2022 - freshest it can be. Had it not been the lackadaisical attitude of the company lease executive - would've taken the delivery 1 week earlier itself, alas it wasn't to be!
That's a gorgeous color! Congrats on the purchase

The iTurbo and DCA have their respective badging at the back. The NA and Diesels don't.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th November 2022 at 13:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks.
SavoyWalrus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 10:46   #366
BHPian

With my 100th post on this forum, I'm ecstatic to share with all the fellow BHPians that I have brought home a Harbour Blue Altroz i-Turbo XZ+, this festive season. Many thanks to the moderators for the detailed reviews and the community for the enlightened discussion on the forum. Special shoutout to BHPians PrasannaDhana and yesyeswe for their inputs the forum discussions as well as for addressing my queries over DM. Prasanna sir's painstakingly maintained car and thread are what cemented my confidence in the Altroz as a product.

As some of the members here might remember, I had been scouting for decent 7-seater options (The perfect 7-seater SUV / MPV under 25 lakhs) to retire our trusty Hyundai i10 iRDE for the past year and a half. But due to extenuating circumstances (that will be elaborated in the initial ownership report) the upgrade was put on hold and it was decided that a larger hatch would instead be replacing the i10. After a lot of brainstorming, test drives, and convincing the family, the Altroz i-Turbo emerged as the clear winner.

I booked the car on October 16th, received it on October 26th, and I headed out for a quick trip over the weekend with the family. Having clocked around 450 km since delivery, these are a few initial observations about the car that I've penned down:
  • The Harbour Blue shade is absolutely stunning, and manages to draw a lot of attention to what is essentially a now-familiar ~3 year-old design.
  • Solid build, inside out. There are a few rough edges, but everything feels well screwed together. But panel gaps galore, inside out. Not only do those look weird, but also serve as cavities of dust that are really tough to reach and clean.
  • The shape is a dust magnet. Not only is it an aesthetic concern, but both windshields accumulate a lot of grime, thus hampering visibility, and require periodic wiping.
  • The driving position is spot-on with the height-adjustable seat, padded elbow rest, wide footwell, big ORVMs, and perfectly positioned gear lever. The A and C pillars cause massive blind spots, though.
  • The clutch pedal is placed higher than the other two, causing the left foot to rest at an awkward angle. Shuffling between the clutch and the dead pedal feels a bit unnatural. It also doesn't help that the clutch has a very high bite point, and will keep slipping unless one takes the left foot off entirely.
  • No telescopic adjustment for the steering is a huge miss. The aforesaid pedal position can be alleviated by pushing the seat further back, but the steering wheel would be a stretch.
  • Engine refinement is not as bad as it is made out to be in several reviews. Noisy, sure, but smooth all the same. There are some vibrations on the pedals and the gear lever, too.
  • The snappy fuelling issue still exists, especially on lifting off the throttle in the first two gears. One needs to slip the clutch a bit for smoother transitions, or jerks would be felt. Gearshift quality is alright, if a bit waxy and notchy at times (especially the downshift from 3rd to 2nd).
  • The engine is definitely NOT a scorcher; just about adequate. Sport mode does liven things up a bit and help with quick overtakes, but one needs to plan the moves on single-carriage undivided roads. City mode feels severely restricted and only good enough for dense traffic scenarios.
  • The engine also does not rev freely, and coming from a Hyundai 1.1 iRDE engine, this is going to take a lot of time to get used to. This also requires one to mash the throttle, thus hurting the already mediocre fuel efficiency. The car has just run ~450 km, and I'm hoping major improvements as it racks up miles and after the services.
  • The bonnet and front of the car gets insanely hot due to the placement of the turbocharger and the intercooler. Sort of a design flaw from safety perspective; one must exercise caution around these areas after a long drive.
  • The steering is tight, wonderfully fluid, and weighs up nicely with speed. Feels great to grip, too. Handling is great but the stock MRF ZVTV play spoilsport; giving up grip way too early and causing a lot of road noise. This was audible even with music playing and AC blower at level 3. I would upgrade to either the Michelin Primacy P4ST or Continental UC6 once the stock set wears out.
  • The suspension is firm, but silent. Bump recovery is phenomenal, and damping is very well-judged. The low 55 profile and high 35 psi recommended pressure (full load) are contributors to the stiff ride.
  • The cabin is roomy enough and ergonomically sorted, with supportive front seats. The rear seats could have been more reclined, though. The space between the B-pillar and rear seat base feels insufficient for shoe sizes 10 and above; might get stuck during ingress / egress. The door sill is also wide by hatchback standards.
  • Fabulous sound quality on a less-than-perfect ICE system. It froze a couple of times while using Android Auto. Also, some audio source remains on by default (mostly FM), and I haven't yet found a way to make it not play music at start up. Any pointers would be appreciated! Also, I abhor Tata's decision to delete the physical buttons for the ICE system.
  • The headlights are adequate. Low beam projectors have good spread and sharp cut-off. High beams and fog lamps are mediocre, though. Would be contemplating a HID / LED upgrade in due course.
I shall be posting a much detailed initial ownership review of the car very soon, but until then, enjoy the pictures!

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-166688279847601.jpeg
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-166706420469801.jpeg
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-166688246739501.jpeg
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-img_20221026_132715.jpg
RoverX is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 11:08   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
With my 100th post on this forum, I'm ecstatic to share with all the fellow BHPians that I have brought home a Harbour Blue Altroz i-Turbo XZ+, this festive season.
Having clocked around 450 km since delivery, these are a few initial observations about the car that I've penned down:
Congratulations on your new ride! Best wishes for many happy trips with the Altroz!

Thanks for penning down a detailed but very unbiased review of the car. Though this Tata model has met with good success, I don't remember seeing many i-turbo variants on the roads. Probably unlike us so called enthusiasts, others like the 1.2 NA engine along with an otherwise great car.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 13:47   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride! Best wishes for many happy trips with the Altroz! I don't remember seeing many i-turbo variants on the roads.
Thanks a ton for your kind wishes, ashis89! The NA engine struggles hopelessly with a full load, and the diesel simply isn't justified given my limited running. If Tata's own disclosures are to be believed, 85% of the Altroz's sales come from the NA petrol. That leaves less than 700 cars for the iTurbo, DCA, and diesel. It's kinda fun to be a part of a rare clan!
RoverX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 13:02   #369
BHPian

Quote:
With my 100th post on this forum, I'm ecstatic to share with all the fellow BHPians that I have brought home a Harbour Blue Altroz i-Turbo XZ+, this festive season.
Congratulations on the car! That's a fantastic colour. Are you considering going in for a PPF? I decided against it because mine's white, but I think the PPF would bring out the bright blue brilliantly.

The fuelling issue seems to be a problem that could maybe be fixed with a remap. I've noticed it mostly only in City mode and I've sort of found a way to work around it. I guess over time you may find those weak spots.
SavoyWalrus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 14:26   #370
BHPian

Thank you very much, SavoyWalrus!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
Congratulations on the car! That's a fantastic colour. Are you considering going in for a PPF? I decided against it because mine's white, but I think the PPF would bring out the bright blue brilliantly.
You're right, PPF on a white car is bound to turn yellowish with time; not to mention the clouding effect of the film that robs the natural sheen of the paint. I've been scouting several forums and online groups for the best paint protection option - PPF, Graphene Coating, Ceramic Coating, etc. Many users have reported that the graphene coating lasts the longest, protects the paint surface, and reduces the dust build-up issue of the Altroz by as much as 90%. Still need to verify these claims; any pointers from the community members would be much appreciated!
RoverX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 21:05   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

[*]The Harbour Blue shade is absolutely stunning, and manages to draw a lot of attention to what is essentially a now-familiar ~3 year-old design.
True. I wanted a blue shade when I bought my Indica in 2007. Dad vetoed it. So when I found a blue etios liva, that was one of the many reasons i went for it More here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-report.html (Pre-owned 2017 Toyota Etios Liva | Ownership Report)

Quote:
[*]The driving position is spot-on with the height-adjustable seat, padded elbow rest, wide footwell, big ORVMs, and perfectly positioned gear lever. The A and C pillars cause massive blind spots, though.
The Altroz, apart from the Powertrains is awesome. if it had a desirable engine, would be enough to make me reconsider buying a Tata.

Quote:
Engine refinement is not as bad as it is made out to be in several reviews. Noisy, sure, but smooth all the same. There are some vibrations on the pedals and the gear lever, too.
Didn't notice it that much. Probably I have a very low baseline compared to its ancestor that i Drive
Quote:
The snappy fueling issue still exists, especially on lifting off the throttle in the first two gears. One needs to slip the clutch a bit for smoother transitions, or jerks would be felt. Gearshift quality is alright, if a bit waxy and notchy at times (especially the downshift from 3rd to 2nd).
This was what was the main deal breaker for me. People here complain about head not effect in AMT's - I've experienced that and to me this jerking on throttle liftoff felt worse. I have been putting up with it on my Indica for 15 years and was totally fed up of it. The weirder thing was that it was inconsistent. One TD car had it, and the other TD car didn't. Even in the Indica nobody knows how it happens or a fix for it. I was not interested in paying 10L to continue having the same experience. It was noisy too - at least more than the 4 cyl offerings from Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota/Honda. only 3 cyl which i was open to considering was the i20 nline for which the noise has a purpose
Quote:
The engine is definitely NOT a scorcher; just about adequate. Sport mode does liven things up a bit and help with quick overtakes, but one needs to plan the moves on single-carriage undivided roads. City mode feels severely restricted and only good enough for dense traffic scenarios.
Agree to this too - while it can keep going on and on to high speeds, in gear acceleration was very leisurely and my butt dyno felt that the Etios was better. Heck my old Indica turbo was better.

Quote:
The bonnet and front of the car gets insanely hot due to the placement of the turbocharger and the intercooler. Sort of a design flaw from safety perspective; one must exercise caution around these areas after a long drive.
Very strange - again this doesn't happen in my Indica turbo - amazing Tata was able to make something worse in a new car than its older model

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th November 2022 at 21:11.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 15:42   #372
BHPian

The iTurbo has completed a year and exactly 10,000 kilometres since I bought it in December 2021. The car has served me well and I haven't encountered any issues thus far.

It has primarily been used on the highway (I work from home, so no commutes for me) and has been fantastic for long-distance drives (quite a few 8-10+ hour journeys). The suspension works well at high speeds, seats are pretty comfortable, ample space for all passengers, superb AC, plenty of cubby holes, huge door pockets, and a spacious glove box (can easily store three 1-litre bottles and the cooling is excellent), and decent power to keep it in triple-digit speeds.

The engine -- as mentioned by most owners and reviewers -- is sort of a weak point; it could've been a brilliant package with a little more torque. There's ample power to chug along on the highway, but you'll have to change gears quite a bit in the hills. There's also the very annoying momentary hesitation down low in the rev range.

Fuel economy has been pretty consistent -- 13-14 in the city and 15-16 on the highway. I run the car with AC almost all the time so I'm happy with these figures.

I haven't done any modifications to the car (this is the top-spec XZ+) apart from underbody rust protection, Michelin Primacy 4 tyres, and swapped the stock wheels for Momo Revenge wheels.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-altroz.png

Name:  1.png
Views: 853
Size:  225.6 KB

There was a little bit of rattling from the roofliner at triple-digit speeds which was rectified during service. The gearbox was a little clunky in the first few months of ownership, but that was mostly sorted out during one of the services and I've kind of gotten used to working around the clunkiness.

I have a few mods planned for the car which I'll probably do in the next year or so.

-- Sound deadening to reduce the engine noise in the cabin.
-- Dechrome some bits up front
-- Get sportier pedals; these make an annoying squeaky noise at times
-- Remap (after the warranty expires)
-- A sportier endcan (like the ones in the JTP)

I'm in two minds about getting lowering springs -- Bangalore roads are terrible and the Altroz is already lower than most hatchbacks, but it would give it a nice stance and improve handling a little.

Will probably get a downpipe later down the road.

Happy with the car so far and hope to put in more kilometres in the next few months!
SavoyWalrus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 16:52   #373

I too am an owner of iTurbo, I have done about 14k kilometres and averaging about 9-10 kmpl in city and about 16-17kmpl on highway. There is some rattling from left side of the dashboard which I have complained to the service centre but to no avail. Other than that I am happy with my purchase.
Old 7th January 2023, 11:00   #374
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz Sport variant to debut at Auto Expo 2023.

Quote:
- Will boast the Nexon’s 120PS, 1.2-litre turbo-petrol engine with 6MT

- Will get cosmetic tweaks to stand out from regular Altroz.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 13:14   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Altroz Sport variant to debut at Auto Expo 2023.
TML's incremental release of power and gears finally bears down on the Altroz.
I am sure it will get some sales but didn't they already lose significant ground to the i20 N-Line ? Not sure if Nexon's 1.2 can be termed "sporty".

Will wait for the release to see if some magic has happened under the hood.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks