Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2022, 13:10   #316

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

If it's just NA engine then, why would Tata advertise as gold standard etc. Hope they live upto the hype created by Advertisement
Old 1st March 2022, 13:41   #317
BHPian

I drive a Tata Punch and I can say that the weakest element of the whole package is the engine, as it is terribly under-powered. This engine should not be used for any car other than Tiago/Tigor, as it will spoil whatever good reviews you have for the rest of the car.

DCT is not going to do any good for the car, since the engine can only do so much. The engine is clearly the bottleneck here.

It is rumored that they didn't go for Turbo+DCT option as it proved to be too expensive and the price became comparable to i20 Turbo DCT. IMHO, they should still go ahead with this combo, as the customers have slowly evolved now to pay more for safety than additional features.
Ashar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 14:37   #318
Senior - BHPian

Rapid response from Tata, post launch of new Baleno too little, too late?

Baleno will surely set benchmarks in the segment atleast in terms of features, if not for the build strength of Altroz alongside a Diesel engine which are the 2 plus for Tata! Petrol engine performance, any day K series outperforms Tata’s Petrol lineup!
Old 1st March 2022, 14:46   #319
Senior - BHPian

Tata Altroz Automatic bookings open unofficially

It appears that Tata Motors is gearing up to launch the Altroz automatic soon as reports suggest that some dealerships have started accepting pre-bookings. It is said that the new variant may cost around Rs 1 lakh more than the Altroz MT.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-2021tataaltrozturbo01.jpg

The Altroz automatic is expected to be powered by the 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine instead of the more powerful turbo-petrol unit. The former makes 85 BHP and 113 Nm and could be paired with a dual-clutch automatic transmission.

The Altroz automatic will go up against the Hyundai i20, which also gets a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic option. The recently launched Maruti Suzuki Baleno, however, has dropped the CVT option for a 5-speed AMT this time around.

Source: Zigwheels

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 15:53   #320
BHPian

In all probability the number of people who decided against buying the Altroz due to a lack of automatics is way higher than the number people who wanted more power. Not all buyers are enthusiasts, so I'm neither surprised nor unhappy about the (as of yet unconfirmed) decision.
sravankrishnan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 17:07   #321
BHPian

This looks like a strategy to avoid price shock (or to create affordability perception) similar to what Mahindra did with XUV700 by initially launching lower spec engine at lower price point.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 18:26   #322
BHPian

Finally, Altroz is going to get the Automatic! It took too long for this. I’ll hold my reservations till Tata officially announces more information on this. Hopefully they will deliver the “Gold standard”.
Old 1st March 2022, 19:43   #323
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps they have tested it and found that a quick shifting DCT is able to offset any potential lethargic response? Let's see how the reviews come out before dismissing it outright.
Old 1st March 2022, 22:08   #324
BHPian

Great news, so when we can expect Nexon DCT ? Nexon sales will be skyrocketed again? Interesting times ahead.
Old 1st March 2022, 22:43   #325
BANNED

Whoever has decided against giving DCT in the turbo petrol variant is a rank idiot! A person ready to buy an automatic won’t be bothered much about another lakh or so for the same in turbo variant. Extremely disappointed, here goes my plan of buying Altroz down the drain. My current automatic has 110 bp and 140 nm torque, I don’t think the NA motor with DCT can match the power of my current one. So it will be a lethargic downgrade in terms of performance!
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 00:05   #326

A very hot topic to discuss about, finally Tata has planned of offering an automatic transmission to their premium hatchback the Altroz, I won’t make any assumptions until anything official comes up from their side, Rumours regarding N.A Petrol and a Dct are spreading all over the Internet, but what I’m praying about is that they offer the automatic gearbox in their turbo petrol and diesel variants rather than the naturally aspirated counterpart, because if they have a diesel automatic in that respective segment it can be a game changer for them and Turbo petrol with dct can give the i20 a great competition but needless to say there’s a market looking for an automatic greater than a market looking for power or in simple words people who want an Altroz Petrol with automatic transmission and don’t even care what type of automatic gearbox it is Cvt, Amt or Dct, people who just want an automatic for the convenience part for daily driving that includes only Home-Office and Office-Home drives accompanied by traffic jams and all, for such buyers it can be a great option, nevertheless Turbo Petrol and would be a better combination but still, fingers crossed let’s hope for some official and good news from Tata Motors.
Vedantoyota75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 01:17   #327
Senior - BHPian

One step at a time, I guess.

Wishful thinking would be that Tata, at a later stage, decides to plonk the same 120 ps engine with DCT in Nexon, Punch and Altroz.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:29   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sravankrishnan View Post
In all probability the number of people who decided against buying the Altroz due to a lack of automatics is way higher than the number people who wanted more power. Not all buyers are enthusiasts, so I'm neither surprised nor unhappy about the (as of yet unconfirmed) decision.
The DSG/dual clutch transmissions are usually associated with high output/performance engines may be that is why Tata's decision to stick it to lackluster 1.2NA engine is confounding. Not that the turbo engine is setting streets on fire but still. The DSG is clearly a better choice for turbo variant.

A normal TC AT would have taken care of whole AT business sufficiently if Tata just wanted an AT while also being relatively reliable, cost effective.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:45   #329
BHPian

The only silver lining in this announcement: good chance that nexon also will get DCT gearbox in the near future. I remember they've been testing it for over a year.
Old 2nd March 2022, 12:16   #330

Towards the end of last year, I stopped short of buying the Altroz due to the non availability of the automatic transmission. So yes, I surely am one of the potential customers who would have bought an automatic in whichever engine combo last year. I would surely love to check out this one when it launches, though, now I am also gonna check out the new Baleno. Unfortunately, as many have said here before, Tata has been late with this offering.
tsniranjan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks