Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 22:34   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

I won’t be surprised if this outsells Safari as people would definitely buy this like hot cakes just like Creta. Features offered are in plenty and most buyers out there want maximum features.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 23:21   #77
BHPian

Great review as always!

Given Hyundai's dealership network, the Alcazar should do 3-5k units per month. How much it cannibalizes the Creta- i would think probably 10% - or half of the owners opting for the top end Creta variants. My assumption here is 20% of Cretas sold are top end/minus one category.

Personally though, i think the only USP Alcazar has is it's petrol 7 seater auto. There is very little competition in the petrol 7 seater space in this price range. No petrol Safari, and Hector offers a 6 seater with a mediocre engine, and the XUV500 is at it's end of life. Competition will arrive soon though in the form of the XUV700 petrol 7 seater.

Prospective diesel owners will opt for the Safari or Hector, so i would think petrol:diesel sales ratio for the Alcazar may be 70:30.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 04:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Disappointed with the package!
I was looking forward to "upgrade" from my fantastic 4.5 Year old Hexa to the Alcazar.
Yes, its feature laden when compared to the Hexa, but the space inside is a real let down.

What say? Is it still a worthy move from Hexa to Alcazar?
Even Safari can't replace Hexa and you are talking about puny Alcazar with limited space. Only options you have are Crysta, Fortunner, Endeavour and Carnival. Nothing else will help you with at least with space and engine refinement coming from Hexa.
abhijet.sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 11:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

Is the panaromic sunroof same size as Creta? Also wondering if the Alcazar 360 camera is compatible and can be retrofitted on Creta? How much will it cost?
Old 27th June 2021, 17:09   #80
BHPian

So, it has a diesel engine that has similar specs as of Tata Nexon and lower specs than XUV300, not so comfortable 2nd and 3rd rows seating, an ugly front, and competing with the likes of Tata Safari, Toyota Innova, and XUV500. I don't think people buy petrol variants of 7-seaters. Even for Creta, much of the sales come from diesel motors. Looks like a desperate attempt from Hyundai to launch a 7-seater by following the footsteps of Tata (Harrier/Safari). Nonetheless, it has a lot of features and a much loved (hyped) sunroof. Maybe not for its fundamentals, but it will sell in good numbers for its features. The only thing I liked about this car is its rear which looks inspired by Tata Hexa and some cars from the VW family.
itsbaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 18:26   #81
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

Hyundai Alcazar Review

Hyundai Alcazar Cons

• Some misses (no petrol AT 7-seater variant, auto wipers, illuminated window buttons, full-size spare tyre on top trims etc.)
I'm literally splitting my head from incessant laughing, after reading the items highlighted in bold - it's a hyundai & I can't believe that there was indeed a decision taken during a "alcazar-feature-list-finalize" product planning meeting, to actually omit rain-sensing wipers and illuminated-window-buttons (oh.my.god) inorder to save cost. What other reason could it be ? The only other reason I can think of is if someone missed these two features in the "final approved list" while sending out the meeting minutes email. It's laughably ridiculous. In a 25 lac Hyundai. For india.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 08:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Disappointed with the package!
I was looking forward to "upgrade" from my fantastic 4.5 Year old Hexa to the Alcazar.
Yes, its feature laden when compared to the Hexa, but the space inside is a real let down.

What say? Is it still a worthy move from Hexa to Alcazar?
I think you actually meant 'downgrade' from the Hexa to this Hyundai. Why on earth will you leave a RWD automatic with a reasonably powerful engine for a hatchback/MUV front wheel only medicore diesel? Hope you are not looking at the bling bling like the digital instrument, blind spot camera and sunroof? If you are gunning for the turbo petrol, be aware that at reasonable speeds you will get single digit fuel economy and nothing more.
Honestly the only upgrade to a Hexa will be an Endeavour.
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 09:22   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I can't believe that there was indeed a decision taken during a "alcazar-feature-list-finalize" product planning meeting, to actually omit rain-sensing wipers and illuminated-window-buttons (oh.my.god) inorder to save cost. What other reason could it be ?
The reason is Alcazar is a Creta with few extra design elements and accessories. Most of parts are shared with it's smaller sibling. If Creta didn't have it, it's highly likely that Hyundai wouldn't design and manufacture something for Alcazar. What was a con for Creta remains a con for this too.

As for the price, Hyundai must have thought since Creta(with similar cons) sells like hot cakes at 22L, Alcazar can pull in decent numbers at 25L.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 10:21   #84
Senior - BHPian

I do not understand the bashing of Hyundai pricing structure (for that matter any other car manufacturer). For me, it is all supply/demand and what the customer is willing to pay. Companies are here to make money and if they have created a goodwill and market leadership then they can command a certain price. It is up to the customers to decide whether they think it is worth their money. Many of the comments here look like accusations that the car manufacturers are fleecing customers by putting a gun to their head to buy over priced cars. Sorry but I do not get this argument..

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 28th June 2021 at 10:25.
Aviator_guy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:39   #85

Great review.

I am in the minority when it comes to Alcazar Diesel pricing justification. Creta is definitely overpriced and from Hyundai's standpoint Creta was the reference point for pricing Alcazar. Considering that Alcazar had to be priced considerably higher than Creta, these current Alcazar prices are justifiable especially for those who are foreseeing an upgrade. Besides, comparing Alcazar pricing with older generations SUVs like XUV isn't justified. I am very confident that the upcoming new gen SUVs like Ford C segment SUV, XUV-700, and new generation Innova Crysta (to be launched in 2022) will be priced higher than their current generation cars. To top it all, cars like Creta which we BHPians call overpriced are selling like hotcakes with months of waiting period. Obviously there is tremendous confidence among carmakers to follow these premium pricing strategies.

Although engine specs of Alcazar diesel are not exciting for an enthusiast, but any prospective buyer who visits a showroom and test drives a Diesel Alcazar may not complain of lack of power. Maybe in steep ghat sections, the lack of power might be evident, but that won't deter an average buyer from ruling out Alcazar completely. Conceding the other players in the segment to be Mahindra and Tata, an average buyer will be more inclined towards Hyundai. Hyundai I think has hit the bulls eye (I know, I am in minority to say this).
Shalom1506 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 13:25   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I really don't understand why this car exists to be honest.
It exists to that you can show to your friends and neighbors that you have car that "bigger" than the ubiquitous Creta. And it will sell in Loads and Loads for that reason.
AyushB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 10:50   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalom1506 View Post
Great review.

I am in the minority when it comes to Alcazar Diesel pricing justification. Creta is definitely overpriced and from Hyundai's standpoint, Creta was the reference point for pricing Alcazar. Considering that Alcazar had to be priced considerably higher than Creta, these current Alcazar prices are justifiable especially for those who are foreseeing an upgrade
Can't agree more and recall how I20 started to feel VFM when Jazz was launched in 2009. "A hatch costing more than Sedan"

Alcazar will sell and especially in Tier 2/3 cities where cars are bought for neighbors' envy and owners' pride.
Old 1st July 2021, 12:57   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post
Can't agree more and recall how I20 started to feel VFM when Jazz was launched in 2009. "A hatch costing more than Sedan"
Exactly what I went through in March 2010 when I booked the i20, after considering the Jazz. Both were pricier than the then popular "DZire". Once the pricing and tech specs for Jazz were revealed, it was immediately dropped from my list and took a test drive of the i20, and booked it subsequently for the facelift version coming out in April 2010.

Interestingly, the price difference to top model with 6 airbags and added sunroof was just 35K INR, from the lower version with 2 airbags. So equipping a car with additional airbags in 2021 is not at all a costly affair for Hyundai, its just that they are charging an unjustified premium - to sell the overpriced top variants to people who won't compromise on safety.
Old 1st July 2021, 18:59   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
Exactly what I went through in March 2010..

Interestingly, the price difference to top model with 6 airbags and added sunroof was just 35K INR, from the lower version with 2 airbags. So equipping a car with additional airbags in 2021 is not at all a costly affair for Hyundai, its just that they are charging an unjustified premium - to sell the overpriced top variants to people who won't compromise on safety.
One must also keep in mind the silent demon "inflation'. What was costing 35k 11 years ago won't cost the same now. Also, car variants are not only priced for the accessories they carry but the margin company wants to keep considering the client profile and demand. There is more than just component cost that goes behind the pricing. That's why some variants may seem VFM but others will look too pricey.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 22:01   #90
BHPian

Finally got the delivery of Alcazar

The model we have opted for is Prestige (O) Diesel AT 7 STR.
Initially we booked Creta SXO D AT but I always felt Creta was overpriced as the base model starts at 9.99 Lakhs and goes all the way till 17.65 Lakhs.
I also started a thread related to this and which one should I opt for, link to the thread is below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...-vs-creta.html (Hyundai Alcazar vs Creta)

Though for a family of 4, Creta would have been a good choice but major reasons for us opting for Alcazar are :
1) Looks better. Everyone in my family felt that Alcazar looked better.
2) Tan seats. They do add a premium feel to the interiors. They aren't leather as in Creta SXO and top end variants of Alcazar but seats look good and beige shade of Creta's seats do require more care.
3) Added 3rd row/more bootspace. Many would say that it is hardly usable but from what we felt is that kids or people with height of 5'4 or below can sit quite comfortably.
4) Quite compact even after having 7 seats (4.5 mtr)
4) Lesser waiting period. This has to be the main reason for opting for Alcazar rather than Creta. It had already been 4+ months since we were waiting for Creta and still my dealer told me that it could be a couple of months more till I get the car. As soon as Alcazar launched and I noticed the minimal price difference I went to checkout the car and I liked it.

Booking experience
We were tired of waiting for the car and wanted to get our hands on it as soon as possible. What we did was call almost all dealers in Delhi/Haryana/NCR region and asked about the booking period and told them we wanted one as early as possible. After about 30 calls we found Harsh Hyundai, Rewar and the SA told me that he has the exact same model I want coming in tomorrow(20 June). As a weekend was falling in between and he didn't have the car as of now I told him to call me on Monday, when he has received the car and hold it for me till I send the booking amount. We paid 50K as booking amount and as my father was busy the whole week and Rewari is around 90 odd kilometres from our home, he would require a day off for the delivery of the car. We were expecting to take the delivery of the car in 1st week of July only but yesterday(30 June) I got a call from my SA saying that the road tax in Haryana is going to be increased by 4% i.e. from 8% to 12%, the difference came out to be around 70K and as we had the amount ready we transferred him the amount and went today to get the car.

This is our first look at the car.

Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_3751.jpg

Attachment 2173685

I liked the alloys of base variant(Prestige) more than that of higher variants. Attaching images for reference

Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_3750.jpg

Prestige and Prestige (O) alloys.

Hyundai Alcazar Review-screenshot-20210701-9.23.17-pm.png

Alloys of Platinum and Signature variants.

Though Prestige has 17 inch alloys but ride quality is good.

I booked the car without test driving it, as I had test drove Creta turbo petrol and diesel automatic earlier and felt that diesel didn't provide any exceptional thrill in Creta and neither would provide any thrill in Alcazar. I knew the only car that would have made the enthusiast inside me happy would have been Octavia but it was out of question due to higher price and it being a petrol AT.

I visited Tata showroom twice to testdrive Harrier/Safari but both were unavailable once and the other time they seemed to have misplaced the keys. I wanted to avoid Tata as of now because :
1) Many niggles reported by user
2) Poor mileage in city
3) To get diesel AT we would have to spend more and the XMA variant which was in our price bracket was quite barebones.
4) Quite long for city usage

Initial impressions after driving car for 100 kms.
1) Quick gearshifts. The gearshifts are quite fast and you wouldn't feel any jerk too.
2) Diesel AT in no way is underpowered. It doesn't provide that fun to drive element but in no way it feels underpowered. For highway usage just put the car in sports mode and it is good to go.
3) Easy to drive. Steering is light as it is in other Hyundai cars and driving it in city traffic also feels easy. Though would require a week to settle to the dimensions of the car.
4) Loved the panoramic sunroof. Panoramic sunroof was a major reason for us to choose Creta over Seltos. It does light up the cabin and does add that airy feeling in the car too. It also adds that luxury feeling to the car.
5) Drive modes does affect the throttle output though not as much in Creta 1.4 turbo petrol but difference is noticeable.
6) Mileage we got was 14 km/l with mixed of city and highway usage.
7) Seats are quite comfortable and the 2nd row seats recline to a good angle for more comfort. Haven't though of adding seat covers as of yet.
8) Suspension is quite soft.

Would add more inputs as we use the car
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_3748.jpg  

Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_3745.jpg  

Jatin247 is offline   (36) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks