Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2023, 07:06   #826
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
Tried a lot to find the source of the noise, but in vain.
Another potential source are the seat headrests. When these are in elevated position, they are not tightly couples with the seat. Driven over potholes, these seat headrests do cause noise. It is not major though.
Old 17th July 2023, 15:41   #827
pms
BHPian

Got hold of my vehicle on 13th July. Delivery Experience was good overall . SA made sure it was well organized, though rain played some spoilsport in between.

Got heavy rains just after the formalities followed by a slow nervous drive back home in bumper-to-bumper evening traffic in old airport road. Never driven one with so many alerts and electronics especially compared to my 2012 Honda City.

Sunday I took it out for a 100Kms round trip to the CCD in Hoskote. Got some feel of the vehicle on the highways and traffic. Very happy with the refinement, stability and the smoothness of the gearbox. I will write a detailed ownership review soon. Overall am happy with the purchase. Some pics added.

Ready for delivery
Hyundai Alcazar Review-20230713_173844.jpg

Balloons blown away by wind and rains.
Hyundai Alcazar Review-20230713_181852.jpg

At CCD near Hoskote
Hyundai Alcazar Review-20230716_120953.jpg

Hyundai Alcazar Review-20230716_121153.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar Review-20230716_120850.jpg  

Last edited by pms : 17th July 2023 at 15:44.
pms is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 19:31   #828
BHPian

Hyundai Alcazar Ownership Review

Hello Fellow Team-BHPians,

This is my Ownership review of my HYUNDAI ALCAZAR 6 Str 2.0 Petrol AT.
Bought this in July 2021.

We had been this using as the daily driver for about a year until the Harrier was bought.

Firstly, I’ll share the Pros then the Cons and lastly how I feel about the car so far. Throughout the entire post, my only aim is to give Hyundai and other stakeholders, my reviews and issues I faced with their products and they hopefully could act upon it (if it makes sense to them) to make Hyundai an even more amazing brand. I’m a fan of their idea of the above-segment features and ideas!

Hyundai Alcazar Review-alcazar-lights.jpg

The Pros:

• Right off the bat, The Interior, it’s just great!:

The ergonomics are well sorted, I have plenty of space to stow my phone on the side pockets of the door as they’re large enough for a 6.7-inch device, and the wireless charging space below the AC control also is well designed to keep other miscellaneous things as well, and not to forget a dedicated sunglass holder too only adds in making the overall cabin cluster free.

The rear seats get these tables and cup holders that aid in using laptops on the move and the sunshade helps keep up the privacy. There’s also wireless charging at the back with plenty of storage available under the armrest. Also, the small nets behind the front seats make it very easy to hold my AirPods and other small items.

The third row also gets a dedicated blower speed button which helps a lot in keeping the last row of passengers comfortable. Kudos to Hyundai for keeping this in mind, as other brands don’t even offer proper cooling in the second row.
Boot space with third rows folded is great, even with the last row up it is fairly adequate for small luggage, Never faced an issue there.

The infotainment screen is HD and works like a charm (mostly), sometimes it does show black screens and lags but that’s 2/10 times only. I get all related info with ease. The 360 Degree Camera does its job pretty well and helps in tight spaces, can see what's around with a click of a button, and the cameras especially on either side of the ORVM keep monitoring the wheels and make sure I see everything around the tires, making traffic driving and tight parking spot parking a breeze. Apple CarPlay being the highlight, it ups the cockpit experience. It utilizes the complete 10.25-inch display and makes driving easier, the maps are well and big, and music info is delivered in a great layout, all in all, simple and great.

BOSE Speaker system is punchy, clear and fun. New pop audios are a bliss to listen to as the bass nails the beats and makes the drive an even better experience, its also loud enough for my liking (goes upto 45VOL) and it does feel like a real 35 VOL at least unlike the case generally in some cars where the top end of volume makes no difference.

Driver infotainment is something my guest are fascinated by, and I can boast about it as well! It’s simply that high-tech. I get the driver info, Highline TPMS, compass, fuel economy and more in a few clicks, also the animations of the cluster are amazing. Switching to Sports Mode gives this whole video game feeling and dials turn red and in italics. It’s one of the best things in the car.

• The Exterior, Hits and Misses:

Talking about the overall design, it’s in between good and great. The front dark chrome grill does add to its character, the car feels premium on the outside because of it. The rear spoiler adds a sporty touch although it should have been an independent spoiler and not a connecting one through the C pillars like it is now, I feel it would’ve made it look much nicer. The footsteps on either side are an aid for senior citizens. The indicators could be all led considering the offerings of the competition. However at certain angles, the design seems to look like an MPV from the sides, not a big fan of this, certain things about the design and the lights, unfortunately, have to go into the Cons section and read through to find out.

• The Performance, Linear Pull :

The Smartstream G2.0 MPi CVVL (G4NM) Engine imported engine is quick and has instant pull lower down the rpm. It’s fairly punchy throughout the Rev range and has a better top end than the mid. As it goes past 3000RPM the motor starts acting enthusiastically and keeps pulling the 1.4Ton vehicle. However, it does get vocal.

City mode is fairly adequate as termed, for the city. Eco is recommended mostly as FE isn’t alright; more on this in Cons, Lastly the Sports Mode is great, gives me complete power and weighs up the steering wheel as well. It’s fun to drive in stretches and triple digits are fairly easy, The 6 Speed Torque Converter is smooth and doesn’t make the shifts be felt most of the time unless in Sport. Driving in the City is a piece of cake thanks to the light steering and peppy low end not to forget the ever-helpful 360 camera system. Overall this car packs a punch, delivers power as expected and somewhere deep down pumps up the adrenaline. It’s like the car doesn’t feel like its size in straight paths and the city.

• BlueLink, Absolute Convenience:

The car comes equipped with Hyundai’s BlueLink-connected car tech; in one word; it’s convenient. The remote start/stop, remote lock/unlock, ac controls, remote lights on/off, car location tracking and complete car health history along with tracked drives of the car (the speed, idle time etc.) is all a boon, especially if you’re giving your driver the car. There have been instances where the keys are at home, and I need to put some stuff in the car, I simply unlock it from the app, which saves time! , also when I’m out of station, I remotely switch on the car from anywhere in the world, so that the car stays usable. If only one thing that could be better is the network reception could be stronger, sometimes the car doesn’t respond to the BlueLink command

It also gets all 4 discs making the braking satisfactory, It’s a confidence-inspiring set of brakes. Great work there.

Hyundai Alcazar Review-alcazar-front.jpg

The Cons:

• Ride Quality, It’s Great and Plain BAD together:

In the initial days after delivery of the Alcazar I was amazed by the ride quality, it was plush and smooth in the city and glided through uneven paths (these aren’t broken routes or patches just that the road was more hollow at some places than the other). The rear seat comfort was really good, no issues at all. This is still somewhat the case in the city but not as smooth now as in the initial days; not sure if it’s the usage that leads to this or what( ODO at 26K km approx.).

Now the city part is manageable at least, things take a turn at the highway. I’ve got to commute approximately 125 km 3-4 days a week on concrete highways, and the overall ride quality was just not satisfactory. There are minor bumps and major ones too throughout the route at certain flyovers in the highway and the Alcazar just passes on every bump to the passengers with due diligence! I cruise at about 80-100kmph and the cabin shakes up when I encounter such scenarios, it magnifies as per the intensity of the bumps. I get it, the suspension is soft and city-oriented but if I’m buying an SUV it’s kind of obvious I’ll take the cross country or at least the highway sometime in its lifetime, in my case 3-4 days a week! And any vehicle in this price bracket is expected to behave a certain way regardless of the terrain, I’m not expecting a lot but at least good highway characteristics are a must.

Especially if the car is fully loaded, the suspension bottoms out in moderate bumps. It’s understandable for the vehicle to be bouncier at such loads but not as much.
To curtail these issues, I headed onto the internet and of course, Team-BHP for solutions and ended up with the ROGERABS, got them installed about 6 months ago. The ride quality became firmer and only helped in absorbing the bumps better due to the added stiffness, I didn’t feel any improvement in normal rides at any time. Sometimes felt that ride quality in the city was better before the BUFFERS and the only benefit I got was the reduction of jerks from the bump. I’m still using them but not sure what’s the way forward, I’m not completely satisfied with it as well.

• Dynamics, not much expected, none delivered:

SUVs aren’t the epitome of driving dynamics unless it’s a PORSCHE!
I didn’t expect much from it either, turning the Alcazar at higher speeds gives a slight feel that the car doesn’t want to turn only. I suppose it could be because of the wheelbase and placement of the wheels themselves. It’s also not much enthusiastic around the corner unlike one of its rivals. I did want a slightly better dynamic response but at the end of the day, it’s simply not there, maybe a future N-Line Alcazar (if it ever comes could probably sort this out by miles.)

• Fuel Efficiency, Gas Guzzler!:

In city driving the FE is approx 6-7kmpl in moderate traffic with the AC on. It’s a 2000cc engine so it’s expected to consume more fuel but this kind of consumption isn’t very pleasant economically. The highway is an average 12kmpl, at my best in Eco mode I extracted 17.5kmpl for the trip and shifted the overall FE to a 13.9kmpl however this was very light-footed driving at 80-90kmph speeds. Not practical at all times though. It could have been more efficient, not sure about the new Alcazar with the 1.5 TGDI, but I’ve read FE is better. I can deal with it, but better wouldn’t hurt anyone.

• Lights, Simply inadequate

The all-led headlamps aren’t enough for the roads at night, they leave a particularly dark spot further on the street, illumination and throw both can be improved by leaps and bounds, It’s good for flickering though. I’ve seen other brands’ cars half the price having LEDs with a better throw than these units, this issue has been faced by many but there isn’t any proper solution except for adding custom projectors to the fog lamps. However, warranty issues may prevail, hence didn’t even think about it. Managing with these units as I don’t have a viable option.

What I feel about the Alcazar:

First off, the reason for initially buying the Alcazar was due to its high-tech cockpit, sorted ergonomics, spaciousness & above segment features and honestly, it has delivered where it was required. I appreciate the pickup it has, the features & convenience it offers, and the spaciousness. Now it does leave me craving for better highway and driving dynamics but there is no perfect car. The Cons I’ve mentioned, if resolved, can make this my favourite car in its segment. Also, the design grows on you over time, As seen in International markets, Hyundai can deliver a much more sorted product and hopefully seeing newer cars with that level of attention to detail will only catapult the brand in terms of customer satisfaction and most other factors. This is my take on my Hyundai.

The HYUNDAI ALCAZAR.

Hyundai Alcazar Review-alcazar-rear.jpg

Thanks for the read.

Cheers,
Bil.007
bil.007 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 23:05   #829
oxo

Thanks for sharing your ownership review. I am a new member on Team-Bhp and looking for some guidance from fellow members.

We are a family of 3. Myself, my wife and 6 yr old son.

Currently driving WagonR CNG 2014 model. Want to upgrade to a 6/7 seater with automatic transmission.

Pre-owned is my preference with maximum budget of 20lacs. Coming for a Maruti I am looking for a hassle free experience where I have visit the ASS just once a year.

Recently did a test drive of Safari XZA. Only thing that my son and wife liked was the panaromic sunroof and also the 360 degree camera.
Pre-owned Safari options available have panoramic sunroof but miss out on the 360 degree camera.

That's when I came to know that Alcazar too has panoramic sunroof and also all other bells and whistles.

My monthly running would be maximum 500kms.

I have seen a Nov,2021 Alcazar Platinum 6 Str AT variant which is in my budget. It has all things that I am looking for.

Many folks have told on the forum that the 1.5l Diesel engine is under powered. For this even this power is sufficient.

Can you all pls assist me if I should go ahead with the purchase ? TIA
Old 19th July 2023, 08:57   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxo View Post
I have a diesel Signature AT, and never felt like underpowered in normal conditions. If you want more power, there’s always a sport mode available. 360 camera is super useful in tight spots and my kids loves pano sunroof.

But your low running of 500KM p.m doesn’t warrant a diesel in my opinion, especially with the infamous BS6 DPF issues. Also with only 3 members, I think 5 seaters like Seltos or the upcoming Creta have all the options you looking for.
rx100 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 09:09   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxo View Post

Many folks have told on the forum that the 1.5l Diesel engine is under powered. For this even this power is sufficient.

I have a Alcazar Signature AT Diesel 6 seater. We are a family of 3. Bought the car end of April 2022. The current ODO reading is close to 29000 kms and never ever did I feel the 1.5AT is underpowered.

Drove 50% on the highway and 50% in city. The engine is a gem and the AT is excellent. Driven in several hill stations as well (including Ooty, Munnar, etc) and no issue with power delivery ever.
Naetik30 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 11:12   #832
BHPian

Guys, need help on a few items, as we are contemplating moving away from a Hyundai Elantra to an SUV, that we never owned before. Alcazar, Creta, Seltos and Hector are the options being considered. Heart is with Alcazar , though we can wait until Creta facelift is unveiled. No hurry.

1. Every car upwards of 20 lakhs will soon boast of ADAS in the next 6m it appears. How useful really is ADAS if 80% of our driving is on Hyderabad city roads? is it worth spending a lakh or two to get that feature? this is a key factor for decision making, as Alcazar doesnt have one, while the other three will/have one.

2. How worrisome is the poor throw from the low/high beam lamps of Alcazar, as stated by multiple owners? Is it really bad, and has it been fixed with the recent feature lift that happened in March 2023?

On 1, we dont want to spend on tech if it is not useful . The 360 degree camera should work fine to get through tight spots. Do we really need the ADAS tech?

On 2, don't want to buy something, knowing it is unsafe during night driving, hoping an after market uplift, thereby putting warranty under risk.

Please advise.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 11:42   #833
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Guys, need help on a few items, as we are contemplating moving away from a Hyundai Elantra to an SUV, that we never owned before. Alcazar, Creta, Seltos and Hector are the options being considered. Heart is with Alcazar , though we can wait until Creta facelift is unveiled. No hurry.

Please advise.
If you can wait for another 8-9 months, then wait for Creta otherwise New Seltos is the best option. There won't be a drastic difference between the features of New Seltos and the upcoming Creta. Regarding ADAS, IMO some features are undoubtedly helpful, and they will make you a better driver, especially in the city traffic by adding an extra layer of safety measures. Though Automatic brake assist is not helpful for the Indian driving condition, forward collision warning, blind spot collision warning, safe exit warning, rear cross collision avoidance assist, etc have certainly helped me in city traffic. If budget permits, then choose the variant with ADAS. There is a separate thread on ADAS on the Team-bhp forum. You can refer to that as well for guidance.
aseem23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 11:56   #834
jsl
BHPian

Quote:

1. Every car upwards of 20 lakhs will soon boast of ADAS in the next 6m it appears. How useful really is ADAS if 80% of our driving is on Hyderabad city roads? is it worth spending a lakh or two to get that feature? this is a key factor for decision making, as Alcazar doesnt have one, while the other three will/have one.

2. How worrisome is the poor throw from the low/high beam lamps of Alcazar, as stated by multiple owners? Is it really bad, and has it been fixed with the recent feature lift that happened in March 2023?

On 1, we dont want to spend on tech if it is not useful . The 360 degree camera should work fine to get through tight spots. Do we really need the ADAS tech?

On 2, don't want to buy something, knowing it is unsafe during night driving, hoping an after market uplift, thereby putting warranty under risk.

Please advise.
1. ADAS is not very useful if your major driving is in the city as in heavy traffic the AEB will act weirdly. I have experienced the same while driving my friend’s MG Astor as during cutting through traffic the AEB and lane keep assist beep and interfere with the steering and brakes a lot.

2. Having driven the Creta with the same headlights I can say they are adequate for speeds up to 80-90km/hr but after that they start to feel inadequate and even after switching to High beam they don’t inspire confidence at high speeds. But as you drive 80% in the city the headlights are adequate for the same.

3. The 360 degree camera quality is superb on the Alcazar as well as the mg hector and it is adequate for manoeuvring through tight spots in the city.

4. I recommend you to skip the Hector in Petrol guise as the engine feels underpowered for such a huge car especially with CVT gearbox and also it has abysmal fuel economy in the city. Also hector is not available with a Diesel+AT combo and Diesel is not viable for you if you will be driving in the city due to famous DPF Issues.
So you should either look at the new Seltos if you can compromise on the space offered by the Alcazar or Alcazar if you can compromise a little on the headlights. Skip the Creta because it is due for a facelift.

Hope this helps!
jsl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 16:04   #835
BHPian

Quote:

Please advise.
I have an Alcazar AT (1.5 D). Response to your queries is based on my experience.
Point 1: 360 degree camera is definitely good. Parking / proximity sensors do help us with audio alarms. ADAS what I have seen in other cars will definitely help you on long drives specially lane assist and adaptive cruise control.

Point 2: Headlights are disappointing specially during rainy conditions.
maximus_fiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 18:29   #836
BHPian

I am always confused when one says the light throw is poor. What is the benchmark for light throw? What are we baselining it against? I often feel even my Elantra was inadequate at high speeds driving in the night. Therefore, i never cross 80 or max 90kpmh once it is dark, unless i find a car i can tail for some distance. So, do you think the concept is an abstract one? One feels it, but not sure about it. Also, is the light throw felt inadequate due to the infotainment system kept on, and the way it is oriented in Alcazar, is posing an interference with our vision? Have you tried driving on highways at higher speeds with infotainment completely shut? Just asking.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 19th July 2023 at 18:32.
Old 19th July 2023, 18:52   #837
Senior - BHPian

At 80 light throw is fine. When I need additional illumination, I switch to high beam when there is no vehicle ahead in the horizon. It has nothing to do with infotainment. During rains, being white light, you have to err on the side of caution.

I extensively drive at night in Madras suburbs and highways
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 19:36   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
At 80 light throw is fine. When I need additional illumination, I switch to high beam when there is no vehicle ahead in the horizon. It has nothing to do with infotainment. During rains, being white light, you have to err on the side of caution.

I extensively drive at night in Madras suburbs and highways
i think you raised a very valid point, often missed by drivers like me who never experienced driving with white lights on. Now, i can imagine how white lights can cause havoc to optics when it rains.
Old 21st July 2023, 13:07   #839
BHPian

The throw of headlights, while poor, does not affect city driving in anyway. But Highway driving, when there are no street lamps, at high speeds is definitely a challenge. You are fine if you are doing 70-80 or whatever the road speed limit is. But if you plan to do 100 Plus speeds in the night, you will find the headlight throw to be inadequate.
Old 22nd July 2023, 18:12   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ays7 View Post
You are fine if you are doing 70-80 or whatever the road speed limit is. But if you plan to do 100 Plus speeds in the night, you will find the headlight throw to be inadequate.

On a lighter note, this is a safety feature. The poor light throw, coupled with the lack of a 5 star rating safety ensures that we drive at sane speeds on our poorly lit roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks