Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2024, 12:34   #946
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBalenoGuy View Post

Gurkha as a vehicle is very unique and deserves the appreciation for its very existance as its aspired and desired by everyone, yet very selected few have the bravery to go and buy it.
Let's not get carried away here. The Gurkha is just a Cruiser with four wheel drive and a G-Wagon inspired body kit!

It's a decent machine, but certainly not aspirational! This is coming from someone who's put 1.05 L KMs on a 2014 edition of the Gurkha!
buzzy_boy is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 12:34   #947

Force sells enough Travelers, Toofans and Busses and should start developing engine of their own.

Same chutney in new bottle for years, this approach is truly limiting their potential. Gurkha is like a sidekick project of Force Motors, they can and they should do better.

I think I am being too harsh on Force Motors as Tata is also doing the same by not offering their own engine despite being a global player.
Bazooka1989 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 13:02   #948
BHPian

Hopefully, they will source and mate a torque converter to cater to a wider customer base.
Old 27th March 2024, 13:29   #949
BHPian

Interesting, Force Gurkha is no doubt a capable vehicle and not meant for everyone!

However I seriously wish the 5 door comes with better interiors than the current one which is too plain.
Old 27th March 2024, 15:17   #950
BHPian

Quote:
That is a very pessimistic and cynical way of seeing things.

Gurkha as a vehicle is very unique and deserves the appreciation for its very existance as its aspired and desired by everyone, yet very selected few have the bravery to go and buy it.
Well said. As clear as game set and match Ivanesivic.

As much as I appreciate MnM for the all new Thar, the Gurkha is its own.
sagsaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 15:19   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
Let's not get carried away here. The Gurkha is just a Cruiser with four wheel drive and a G-Wagon inspired body kit!

It's a decent machine, but certainly not aspirational! This is coming from someone who's put 1.05 L KMs on a 2014 edition of the Gurkha!
I do not think everyone understands what you meant by Cruiser.

So here it is, this is an updated one though, it has Toofan sticker, I could not find a good image with cruiser sticker.

Force Gurkha Review-fc.jpg

Last edited by Kosfactor : 27th March 2024 at 15:20.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 18:12   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Interestingly with Force Motors, I can almost see the future. They Thar 5 Door will get launched before the Gurkha 5 Door. From talking to insiders in Mahindra, the Thar 5-Door will be a completely different and superior product to the Thar 3-Door. Then Force will launch the Gurkha 5-Door with under powered engine and crude interiors.

By the time they design and make a proper Gurkha, the world would have moved to hydrogen powered cars :-)
It's sad because they had almost carved out their own niche before 2019 with the Ghurka Xtreme : a barebones but hardcore 4x4 with a cool 140hp engine. The only other option was the old Thar CRDE which was pretty basic too and it had way less power at 105hp.

It was a desirable upgrade over the thar CRDE.

I generally don't link reviews by Faisal but he is the only one who can showcase that increased HP from a driver POV camera.

But then bs6 norms came and they discontinued the 140hp ghurka xtreme and went back to the old 90hp engine. Mahindra then dealt the deathblow with the new and updated Thar which is 10 years ahead of the current ghurka. It also had a new 130hp diesel and 150 hp petrol engine which further made the Ghurka obsolete.

Unless they can come up with entire generational change + a way more powerful engine, I imagine the Ghurka isn't really going anywhere.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 18:51   #953
BHPian

Let's hope they stick to this iteration and engine tune for more than 3-4 years and keep refining the new model. As a Gurkha owner I don't find any other 4 metre SWB 4x4 as practical and comfortable. It has a great driving position with surprisingly great comfort and space compare to the rivals. Only if force committed to it like they do with the mainstream trax and travelers. For me fancy interiors and more than required specs have never been a priority. Call me old school and stupid but that's how I go about my vehicles. Even after 2 years of ups and downs with my Gurkha I can't find a better replacement for the size and segment.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-img20240327wa0001.jpg  

drjumbo is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 18:56   #954
BHPian

Quote:

And here we have this Gurkha standing out in the crowd unapologetically being its own very distinctive machine. That takes balls, and is a rare quality in new cars. That I appreciate. And as enthusiasts we all should.
Very well said, Sir. 'Character' - that's rare to find these days (meant in context of automobiles, but applies to people too, in general). An Amby or a 800 still turn heads. They are probably not meant for everyday use in today's conditions, although some still do. But one couldn't go and get one new. Gurkha's appeal - to those it does - is possibly the 'rawness' of it all. For comfort, convenience, and 'features', the market has plenty to offer.

And talking of features wishlist, for those who are into that kind of things, may want to keep fingers crossed for Force to cut a rectangular hole in the roof to accommodate a mandatory sunroof while they are at it. There seems to be plenty of space left uncovered in front of the roof carrier, as in the poorly photoshopped teaser pic
Mr.Fawlty is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 19:17   #955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
It's sad because they had almost carved out their own niche before 2019 with the Ghurka Xtreme : a barebones but hardcore 4x4 with a cool 140hp engine. The only other option was the old Thar CRDE which was pretty basic too and it had way less power at 105hp.
You want to bet against our BD Sir`s Thar, Hmm.

Today if you are to drive an Xtreme and CRDe, I think you would probably like the CRDe better, assuming you are a spirited driver. CRDe can keep up with the new Thar
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 19:50   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You want to bet against our BD Sir`s Thar, Hmm.

Today if you are to drive an Xtreme and CRDe, I think you would probably like the CRDe better, assuming you are a spirited driver. CRDe can keep up with the new Thar
Ah, I have driven the new thars but I'm afraid I haven't driven BD sir's masterpiece sadly. I used to be a pretty rash driver in my college days (I know I know) and I have a memorable incident of struggling to keep up with an old Thar CRDE in my i20 1.4 crdi while driving to Trivandrum.

This was back in the old days before the bs6 horsepower wars began. I could easily leave most cars in the dust (except luxury cars or Polo GTs). I was so surprised I immediately started looking up specs for the Thar after getting home. I always considered these blocky vehicles to be slow and cumbersome and this sudden change of perspective is when I also started looking up the Ghurka Xtreme. I considered getting the Xtreme for a while but then scrapped it after the engine downgrade.

Quote:
assuming you are a spirited driver
Ahem ahem, no comments.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 13:04   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourX4 View Post
We have got many dates and months of the launch. Proof of pudding is in eating. As per the article 3 door version will be tuned to 91BHP if it's true then it would be last nail in coffin. I would definitely go for THAR than slogging with 90BHP motor.
They do have the same engine in Traveller with a different tune - 114 bhp and 350 Nm, should have used it instead of the existing one. I think torque figures for this engine is impressive.

https://www.forcemotors.com/traveller-3050
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 15:38   #958
BHPian

Gurkha needs a new engine, no doubts about it, to expand its appeal to more number of people. It looks butch, is very capable off roader but has to keep up with the time as well. New engine will add to it's ability to cruise at a higher speed comfortably which is its Achilles heel at the moment. Add to it, quality and functional interiors, and reasonable list of features should make it a hit in semi urban and tier 2 towns like Bolero.
Old 29th March 2024, 07:56   #959
Senior - BHPian

The Gurkha replaced my Scross 1.6, the reduction in power was very much noticeable. Honestly, I do not have any regrets. It is one of the few BS6 vehicles that doesn’t require ADblue. That is the main reason why FM threw in the 90hp engine, and the same does duty on the traveller ambulance.
With various BS6 Diesel engines facing DPF clogging issues, the Gurkha stands high with close to nil issues in that aspect.
The Gurkha might not have any fancy features or electronics, and this is what I appreciate, call me ol-skool. Honestly speaking, I never get wooed with fancy features. It’s spacious, interiors might not be fancy but it never felt claustrophobic.
Of course, Gurkha has never been a fill it shut it forget it vehicle. It needs constant attention from the owner. My initial 6 months were filled with issues. My Gurkha used to wobble and pull towards the right when braking owing to a bad brake disc. The front diff oil seals were replaced twice owing to a bad seal. Recently I faced issues with the lambda sensor throwing out an error thrice due to which the ECU went to limp mode. But in all these cases the blokes at FM took care of it without a glitch. For the first two cases, the car was taken to FM RnD at Akurdi for the team to analyse the issue (perks of staying in Pune). In the third case, the ECU was flashed and the issue never resurfaced.
Where FM needs to improve is QC. Parts quality need to be improved. Spare availability is erratic. People who are used to the “Nexa experience” (read - nice cup of cappuccino, fancy customer lounge, WiFi etc) will be disappointed with the service experience. You need to get your vehicle serviced with the commercial guys. I need to travel close to 30km one way from my home. Initially it was bothersome for me, but interacting with the commercial guys and mechanics, I got to learn lot of stuff.
After all the issues, do I repent buying the Gurkha, absolutely not.
For the folks who want more power, yes, the new Gurkha will be coming with a more powerful engine .
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-snapseed.jpeg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 29th March 2024 at 07:57.
rakesh_r is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 10:42   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
......... For the folks who want more power, yes, the new Gurkha will be coming with a more powerful engine .
The big question is 'when' will the new Gurkha come? Do the perks of staying in Pune include knowing finding the answer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks