Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 15:14   #196
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

hi guys,

having read and watched most of the reviews online, one point that doesnt seem to be discussed much is, can the 2021 Gurkha be remapped?
The 90 BHP power output seems to be a bone of contention , I was wondering if a stage 1 remap can solve that issue by bumping it upto 110-115 bhp.

I have mapped my 2015 Thar CRDE and it was a game changer for how it drives.

Would love to hear thoughts on this from everyone.

Thank you

PS - it feels good to be back on the forum after ages.
Ksingh544 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 16:27   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
You know you are buying an absolutely niche vehicle when the pan-India sales team can be tracked in 10 rows of Excel
Hahaha good point! I guess the sales figures for the Gurkha have been quite dismal so far to warrant a huge investment in the areas of after sales.

Its the classic Chicken & Egg story. What improves first to warrant an improvement in the other?

Do sales improve based on better after sales or is after sales improved such to have an impact on the sales figure?

Hopefully the new Gurkha will have good sales and the company will work on the after sales network thereafter.

There is a brand new super long wheelbase Trax Ambulance parked outside my house right now.
I sat in the driver's seat and saw the fit and finish. Seems like a huge improvement from the last Gurkha Extreme that i saw and drove in 2019.
The front doors, steering wheel, instrument cluster etc are the same as the new Gurkha. It has the same 2.6 engine and upon startup it sounded quite nice honestly.
Also the steel wheels looks pretty decent even though they were 15 inch ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
hi guys,

having read and watched most of the reviews online, one point that doesnt seem to be discussed much is, can the 2021 Gurkha be remapped?
The 90 BHP power output seems to be a bone of contention , I was wondering if a stage 1 remap can solve that issue by bumping it upto 110-115 bhp.

PS - it feels good to be back on the forum after ages.
I have seen some Gurkhas online with Dieseltronic stickers. I am assuming that they must have had a remap too.
I'm quite sure a remap will be possible but bumping upto 110-115 seems ambitious. Even 100 bhp would be good i feel.

At the end of the day if the Gurkhas drivability is decent in stock form as tested by Trojan on the highway then maybe it will not be required at all.
As i mentioned in an earlier post my 75 bhp Qualis was eminently drivable in the city and highway both.

Welcome back to the forum brother.
Manuuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 18:33   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I am hoping the same can be done since they already have a version that makes much better output.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 18:51   #199
BHPian

As i mentioned in my earlier post there was a LWB Trax ambulance parked outside my house today and had pretty good fit and finish.

Here are some pics of the same.

This LWB could make a cool double cab pickup too for overland travel. If they sell it in 4x4(x4) that is.

For anyone wondering how the rear doors on the 5 door Gurkha will look like i think this should give you a pretty good idea.
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211013183713_gallery.jpg

Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211013183556_gallery.jpg
Door is identical i think

Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211013183752_gallery.jpg
Matching Seat Cover and Slippers! I like the double tone dashboard. Plastic quality did not seem so bad to the touch.
Certainly nothing to gripe about as some reviews have done.

Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211013183817_gallery.jpg
Steering felt nice to hold and was softer than it looks. Instrument cluster was clear and legible. Light years ahead of the 2019 model.

Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211013183842_gallery.jpg
The 2.6 Engine.

Last edited by Manuuj : 13th October 2021 at 19:00. Reason: Added information.
Manuuj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 19:16   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome back! Don't know about the 2021 model, but the previous gen has been remapped by a few owners, though I don't know them or come across it myself, but heard so from few other owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
There is a brand new super long wheelbase Trax Ambulance parked outside my house right now.
I sat in the driver's seat and saw the fit and finish. Seems like a huge improvement from the last Gurkha Extreme that i saw and drove in 2019.
The front doors, steering wheel, instrument cluster etc are the same as the new Gurkha. It has the same 2.6 engine and upon startup it sounded quite nice honestly.
Also the steel wheels looks pretty decent even though they were 15 inch ones.
This thing is massive and one really needs to see it in person to appreciate the sheer length, one can literally live in these!
Even I found the interiors way better than most have described them !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
This LWB could make a cool double cab pickup too for overland travel. If they sell it in 4x4(x4) that is.
I was told by the Mumbai dealer in March that one can order a 4x4 version, its made to order. I think some Ambulances do come with a transfer case.

Cheers!
Trojan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 23:28   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Welcome back! Don't know about the 2021 model, but the previous gen has been remapped by a few owners, though I don't know them or come across it myself, but heard so from few other owners.

I have seen some Gurkhas online with Dieseltronic stickers. I am assuming that they must have had a remap too.
I'm quite sure a remap will be possible but bumping upto 110-115 seems ambitious. Even 100 bhp would be good i feel.

At the end of the day if the Gurkhas drivability is decent in stock form as tested by Trojan on the highway then maybe it will not be required at all.
As i mentioned in an earlier post my 75 bhp Qualis was eminently drivable in the city and highway both.

Welcome back to the forum brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am hoping the same can be done since they already have a version that makes much better output.
thank you all its good to be back !! i think it shoud be doable. and could be the simplest solution to this lack of power ( if it turns out to be that) probem.

I have a long history with Force Motors erstwhile Bajaj Firodia Group. My father was a dealer for Firodias in Jammu & Kashmir, we sold Matadors, Tempo Travelers, Tempo Trax for almost 20 years for them, uptill 2002. As part of that we always had a Bajaj vehicle in our personal fleet, the Matador & Trax being standards. In 2002 I inherited my fathers Tempo Trax Judo after his passing and that became my first vehicle in first year college. I drove that for 6.5 years for almost 1.3 lakh kms. it was a beautiful beast of a vehicle that badly lacked a 5th gear on highways. But the Mercedes finesse of the engine was unmatched. I went onto get a Scorpio in 2008 and then the updated Thar CRDE in 2015. So no surprises jeeps are in the blood and when this Gurkha was announced it really caught my fancy. Especially with the new 2020 Thar becoming so common. No disrespect to the Mahindras they have really upped their game with the new engines and i've booked and cancelled the New Thar twice. But without sounding like a hypocrite the new Thar has become to mainstream with its auto box and petrol engines. who knows i still may end up getting it , if the Gurkha really disapoints. But as of now all my attention is on the Force Gurkha 2021.
It truly is an analogue watch in this digital era, and I know i could really use a digital dopamine detox
Ksingh544 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 21:50   #202
BHPian

Hi
I noticed that the ambulance mentioned above has 15 inch rims
I have a question
My Thar has 31x10.50 R15 LT maxxis bravo 980 all terrain tyres on steel wheels
I have found these to be very good all rounders and they are in very good condition
Can these be used on the Force Gurkha? I gather these are equivalent to 275x65mm size
Could there be issues including ground clearance?
Also would the alloys being sold as accessories be superior to the original steel rims?
The demo car availability has been postponed to the 22nd as of now
So lots of time to revisit the colours and review videos
At first I thought orange was no -no but it is growing on me !
Shekhar Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 04:18   #203
BHPian

So I used the TRAX BS6 Rear Passenger door as a reference and created this.
Attached Images

ThatBalenoGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 04:19   #204
BHPian

Few minutes on Photoshop with that Previous image as reference and Behold this magnificent thing.

G Wagen or not, it's beautiful

Youtube recommended me this video. I think the figures on paper don't paint the whole picture.

This is crazy!

Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha Review-render-gurkha.png  

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th October 2021 at 04:28. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
ThatBalenoGuy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 12:52   #205
BHPian

Is there any news/possibility that Gurkha 5 door will come with automatic gear?
Old 16th October 2021, 23:05   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindtayal View Post
I doubt that very much! There is only news of the 5 door Gurkha being developed but none about any launch date and definitely nothing about an automatic gearbox.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:01   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindtayal View Post
I would say the chances are zero. Unlike Mahindra where the same AT will be used in the Scorpio and Thar, Force will not be able to negotiate a reasonable price for the AT from any vendor. Volumes are too low for them to even consider an AT version.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:38   #208
BHPian

Here is a short video on what the old Gurkha is like on open highways, as we did not get a chance to drive the new one but I guess one can at least expect similar results if not better. There are so many questions on whether or not the Gurkha can hold triple digit speeds, the answer is for you to see, it can not only reach those speeds but also hold them for long hours.

As compared to this the new version is super refined and a whole deal quieter.

The vehicle in the video is our Gurkha Explorer which has the same 2.6 engine with 85bhp.

You know what's the biggest relief in an electronic deficit vehicle
After a few basic checks...You can ignore the Check Engine light

Trojan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 12:59   #209
BHPian

Hi
Thank Trojan for sharing various experiences with the Gurkha . I would like to connect with him and speak to him .How is this normally done via the forum?
The test drive vehicles have not yet reached the dealership I am told that the dealerships are preparing to have separate arrangements for Gurkha owners so that we dont compete with commercial vehicles for attention and time
Do you think that the company will stay engaged with the owners and share their enthusiasm ?
They did send a SMS sometime ago thanking me for booking and saying that the dealer will get in touch shortly . I have been in touch with them and they too await more news about the timeline from the company Hope the synergies will evolve to enable a happy ownership experience
The aim of getting the vehicle is to go long distances and then take it into any kind of terrain for enjoying nature The view out from the vehicle is of crucial importance for this as well as ease and cost of maintenence
Looking forward to the test drive and expectations being met !
Shekhar Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 21:45   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar Rao View Post
Hi
Thank Trojan for sharing various experiences with the Gurkha . I would like to connect with him and speak to him .How is this normally done via the forum?

The test drive vehicles have not yet reached the dealership.. .
You can Direct Message Trojan on the forum and get his contact details from him too if required. A direct message on the forum is the best option. I am sure he will respond.

I've been told by the dealer that for sure 100% i will be able to see the car in the flesh on 21st October. Will put my booking deposit down once i have driven it.

In the meantime i have arranged for 160x5 Rims for the Gurkha.
Name:  IMG20210928WA0002.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  68.9 KB

The search for BFG tyres though is not bearing fruit.

On another note I noticed the button for DPF filter cleaning/clearing on the dashboard and since someone was enquiring about it i am attaching the photo below.
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211019213050_youtube.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks