Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2021, 13:57   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindtayal View Post
Is it possible to install snow chains on these plati alloy rims?
Snow chains are specific to tyres, and not rims.
You can install chains on any tyre, as long as they are the correct size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Does the Force Gurkha come with a Cold Starting Kit as an option? Please ask the SA when you go tommorow for the front seat belt issue.
Quite Intrigued by this, what all is included in the cold start kit?
Previous Gurkha was quite a handful to start in Spiti in Winters.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th October 2021 at 14:35. Reason: Back to back posts merged
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 15:20   #287
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Snow chains are specific to tyres, and not rims.
Quite Intrigued by this, what all is included in the cold start kit?
Previous Gurkha was quite a handful to start in Spiti in Winters.
Thank you for answering the Snow chain Q for me.

The new BS6 Gurkha does not need a cold Starting Kit as it comes with Glow Plugs.

I had discussed about Cold Starting Kits with a fellow Bhpian Uday and this is what he had to say:

"Earlier, Gurkha had an official cold starting kit as an optional accessory. It was basically a wiring harness to the ECU connected through a Relay Kit leading to a Grid Heater for the Intake Manifold. Basically to heat the air just before it enters the cylinders and thus aid in cold weather starting when ambient air temps are bound to be really low"

Hope this answers your Q.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 15:23   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for answering the Snow chain Q for me.

The new BS6 Gurkha does not need a cold Starting Kit as it comes with Glow Plugs.

I had discussed about Cold Starting Kits with a fellow Bhpian Uday and this is what he had to say:

"Earlier, Gurkha had an official cold starting kit as an optional accessory. It was basically a wiring harness to the ECU connected through a Relay Kit leading to a Grid Heater for the Intake Manifold. Basically to heat the air just before it enters the cylinders and thus aid in cold weather starting when ambient air temps are bound to be really low"

Hope this answers your Q.
Glow plugs or not, it will definitely need some assistance, or antifreeze like all other diesel vehicles.
The Cold Starting kit seems interesting, I am not sure, but is the working principle, similar to block heaters found in the west?
Old 29th October 2021, 15:39   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Glow plugs or not, it will definitely need some assistance, or antifreeze like all other diesel vehicles.
The Cold Starting kit seems interesting, I am not sure, but is the working principle, similar to block heaters found in the west?
Not too sure about the working principal of block heaters. I think they heat up the coolant and the engine block using an external power source.

The person i spoke to at Force said that the glow plugs will aid in Cold starting down to about -10 degrees.
You are correct when you say these alone will not do the job.
When i visit the showroom i will inquire whether the Cold Starting Kit is available to order as an optional accessory in addition to the Glow Plugs that the vehicle comes installed with in its stock form from the factory.

The 2021 Gurkhas Owners Manual does say that a Cold Starting Kit can be ordered as an optional accessory according to Bhpian "hazchem".

Now it is possible that line could have just been carried over erroneously from the previous BSIV Gurkhas Owner Manual.

Will confirm.

Last edited by Manuuj : 29th October 2021 at 15:41.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 15:42   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not too sure about the working principal of block heaters. I think they heat up the coolant and the engine block using an external power source.

The person i spoke to at Force said that the glow plugs will aid in Cold starting down to about -10 degrees.
You are correct when you say these alone will not do the job.
When i visit the showroom i will inquire whether the Cold Starting Kit is available to order as an optional accessory in addition to the Glow Plugs that the vehicle comes installed with in its stock form from the factory.

The 2021 Gurkhas Owners Manual does say that a Cold Starting Kit can be ordered as an optional accessory.
Now it is possible that line could have just been carried over erroneously from the previous BSIV Gurkhas Owner Manual.

Will confirm.
If it's available, it's a must have.
After having done winter spiti twice, I know how much of a pain it is to start a vehicle if diesel freezes. I have been lucky with my thar, since I have always taken extra precautions. Thar Crde's and Gurkha's are relatively simple machines to start. Problem arises when SUV's fail to start.
Have you gotten your hands on one yet?
Old 29th October 2021, 15:59   #291
BHPian

Quote:
If it's available, it's a must have.

Have you gotten your hands on one yet?
I agree. If the kit is available fitted from the factory as an optional accessory I am surely getting it too. A restful sleep on snowy winter nights in Spiti sponsored by the insurance of the Cold Starting Kit will be well worth it.

Even if i only get to use it for 5 times in a year. Same thinking for the Diff Locks and even 4x4 mode.

It should be there when i need it.

I have sat in a Gurkha but not had a chance for a test drive as yet. Will only book once I have driven it.

I remember back in 1994 when we bought a MM540 Jeep. Never took a test drive and never even sat in one beforehand.

When i took delivery and started the car it was a real culture shock after the Maruti 800 and Omnis I had been used to driving. Eventually I grew to love the car ofcourse and thus began my love for Suv's.

Test drives in Delhi may take upto another week to commence is what i was told today by the SA I am in touch with.

That is fine. I am in no hurry as such.

In some ways its just a formality. I know i am getting it.

Already have the wheels and tyres!
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 16:07   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. If the kit is available fitted from the factory as an optional accessory I am surely getting it too. A restful sleep on snowy winter nights in Spiti sponsored by the insurance of the Cold Starting Kit will be well worth it.

Even if i only get to use it for 5 times in a year. Same thinking for the Diff Locks and even 4x4 mode.

It should be there when i need it.

I have sat in a Gurkha but not had a chance for a test drive as yet. Will only book once I have driven it.

I remember back in 1994 when we bought a MM540 Jeep. Never took a test drive and never even sat in one beforehand.

When i took delivery and started the car it was a real culture shock after the Maruti 800 and Omnis I had been used to driving. Eventually I grew to love the car ofcourse and thus began my love for Suv's.

Test drives in Delhi may take upto another week to commence is what i was told today by the SA I am in touch with.

That is fine. I am in no hurry as such.

In some ways its just a formality. I know i am getting it.

Already have the wheels and tyres!
Well, Back in December 2013, I bought my Thar Crde without even sitting in it once. Well It was definitely a shock on day 1, but eventually got around to loving it, and I still love it. Hope you get the Gurkha Soon.
I am now waiting for the elusive Jimny in parrot green
Old 29th October 2021, 21:52   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2luvroads View Post
Front recovery is a screw in hook type which I tried to feel the threads by my index finger and didn't got enough confidence that it will be of any help if the vehicle stuck seriously.
Ref to post #70 in this thread; I had asked precisely about this issue. Now, I have the answer.
Imagine you are bogged down in sand/mud/snow. Now, you take the screw-on recovery hook, find the thread location (remember, struck in sand/mud/snow), attach recovery hook and make your way to safety. Good luck if natural light is not adequate.
I agree most people will NOT face this situation but for a vehicle that is touted as an "off-road" champion, lacking a rated recovery point is like that scene from the Matrix: What would you do with a phone call Mr Anderson if you don't have a mouth? I still remember the Mahindra Verito recovery hook sticking out of the rear profile (My neighbour has one).
Shame on FM for neglecting this crucial aspect.
mygodbole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 21:57   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Did it feel like its lacking the extra BHP, especially in 5th gear or when overtaking.
No, I dont thing it lack the ability to over take in normal traffic. That said, let's be real, Gurkha is not winning any drag races.
hazchem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 22:20   #295
BHPian

Quote:

The 2021 Gurkhas Owners Manual does say that a Cold Starting Kit can be ordered as an optional accessory according to Bhpian "hazchem".

Will confirm.
Gurkha's official website also mention about the Cold Start Kit in the FAQ section.

BTW tomorrow me & my wife will be taking a spin of the much awaited Gurkha and then planning to pay the advance on Dhanteras.
T2luvroads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 23:40   #296
BHPian

I had the opportunity to drive the all new Gurkha for almost 15kms and here are my first drive impressions.

1. Its a big improvement in the overall drivability as compared to old Gurkha, being said that it handled at par or ever less than its competitor Thar.
2. Lots of body roll, you will need an extra muscle power to balance yourself on the seat to stay intact. Thar fairs far better in this aspect majorly because of the far better seats and driving position.
3. Interior plastic quality as expected is poor. You will feel bored immediately after owning this vehicle. This is not what you expect if you pay 16 big gandhis for this vehicle.
4. It looks stunning from the front. However the rear design especially the tail lamps just doesn't go well with the over all boxy design.
5. Metal parts are of good quality. However plastics are a total disaster wherever you see.
6. Headlight throw is good for highways, good job Force.
7. If you use this only for hardcore offroading, go for it. If your use is a combination of highways and offroads, think over it. Every chance that you will be disappointed after driving it for few days.
8. Definitely not for city dwellers. No comforts, whatsoever.

Conclusion - If you need a reliable, stylish, affordable and comfy offroader, go with Thar. It beats Gurkha in almost every segment. Only a hardcore gurkha fan boy can plonk in 16 odd lakhs on this vehicle when you have far superior product avaialble with the similiar price point. No, this is not the vehicle which I want, Thar is far better for the money I pay for the value I get in return !

Thanks
highwaypatrol is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 00:25   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2luvroads View Post
Gurkha's official website also mention about the Cold Start Kit in the FAQ section.

BTW tomorrow me & my wife will be taking a spin of the much awaited Gurkha and then planning to pay the advance on Dhanteras.
This is what i found.
Force Gurkha Review-screenshot_20211030001503_chrome.jpg

It said Cold Start Kit is a mandatory fitment. Guess they may be referring to the Glow Plugs?

When you do take the spin tommorow please also ask about this mysterious Cold Start Kit that is either an optional Accessory or Mandatory Fitment and clear our doubts once in for all.

Thanks in advance!
Old 30th October 2021, 05:48   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
Shame on FM for neglecting this crucial aspect.
Perhaps Force thought the driver would have the foresight to install the recovery hook BEFORE getting the front end bogged down. It's not common to get your front buried up to the recovery point during every day driving.
Also, if your front is buried that deep, you are probably better off tugging at it with the pintle hitch in the back. Can you do the same with the Thar?

Cheers
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 06:52   #299
BHPian

Test drove the Gurkha today in Hyderabad. It was a pleasant experience overall. The green colour looked good in flesh. Now I'm thinking even the other colours (say, red) also might appear equally well in real.

My initial impressions are in relative to the current car I drive (Fiat Urban Cross Abarth). I also got to be a passenger (in rear seat) of another prospect who test drove after I finished mine. Pleasantly surprised there are footfalls enquiring for the Gurkha. Staff (from services I guess) cleaned up the vehicle by evening, they had to take some pics to be sent to FM and after the initial greetings, I was handed over the keys.

Force Gurkha Review-gurkha1.jpeg

- The car is HUGE. My 4Yo called it the truck as soon as we got out our car at the dealership.
- When the keys were handed over to me, it scared me a little. Never I drove an SUV of any size, heck I never drove cars other than hatchbacks and here I'm with keys in my hand. It's over 7 feet tall.
- I had very minimal expectations for the interiors and I'm delighted with what I saw. Have no expectations on the interior and you will feel good with what you see. The plastics are hard, the dark black colour looked good. The only Q I asked was if the audio head unit support Apple car play, I was answered in affirmative.
- I started the engine, there's little noise into the cabin. Realized what's it like to start a diesel engine. The sales rep was quick to understand this, rolled up windows and turned on the AC. By now I got accustomed and the NVH are very acceptable.
- The footwell seemed very small. For a moment I didn't find the accelerator and was shocked, then saw it at a little far too right. There's no dead pedal.
- I adjusted the seat and IRVM, slotted the gear to 1st. It took me less than 5 seconds to get adjusted to the size of this truck.
- This is attention magnet and people on the road are quick to give you way, do not abruptly cross the road with their 2wheelers or jay walk.
- For the first time as I drive I'm able to see the roof of cars around. The visibility is great all around and I felt confident driving this. Even the Boleros and XUVs appeared like toys on the road from the driving position. The bonet is visible and acted as a guideline for me to know margins. I gained confidence as soon as I figured this out.
- The first and second gears are harsh to drive. There was jolts during shifts and clutch release. I think it takes a little while to adjust to driving this. In the 3rd gear the drive is super smooth around in city traffic. I drove through narrow lanes too and the size was never a thing to worry about. It was easy to drive. The cultch felt lite,
- Couldn't slot of 4th or above or get to drive at good speeds. I will go back and request for a long/highway drive if & when I go shopping cars in the future.
- Didn't slot into 4x4 mode or try any of those features. Just knowing that it is capable if need be is enough for me.
- The clutch pedal felt too low and sometimes when shifting gears I had to adjust my foot on it so my sandal is not blocking it from completely releasing. I do not know how better to put it, but during the drive and changing gears I felt a little unease with releasing the clutch pedal

Force Gurkha Review-gurkha2.jpeg

- During the 2nd test drive (row 2 passenger) when the driver complained of heavy steering it occurred to me that this is not electrical power steering, but a HPS one. Both my current car and previous one (Ford Figo) had HPS steerings and I took it for granted. I felt the steering feedback as good as my current drive. Personally, I like these
- The A/c cooled the cabin no time. I felt it's already cool when I sat in rear seats.
- The rear seat comfort is good. All the 4 seats are the same. The hand rest is a boon. The huge glass window portion gave ample view. For a moment I felt I was in a volvo bus being chauffeured.
- Getting in and out of the rear seats is a feat in itself.

Force Gurkha Review-gurkha3.jpeg

After the test drive ended, I chatted up a little with the SA. I conveyed my satisfaction and truly appreciated the efforts the company has put into getting this out and wished the best. Filled up the feedback form, took the price list and exited.

Overall, I'm delighted with the overall experience. This is a no nonsense, go anywhere vehicle. This can well be the only primary car and can be commuted to the office too
All during my return journey to home (about an hr drive in traffic), I kept appreciating how much I liked driving Gurkha. I do not know if the initial enthusiasm of driving this will soon fade away if one has to drive this regularly, but for whatever little time I drove this, I truly enjoyed.
jagan88 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 19:26   #300
BHPian

I got a call today in the morning from the executive at Rohit Autowheels telling me that the test drives had commenced.

I immediately headed there to do so.

I've already posted about my initial impressions about its features and looks so i will not touch upon them now.

Lets talk about the drive. Once you climb inside the first impression is about how high of the ground you are. I drive an Endeavour and was still surprised by the position. Its a very clear view all around with no blind spots.

The door shut with a thud rather than a clang. Upon starting there was a slight shudder and muffled hum from the engine.

First gear was engaged very easily and one took off suprisingly smoothly. Its a short gear and required a quick change to 2nd as i got on the road. This gear takes us to 30 kmph and one quickly changes to 3rd and then 4th.

Gear changes were very smooth and the clutch was light.

I was mostly in traffic for the first ten minutes and stayed in 2nd and 3rd gear moving quite effortlessly.

Then i came to a Jam where i needed to make a right turn and the Gurkha muscled its way through the stubborn traffic.

Visibility was really good all around and even though it was my first time driving it i felt very comfortable squeezing it through traffic.

Once the Jam was negotiated i accelerated onto the highway and was slightly underwhelmed.

There isnt much boost or that feeling of being pushed back into the seat.
But then i reasoned that i had just got off the Endeavour which is 200 bhp and into a 90 bhp machine.

Speed was picked up in a linear manner and very soon by going through the smooth gears i was at 80 kmph and felt that in 5th i could take it to 100 and cruise all day.
Speed cameras on the stretch necessitated me slowing down to 60 and driving in 4th.

I saw an uneven broken section on the side of the road and drove through it in 2nd gear at about 20-30 kmph without getting thrown around.

When i got back to the dealership i got of from the main road onto the area outside the dealership from a part that had a 6 inch drop off and not the main ramp that led to the gate.

The extra bash plate underside for the transmission scraped here which i expected since ive already said it placed too low.
Force Gurkha Review-20211023_141506.jpg

Will have to change it soon after getting my Gurkha.

I was quite pleased with the NVH and AC.
Seats were very comfortable and the Gurkha felt easy to drive. At one point i changed from 3rd to 4th gear with one finger.

Brakes were normal and did not feel mushy.

Around town this will not be any trouble to drive at all. I have not driven a Manual since April 2019 and felt very comfortable driving this.

Offroad in extreme conditions and bad broken roads this car will rock.

On Highways it will be a leisurely cruiser. Slot it into 5th and cruise along at 90-100 kmph in the center lane all day long if one likes.

Booking will be done in the next couple of days.
Manuuj is offline   (39) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks