Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2021, 21:39   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review

Thanks for a quick review. Would have been great to also compare it with the Allspace that was on sale earlier this year - I must say (somewhat sheepishly) that I have not really dug into its features fully despite having owned one for over 9 months.

This is clearly being positioned purely as a halo product for VW - which is why I think they will get the new Facelifted Allspace in for perhaps ₹2-3 l more for FY23. Think VW would be happy selling 150-200 units a month - and won’t be bothered by the “dead on arrival” choruses on social media, more often than not by folks who would not write a cheque even if it cost 10% less. Personally am glad this has been launched - am all for a larger installed base of 2 TSI + DQ 381 equipped vehicles in India which will make spares availability easier even if VW pulls the plug eventually.

Suspect this will be great to drive - my Allspace is faster than an X3 20d to 100 kmph, and the lighter weight should make this faster still. Plus the short overhangs should make this better for mild off-roading or those Ladakh trips.
Hayek is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 08:54   #17
BHPian

This is the car I had been waiting for before I went ahead with the upgrade. However, I would like to see this in person before I make the final decision.

My observations, few compared to the international spec
1. The alloys look average in the pictures. They look like the ones I had in my old Vento. A nice diamond cut alloys like in the international spec would have been awesome.
2. The quality of leather on the seats look strictly average. The international one looks cool with perforated leather Even the Vento had perforated faux leather seats.
3. I wish the steering had the classy piano black inserts. The dashboard also looks much better in the international spec.
4. The USB port and cig lighter in the front facia looks oddly out of place with that bright silver inserts. It would have been nice to have it blended with the surrounding color. Perhaps it’s the effect of the photo ?
5. The ICE unit area of the dashboard seems to be designed for a head unit with flared edges than the rectangular ones the car ships with. Same is the case in the international spec too. Any idea why this oddity ? Its atypical of a European car to have a design that is out of place.

Couple of queries
1. Does this have a USB port behind the IRVM like the Octavia does ? That would be nice to have and helps avoid running ugly wires around the paneling for my dashcam
2. How about a wireless phone charger ? From the pictures it doesn't look like it has one.
3. Does the head unit support wireless apple car play ?

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/...ealed-gallery/

I had the Vento and I still have the pre-facelift Octavia. I exchanged the Vento for the top spec diesel auto box Verna for but I am very unhappy with the Verna’s road manners. The car hasn’t even crossed 15K and I am looking at upgrading it to an SUV because my father is having a tough time getting in out of the sedans. If Ford was still around, the Endeavor will have been my default choice, no second thoughts. Right now my choices are the 35L Tucson AWD diesel which at this point looks like a huge value for money. If the Tiguan was available with the TDI, I would have paid 40L without batting an eyelid. I wish the Tiguan was priced a couple of lakhs lower. Having driven sedans from both the VW and Skoda stable for many years, I like their road manners a lot. The last in the list is the Fortuner which I am unsure about at this point. For 44L, the interiors look average at best and the car bounces about a bit, at least that is my experience from the test drive.

Last edited by SR-71 : 12th December 2021 at 09:15.
SR-71 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 10:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

People like me who owns previous gen Octavia, Jetta etc., if we are in the market for an upgrade there aren’t many choices below big 3 that we can look at. Infact the only choices I see are Superb and Tiguan with some compromises. Only wish they had TDI engines atleast for higher segments.
And then the price of all new cars makes us wonder whether it really make sense to change. For eg: I bought Octavia Ambition TDI manual in 2016 for 23 lakhs OTR Bangalore and would have spend around 4.5 to 5 lakhs in various mods. Now if we want to upgrade to a good diesel car there are no options unless you spend 60+ lakhs.
sunikkat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 12:13   #19
BHPian

Succinct and sweet review! IMHO the pricing is definitely on the higher side but isn't as bad as compared to some of the SUVs on the market which offer a similar kit list albeit not similar dimensions.

Overall I feel the car is up to the standards of old VWs that were gems such as the Jetta. Most importantly the engine + gearbox combo is something that definitely must be given credit. I feel the biggest obstacle that VW India has with this car is being able to explain the value proposition to potential customers who are not familiar with the VAG India realm.

At such a pricepoint I feel VW India should offer an increased ability to customize the car, including alloy options and if the supply chain permits things like the interior colour etc, options that are not too drastic but can help make a difference. I for one wouldn't buy this car with the all-black interior given the fact that I am slightly claustrophobic and the cabin is where I would spend most of my time with the car.

All in all, I feel this is a step in the right direction and I am sure many VAG enthusiasts would be super delighted looking at the overall quality of the car after the Taigun launch. Looking forward to the other stuff VW has lined up!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 12:57   #20
BHPian

Thanks for a great preview!

A premium sound system, ventilated seats, wireless charger, wireless android auto / car play are some bad omissions. I would have most likely gone ahead if these were present.

I've heard many folks talking about "VAG value proposition". What exactly is it? To my knowledge that refers to understated designs along with solid build quality. Is there anything more to it?
Old 12th December 2021, 21:40   #21
BHPian

I am not too perplexed with the price but this one is just lazy from VW. Why could they not import the Middle East/Mexico model instead of the EU one? At least then we would have had cooled seats. The heated seats/steering wheel is just useless for India and I ain’t paying for laziness. The alloys are another aspect that should’ve come in from the higher variants. Another half hearted attempt. At close to 40L these compromises are unacceptable.
yd_gli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 10:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I am not too perplexed with the price but this one is just lazy from VW. Why could they not import the Middle East/Mexico model instead of the EU one? At least then we would have had cooled seats. The heated seats/steering wheel is just useless for India and I ain’t paying for laziness. The alloys are another aspect that should’ve come in from the higher variants. Another half hearted attempt. At close to 40L these compromises are unacceptable.
I think they may be getting the UK one (Right hand drive). Though I totally agree that at these price points they are unacceptable. We pay too much in taxes in India.
xrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 11:16   #23
BHPian

I just noticed that for the price of a Tiguan, we can get one top end automatic each of the 1.0 litre and 1.50 litre Taiguns and still be left with some pocket change. Talk of premium pricing without even offering some of the features of the Taigun twins .
Old 13th December 2021, 12:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like VW is preparing owners for their next upgrade by skimping out on some features : If you think this is bad, wait till you want to upgrade from the Tiguan into the Big 3!

Jokes aside, I had pretty much expected such a price and posted the same on another related thread.

I see many people comparing it to the C5 & Compass, but the fact is that it has always been priced at a premium to them even in 2018 when both the Compass & Tiguan were available in Diesel - I believe there was a Rs. 10L difference between the then top end Limited Plus & the Tiguan Highline (on which this is based).

Today the price difference is down to around Rs. 6L (the 1.4T Compass v/s the Tiguan 2.0TSi) which gets you: much more space (seriously, the Compass is at best a 4 seater!), AWD, a 2.0TSi engine, a few more features here and a few less, better build quality (our 26K run Tiguan has barely any rattles compared to many posts on the Compass thread).
And this being a German, discounts will roll in soon enough narrowing down the price difference.

If you ask me, the true competitor will be the new Tucson & the new CRV (if Honda decides to launch it here), the top ends of which will be priced similarly (around 30L ex-showroom) IMO.
Kodiaq will be priced at a cool Rs. 4-5L premium to this for the added row of seats at which point you also have the Germans to compete with (for those who want a 5 seater).

100 units / month, though a bit ambitious could be possible given the void left behind by the CRV & that the existing Tucson is on it's way out. It's good VW is planning limited numbers because at this price point majority of the market prefers a big butch SUV like the Fortuner.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 13:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

100+ units per month is high - we will see. Its a well built and comes with a brilliant engine and proportionate dimensions, I wont put my money nor will I suggest this in my circle(s). It would have made sense to launch this at 32L if they launched the entry variant at 28 and mid variant at 30L (no quattro). I would go one step further and do options with 1.5L engine as well but thats clearly wishful thinking.

We are a country of cross-shoppers and that makes for even more options. Purists are less than 5%
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 10:46   #26
BHPian

When are test drives available? Is an official review too in the pipeline, and if yes, when can we expect it?
Old 16th December 2021, 02:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojas View Post
When are test drives available? Is an official review too in the pipeline, and if yes, when can we expect it?
The VW folks keep calling me daily checking if I got a call from the dealer for the test drive I have requested. I am not sure if dealers in Bangalore share the same level of enthusiasm. All I keep hearing is empty promises on a daily basis from the VW folks. Forget test drives, their websites has their brochure with the international spec car (LHD model) not the one we get here. Now that's a level of laziness I find disappointing. Delayed deliveries due to chip shortage are understandable. But not readying a proper brochure for the most expensive line up in their stable today ? Not cool VW... not cool!

Last edited by SR-71 : 16th December 2021 at 02:51.
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 08:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojas View Post
I got a call from the Thane dealership a couple of days ago saying that the test drive vehicle has arrived.
They have been pretty proactive so far.
thechinmay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 13:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Such a lazy effort from VW -
  • Atrocious pricing, in spite of being a CKD
  • No India specific improvements like softer suspension tuning or ventilated seats
  • Capacitive touch controls for the climate control
  • Quality of leather seats etc. do not feel like a D segment car.
  • Absolutely terrible looking alloys (my Vento Highline plus/ Polo GT alloys look better)
  • Basically a older generation car with older audio system and no wireless charging.
  • No advanced safety technologies like 360 camera or ADAS

I wonder who will pay 35-40L onroad for this car. I know there is a not a direct competitor which is considerably better but the upcoming Hyundai Tucson will beat this pretty easily (though I can't digest the looks of the new Tucson). Otherwise, better to stretch and go for the X1 or the upcoming Q3. I would be surprised even if there is a single owner of this car in this forum.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 22:46   #30
BHPian

I am adding this car in my list of choices. The choices are still very limited for me.

I am in the market for upgrading to ~30L automatic monocoque SUV (top end variant) next year. Main priorities are good to drive and ride, performance (engine, gearbox, and braking), comfortable rear seating for 2 (family) with nice ambience, best NVH levels and length within 4.5 meters (compact to drive in city as well as parking at my apartment). Standard safety, which is my high priority, is a common factor in this segment and so, I won't cover it here.

My yearly driving is around 13K to 15K kms (80% highway + 20% city). So choice of diesel or petrol depends on the engine + gearbox combination and performance.

My current choices are X1 (pre-owned), Tucson, and new Tiguan. Here are my views without much comparison on features offered / missed.

Compass (Diesel AT): It is ruled out (the feel in rear seating is not good enough due black interior with less space, niggles in 2021 model as per reviews, 2.0 engine + AT combination is not the best here to drive).

C5 Aircross (Diesel AT): It is ruled out (new brand, after-sales experience and feedback are unknow).

X1 (20d xLine): I have driven an X3 and 320d of my friends during occasional trips over the last few years and hence the feel of the interiors and drive of the X1 are not as good as them. I know it is not a good comparison, but in my budget, I am convinced to have a well maintained and low run X1 rather than putting 52 lakhs on a new one.

(+) Powerful and great 2.0 engine + AT combination and good to drive though front-wheel drive. The light color interior and panoramic sunroof are creating nice and airy ambiance at front and rear. NVH is decent not the best. Very good braking and car stops without any drama.

(-) Though the handling is good at high speeds, the steering is a little heavy at slow speeds for me. The runflat tyres make the ride feel slightly stiff when compared to tubeless tyres (I drove both pre-owned). Rear seat is decent and strictly for 2. Other bits: I didn’t like the old-style gear shifter, but liked the one in facelifted 2020 BS6 model (I think it is shift-by-wire like in the X3 / 320d). So far, I haven’t found a good one in the pre-owned market, but I'm searching.

Tucson (Diesel AT HTrac):
Booked a test drive online last week and got the vehicle at my home after a one-day delay (they called and gave the the reason for the delay well in advance). Had a good experience with the flexible sales executive. Test drove both inside the city and a long stretch for around 2 hours with 4 onboard with me driving, and my wife and son are at rear.

(+) I liked the exterior more than the upcoming next-gen model. Back seat space and comfort are good (high rising window line towards the rear is not a problem for my family). Great ride at low speeds as well as high speeds - potholes are well masked to not reach the occupants. Very smooth and powerful engine + AT. Though black interior, it feels spacious in the rear and with the panoramic sunroof cover opened, the cabin feels airy. NVH levels are also good. Steering feel is decent enough and not lifeless like other Hyundai cars (I am driving an Elite i20 and my friend’s Verna). It is around 32 lakhs on-road Chennai after discounts - value for money car for sure.

(-) Outdated interior design and feel. Driving pleasure and feel is somehow low compared to the X1 and Tiguan. Brake pedal feel is not as assuring as the other 2 cars, though braking performance is good.

Tiguan (DSG 4Motion):
Day before yesterday, I went in person to a nearby dealer (just 2 kms from home) after knowing that the Tiguan is available there through OLX! Yes, it is posted with update of current dealer. But the car was out for a test drive, and I was assigned a sales executive to schedule a test drive at my home. It was scheduled and done yesterday evening after a couple of calls and based on the availability of the car. Like Hyundai, the experience with the VW sales executive was good - very friendly and flexible. I got the test drive scheduled at 6 PM and by that time the sunlight was almost gone. So, it was like a night drive (full of traffic at city + long open road stretch). Planning to check again in the daytime later.

Following are my views on the Tiguan Test Drive with 4 onboard on the same route of the Tucson Test Drive.

(+) Very good ambience inside at night, nice dash layout, integration, lights, and digital instrument cluster. I am yet to feel the daytime ambience inside. I still feel X1 ambiance is best of the 3 in the daytime due to the light coloured interiors. Best rear seat space and comfort almost close to the Tucson, but the feel was better. The car felt composed when I drove at 3-digit speeds and did lane changes. It has good handling and drives like sedan in most conditions. It feels very easy and is a joy to drive in the city as well as on the highway compared to other cars. The car felt like a solid box without any heaviness or body roll while driving. Steering is smooth and easy all the time. It feels too light when in normal mode at slow speeds (I liked it), but becomes heavier on changing the modes. Well refined engine (2.0 TSI vs diesels) with smooth and fast gearbox (7-speed DQ381). Hardly noticed any shifting. S (sport) mode is the best driving mode in all the conditions. Nothing felt sluggish at initial pedal though I felt them in normal mode for some fraction of seconds (not tried echo mode). Here on diesel side, Tucson scores in refinement and smooth AT and X1 scores in performance. NVH levels are great. I heared very low tyre / road noise first only at around 70 and then, engine noise at 3-digit speeds. Wind noise is much more controlled compared to the Tucson at 3-digit speeds. If we play music system at a pleasant volume, we hear nothing from the outside. It felt heavy with stronger doors than the other 2 cars. The LED headlights are great and high beams provide good coverage. Braking performance as well as pedal feel are great. No jerk or shake on braking.

(-) Stiff suspension – Felt small and sharp potholes inside at slow speeds. Family felt the difference here between theTucson and Tiguan as the test drive route was the same for all the cars. After changing the drive mode to off-road, the impact of bad potholes was reduced slightly. At high speeds, it is comfortable. Overall, the ride is better in the Tucson compared to the X1 and Tiguan.

Touch intuitive controls are not easy to operate like the usual buttons or knobs in Tucson and X1. It will take time to adjust for sure. AC is good only at under 23C. If we keep it at 24C or above, we start feeling sultry inside. Note that it was evening time, without sunlight. Not sure how the performance of the AC will be during the sunny day time. We must check it next time. Others can check and update on this. Ventilated seats are big miss here. It's pricy for the segment as well as having only a petrol engine, though it is giving it a fun to drive nature. On-road Chennai price is close to 39 lakhs.

The dilemma continues…
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_20211215_195040.jpg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_20211215_195100.jpg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_20211215_195914.jpg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_20211215_195932.jpg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_20211215_200019.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 18th December 2021 at 19:55. Reason: Edited for readabilty
vijayk is offline   (15) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed