Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2023, 07:59   #3076
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
I did the PDI of Z8 AT D, the passenger side request sensor is missing and SM showed me another Z8 in stockyard as that also was not having passenger side request sensor.

Also the vehicle had aluminium colour foot step, I asked to replace it with black so SM said will check with Mahindra.

Lastly, boot door handle was black. Is it changed too?

I have a Z8 D AT, and I do have passenger side request sensor, black foot rest and boot door with chrome and request sensor. The Mahindra website is also referring to chrome door handles. Best to check with another dealer.

The 35 Km on ODO should be OK.
Old 23rd October 2023, 10:54   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk600 View Post
I have a Z8 D AT, and I do have passenger side request sensor, black foot rest and boot door with chrome and request sensor. The Mahindra website is also referring to chrome door handles. Best to check with another dealer.

The 35 Km on ODO should be OK.
Thanks for your inputs.

Today I had a word with the ASM (Area Sales Manager), he is saying that Mahindra has discontinued the request sensor on passenger side. Dealer has agreed to arrange a black foot step.

ASM will recheck with Mahindra and confirm on boot chrome handle & request sensor. Its strange that Mahindra is doing cost cutting without reducing the price.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd October 2023 at 17:04. Reason: Expanding ASM.
kumar7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 11:10   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Can some owner, preferably from Mumbai who drives the Scorpio N over the craters we call roads give inputs on ride quality?
Will share my experience based on around 2000km driven till now most of which (70%) in Mumbai city.

Ride quality is decent enough depending on at what speeds you are driving, i have observed and others have also mentioned the same that bad patches are easily dismissed if you drive over them at speed of 45-50kmph (which may not be possible always in city) try crossing the same at 15-30kmph and you will find the vehicle starts rocking sideways.
But its still not bad, i drive over some bad patches of road and a few very sharp/broken speed breakers regularly on my route, i have observed the scorpio takes them better then the Innova we had earlier.

Also depends on how loaded your vehicle is, have seen improved ride quality with the vehicle loaded with 6 people.

If you are looking only at ride quality then the safari storme is no doutb better but if your are looking at a vehicle with good ride+handling+robustness+features+performance then i dont think there is anything close to the Scorpion in the price bracket.
Gaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 13:56   #3079
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

4000km Update (sort of)

I was in Goa for the past week and drove a Hilux there for about 600km:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.44.25.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.44.17.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.44.58.jpg

Came back on Friday and the first thing I did on Saturday was to put some mileage on the Scorpio.
Moving from the Hilux to the Scorpion in less than 24 hours feels like leaving a Bolero behind and moving to an X3.

Feels good to have super confident braking (Hilux didn't stop as early as needed quite a number of times) and a weightless steering.
I just wish it had a 200hp/500nm tune as it feels slow (even the XUV700 tune would have worked wonders).

Found a nice spot to relax away from the city, bit of a trail too:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.14.29.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.14.225.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.14.25.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.13.42.jpg

Some bits were proper axle-twisters (not in the image) but did not even need to engage 4WH. MLD took care of that:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.13.40.jpg

Geolandars look amazing when dirty:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.13.432.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.13.43.jpg

Some modifications regarding lighting:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-1s2.44.58.jpg

Had to painstakingly redo the alignment as not a single technician in the country ever seems to know how to do it:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-202x31023-12.44.59.jpg

With low beams:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-a20231023-12.44.59.jpg

Alpha strike (mechwarrior lingo for everything at once):
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-imagce-20231023-12.45.00.jpg

City roads or none, it always feels at home:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231023-12.13.4312.jpg

Until next time
vredesbyrd is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 14:50   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
4000km Update (sort of)

Some modifications regarding lighting:

Had to painstakingly redo the alignment as not a single technician in the country ever seems to know how to do it:

With low beams:

Alpha strike (mechwarrior lingo for everything at once):

City roads or none, it always feels at home:

Until next time
Can you throw some more light (pun intended) on those aux lights? They look like some HJG units but I am not sure. Kindly, share the model and mounting details.

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd October 2023 at 17:05. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 15:08   #3081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Can you throw some more light (pun intended) on those aux lights? They look like some HJG units but I am not sure. Kindly, share the model and mounting details.
I have no idea what these are. Got them from Punjab Auto Accessories in Lalbagh: https://maps.app.goo.gl/PXa5yySiBb6BAAjN6?g_st=ic

I picked them because extremely bright and had a slight yellow/green tone. Also, the owner of the shop has a pair on his Creta

Mounting was done on the bumper by removing few bits of the lower plastic mesh grill

Their low beam alignment job is trash
vredesbyrd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 00:03   #3082
BHPian

I'm a fan of it right now, for the first time since the inception of brand-SCORPIO.
But one thing I can't let Mahindra continue to do is selling this macho, powerful, big daddy without ESP. Your 5 star rating too isn't valid on those non-esp variants.
Was going through the Z2,4,6 variants, currently they're charging 50K and 9 months waiting period for ESP variants, clearly discouraging the customers from those optional variants.
Mahindra might be confident about their order book and strong product pipeline( Thar 5D) , but this kind of tricky variant distribution looks dirt cheap. ASAP fix your chip provider and maintain a better attitude towards SAFETY, pricing doesn't matter you got pretty good immunity on it.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20231023235233.png
TorqueIndia is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 13:27   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
I'm a fan of it right now, for the first time since the inception of brand-SCORPIO.
But one thing I can't let Mahindra continue to do is selling this macho, powerful, big daddy without ESP. Your 5 star rating too isn't valid on those non-esp variants.
Was going through the Z2,4,6 variants, currently they're charging 50K and 9 months waiting period for ESP variants, clearly discouraging the customers from those optional variants.
Mahindra might be confident about their order book and strong product pipeline( Thar 5D) , but this kind of tricky variant distribution looks dirt cheap. ASAP fix your chip provider and maintain a better attitude towards SAFETY, pricing doesn't matter you got pretty good immunity on it.
Attachment 2520754
Book your vehicle with ESP, the waiting periods have come down considerably. You might get within 1-2 months.
sulliavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 11:01   #3084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Attachment 2520754

Leave the website and call up your local mahindra dealers or the ones in big cities. Most of them have plenty of Scorpio-N stock lying around and will even offer you a slight discount if you negotiate and agree to buy immediately.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 12:35   #3085

Hi folks,
I have a question. I recently brought a dashcam and using the usb cable plugged into the power port near the central console. works fine.
I had seen a youtube video where the guy had plugged it in the adjacent USB port and it was working. I tried the same and it worked.

What I noticed is that it was getting power even after the engine was shut off. My question now is whether its fine to plug it in the USB port. With this there is no need of hardwiring ?

Thanks!
Old 27th October 2023, 14:23   #3086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerosmith View Post
Hi folks,
I have a question. I recently brought a dashcam and using the usb cable plugged into the power port near the central console. works fine.
I had seen a Youtube video where the guy had plugged it in the adjacent USB port and it was working. I tried the same and it worked.

What I noticed is that it was getting power even after the engine was shut off. My question now is whether its fine to plug it in the USB port. With this there is no need of hardwiring ?

Thanks!
I've got tons of experience in this department. Unless your dashcam has two options, you will suffer limited functionality and / or battery drain.

1. Auto power off after X minutes (at standstill)
2. Park monitoring (impact based, not time lapse)

Often this is restricted to using OEM hardwire kits.
Even with hardwire kits, you will be best suited to using the system with park monitoring with high sensitivity when parking regularly, and time lapse for short periods (2 days without ignition) in risky areas (not in your front porch is what I mean.)
^ this is info directly sourced from nexdigitron with conversations every 6 months with their tech support (and technical they are.)

The in-built cut off voltages in some kits is abysmal (esp if they tone down from 12V to 5V USB power). For example it is 11.7 on my 70mai and the new kits are 11.9V. This is really low for a diesel engine, esp if the ambient are low since CCAs of the battery drop like a tank at lower charge levels.

TLDR - use an always on USB socket for a dashcam only if you have an auto off option on the unit. Alternatively hardwire a 12V solution (like nexdigitron A1 and quite unlike 70mai) directly to the batter only if it has a LVCD option (low voltage disconnect.)

For the adventurous, there are external LVCD options available everywhere but they have their own parasitic drain problems. I've got a small solar panel (AA from the UK) that can be used in conjunction with all of this for charge retention.

Last edited by wooka : 27th October 2023 at 14:26.
wooka is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 09:32   #3087

Recently completed 6500 kms on the ODO in my Scorpio-N Z8L D AT. Of the 6500 kms roughly 3000 kms were done on long trips, from Bangalore to Hampi, Chennai and Goa. Have covered pretty much all types of roads from ghats, butter smooth highways to long and painful stretches of broken roads. And the rest on Bangalore's city commutes (we all know the challenges there) What I can confidently say is that the vehicle is an absolute beast and gobbles up anything that you throw at it. Light steering is such a blessing and the automatic gear box is amazing. The best thing is that the vehicle is multi-dimensional unlike the Hilux, Thar or Jimny which are all great cars but serve specific purposes. I am extremely happy with the Scorpio and would definitely recommend.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_1846.jpg  

Nero is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 10:53   #3088
BHPian

First regen at 4196km. Instrument cluster and infotainment system refused to turn on. After 3 reboots, DPF warning shows up.
Let's see how long it takes:

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_9460.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_9461.jpeg

Edit: Is blue/white smoke and burning smell normal for a regen?

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 28th October 2023 at 10:59.
Old 28th October 2023, 11:43   #3089
Senior - BHPian

Smoke while on regen? That's a first. Please do get it checked once at a Mahindra workshop.

3 reboots for it to start up?

This is the sole reason I'm loving that fact that I didn't get my ScorpioN on time and it lead to better things.
Hope this is the last of your issues and it gets sorted.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 28th October 2023 at 11:45.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 14:57   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerosmith View Post
The powered USB is turned off after sometime if the key is not inserted, even if the doors are not locked. Even in Start position, "1 hour mode" is activated. So, M&M has been extra careful not to drain the battery. This is for my Z4 with physical key. It is highly likely that in higher models also, the powered USB is turned off if the vehicle is locked.
I also use the powered USB for my dashcam. Never removed it since the first time I plugged it in
So far, I haven't faced any battery drain problem. Once I parked it for 2 months straight.

A random thought: prospective buyers need not be jittery about price hikes now that Tata has brought out the new Harrier/Safari with attractive "Introductory price". I think Mahindra won't hike up the prices at least for the next 6-7 months.
NT_GT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks