Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2023, 18:03   #3166
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
You can always fix a huge metal bumper and some flood lights that are misaligned to blind the oncoming drivers. Add a lawyer sticker and a ruling party flag and you'll attain the final form.
By the way, congratulations on the booking, hope you get your SUV soon
Thanks, Amrit ji! Excellent tips. I wish they don't make me wait as long as they say they would.
Mr.Fawlty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 18:48   #3167
BHPian

Scorpio-N seems to have an expanding australia customer base. Beyond auto-pundits, here is a personal review, which also shows the kind of accessories that market offers for Scorpio-N. Wish we could have them here!

mk600 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 20:47   #3168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
For me it was 20% at 10K service,
Currently it has reached 53% at 16.5Kms, it will be 10-20% @20K service (predominantly bangalore city driving)

On thing I am curious about is the fuel economy of AT variants,
I see a lot of Youtube reviewers claiming higher figures but for me MID numbers range from 10.5-11.5 for the city and 12-14 on the highways, want inputs from other AT ScorpioN owner on their FE

Did you feel any difference in the NVH between the two,
We recently got a XUV700 (AT) AWD in the family and I have scorpioN (AT), and both I & my brother I felt the higher revving noise and more apparent shifts in XUV compared to ScorpioN, Which was counter intuitive for me as I had the perception that XUV will more refined that the scropio
Scorpio N definitely has better NVH as compared to XUV. Not only engine noise is less, but even road noise and body frame vibrations on potholes are also milder. During back to back test drives of both the vehicles (AT) before putting my foot forward for Scorpio N, this was a major factor in favour of Scorpio N.
About FE, I have lately realised that surprisingly, zoom mode is best for both performance and FE. Don't know how but thats the truth, atleast with me. Difference of at least 1.5 to 2kmpl between zap and zoom, later being more efficient. Only drawback of zoom mode is that vehicle becomes extra sensitive for pedal inputs. Zap is sedate but more smooth and comfortable, just like a Honda CVT.
Old 2nd December 2023, 19:43   #3169
BHPian

Re: Obervations after a long test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
The ScorpioN top-end model, i.e., Z8L, has better insulation than my Z4 AT DL. I may be wrong. Other owners can comment. Z4 AT DL cabin is decent but not as silent as Z8L. One can hear the diesel grunt/clatter. Insulation is better on top top-end model may be due to damping to support the 12-speaker Sony system I guess. I am planning to add damping material to the firewall.
You're actually right.
I've owned a Z6 diesel AT and now a Z8 4x4 diesel AT. The doors are better padded (and I haven't taken apart much else at the moment.)

The doors have Styrofoam type insulation BESIDES the regular plastic moisture shield. That should lend some insights. (additional) Damping for speakers? I doubt it.

Last edited by wooka : 2nd December 2023 at 19:48.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 13:14   #3170
BHPian

This Youtube channel is suggesting that in Australia, Scorpio-N will be available with same level of "Driver Assistance System" available in XUV 700! Watch at 11:20.
Rahkehs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 16:33   #3171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkehs View Post
This Youtube channel is suggesting that in Australia, Scorpio-N will be available with same level of "Driver Assistance System" available in XUV 700! Watch at 11:20.
This video also suggests that the Aussie guest is in Mahindra to test some "future products that Mahindra is coming" while driving Scorpio-N, at 0:40s

mk600 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 11:35   #3172
BHPian

I own a Scorpio Z8L Petrol purchased Dec 2022. I have set auto software update turned on. But do not see Apple carplay available. Anyone with this model got Airplay support? It is frustrating without it.
Old 6th December 2023, 13:12   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinbie2019 View Post
I own a Scorpio Z8L Petrol purchased Dec 2022. I have set auto software update turned on. But do not see Apple carplay available. Anyone with this model got Airplay support? It is frustrating without it.
The auto update will not do anything. You will have to visit the service center and get the update. The Apple update is available for long now.

Not sure why they have even given that auto update option. May be in future some updates might become available via it but not for now.
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 07:37   #3174
Senior - BHPian

I am confused between a Carens 1.5 DCT luxury, Seltos GT Line DCT and Scorpio Z8 diesel MT/AT. I have read about dpf issues in carens and seltos and therefore staying away from there. To all the diesel Scorpio N owners in this thread how has the dpf behaved for you ?

My annual running would be around 9000 kms, with 85% of it coming in city conditions. Some daily drives could be just within 6-7 kms radius.
Old 7th December 2023, 10:33   #3175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I am confused between a Carens 1.5 DCT luxury, Seltos GT Line DCT and Scorpio Z8 diesel MT/AT. I have read about dpf issues in carens and seltos and therefore staying away from there. To all the diesel Scorpio N owners in this thread how has the dpf behaved for you ?

My annual running would be around 9000 kms, with 85% of it coming in city conditions. Some daily drives could be just within 6-7 kms radius.
Skip Diesel please it would be wasteful. Pick up a GDI engined vehicle, it would perform well and you can enjoy the refinement too.

No DPF issues with any of the vehicles but they are all high milers and automatic transmission, so chances are very rare if they would ever ask for a manual regen. The MT XUV did ask for it once because of exclusive city running for more than a month, the task was completed in the parking itself.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 16:28   #3176
BHPian

Quote:
I am with 1300 km under belt in 4 months, with mix of 9 Km radius and occasional 20 km runs, all in Bangalore city. No DEF issues thus far, touchwood.
mk600 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 20:28   #3177
BHPian

Quote:
———-
To all the diesel Scorpio N owners in this thread how has the dpf behaved for you ?

My 1 year old, 19000KMs run Scorpio-N AT has had no DEF issue till date. I have driven to Spiti & Ladakh where avg speed is quite low but never had to do the Manual Regen. Most of the DEF and Limp mode issues have been from the MT owners. I think the in AT models, Gear changes occur at appropriate RPMs and hence the aforementioned issues are mostly non-existent.
However, if your annual is 9000KMs only why don’t you go for Petrol models?
Old 8th December 2023, 08:00   #3178
BHPian

How do we come to the conclusion that a petrol will make sense over diesel in terms of annual run of a car? Is there a minimum recommended number such as 15K or 20K that should be kept in mind if going for Diesel?

My run also would not be in the higher range but I went for diesel because I don't want to repent every time I go for refueling. Plus difference between Petrol and Diesel was just 50K which can be easily recovered.

I know maintenance of diesel is more but still somehow it was making more sense to me.
Old 8th December 2023, 11:07   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
How do we come to the conclusion that a petrol will make sense over diesel in terms of annual run of a car? Is there a minimum recommended number such as 15K or 20K that should be kept in mind if going for Diesel?
Although these days the price difference between Diesel and Petrol (Turbo) Vehicles has narrowed down but still there are few factors favoring petrol models:
1. Petrol Models are cheaper (50-55 K in Scorpio-N for same variant)
2. DEF Related issues and additional cost of DEF (20 Ltrs per 10000-12000 KMs for Scorpio-N).
3. Marginal cost difference between Petrol and Diesel
4. Govt. Policies wrt Diesel Vehicles (especially NCR)
For Scorpio-N diesel makes sense if one requires 4WD, otherwise for personal use where annual running is around 10000-12000 KMs, Petrol is not a bad option!
Rahkehs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 11:25   #3180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

My run also would not be in the higher range but I went for diesel because I don't want to repent every time I go for refueling. Plus difference between Petrol and Diesel was just 50K which can be easily recovered.

I know maintenance of diesel is more but still somehow it was making more sense to me.
I drove a BS6 Fortuner for 15 months and decided to sell it off because of the following:

DPF regen every 150 kms in city is a pain!
When you are parking and DPF regen starts, you need to wait for 10 mins till cycle completes
the NVH is pretty pathetic
Service intervals are shorter in diesels and DEF cost adds onto the fuel cost.
Price of petrol and diesel has almost reached similar levels
I live in NCR so diesels are a dying breed

On the other hand, on my regular highway runs, the Fortuner was a gem, but the pain to drive it in the city far outweighed this.

So 21K ms later, I took a tough decision and sold the fortuner (for just 50k less than what I paid for it!)

I have booked a Z8L ScorpioN AT as a replacement. The drive of the ScorpioN is significantly superior to the Fortuner in every aspect, that TGDI MStallion engine is a gem (my Thar has one in a lower state of tune and that has done 30k already) and the ASS of Mahindra (at least in NCR and Chandigarh) is way better than the much vaunted Toyota ASS.

Hope this helps

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 8th December 2023 at 11:27.
himanshugoswami is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks