Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2023, 22:10   #3241
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I’m guessing he mentioned the mileage of the diesel variant or he might have miscalculated because I don’t think it’s possible to get 15kmpl in a petrol Scorpio-N unless you are going downhill.
15 kmpl on MID is possible with the petrol engine, even in slight uphill gradient. I have done it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5524592 (Mahindra Scorpio-N Review)

In the same stretch downhill, I got 17.7. With the aerodynamics of a brick, Scorpio N gives best fuel economy when driven within 70-80 kmph with a light foot.
NT_GT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 22:34   #3242

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
My 4-months-old "new" car refused to start this morning. It was found that the battery was drained and showing 10.1 V in the meter.
It was jump-started by another battery and I kept the engine ON for half an hour post that.
Car model: Scorpio N Z8 diesel manual.
The culprit is the Adrenox/Alexa enabled infotainment system. Switch it off manually using its power button before getting out of the car and the issue will not repeat.

Reasoning:

I own a 2023 July Z6 Diesel manual and I faced the exact same issue few months back. Car was parked idle for 2 days and the battery was dead. In my case, the multimeter was showing 4 V on the dead battery. The car was not even responding to central lock remote.
Called the Mahindra RSA and got it jump started. The multimeter showed 13+ V on running ingine indicating that alternator was working properly.

I found no sense in getting the car checked by Mahindra because I have lots of after market accessories installed and I know they will blame them for the battery leech.

Next few days went by diagnosing the issue myself. Ruled out Illuminated scuff plate as the same switched off if I manually engage the door lock lever with a screw driver.
All othe aftermarket electric accessories are connected to ignition. They get power only if the ignition is ON. There is no way for them to get power when the ignition is OFF.
Moreover, I got those aftermarket accessories installed from my many years of trusted car modification shop on Day 1 of ownership and the car was troublefree for 4 months even when parked without usage for 3 weeks till this peculiar battery drain issue occured so the after market accessories cannot be blamed.

Then, I started to recall if I did anything unsual before I parked my car.
Then I remembered that I was showing off the Alexa handsfree features of my car to a work colleague before I parked it for 2 days.
The alexa got stuck in executing those commands and was not taking new commands either. Otherwise also, I have found that if alexa is stuck due to any reason, the only way to recover is power off and power on the infotainment sytem using its power button. Switching off the car and switching on again does not work for me.

Also that night, the "last updated" timestamp in the Adrenox mobile app(see attached picture) was changing every few seconds which usually changes only when the car is locked after parking and then remains same till the car is unlocked next time.

A quick google search also showed that many other stock Mahindra Scorpio N's and xuv 700's also faced the same battery drain issue.
Then I stumbled upon this gentleman's youtube video in which he is explaining how the infotainment system was the culprit in his XUV 700 battery drain case which got a software update and the issue got resolved.
It seems that the car's infotainment system is in some sort of deep sleep mode(still ON) even when the ignition is OFF.

From that day, I alwas keep a note mentally to switch off the infotainment syetem manually using its power button before I kill the engine and thankfully the battery drain issue has not reoccured even when the car was lying idle for 2 weeks in one case. Even took multimeter readings at random during this interval without once starting the engine and the voltage was constant at 12V.

This is the only thing I am doing differently after the battery drain issue occured and so I think its safe to assume that the stuck Adrenox/Alexa enabled infotainment system was the problem in my case.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-adrenox.png

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2024 at 16:32.
manasr28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 23:59   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2K_scorpioN View Post
2. what rpms are you most likely to hover at in a manual in 6th gear?
Coming to your question that i couldn't answer last time, would answer it now.

During a recent trip i observed for speeds 90kmph-100kmph in 6th gear the engine hovered around 1800-1900rpm.

Observation on Fuel Economy
Was stuck in a massive traffic jam on a ghat section where ~14kms took around 2hrs to cross, after the ghat section was over i reset the Average counter on the MID and to my surprise was able to see a max of 17.5kmpl which eventually stabilized to ~16.5kmpl (Couldn't take any pics as i was driving) for the remainder of 50kms drive on the highway, this when driving at around 90-100kmph in 6th gear with/without cruise control and AC set at 23, just 2 adults and 2 kids occupying the vehicle with very light luggage.

After the highway i had to drive around 25-30kms in the city with some heavy traffic for the last 1km, post which the final value shown on the MID was 12.5kmpl.

As per my experience until now, i feel ~15kmpl is an easily achievable figure on a Scorpio N petrol Manual while maintaining steady 90-95kmph.
Gaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 10:23   #3244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
after the ghat section was over i reset the Average counter on the MID and to my surprise was able to see a max of 17.5kmpl which eventually stabilized to ~16.5kmpl

Wow, these are unbelievable figures.. I'm assuming this was downhill? How many kilometres does your N have on the odo?
Old 1st January 2024, 11:00   #3245
BHPian

@Dodge_Viper, I would like to connect with you as I am based in Pune and brought the vehicle from Sahyadri motors. Since I cannot PM you, could you please share your contact details whenever you see this post, over email and I will get in touch with you.
Old 1st January 2024, 11:53   #3246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2K_scorpioN View Post
Wow, these are unbelievable figures.. I'm assuming this was downhill? How many kilometres does your N have on the odo?
No, not exactly a downhill, if you are aware of the stretch it was lonavala to pune stretch of the expressway, lonavala is at a slight higher elevation (~70/80mtr) compared to pune but thats nothing over a stretch of 45/50kms of the highway.

ODO currently is close to 3.8k kms
Gaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 12:37   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
Happened to me 2-3 times.
Wow, Mahindra really needs to improve its quality control levels.

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2024 at 16:32.
Old 1st January 2024, 14:37   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT_GT View Post
15 kmpl on MID is possible with the petrol engine, even in slight uphill gradient. I have done it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5524592 (Mahindra Scorpio-N Review)

In the same stretch downhill, I got 17.7. With the aerodynamics of a brick, Scorpio N gives best fuel economy when driven within 70-80 kmph with a light foot.
The mid in most cars is generally overly optimistic or just inaccurate over short distances, especially if you reset it in motion. I would recommend trying out a tank-tank method for calculating true mileage.

10-12kmpl is already impressive mileage for a BOF suv with a turbo petrol engine.
Cresterk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 17:37   #3249

Quote:
I would recommend trying out a tank-tank method for calculating true mileage.

10-12kmpl is already impressive mileage for a BOF suv with a turbo petrol engine.
I agree with both points. Tank to tank would be more accurate but if MID says 15 even a 13-14 is quite impressive.

But I guess if a TC gives 12.2 (highest I’ve achieved so far), a 13 isn’t unrealistic for a MT.

But I wonder what could cause such a difference, the Aisin TC Mahindra sources does have a lock up mechanism at constant high speeds to minimize losses I believe.

Guess it just the nature of the best. But I agree Cresterk, 11-12 is actually good mileage for the engine, gearbox and vehicle configuration.

Personally, I am a huge fan of gasoline powered butchness.. .
s2K_scorpioN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 17:17   #3250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnu17 View Post
Hello All,

I have purchased ScorpioN Z8L D AT last year October(Initial batch of manufactured vehicle) at Ramani Mahindra Coimbatore. Till date I have travelled around 14K and continuously facing oil leakage/spillage in the engine)
Team, does anyone have insights on the engine replacement process. It will be really helpful for me to proceed with the process since dealership informed that new replacement engine shipment has arrived.

I would like to know the pros and cons of doing the replacement and how to ensure its a brand new engine under warrenty. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th January 2024 at 05:44. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Old 4th January 2024, 18:13   #3251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Team, does anyone have insights on the engine replacement process. It will be really helpful for me to proceed with the process since dealership informed that new replacement engine shipment has arrived.

I would like to know the pros and cons of doing the replacement and how to ensure its a brand new engine under warrenty. Thanks in advance.
Not ideal for a new vehicle but so much better than opening up the engine and replacing parts at the service center. Under given circumstances, I will be at peace if the entire engine is replaced rather than changing internal bits and pieces. Go ahead with the replacement and wish you enjoy the ownership post this.

Regards.
Old 4th January 2024, 19:12   #3252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Engine replacement would definitely tank the resale value of the car. You might also need to get the engine number changed in RC.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 21:46   #3253
BHPian

This is a question for people in Mumbai.

Do you also get worried, when you drive into the parking of R-City Mall in Ghatkopar about getting the top of the vehicle getting scratched?

Did anyone actually get scrapped or is it just me? I am also curious on how people with roof top carriers would manage in such places?

Apart from this mall, I faced similar situation in the parking of a hotel in Ahmedabad? The ceiling had a sudden slope and it could have definitely hit my car, had I missed noticing it.
Old 4th January 2024, 22:54   #3254

Quote:
Engine replacement would definitely tank the resale value of the car. You might also need to get the engine number changed in RC.
Thanks for the response, but I dont have any other choice right, Service team had made five attempts to stop the oil leak, rather than having a vehicle with oil leak, getting a replacement engine is better in terms of resale value is what I thought.
Old 5th January 2024, 01:08   #3255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response, but I dont have any other choice right, Service team had made five attempts to stop the oil leak, rather than having a vehicle with oil leak, getting a replacement engine is better in terms of resale value is what I thought.
In any other country, you will be getting another car. But here, this is the best you will get. Get the engine replacement but also try to push for free extended warranty just as a gesture of good will.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks