Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2023, 03:57   #3136
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Current owners and prospective buyers of one of the 4x4 variants might find this of some interest.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpionryebuckprototype.jpg

Screengrab from a new Youtube channel by an Australian owner of the Scorpio N, named Daniel Snare, featuring a prototype of an extensively modded N by a company called Ryebuck. Some sort of a collaboration with Mahindra Oz, from what I gathered. Looks like the product is fast becoming a choice for overlanding enthusiasts there from the range of accessories/modifications being developed.
Mr.Fawlty is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 09:29   #3137
BHPian

Hello,

Quick help needed - Planning to fit fog lights for Scorpio N Z6, Can someone suggest good car accessories store or car electrician who can help fix lights in CHENNAI . I have already got OEM Fog lamps, not sure where to purchase wiring kit !

Need suggestion from fellow BHPian's in Chennai !

Cheers !
Old 21st November 2023, 11:36   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fawlty View Post
Current owners and prospective buyers of one of the 4x4 variants might find this of some interest.

Attachment 2533756

.... featuring a prototype of an extensively modded N by a company called Ryebuck.
This is fascinating stuff. Rushed to YouTube to check out the development. Looks like the suspension is being developed by ToughDog. They are a good company and know their stuff.

It'll be very interesting to see these developments. Some quality products will help the offroad usability of the N. One gripe I had with the N was that snow chains can't be put on the car. For this reason alone I cancelled the plan and am sitting on the fence waiting for the Thar 5D. But this puts N back on the chart.

Attaching the video for reference:
ralto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 12:20   #3139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
The max fuel that I have managed to get into my car is around 45 litres. And this is when the meter was showing that I could go only 20 KMs or so on current fuel.

The tank is 57 litres. Thats a discrepancy of 12 litres. Is the meter showing incorrect number or am I missing something?
Same was experienced by me. Once I was able to fill 47 litres of diesel when the meter showed 50kms.
Old 21st November 2023, 12:25   #3140
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
Facing one strange issue with the infotainment system of my Z8. It has a mind of its own .
Every few minutes the GPS loses its lock and suddenly I am either driving in the opposite lane or some other road which is 200 mts far. I have tried both with android and ios and issue is same.
It generally did not matter to me in Bangalore as I am well versed with the roads here, but during my recent trip to Varkala where there are narrow lanes everywhere I kept going to wrong directions due to this GPS issue.
Is anyone experiencing the same, any recent update which has fixed this issue, my car has the initial software version where wireless ACP and AA was introduced.

I drove my S-cross for 6.5 years with wired ACP but never faced this kind of issue.
.sourov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 13:15   #3141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
The max fuel that I have managed to get into my car is around 45 litres. And this is when the meter was showing that I could go only 20 KMs or so on current fuel.

The tank is 57 litres. Thats a discrepancy of 12 litres. Is the meter showing incorrect number or am I missing something?
Same was experienced by me. Once I was able to fill 47 litres of diesel when the meter showed 50kms.
Old 21st November 2023, 15:39   #3142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay_Sangar27 View Post
Hello members,

I have booked Z8 4*4 D-MT variant yesterday. I have following questions, and I would really appreciate if forum members can put light on it.

1. the vehicle comes with 17"-inch steel wheels, is it recommended to get 18"inch alloys or 17"inch alloys? is the speed calibrated for each variant according to their Rim size or upgrading to factory spec alloys doesn't require any calibration?

2. is there a provision for dead pedal in manual variants?

3. I am aware about parking sensors. However, can we have front camera installed as an accessory from the dealer?

4. Has anyone experienced any issues during low to medium off-road sessions where during wheel articulation it was brushing the wheel well?

5. Which Tyres are best for all season driving? Are stock Tyres sufficient for touring purpose with a family of 7?

6. Can Pune folks please comment on the dealership experience with Sahyadri motors (Baner)?

Thanks,
Sanjay

I was faced with a similar situation. I therefore decided to change the variant to Z8L 4WD Manual . What helped was that in the month of September Mahindra had raised the prices of Z8 4WD by around Rs. 20-23 k while at the same time lowered the price of the Z8 L 4 WD Manual by around Rs 8- 9 K.

With Z8 L 4 WD Manual I got 17 inch alloys which i got changed to Continental all terrain 17 inchers on the stock alloys ( 265). Had to pay a differential of Rs. 20 K for a set of 4 Tyres. These tyres are doing well and don't stick out or rub with the wheel arches. Moreover there is enough space in the wheel wells for the 17 Inchers . (they are 265 mm vs 245 given by Mahindra)

With Z8 L, I also got a front camera as well as driver drowsiness detection which is not there in Z8.

The Z8 L 4 WD Manual does come with a dead pedal which is pretty useful. What the Scorpio N Manual lacks is a wireless charger (Automatic Z8L's have this feature). A more useful feature which both Scorpio N and XUV 700 lack compared to the Harrier or the Safari is ventilated seats. This is something that cannot be easily upgraded outside and is rather useful in Delhi/ NCR.

While HT tyres are more than sufficient for overlanding, I decided to upgrade to AT's as they give better performance in mud, snow and sand. If one is buying a 4 WD, its better go in for AT tyres as well.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 15:56   #3143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
Hello Everyone,
Facing one strange issue with the infotainment system of my Z8. It has a mind of its own .
Every few minutes the GPS loses its lock and suddenly I am either driving in the opposite lane or some other road which is 200 mts far. I have tried both with android and ios and issue is same.
Same here. Z8 Adronex was updated for AA, ACP in my last service in Sept'23. While wired AA is somewhat better than wireless anything, Maps still is a big bother to have zero sense of traffic or ETA. Have switched off both AA & ACP, and back to reading off Gmaps on mobile.
Old 21st November 2023, 21:27   #3144
GKU
BHPian

10,000 KMs and 2nd service update.

Vehicle is performing really well. I am unable to find any real cons after 10K KMs. In summary, positives are continue to be positives and no new niggles as such. Personally, this vehicle is pleasure to drive in city, highways, bad roads, no roads and what not. I had to fill DEF at at 11K KMs and there was warning saying vehicle will not start in another 2000Kms if I don’t fill the DEF.

2nd service experience at Chrome Motors Mysore Road.

I gave it to service at 91xx KMs as we were planning a road trip. Overall service experience was good. Total bill came out to be Rs. 3500. They forgot to reset the service reminder and vehicle delivery was delayed to next day. They also did wiring harness inspection which I did not ask for. Service adviser told me that “ wiring harness inspection is a part pf recall “ . I guess there were some issues with Scorpion N’s wiring harness, but I did not recognize any.

Since there was DEF warning and crackling sound from the speakers, took it to Chrome motors again. They flashed /reset the music system and did firmware updates for ECU. This happened at 11300Kms. Since crackling sound from speakers are intermittent issue and happened only twice, there is no way to ascertain that problem is solved. Total bill was 900 for DEF.

Video of crackling noise. This happened twice and issue disappeared after few minutes.

DEF Fill
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-def-filling.jpeg

ECU Updates
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-ecu-flashing.jpeg

FE has settled to ~15 KMPL on highways and 11 to 12 on peak Bangalore traffic (AC on all the time).
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-last-10-fe-figures.jpeg

Does anyone know what is it trying to tell here (red circle) ? This is visible most of the time and disappears sometime. I could not find any info in user manual
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-strange-thing-dash.jpeg

Off-roading in Scorpio N 2WD
There are many nature track near my home and wanted to test my humble 2WD ScorpioN there. It performed beautifully on very bad roads. No scraping , no rattling . I don’t say these trails are for serious off-roading but difficult for usual sedans and hatchbacks nevertheless.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-start-trail.jpeg

Road Ahead
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-t-road-ahead.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-mud-patch.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-t3.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-trail2.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-t4.jpeg

This looks not that difficult in photo but in reality it was very steep .
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-t5.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-tt1.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-tt3.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-t-steep-3.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-t-steep.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-t7.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-offroading.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-t9.jpeg

Cheers !

Last edited by GKU : 21st November 2023 at 21:31.
GKU is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 23:34   #3145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
I had to fill DEF at at 11K KMs and there was warning saying vehicle will not start in another 2000Kms if I don’t fill the DEF.
What was the remaining DEF percentage at 11k km? Based on my driving experience in Bangalore traffic and a few highway runs, it seems that DEF is consumed at a rate of 10% for every 1K km.

At 47xx km, the DEF remaining was 65%, which I recently topped up. So, I was expecting that by the 10k service, it would be completely empty or around 5%, unless it gets topped up like I did.

Quote:

Does anyone know what is it trying to tell here (red circle) ? This is visible most of the time and disappears sometime. I could not find any info in user manual
Attachment 2533962

It appears to be a scroll bar. The Fuel Info menu contains additional information that can be accessed by scrolling up or down, and the bar indicates the position on the page.

In some cases, where there are no other items to be displayed, like in navigation or alerts, there may be no scroll bar.
KumarS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 02:08   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyaym View Post

The reserve tank is not calculated when distance to empty is shown.

Quote:
10,000 KMs and 2nd service update.

Cheers !
It's a scroll bar. You can scroll down on that page to show more items.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 06:07   #3147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
The reserve tank is not calculated when distance to empty is shown.
Yes, that must be the obvious reason. I did not expect it was as much as 10 liters. My guess was around 5 liters. Generally 10-12 percent of the capacity is earmarked for reserve.
Old 22nd November 2023, 10:56   #3148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyaym View Post
Yes, that must be the obvious reason. I did not expect it was as much as 10 liters. My guess was around 5 liters. Generally 10-12 percent of the capacity is earmarked for reserve.
My guess was same. So it means that the car can go a further approx 100 km when the distance to empty becomes 0. I am assuming 10Kmpl mileage.

Not that I will want to test that
Old 22nd November 2023, 11:31   #3149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
With Z8 L 4 WD Manual I got 17 inch alloys which i got changed to Continental all terrain 17 inchers on the stock alloys ( 265). Had to pay a differential of Rs. 20 K for a set of 4 Tyres. These tyres are doing well and don't stick out or rub with the wheel arches. Moreover there is enough space in the wheel wells for the 17 Inchers . (they are 265 mm vs 245 given by Mahindra)
So the vehicle is running on 265 / 65 / R17 tyres? or have you gone for a profile lower than 65 to fit the section width 265 mm? Please upload some pictures.
Old 22nd November 2023, 21:22   #3150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fawlty View Post

Attachment 2533756

Screengrab from a new Youtube channel by an Australian owner of the Scorpio N, named Daniel Snare, featuring a prototype of an extensively modded N by a company called Ryebuck. Some sort of a collaboration with Mahindra Oz, from what I gathered. Looks like the product is fast becoming a choice for overlanding enthusiasts there from the range of accessories/modifications being developed.
I am yet to check the video but is this plug and play? If not, this seriously impacts the road legality of the vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks