Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2022, 15:34   #61
BHPian

re: Maruti Grand Vitara Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
We got a chance to take a very short spin in the regular Smart Hybrid equipped with a 6-speed torque converter AT, the same powertrain as the 2022 XL6 and the Brezza.
Hi Chetan,
Thanks for such a comprehensive review.
I just want to understand that will Mild Hybrid MT be able to pull 5 passenger with full luggage on steep uphill like 30 to 40 degree in case of start stop traffic at hills ?

I have an Maruti A Star and when I compare increase in Power to weight its only 13.09 % and similarly Torque to weight is 8% more than what I drive.

A star feels very lethargic on hills and I think on very steep slope it can suffer so I am thinking that GV will also be very similar at least what it looks on paper.

I am considering XL6/GV/Brezza and Nexon as of now as option.
Old 20th September 2022, 15:36   #62
BHPian

Notably, in the link below, there is some breakeven analysis, and says that based on current cost structure hybrids cannot compete against petrol.

Quote:
CRISIL Research suggests that hybrid vehicles can compete for market share with diesel vehicles and not against petrol or CNG variants based on cost economics. The current price differential between a hybrid and petrol variant is ~30 percent while that between a hybrid and diesel is 15 percent. For a personal petrol vehicle buyer who on average drives 10,000 km annually, the breakeven for a hybrid would only be over 10 years based on current ARAI mileage figures, says Pushan Sharma, director of CRISIL research.
Link
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 16:54   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

A fantastic mileage test of the strong hybrid Grand Vitara, I am impressed by the fact that the car could run 1200+ kms on a single tank of fuel, of course the battery helping…

Pure EV mode will make the run for 1.5 - 2 kms at max.

Headlight test of the Grand Vitara:

Mileage test of the NeoDrive 1.5L K15C MT:

CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 18:42   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnujKapur View Post
Hi Chetan,
...will Mild Hybrid MT be able to pull 5 passenger with full luggage on steep uphill like 30 to 40 degree in case of start stop traffic at hills?
Full passenger + luggage load in steep hills? The 1.5 NA mild hybrid is NOT the car for it. Should be manageable occasionally but I'd look elsewhere if it's a recurring use case.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 19:22   #65
BHPian

Thanks Chetan.
I live in UP planes but I have plans taking it to hills occasionally and I have my mom who is senior citizen so I cannot ask her to get down while I make the car climb up.
It will be occasional but I don't want an embarrassing moment after spending 15L

Still I will test drive and from my experience I also feel the same what you have experienced.

I have visited XL6 owner club on facebook and people have reported that XL6 could do up hill climb but I have to test this one by myself.

I am assuming XL6 and GV will be absolutely identical in driving.
AnujKapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 22:22   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Chetan.
I live in UP planes but I have plans taking it to hills occasionally and I have my mom who is senior citizen so I cannot ask her to get down while I make the car climb up.
It will be occasional but I don't want an embarrassing moment after spending 15L

Still I will test drive and from my experience I also feel the same what you have experienced.

I have visited XL6 owner club on facebook and people have reported that XL6 could do up hill climb but I have to test this one by myself.

I am assuming XL6 and GV will be absolutely identical in driving.
Do you intend to cover mountain roads tougher than Killar-Kishtwar route? See this YouTube video where an Ertiga with almost full payload was seen passing through these roads.

If you do not leave the tarmac and choose the right time for the hill drives (avoiding peak monsoon, snowfall etc.), Keep the tyres and the vehicle in good condition, and try to drive patiently; the GV perhaps won't disappoint you. Pick up the AWD if pocket permits and AT is not an essential requirement. An average FE of 16+ kmpl after your hill drive will ensure a wide smile on your face.

If outright performance, top notch interior quality are the priorities, GV is not for you. GV interior is very cheap and typical Maruti. You will find a "gamcha" quality "shamiyana" instead of a sunshade under the sunroof. Rear horizontal tail lamp section gaps are uneven.

Last edited by RijuC : 20th September 2022 at 22:25.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 22:46   #67

Would be grateful to get comments on the puddle lights -its efficiency and utility from their hands on experience from the Grand Vitara reviewers.
Old 21st September 2022, 00:41   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Do you intend to cover mountain roads tougher than Killar-Kishtwar route? See this YouTube video where an Ertiga with almost full payload was seen passing through these roads.
https://Youtu.be/xC3Z1LSH1ms
If you do not leave the tarmac and choose the right time for the hill drives (avoiding peak monsoon, snowfall etc.), Keep the tyres and the vehicle in good condition, and try to drive patiently; the GV perhaps won't disappoint you. Pick up the AWD if pocket permits and AT is not an essential requirement. An average FE of 16+ kmpl after your hill drive will ensure a wide smile on your face.

If outright performance, top notch interior quality are the priorities, GV is not for you. GV interior is very cheap and typical Maruti. You will find a "gamcha" quality "shamiyana" instead of a sunshade under the sunroof. Rear horizontal tail lamp section gaps are uneven.
Hi Riju,
I got your point and also saw the whole video. The roads are pretty bas but not steep in terms of slope. Even I am sure any car can do that with full load.
And it's older version of ertiga which had more power I guess 115 bhp.
I have recently visited gangtok and till gangtok it's all good but when you look around gangtok you will find that there are such steep slopes that no one among us saw before.
There were 2-3 hairpins where every one was just hoping that we don't stop in the middle.
So i was thinking from that perspective as well. I have seen wagon r also on those terrain and steep slopes but wagonr has much better power to weight ratio that xl6 or gv. So that is why I was worried
AnujKapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 01:21   #69
BHPian

We all agree that the mild hybrid may struggle on steep climbs. It would be interesting to hear if full hybrids will fare better.
Can it be an effortless climb or just a minor improvement over mild hybrids? I am assuming the car is full loaded with 5 passengers and some luggage.
smilingakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 08:34   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Riju,
I got your point and also saw the whole video. The roads are pretty bas but not steep in terms of slope. Even I am sure any car can do that with full load.
And it's older version of ertiga which had more power I guess 115 bhp.
I have recently visited gangtok and till gangtok it's all good but when you look around gangtok you will find that there are such steep slopes that no one among us saw before.
There were 2-3 hairpins where every one was just hoping that we don't stop in the middle.
So i was thinking from that perspective as well. I have seen wagon r also on those terrain and steep slopes but wagonr has much better power to weight ratio that xl6 or gv. So that is why I was worried
Its the torque to weight ratio that matters when it comes to the steepest of climbs.

When visiting gangtok you would have seen many Boleros stuffed with 10 or more people climbing those slopes. Do you know Bolero has less Nm/kg than Ertiga?

If that is not enough, take my words for it. None of your passengers will need to get down to tackle any slope in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingakash View Post
We all agree that the mild hybrid may struggle on steep climbs. It would be interesting to hear if full hybrids will fare better.
Can it be an effortless climb or just a minor improvement over mild hybrids? I am assuming the car is full loaded with 5 passengers and some luggage.
You will need to plan and prepare for your overtakes and downshift at hairpins thats all. It's not like you won't be able to carry 5 passengers in the car. Trust me I have seen cars with much worse engines carry way more people up very steep hills. Yes it won't be as effortless as it should have been in a car costing almost 20L.
YD14 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 09:16   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I just want to understand that will Mild Hybrid MT be able to pull 5 passenger with full luggage on steep uphill like 30 to 40 degree in case of start stop traffic at hills ?
A FWD vehicle with full payload climbing the slope of 40 deg incline in start stop traffic is a tough task! Force Gurkha has a gradability of 35 deg.

You can search with the keyword "gradability". There are very good technical discussions and references available in Team-BHP. One such discussion link is:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...y-vehicle.html (Measuring the Gradeability of a vehicle)
Another link:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...ulation-3.html (Do Diff locks compensate for lack of articulation?)

Perhaps we need some more real life test drive experience in demanding situations for the GV to understand its' full potential; and then we can decide whether to accept or dismiss it for our intended usage.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 10:48   #72
BHPian

Amongst all the cars that I have had, only ford Figo refused to climb a steep hill in Himachal. I attributed that to diesel engine being low on bhp. So I’m confident that GV will be able to do that kind of incline even if it means a bit of struggling with the clutch.
shivmarwaha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 12:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Its the torque to weight ratio that matters when it comes to the steepest of climbs.

When visiting gangtok you would have seen many Boleros stuffed with 10 or more people climbing those slopes. Do you know Bolero has less Nm/kg than Ertiga?

If that is not enough, take my words for it. None of your passengers will need to get down to tackle any slope in the car.

You will need to plan and prepare for your overtakes and downshift at hairpins thats all. It's not like you won't be able to carry 5 passengers in the car. Trust me I have seen cars with much worse engines carry way more people up very steep hills. Yes it won't be as effortless as it should have been in a car costing almost 20L.
Actually you are right what I somewhere also feel but not with example of Bolero.
lets take an example of of WagonR I have seen and also being driven around in wagonr and being so low in Torque/Weight ratio it could climb.

I agree planning and then tackling the turns and steep slope is the key and with hill start assist it becomes easier to get the required power.

But I am skeptical about paying 15 lakhs and then struggling with the same problem.
So in my mind the question in better safety and stability over my current car in all risky possible situation and rest lies in hands of god.

I have a hotel nearby where the parking is very steep. I have seen my car struggling and Honda amaze struggling there maybe I have to test XL6 there to get an idea of GV which seems to be exactly same in terms of power torque and weight.
Old 21st September 2022, 12:59   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
A FWD vehicle with full payload climbing the slope of 40 deg incline in start stop traffic is a tough task! Force Gurkha has a gradability of 35 deg.

You can search with the keyword "gradability". There are very good technical discussions and references available in Team-BHP. One such discussion link is:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...y-vehicle.html (Measuring the Gradeability of a vehicle)
Another link:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...ulation-3.html (Do Diff locks compensate for lack of articulation?)

Perhaps we need some more real life test drive experience in demanding situations for the GV to understand its' full potential; and then we can decide whether to accept or dismiss it for our intended usage.
Thanks Riju I totally agree with you and since the TD vehicle is not available so just doing on paper analysis.

And I suspect Nexa showrooms in small city like Varanasi are going to provide TD vehicle any soon. They did not provide TD XL6 even after 2 months of launch so have to test I guess XL6 now to understand GV and it wont be exact match but at least fair amount of conclusion can be drawn from it.
Old 21st September 2022, 13:06   #75
BHPian

I think Maruti has done a great job. Whenever I search for alternative to replace my 7 year old Scorpio 4wd ( I will replace the Scorpio in next 4 years), I am always confused. I don't want the tantrums of BS6 diesel. I think for touring purpose, Grand Vitara AWD might be a good option. We may have to look at the Jimny if it is launched at all. Other than that, a petrol AWD with normal power, wide service network of Maruti and MSIL peace of mind, I find this to be a perfect daily drive and occasional hill trips in AWD guise.
DrivingNirvana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks