Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 03:07   #181
BHPian

Re: Maruti Grand Vitara Review

I'm from Kerala and I have been following up with dealerships here for months now regarding the GV. They told me that they haven't started taking orders because the car is "not yet launched in Kerala". This doesn't sound right to me, as all media outlets and even Tbhp members have confirmed all across India that they have made their bookings weeks ago. Last week, he assured me that he would call me as soon as they started accepting bookings.

How would this work? I guess MSIL would have a separate allotment list for each state with quotas based on the demand, ensuring that the waiting period remains in the same range all across India. Already, we had issues with irregular waiting times inside the state itself for popular products like the Baleno. My neighbour had booked a Baleno here in Trivandrum and they had mentioned a waiting period of 2 months plus. He made some enquiries at the dealership in his hometown near Idukki, and got ready delivery of the car, with the only trouble being color selection and the drive.

What I like about the GV is that even the base variants are not completely barebones, or lacking in premium features. For example, they have given projector headlamps and LED lighting across all variants. Even the base Sigma gets the LED DRLs, LED tail lamps and indicators, Climate control, Color MID, Sliding Armrest, Tilt+Telescopic steering, Keyless Entry with Push button start, Seat height adjust, rear AC vents, Auto fold ORVM, Vanity mirrors, Rear Armrest etc at just 10.45 lacs. Even the wheel caps look well designed, and there isn't a deliberate attempt to shame the potential buyer into going for a higher variant by giving the car some el-cheapo parts, like an H4 reflector headlamp, silver aluminium painted wheels, non-painted plastic bits, manual adjust mirrors etc. They could have lowered the entry price under 10L by doing it, but they didn't and I appreciate that. The thing lacking in the Sigma is an Audio system, but IMO, by not offering a cheap audio system with digit or dot matrix fonts from 80s, they have left the choice to the customer. If you compare it to the Kia Seltos HTE or the Creta E, it looks very feature rich. It doesn't feel as if you had to make sacrifices in day to day features for the sake of having that Grand Vitara badge. Of course, this is just my opinion. I also might be missing something big, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Moving up to the Delta variant, you get better lighting with illuminated footwells, glovebox and boot. You also get the AT option, incidentally, it is the cheapest AT option in the segment, but the paddle shifters and 6 speed TC sure doesn't feel like a cheap option. (Not including the iMTs). You also get Cruise control, Smartplay infotainment system with connected car tech, most of which are features that you can only find in 15 lacs+ range variants in the competition.

Last edited by vivekgk : 28th September 2022 at 03:10.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 06:24   #182
BHPian

It was interesting to watch the launch journey of the GV. Just trying to put down some linkages:

Solid Pipeline -> Bold Pricing ? Or is it something else ? Has the BOM cost increased leading to such pricing or is it quest for higher margins ? I don't know.

Bold Pricing -> Partial Cancellations? Price disappointment for at least some people. Is it bad for Maruti? Not necessarily, as at least some people will still stay in the Maruti stable. Hint Brezza.

Bold Pricing -> Demand under control, waiting lists will be shorter. Good for buyers. Also, discounts may surface after the initial excitement.

Strong Hybrid. Interestingly around.40% booking interest was for strong hybrid. This is supposed to be an elixir for India's quest for "average kitna hai". It will be interesting to watch the market response. Hopefully data will be available in the coming months.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 28th September 2022 at 06:37.
Old 28th September 2022, 07:46   #183
BHPian

There is a video review by Overdrive on the comparative fuel economy of Grand Vitara Mild Hybrid(AT) and Grand Vitara Strong Hybrid. At the end of their drive cycle, the Mild Hybrid(AT) reportedly returned 15.73 KMPL whereas Strong Hybrid returned 28.43 KMPL, a difference of nearly 12.7 KMPL. Details of the drive cycle like average speed, distance covered is not provided. However, both the vehicles, I believe, were put to the test in same conditions at same speed and at same time. Considering this, the difference is mind boggling.

I hold a booking for GV Zeta Smart Hybrid MT variant and a Hyryder "S" Strong hybrid ECVT variant. Mostly, I would be going with the Strong Hybrid.
DImPo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 08:25   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Benefits for a limited time on the Grand Vitara Strong-Hybrid:

Name:  1324522482zwseatsaccessorisesgravitara3_720x540.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  413969740zwseatsaccessorisesgravitara7_720x540.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  45.4 KB

- Limited time offer includes an extended warranty of five years (1 lakh km).

- Pristine Nexa accessory package includes all-weather 3D mats and a vacuum cleaner.

- The new accessories help bridge the price gap compared with the strong hybrid Toyota Hyryder.

Quote:
The Pristine accessories package is different from the Enigmax and Enigmax X Collection trim packages offered on the SUV, and gets you:

- Front bumper, rear skid plate and side skirt garnishes in black and black chrome.

- Headlight surrounds and side mouldings in black chrome.

- Door sill guard over the plastic scuff plate.

- All-weather 3D floor mats, PVC 3D boot mat and trunk sill protector.

- Nexa-branded seat cushion set.

- Vacuum cleaner
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th September 2022 at 08:26.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 09:11   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
My neighbour had booked a Baleno here in Trivandrum and they had mentioned a waiting period of 2 months plus. He made some enquiries at the dealership in his hometown near Idukki....
Maybe have to do with the demand difference between the two places. Best way to get hold of the Baleno is enquire at the Toyota dealer. They always seem to have the Glanza on stock. Talking about Toyota, feel their attitude has been pathetic compared to Maruti's. The Hyryder is yet to be on display at Nippon Toyota, while the Grand Vitara has reached Nexa of Technovalley a couple of days ago. Nippon Toyota appears clueless and everytime they just keep on parroting that 'virtual launch' is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
What I like about the GV is that even the base variants are not completely barebones, or lacking in premium features. For example, they have given projector headlamps and LED lighting across all variants. Even the base Sigma gets the LED DRLs, LED tail lamps and indicators, Climate control, Color MID, Sliding Armrest, Tilt+Telescopic steering, Keyless Entry with Push button start, Seat height adjust, rear AC vents, Auto fold ORVM, Vanity mirrors, Rear Armrest etc at just 10.45 lacs. Even the wheel caps look well designed, and there isn't a deliberate attempt to shame the potential buyer into going for a higher variant by giving the car some el-cheapo parts, like an H4 reflector headlamp, silver aluminium painted wheels, non-painted plastic bits, manual adjust mirrors etc. They could have lowered the entry price under 10L by doing it, but they didn't and I appreciate that. The thing lacking in the Sigma is an Audio system, but IMO, by not offering a cheap audio system

Moving up to the Delta variant, you get better lighting with illuminated footwells, glovebox and boot. You also get the AT option, incidentally, it is the cheapest AT option in the segment, but the paddle shifters and 6 speed TC sure doesn't feel like a cheap option. (Not including the iMTs). You also get Cruise control, Smartplay infotainment system with connected car tech, most of which are features that you can only find in 15 lacs+ range variants in the competition.
True. Not sure if it's Creta or Seltos, but sure that one or both of them lack ESP and hill hold assist in the base variants. Add to that both have shameful rear benches in the base variant with neither adjustable headrests or an armrest. While the Grand Vitara/Hyryder not only has proper three headrests and an armrest, but also a 3 point seatbelt for the middle passenger. No music system, but they have kept the steering mounted audio controls and 2 speakers. But, guess most buyers would look at the gaping hole in the dashboard and not look at the other positive aspects. Would either upgrade to other variants or jump ships.

Personally for me, the only glaring omission in the Sigma is the lack of rear wiper/wash. Rest all are expected.

Last edited by DicKy : 28th September 2022 at 09:25.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 12:07   #186
BHPian

Today I received the price sheet for the Grand Vitara for Gurgaon location. Attaching the file here.

My booking is for Smart Hybrid ZETA Automatic Transmission. OTR seems to be 18.2 Lakhs in Gurgaon.

The Scorpio N Z4 AT Petrol OTR is 17.65 Lakhs, and Diesel OTR is 18.4 Lakhs for Gurgaon.

In GV, we get it fairly feature loaded, except 360 deg Camera.

In Scorpio N, it is a bare bone SUV, without any feature and feel good factors (black door opening lever) and usual burden of extremely low FE.

I'll try to have a TD of GV and then decide. The NEXA SA says vehicles are not yet available for TD. But the GV is allotted against my booking.

GV booking was done in the system on 22nd July, 2022 by the Dealership (Competent NEXA, Gurgaon).
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Grand Vitara Review-screenshot_202209281152462.png  

Last edited by RijuC : 28th September 2022 at 12:23.
Old 28th September 2022, 13:04   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Hyryder Vs. Maruti Grand Vitara pricing:

The Hyryder mild-hybrid costs up to Rs 50,000 more than the Maruti SUV’s corresponding variants.

Its strong-hybrid trims are Rs 50,000 more affordable than the Grand Vitara’s.

Maruti Grand Vitara Review-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th September 2022 at 13:05.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:02   #188
BHPian

Here's the ready reckoner for the GV. It has some interesting Q&A handling section for the sales guys. [ATTACH=Grand Vitara-Ready Reckoner-NEW.pdf]2362677[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Grand Vitara-Ready Reckoner-NEW.pdf (8.70 MB, 653 views)
Old 28th September 2022, 14:06   #189
BHPian

After seeing the price list, I have dropped my plans of booking the Grand Vitara. The GV seems overpriced for what it offers. I was interested in the mid spec auto mild hybrid variant. The OTR in Delhi is almost 18L. I was expecting the mid spec OTR prices to be 15-16L.

As mentioned by others on this esteemed forum, there are going to be a slew of cancellations coming Maruti's way (especially for the mid and top mild hybrid variants). Hope to see some discounts in Q1 FY23.
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:12   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Today I received the price sheet for the Grand Vitara for Gurgaon location. Attaching the file here.
Can you ask your SA regarding the 67K worth of warranty (5 years/1L kms) and accessories pack being offered on the strong hybrids and why the amount of 5 year warranty and essential kit is included into the price of the strong hybrids when the company says that it's an introductory offer?

I see something similar across all the places. Is Maruti aware of this? To me, it appears as a dealer level miscommunication or a fraud.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:16   #191

There was a lot of excitement around the new breed of SUVs from Maruti. Grand Vitara in its original avatar was a very capable car back in its day, a serious and handsome SUV. It was but natural for me to await its arrival with bated breath. The first teasers heightened the curiosity to new levels really, till I could no longer wait and booked it right away. Finally I checked them out in flesh and they appeared to be really good offerings from Maruti. It was as if the company finally was trying to shed its people's car image. Some where deep down it also struck that they may finally start charging for all they were offering .

Car prices are now settling down at a much higher levels in India, and I am talking about the ex showroom prices here. This might have to do something with higher taxes at the manufacturers' end, obviously higher prices of inputs across the spectrum. How much ever the naysayers may rant, Maruti's offerings have improved in quality compared to a decade back.

The price list of Grand Vitara however turned everything on its head, I am sure a lot of people's decision about getting a new car also hinged upon the GV's prices. Grand Vitara would be priced above the Brezza was something that was expected, but a premium of this magnitude was frankly not. Over four decades of Maruti amongst us and we have grown to believe it to be value for money. In my opinion a brand that is more dependent on volumes lays less stress on premium.

Finally coming to the Grand Vitara line of SUVs, what was Maruti thinking? Frankly not very sure really, on the one hand they tried cashing on their fuel efficiency and on the other they were trying to churn out cars that were 'premium'. In this process they had an oxymoron. In my honest opinion you can have 'lookers' who might be sedate, or you can have 'bad boys' who can be beasts on the road, but how can one have premium cars with premium price tags which take forever to reach even 100 km per hour? This really beats me. You have premium and people would like to pay for them if they have performance matching their looks! I am sure there could have been a separate line , may be a ' Z line' or something with the current price range which could have been armed with a booster-jet or a turbo petrol engine with outright grunt and performance. The present fuel efficient bunch with the naturally aspirated engine could have been launched with lower prices across the range. I am not even asking for a diesel here. Not all of us who buy Marutis do for its fuel efficiency, peace of mind as an owner is also high on our priority.

As they say the lesser you expect the lesser you are disappointed, maybe this time, I had expected a lot from the Grand Vitara, still sometimes furtively glance forlornly at the Australian Grand Vitara with its 1.4L booster-jet that's open in a Suzuki tab on my laptop!

Last edited by Eddy : 28th September 2022 at 14:49. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Crazy4cars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 15:24   #192
BHPian

Yet another lucky car to get success via TBHP. I still remember the rant by us tbhpians for tata punch, see where it is.
Brezza was also crucified for pricing, soared to No 1 sales. Just saying ��
Old 28th September 2022, 17:32   #193
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Bharath Alla for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I want to share an update on my Grand Vitara booking and hope that this information will be useful to other enthusiasts.

I live in Hyderabad and have booked a Grand Vitara Alpha+ in July with Varun Nexa. Today, I received the price list from the sales executive. I mentioned to him that the prices are higher than the Hyryder and I showed interest in buying the Hyryder instead of Grand Vitara. The sales executive was very kind and mentioned a lot of advantages of buying a Maruti over a Toyota. He mentioned that Nexa is offering free accessories worth Rs. 35,000 and an extended warranty worth Rs. 45,000 free for the first few bookings and mine is one of them.

This has made me reconsider the Grand Vitara as I can save Rs. 80,000 in total. That makes the Grand Vitara cheaper by Rs. 30,000 than the Hyryder.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 18:53   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to Bharath Alla for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
Isn't the introductory package worth 67K as mentioned on Nexa website too , which includes 5 years extended warranty and some Pristine accessories package. From where this 80K scheme came up. I've also booked from Varun Nexa (in Vijayawada) on the 1st day of bookings opening and no update yet. I was told they don't have any update on the strong hybrid availability, even for test drive. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 28th September 2022 at 18:59.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 21:00   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Attaching pricelist for Ranchi, Jharkhand

Maruti Grand Vitara Review-img20220928wa0001.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks