Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2024, 15:11   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I bought an Innova Hycross Hybrid ZX(O) this month (Sep 2024) in pearl white. Even I got a shorter version of user guide unlike my previous Innova Crysta which had the complete owners manual.
However If we install Toyota i-connect app (both iPad and iPhone versions available) we get to read detailed user manual. We can even download same for offline use. But it can only be read from inside app. I have requested for PDF version of same from dealer but no success so far.
We can even access same in toyota bharat website if we can register with our VIN. But the experience wasn’t very good as the website keeps logging us out after every few minutes. So our best bet is to download the app on a tab and download the user manual for offline use.
Yeah, it is so inconvenient
Old 20th September 2024, 19:55   #3377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thead View Post
When did you book and which city was this in?
Udupi, Karnataka. I was told 3-4 months of waiting period when I booked on 7th Aug 2024 for Superior White ZX(O). But I had already sold my Innova Crysta ZX 2.8L and didn’t want to rent another car for long period. so asked few of my friends who knew the owner of dealership well to put in requests. I was OK with any of the lighter colors. I got a call from dealer asking whether I would like to buy a Pearl white. Vehicle got delivered on 9th September after I did PDI personally and found everything in order. Vehicle was one month old and had run 18 Kms. All tyres were max 2 months old . This is my 5th car, 2nd Toyota and 2nd Innova.
dezrskb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2024, 23:33   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Udupi, Karnataka. I was told 3-4 months of waiting period when I booked on 7th Aug 2024 for Superior White ZX(O).
I must say you are extremely lucky to get a ZX(O) in a month! I booked in April and still no sight of it. My dealer Globe Toyota in Mohali is up to unscrupulous tricks and as a result my waiting number does not improve. Having written and spoken to Toyota has been useless too as they just don't bother reverting.

Anyone in Mohali/Chandigarh/Panchkula who has faced a similar issue with Globe Toyota, Mohali?
Old 21st September 2024, 11:05   #3379
BHPian

Going by advise by some of the YouTube channels (Car Care Nut and few others), engine oil change every 8000 Kms is advisable rather than waiting for 10K Kms. Some others advise frequency of change as per planned duration of ownership. If we plan to keep the vehicle for 10 yrs or more it’s advisable to change every 5000 Kms or so. Here Toyota advises oil change every 10K Kms. Every 8K Kms looked better for me but it’s an odd time to change oil as after another 2K Kms , the regular oil change with 10K Kms service becomes due. So I am planning oil change every 5K Kms to Keep engine running in best possible condition. I understand Hycross Hybrid uses 0W-16, a synthetic oil which is bit more expensive than regular oil. I requested dealership for same and they started scratching their heads and made some internal phone calls (to their mechanics I suppose) but ultimately agreed they would do it since its my money. But is it advisable if I can afford oil change every 5K Kms? Is it good ? will it do any harm ? could anyone here who has the technical knowledge advise ?
Old 21st September 2024, 11:28   #3380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardul_pathak View Post
... Finally ended up with a 2015 Toyota Camry.
Why do you want to replace 2015 Camry which should have a lot of life left in it? That too with Camry from the same generation?

Don't worry about the hybrid battery of Camry. It costs 3L to replace when the time comes. Factor that in while purchasing and it's still a great value.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2024, 14:08   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
Going by advise by some of the YouTube channels (Car Care Nut and few others), engine oil change every 8000 Kms is advisable rather than waiting for 10K Kms. But is it advisable if I can afford oil change every 5K Kms? Is it good ? will it do any harm ? could anyone here who has the technical knowledge advise ?
Not just Car Care Nut, Motor Oil Geek and countless others as well as every competent mechanic I’ve ever asked in my life will tell you 10k is too much and isn’t best practice as far as oil changes go.

You’re not interpreting the user manual correctly. Toyota (and Honda and Merc) and probably every other mfg. will all say 10k/1 year is the minimum required service interval. This applies to operation under ideal conditions (which are rarely met).

The correct interval is quickly halved if you operate in harsh conditions, as per my 2013 Camry manual (and every other car manual I’ve ever owned). If you operate mainly in city conditions with frequent stop start type traffic + some cold starts (hell on earth for engine oil), dust and high heat along with subpar quality fuel all contribute to excessive wear and degradation of the oil.

If it’s a yes to even one of the above driving environments, the manual is quick to halve the interval to 5k kms/6 months.

Still, as the Motor Oil Geek says the number of variables when it comes to engine oils tend to infinity and it’s difficult to generalise intervals as everyone uses their car differently, drives differently and lives in different regions.

The only concrete solution is get used oil analysis done, its fairly cheap and you can see exactly how many wear metals are present and if any exceed the safe threshold (just like a blood test.) You don’t have to do this every year, only initially to understand the correct oil change interval tailored to your needs and use case.

In my case, I found wear metals really shoot up after 6800-7000 kms so I flip the oil and filter at 6k kms or 6 months whichever earlier. (Note: test each of your cars individually as no two oils and engines are the same, even if used and driven similarly.)

Keep in mind though I take a highway spin at very high sustained speeds once a month (burns off water and contamination built up in my oil) and all my city driving is over 10 kms, so no short trips.

It’s a misconception that you have to go for the 10k service interval when you’ve just had it serviced 2-3k kms back. Every time you get an oil and filter change, the counter resets, time and distance both.

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I am on the cusp of buying a new car after parting ways with my 2015 Petrol Toyota Camry. I have been a Toyota user for over 20 years. It started with a Qualis, onto the first generation Innova, then to a Corolla Altis and Finally ended up with a 2015 Toyota Camry.
Don’t even consider Innova, the interior quality, the plastics and leather, the way it drives (excess body roll in corners), the nearly 10 seconds to 100 is leagues behind the Camry (current or used) and will feel like a proper downgrade considering you’re used to the 2015 Camry.

Why do you want to replace your 2015 with the exact same car from 2017-18?

Either get the current gen from 2020 or get new with some 8-9L discount or get an older one from 2013-14. The last option will be well under 10L and provide great value. If hybrid, just factor 2.5-3L in the cost of purchase for the battery.

6 months ago I too picked up 2013 2.5 (non hybrid) for just 6.9L (single owner, 67k kms, full service record at dealer) and couldn’t be happier.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_5038.jpeg

Just do your due diligence before buying and get a full inspection at a trusted Toyota dealer. With any used car, keep 1-1.5L aside for fluid services/brakes and new tyres and around 4L for a hybrid for fluids/tyres/battery and you’ll be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
This is unToyota, I have heard very good customer care from Toyota service, in fact they are well known for it, may be someone is trying to extract maximum out of a customer.

Which dealership is this, so that we know where to be cautious?
I’ve tried IJM and MGF and both tried to puff up my bill exactly like this. Honda is no different and merc is no different (worse actually). In fact I’ve yet to find a dealer that didn’t inflate my bill. It’s standard practice to maximise dealer revenue. You have to go over each each line item with eagle eyes and strike out anything that your manual doesn’t call for.

Credit where due, IJM Toyota at least has competent mechanics who have the right tools and follow their SOP’s correctly. As long as you’re ready to overpay for peace of mind, I’ll recommend IJM anyday over other dealers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 21st September 2024 at 14:31.
AJ56 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2024, 15:32   #3382
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I am on the cusp of buying a new car after parting ways with my 2015 Petrol Toyota Camry.
If I were you I would go for a Hycross. If your monthly running is less than 3000 kilometres, it is better to go for the petrol version, if not go for the hybrid version. Do you need a car with a sunroof? Buy a new Toyota and get peace of mind for 20 years.

I have been using Toyota vehicles since 1996 and used Toyota ranging from Starlet to Landcruiser and Lexus.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st September 2024 at 16:36. Reason: Quoted post trimmed, spell/ grammar. Please proofread before posting.
White bird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2024, 11:53   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post

Don’t even consider Innova, the interior quality, the plastics and leather, the way it drives (excess body roll in corners), the nearly 10 seconds to 100 is leagues behind the Camry (current or used) and will feel like a proper downgrade considering you’re used to the 2015 Camry.

Why do you want to replace your 2015 with the exact same car from 2017-18?

Either get the current gen from 2020 or get new with some 8-9L discount or get an older one from 2013-14. The last option will be well under 10L and provide great value. If hybrid, just factor 2.5-3L in the cost of purchase for the battery.

6 months ago I too picked up 2013 2.5 (non hybrid) for just 6.9L (single owner, 67k kms, full service record at dealer) and couldn’t be happier.

Attachment 2657750

Just do your due diligence before buying and get a full inspection at a trusted Toyota dealer. With any used car, keep 1-1.5L aside for fluid services/brakes and new tyres and around 4L for a hybrid for fluids/tyres/battery and you’ll be set.
This image of yours could easily be mistaken for my car! I had the same shape, in the same colour.

The only thing holding me back was the life of hybrid battery,but now that I have a number in mind, I will consider going for a used hybrid from the 2015-2020 shape. These facelift versions offered some added tech over my old 2015 car like rear reclining bench, sun shades, auto dimming IRVM and ventillated seats!
Old 22nd September 2024, 12:12   #3384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post

You’re not interpreting the user manual correctly. Toyota (and Honda and Merc) and probably every other mfg. will all say 10k/1 year is the minimum required service interval. This applies to operation under ideal conditions (which are rarely met).
The correct interval is quickly halved if you operate in harsh conditions, as per my 2013 Camry manual (and every other car manual I’ve ever owned). If you operate mainly in city conditions with frequent stop start type traffic + some cold starts (hell on earth for engine oil), dust and high heat along with subpar quality fuel all contribute to excessive wear and degradation of the oil.

If it’s a yes to even one of the above driving environments, the manual is quick to halve the interval to 5k kms/6 months.

Same is true for Hycross Hybrid as per manual.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_0709.png

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_0708.png

Both the mechanic and service advisor looked amused when I requested oil change every 5K Kms and said “Why would you do that? Oil change at 10K Kms is enough and recommended “. Thats settled then. I will go for oil and filter change every 5K Kms
Have few more questions
1. Has anyone in this forum bought and carried their own oil to dealership? is it allowed ?
2. When it’s time to change tires, I wanted to buy Michelins but they don’t have 225/50/R18 on their india website. Any other recommendations?
3. Looks like Ni-MH batteries are older. Toyota has replaced them with Li-ion in western countries. Any information about after how many Kms / years these will require replacement?
4. When we switch off the engine, only driver door gets unlocked (Probably default setting). Has anyone changed it to all door unlock at dealership? (any other default settings are recommended to be changed ?)
5. I am not seeing my DRLs on (manual says when lights are set to auto and driver seat belt is fastened and parking brake is released they switch on. is there any other way to see whether they turn on?)

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd September 2024 at 12:15. Reason: quote fixed
Old 22nd September 2024, 12:17   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Why do you want to replace 2015 Camry which should have a lot of life left in it? That too with Camry from the same generation?

Don't worry about the hybrid battery of Camry. It costs 3L to replace when the time comes. Factor that in while purchasing and it's still a great value.
Hi @androdev, thank you so much for your advise, I have been a huge fan of your posts on the forum!

I was considering an upgrade for the extra features the facelift offers over the 2015 model, reclining rear bench, sunshades, ventilated seats, auto dimming IRVM and the likes, plus the hybrid tech which would mean a better FE.

Used camry at 14-16 lakhs price point, with hybrid seemed like a bargain, All i have to do now is factor in the cost of a new battery and try and haggle with the dealers to get some discounts on thier list prices!

Dear Mods: I happened to repy to another post with similar content, please merge both the posts to stay within community guidelines. I can't see it yet to delete and merge them together.
shardul_pathak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2024, 14:15   #3386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi @androdev, thank you so much for your advise, I have been a huge fan of your posts on the forum!

I was considering an upgrade for the extra features the facelift offers over the 2015 model, reclining rear bench, sunshades, ventilated seats, auto dimming IRVM and the likes, plus the hybrid tech which would mean a better FE.

Used camry at 14-16 lakhs price point, with hybrid seemed like a bargain, All i have to do now is factor in the cost of a new battery and try and haggle with the dealers to get some discounts on thier list prices!
I have not driven the non-hybrid model but I'm a big fan of the hybrid model that I'm very familiar with. I like it better than the newer generation Camry hybrid - seats are soft and more comfortable, back seat can seat 3 people comfortably, tires have plenty of rubber (17 vs 18 inch) for a soft ride. I'm always on the look out for this model in the used car market as this is the car I recommend to people within my known circle.

The downside is the lack of excitement in driving an older design and the potential 15 year restrictions that may get enforced by the govt. Especially these days, we are overwhelmed with the features in the new car launches, so it takes a bit of an old-man's thinking to settle for minimalist cars. Of course, you will have to budget some 3L for battery replacement whenever it comes up, but even with that factored in, it's a great car for someone looking for a comfortable and elegant sedan. Here is the bill for battery replacement (I was given 7% discount by the dealer) - March-2014 model with 1.28L KM, battery replaced during July-2024.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-batterybill.jpg

You just have to look for cars that have been looked after well - especially the seats should be in great condition without excessive wear. 2017+ models have rear seat shoulder airbags, TPMS and few cosmetic updates.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2024, 17:16   #3387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please help me solve this dilemma!
I will wait for BYD eMax 7. It is a 6/7 seater with almost the same size as Hycross and it could be much cheaper than Hycross. The range of the car will be easy 500 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Here is the bill for battery replacement (I was given 7% discount by the dealer) - March-2014 model with 1.28L KM, battery replaced during July-2024.
1.28L KM and 10 years was life of the battery and the cost to change after discount is 3 lakhs. Wow!!. And people worry about battery costs of EVs. There are people in our group who have driven beyond 2 lakh kms and their batteries are still at 89% SoH.

Last edited by ferrarirules : 22nd September 2024 at 17:31.
Old 23rd September 2024, 01:39   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have few more questions
1. Has anyone in this forum bought and carried their own oil to dealership? is it allowed ?
2. When it’s time to change tires, I wanted to buy Michelins but they don’t have 225/50/R18 on their india website. Any other recommendations?
4. When we switch off the engine, only driver door gets unlocked (Probably default setting). Has anyone changed it to all door unlock at dealership? (any other default settings are recommended to be changed ?)
5. I am not seeing my DRLs on (manual says when lights are set to auto and driver seat belt is fastened and parking brake is released they switch on. is there any other way to see whether they turn on?)
Engine oil - I carry my own oil (Mobil1 0W40) for all my small cars, but not sure whether the Toyota dealership allows this. Let us know if you get some info.

Tyres - I generally buy tyres from outside, but I had to cut out and replace bolts twice in small cars due to excessive tightening of wheel nuts using electric wrench (because bolt comes out of its slot and rotates freely). I am in two minds though because buying tyres from outside is way cheaper.

Locks - I think none of the doors are unlocked when I switch off. I saw in youtube that if you hold both 'open' and 'close' buttons of the key fob together for 10 seconds, the car will beep and from then on, unlocking with sensor on the door unlocks all 4 doors. May be this will do the trick for above scenario also, yet to try out.

DRL - I think the DRLs switch on along with engine start, irrespective of whether the headlight is in auto mode or not. Better to check with dealer.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 23rd September 2024 at 01:44.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks