Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2023, 21:20   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
List continues to rise. It even misses out on EPB and Auto Hold functionality.
Have to keep something for the top model, costing 20L+ OTR in some states! Nothing deal-breaker is missing, IMO.

Skoda have played clever with the 1.5 TSi Ambition variants. Hyundai don't have pricing room to play with, 'introductory' prices might stay a while.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 21:45   #47
BHPian

Crisp, detailed review, love it !!

As a fellow 1.4 TGDI driver, I've found the sport mode to be pretty futile when pushing the car (especially at highway speeds). The engine tends to needlessly redline in lower gears, resulting in more noise than actual performance. This is where the pedal shifters come in handy.

Hopefully, Hyundai has fine-tuned the sport's settings on the Verna to address this issue. (arguably the sport mode does deliver a better 0-100)

For spirited driving, I prefer using the comfort mode as it strikes a good balance between gear downshifting and not holding the gear to redline, extracting performance from the power band of the motor !!

I do feel that Hyundai has designed the car to be a comfortable cruiser at 100 kmph in D7. However, I sometimes wish for longer legs, perhaps an 8-speed DCT?

Also, it's a shame that 1.5 TGDI MT does not come with all wheel discs. Why hyundai why?

(and yes of course 120kmph is the legal speed limit in our nation, and I do not condone breaking any laws.)

Last edited by RohaNN_kWh : 30th March 2023 at 21:47.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 21:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Great review. Not surprised on Hyundai IVT vs Honda CVT comparison. Before picking i20 IVT, I felt the rubber band effect is much lesser than Jazz CVT.
From all reviews VAG twins has much better handling and stability than Verna, even after having a higher ground clearance (atleast from the pics). That shows the competency of MQB platform.
Overall commendable job by Hyundai, VAG and Honda to still have the faith in sedan and keeping the market exciting for sedan lovers like me.
sunikkat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 22:10   #49
BHPian

Great review! I was waiting for the embargo to finish. I spent most of my afternoon watching the reviews on YT and reading the review and comments here. I had the fluidic verna 2011 Petrol model. The engine was a beauty but sorely missed that much needed 6th gear. Ride quality, while being floaty, its just a matter of getting used to it so loved it.

Having said all this, after owning the 1st gen creta vtvt manual (one of the first few in Bangalore) and a slew of others including my current G-i10 Nios AMT, I saw the Verna (non turbo) in the flesh last week and booked a Starry night 1.5 T-GDI DCT the same day.

Looks are subjective and I've seen comments all over the forum but I am in for a futuristic look. I normally don't bash brands as each one's cars are a hit and miss in different areas. I saw, I loved, I booked

I am still waiting for the test drive of the T-GDI from Pavan Hyundai. Hopefully in another few months, I will get it and give my indepth inputs
Grand Tourer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 05:28   #50
Senior - BHPian

As an ex Linea, City ,Polo and current Creta owner, I would like to state that "enthusiastic" "sporty" handling attributes are a bit overrated in the Indian context. Most mass-market cars are designed for the average driver, who is not always expected to drive around the winding European countryside. There is no reason to demand that the Verna will behave like a BMW around the corners. The car should be enjoyed only for what it offers. The Linea was an exception during its times in that it offered the promise of a good handler, more so because of its robust hydraulic steering calibration. But then it had other drawbacks too. I think the best feature of this new turbo Verna would be it's power/torque availability due to the relaxed nature of the engine at highway speeds, resulting in fuel efficiency and fast mile munching. For those who like to use their left limbs, they also offer the 6MT on the turbo variant. That is surely an added attraction !
fhdowntheline is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 07:51   #51
BHPian

One thing that many reviews have pointed out but I couldn't find during my quick read of this review is about Hyundai's weird decision for both the headlamp and taillamp cluster - they made almost all of it LED except the indicators. You can clearly see the halogen bulb in the rear. I cannot fathom why.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 07:59   #52
BHPian

Good to note that the interior space especially in the rear is better. The styling seems very similar to the Pravaig Extinction. Hyundai is thankfully getting more mature in its styling which is more evident with its Genesis brand.
Old 31st March 2023, 08:21   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
Actually 2 ADAS features are missing - Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go is missing from Verna IVT version. Also missing is Lead Vehicle Departure Alert.

Logically both could be offered with software settings only and require no additional hardware. I wonder what could be the reason behind not offering them. Any thoughts,

On an unrelated topic any chance of smartphone wireless connectivity being activated via a firmware update at a future date like it was done in the Baleno?
As far as i understand the SCC is a combined feature with stop & go functionality.
Even in the Honda City, only the upper models which comes with a Electronic Parking Brake has the Low Speed Follow & Stop & Go function.
I feel its not just software but requirement of EPB along with auto hold functionality which is missing in the models due to which they are not able to offer the same.
123.rishabh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 09:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

Give me these interiors, in the 4th Gen City and you have a car which will be a collectable!
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 11:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

We all might have correctly guessed that the Verna would obliterate the VAG twins in terms of features. But how about comparing the lower variant SX with the top of the line 1.5 variant of the VAG twins? Here we go with a comparison with the Slavia.

Name:  Verna vs Slavia.png
Views: 1758
Size:  24.9 KB

Additionally it also gets more power and torque (10PS and 3 NM, which actually translates on the road), a better ARAI FE of around 1.5 kmpl, and a discount of nearly 3L on the OTR sticker price. IMO, the interior looks better than VAG twins as well. Add to that the dependable and reliable Hyundai ASS, they certainly have a compelling package. All this only if the polarising design wins you! (Hide that white color Hyundai !)
07CR is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 11:23   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
... All this only if the polarising design wins you! (Hide that white color Hyundai !)
Hyundai have got the fastback silhouette nailed down, they could tone down the quirky bits in refreshes (or who knows, they might double down on quirk).

The current front itself would look so much better if they just lost the hood lip light strip and made the logo smaller.

Rare car that can't carry white. The muddy brown (Tellurian?) looks nice though.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 12:48   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not a fan of rating on arbitrary scales as opinions are subjective, but here are mine:

Powertrain: 1.5 TSi DSG > 1.5 TGDi DCT > 1.5 iVTEC CVT ~ 1.5 MPi IVT
Handling: VAG Twins > Hyundai > Honda
Ride: VAG Twins > Hyundai ~ Honda
Space: Honda > Hyundai > VAG Twins
NVH: Hyundai > VAG Twins > Honda
Gearbox: DSG > DCT > IVT > CVT
Interiors: VAG Twins > Honda > Hyundai (If Hyundai swapped the scratchy plastics for better material, I'd rate Hyundai higher. The cabin LOOKS great, the plastics dilute the FEEL, esp. in the black + red cabin).

I'm surprised you felt the city to be more spacious. I honestly felt Verna to be extremely spacious barring the head room (which was tight for a 6 footer like me.) In fact, as far as leg room is concerned, I thought the Verna is at least half a segment higher than the City and the VAG twins.

Front seats were as comfortable as my 2018 Tucson. They were definitely wider than the other cars in this segment.
bharathan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 14:09   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
I'm surprised you felt the city to be more spacious. I honestly felt Verna to be extremely spacious barring the head room (which was tight for a 6 footer like me.) In fact, as far as leg room is concerned, I thought the Verna is at least half a segment higher than the City and the VAG twins.
It isn't just absolute space, packaging plays an important role. Even in smaller versions in previous generations - cars getting bigger with each generation is another pet peeve of mine - Honda somehow always seemed to extract more usable space from a similar volume than competition, with smarter cabin packaging. At 5'7" and a lean build, I've rarely found a cabin where space is a deal-breaker for me, but I do appreciate optimised usable space. Headroom is important to me, not because I need a lot of it, but for the roomy feeling it lends to a cabin. I love our Wagon R, feels like a tall-ceilinged manor in there.

Quote:
Front seats were as comfortable as my 2018 Tucson. They were definitely wider than the other cars in this segment.
I loved the side bolstering on both seat base and back, but it's likely to annoy more prosperously-endowed waistlines than mine.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 16:06   #59
BHPian

Missing auto wipers is a huge bummer for many, I don't know why Hyundai missed this small thing, which makes it a almost perfect sedan. Still it will sell in good numbers for next 2-3 years. Outside Metros, Skoda-VW twins, don't have great trust & I think Verna is by far superior from the competition.
Old 31st March 2023, 18:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Honda somehow always seemed to extract more usable space from a similar volume than competition, with smarter cabin packaging.
It is because of one of the Key Pillars in Honda Design Philosophy --> 4M i.e. Man-Maximum-Machine-Minimum and this has been evident in all of their products. IMO their balance of design & space management is most optimized atleast for Indian Market.
Motorhead23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks