Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2023, 21:21   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Suddenly, this one is not looking as sleek as it was in the pics posted earlier. IMO, the lighter colors look a little better. Definitely not the black.

Like was pointed out earlier in the other thread - debadging the H from the bonnet makes it look better.

That chrome trim on the C-pillar looks out of place. Instead of the sharp 'C' or 'L' (which ever one wants to call it), the lower part could have been taken backwards - would have matched the sleek look that they have attempted.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 04:49   #62
Kln
BHPian

This is a guaranteed banger of a hit from Hyundai Kia. 'Verna' is a brand in itself for many Indians, just like 'Scorpio' is. Hyundai has done a fantastic job yet again.
Kln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 11:56   #63
BHPian

@Chetan sir, how would you rate the paint quality of the car?
Old 1st April 2023, 14:05   #64
BHPian

This car is dying for a rear spoiler.

If you see the new Sonata, it's spoiler design would be perfect fit for the Verna. Of course some engine upgrade to move it to 180bhps would be apt also.
Old 1st April 2023, 19:35   #65

I just test-drove the 1.5 L Turbo SX(O) manual transmission today. Given a large amount of reviewing and feedback upthread, I'm going to keep my review centered on those who already have a Verna and mostly cover things not mentioned in other reviews here. I've owned a 2019 Verna SX MT petrol (driven 30k, mostly on highways). I noticed the following things test driving the new one:

- The second gear ratio appears significantly lower -- the end result is that in several common situations (typically exiting a speed breaker) when I could have comfortably driven away in the 2nd gear in my current 2019 Verna, the engine lugs with the 2nd gear in 2023 Verna. I had to select the first gear for a smooth ride post such slowdowns. This was the key and the only inconvenience for me since it means many more upshifts after a slowdown.

- The sound system blew me away - day and night difference w.r.t 2019 Verna.

- Steering is a bit lighter, at least in eco and normal modes at city speeds, when compared to a 2019 Verna that's been driven for 4 years. This is a matter of getting used to I felt.

- Trunk is significantly and visibly deeper; specs say an extra 48 liters.

- One of the interior inconveniences I've had with the Verna 2019 is the lack of lighting for the door lock/unlock, power side-view, and power window buttons -- I keep fumbling for those in the dark. I didn't check if this was addressed but Youtube videos showing it at night indicate all those buttons are now lit.

- Ventilated leather seats with cooling - this was an unfamiliar concept/feature to me (I think the 2019 SX(O) had it.) I've owned cars with heated seats (in a cold country) but the cooling is one feature that existing Verna SX owners will really like.

- Leather seat quality, aesthetics, and comfort: IMO, this is one of the biggest pluses from the interior experience standpoint relative to the 2019 Verna SX(O). I had found the 2019 Verna SX(O) leather seats very average -- in fact, it was the reason we chose Verna SX and then went with custom leather seats as accessories.
nineth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 20:01   #66
BHPian

Did a really short TD of the 1.5 IVT this morning and again comparing it to my Tjet.

The Good:

1. Will perfectly suit those who drive sedately and don't use the entire rev band all the time

2. The car has enough poke at low speeds to not leave you wanting for more

3. The CVT (IVT) is smooth and has very little of the rubber band even under moderate acceleration

4. Engine noise is muted compared to to The 1.5 Tsi under acceleration, but not as quiet as the Tjet. The engine sounds sweet even towards the redline

5. The disc/drum setup has a sharp initial bite, but overall pedal feel is good (initial bite is better than my Jet but I need to get my brakes fixed)

6. I was pleasantly surprised by the steering which isn't that light, but has no feel. I was expecting a one finger twirl steering

7. Paddle shifters work well to simulate gear changes.

8. Touch screen is pretty slick with no lag, but I honestly didn't spend much time on it.

9. Front seat felt really comfy. I would say better than the Linea's

The Bad:

1. The car struggles to accelerate if you floor the accelerator at low speeds. Its only when its past about 2500 RPM that it begins to pull, and this was in Sports mode. I guess most will use it in Normal mode which is good enough for city driving

2. Tyre pressure was high so really not right to complain about the bumpy ride where I could feel every ridge in the road

3. I just hate the instrument console. I found it very difficult to distinguish between RPM and speed

4. AC was pretty effective set at 20 C mid morning

5. Enclosing a pic, but the engine splash guard really doesn't protect the important bits. You can see the sump on the right.

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-verna-14.jpg
keroo1099 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 23:16   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
..how would you rate the paint quality of the car?
From the few color we saw there, paint quality seemed pretty consistent. No obvious orange peel effect or surface blemishes.

What I don't like, and this isn't unique to Hyundai by any means, is manufacturers leaving bits unpainted (exposed metal in the Verna'a boot, for example). Just looks cheap on cars that'll cost 20L+ top-end.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 00:27   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Great review! Did you get a chance to try out the turbo MT? Would like to know how is the shift quality, long throw v/s short throw etc.
I drove the turbo MT today. The 1 -> 2 shift point, I felt, is different than the previous generation Verna - it has to be done at a higher speed/RPM. The throw lengths are identical to the previous generation Verna's; I consider these medium-length throws. The shifts are smooth; as expected, the 1 -> 2 shift is to be paid attention to for it to be smooth.
nineth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 01:31   #69
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Also, one-liner posts are best avoided.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2023 at 10:56.
thehighwayman is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd April 2023, 17:51   #70
BHPian

This car seems more of a result of fulfilling a checklist than being passionate about engineering the items in the checklist.
Checklist says 1.5 turbo and engineers achieve it but seems no one was passionate enough to engineer a unified machine that supports this 1.5 turbo.
steadfast is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 17:51   #71
BHPian

Is there a way to disable ADAS in Manual Turbo variant? I took a test drive of iVT SX(O) and the ADAS seemed so intrusive all the time.

- Children spotted
- Lane departure warning (when there are hardly any proper lanes)
- 2 times it just applied the emergency brakes. 1) I was just revering the car from the showroom and the watchman was standing on the front left side of the car. 2) I was trying to take a left turn and speed would have been around 5 when the car in front of us stopped and the biker on the rear had to apply his brakes hard as well.
- Too many beeps.

I dont feel India is ADAS ready at this moment.

Otherwise the the engine and transmission seemed responsive enough for city drives and the car was able to navigate through some major broken roads and huge bumps. (Please note it was Bangalore roads).

I am planning to get test drive of the MT Turbo to experience how it drives, but not sure which one would be ideal. DCT or MT on the SX(O) Turbo, any thoughts?
BudgetFailure is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 22:12   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetFailure View Post
Is there a way to disable ADAS in Manual Turbo variant? I took a test drive of iVT SX(O) and the ADAS seemed so intrusive all the time
Looking for the same information to decide between SX or SX(O). I have seen reviews of Tucson where ADAS can be disabled but every time the car is turned on, it'll turn back the ADAS on. So you've to manually turn off the ADAS everytime you turn on the car.

Any idea how this works on the Verna?
Old 2nd April 2023, 22:56   #73

New Hyundai Verna definitely has a very polarizing design and it is the only one from Hyundai to have grown on me in just a matter of days after seeing it in forum review images. The rear and side profiles look rather impressive in darker shades! It tries to be a nice balance between comfort and power from the likes of City and the Virtus respectively. I sincerely hope it doesn't lose to the SUV fest going on in current market and it should get the N-line treatment with an entertaining power delivery, maybe an aggressive tune of engine, sharper handling, interior bits like the beautiful steering wheel, rather gorgeous gear knob from i20 N-line (imt) on a proper manual and a sportier instrument console will be a delight. The value proposition makes Virtus and Slavia 1.5 TSI a little overpriced for their kit on offer now. This may sound like a wish-list but the N-line should stand out and not just be a lukewarm attempt to attract enthusiasts.
Old 3rd April 2023, 15:55   #74
BHPian

Took delivery for my Turbo DCT over the weekend. In addition to observations already made, these were mine.

1. My existing vehicle is 1.4 Turbo DCT (Petrol) Seltos, compared to which initial impression is that the power delivery is better on the Seltos. This means either; (a) speed/acceleration masking is better on the Verna (because it's a sedan and the centre of gravity is lower); or (b) the 1.4 is tuned a little more aggressively.

2. Apart from being aesthetically unappealing, the two spoke steering wheel is annoying even from a usage perspective. For any manoeuvre that requires more than full steering lock (parking for example) it's a little hard to tell when the steering wheel has returned to centre. Thinking of getting one of those steering knobs just to tell the top and bottom parts of the steering wheel apart.

3. I know it's been repeated a lot, but can confirm that the front end looks much nicer is person. It's not even an acquired taste, it's quite nice in person (pictures are a bit misleading TBH). Car looks best from it's side profile though, the "fastback" look is quite nice.

4. Interiors are a bit of a departure from Hyundai's previously high standards. Viz., hard plastics and the steering wheel leather.

5. Boot space is amazing!!!!

6. My car is black, so the black alloys on a black car back doesn't quite match. So going to probably swap them for the silver versions.

7. Since it's a new release, some basic accessories have not yet come (floor mats for example). Will get these in a week's time.

All in all, pretty pleased with the punt I took on the car. As you can imagine, to have received delivery so soon this was booked a while back 😊.

Last edited by Jeevith : 3rd April 2023 at 16:03.
Jeevith is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 16:24   #75
BHPian

Congratulations and wish you many happy miles with Verna Turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Took delivery for my Turbo DCT over the weekend.

Quote:
2. Apart from being aesthetically unappealing, the two spoke steering wheel is annoying even from a usage perspective. For any manoeuvre that requires more than full steering lock (parking for example) it's a little hard to tell when the steering wheel has returned to centre. Thinking of getting one of those steering knobs just to tell the top and bottom parts of the steering wheel apart.
Yes, it can be confusing at times since the logo also looks the same upside down.
Better to mark something on steering wheel for reference.
Ask showroom people if they have a small "Verna" text sticker that can be pasted on the horn pad.

Quote:
3. I know it's been repeated a lot, but can confirm that the front end looks much nicer is person. It's not even an acquired taste, it's quite nice in person (pictures are a bit misleading TBH).
Completely agree. 100%.

Quote:
6. My car is black, so the black alloys on a black car back doesn't quite match. So going to probably swap them for the silver versions.
I have also booked a black and have been exactly thinking the same. Maybe I'll go with titan gray car if that's an option. Could you share a pic of your car? Just want to see how black car will look with black alloys.

Quote:
... to have received delivery so soon this was booked a while back
Did you book the car in advance? If yes, how many days ahead of launch?
I pre-booked mine 24 days before the launch, and still there is no update on the delivery :(

Given that you are in Bangalore, what would you do differently in traffic to ensure maximum life of the gearbox - any tips?

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 3rd April 2023 at 16:50. Reason: Added sticker line.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks