Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2023, 13:02   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
Thanks, I have been looking for upgrading the Zeta headlight. I was asking the Nexa people if they can put the Alpha headlights and they said that the wiring is of lower wattage in Zeta compared to Alpha and it would void warranty. Is your LED headlight of same wattage as MT halogen ones? Please can you share the details and where you bought it from.
It should be the opposite actually! Alpha LED headlights are probably rated at 25W-30W max per lamp as most OEM Bi-LED headlights are, where as the H4 halogen need 55/60W per lamp. This means the wiring harness of the zeta should be rated for higher wattage and not vice versa, if the harness are indeed different.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 13:06   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I've been driving my Jimny with 215 AT tires and I definitely feel there is a negative impact on performance, ride quality and handling. If you have no plans to do serious off-road driving (going off-road on complex rock/slush/sand sections for the sake of going off-road), please stick with the stock tires.

In short, the stock tires are the BEST option for 90% of the Jimny buyers who will do trails, explore the wilderness but given the option of an easier path around a difficult obstacle, they will take the easier path always.

Hope this makes sense.

I took delivery a few days back and I am not sure I am enjoying the negative effects of the tire change.
All of the geolander users have been reporting about negative effect on ride quality/NVM. Can anyone here using Goodyear silen trac tyres confirm if they are also negatively impacting the ride quality?

I had planned to upgrade tyres to 215 but if they are gonna ruin the ride quality not mention warranty of related parts too will be void, I would cancel my plan to change tyres. Warranty isn't the main concern but ride quality is. Main reason to get wider tyres was look but if it's ruins the comfort I would stay away from them.
mathur2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 13:29   #1638
BHPian

It looks like Jimny deliveries in the northern states are happening at a good clip. Down south, even cars booked in the first eight days are yet to be delivered. In effect, waiting periods for January bookings are also close to 7 months.
Old 13th August 2023, 13:51   #1639
Senior - BHPian

So I have driven ze jimny and ze crysta on the same route/same day/same time but a week apart. It was an ~ 440kms round trip (same day return) on the highway (undivided) with same number of occupants - three.

In the crysta i had to put too much work in the crowded sections of the road maneuvering the barge, whereas in the jimny it was much easier - win Jimny. In the jimny while overtaking I had to put more work into it whereas in my crysta it was point and shoot - win Crysta. I was expecting the Crysta to cost less for the trip compared to the jimny but in the end i paid similar monies for the trip up & down. The time taken for the trip was also similar, but the crysta may have been slightly faster considering the traffic density was higher than when I took the jimny. In passenger comfort crysta wins hands down as it offers more space and better seats to sit however the occupants like. As a driver I enjoyed the trip in the jimny more than I did with the crysta maybe it is due to the fact that i've been driving the crysta for 90000Km and the jimny is new. But high praise for Toyota, the crysta still drives as good as it did on day 1!!

A week ago when i took the jimny i did not spot a single jimny on the road, but yesterday i saw three jimnys - one yellow, one black and one nexa blue. Also saw many thars on road, some ahead, some behind, and all of them were well behaved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
All of the geolander users have been reporting about negative effect on ride quality/NVM. Can anyone here using Goodyear silen trac tyres confirm if they are also negatively impacting the ride quality?
Goodyear silenttrac (215/65R16) on Crysta was super comfortable and took potholes and craters with aplomb. Ride quality was good. But compared to Michelin Primacy SUV (215/65R16) inflated to the same pressure as Silenttrac the Silenttracs are harsher. The AT tyres have stiffer sidewalls and for same inflation pressure they would be harsher than HT tyres.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 14:49   #1640
th2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
It looks like Jimny deliveries in the northern states are happening at a good clip. Down south, even cars booked in the first eight days are yet to be delivered. In effect, waiting periods for January bookings are also close to 7 months.
We got ours last week. The sales guy said that we were the third from his showroom. 2 black ATs before ours and ours was a white AT. Looks like they are not strictly going by booking order but whatever color/trim/transmission variant they are manufacturing batchwise.

JP Nagar, Bangalore Nexa.
th2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 15:58   #1641
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
But, I don't think I can make peace with the driving posture. If I put my car on the classified am going to be crucified but by nature, I try to get rid of something I don't fully like.

But, what next? This is such a nice car, especially due to its footprint and excellent suspension. This thing glides over large craters that we have too many here in urban Gurgaon as if these are pebbles.
Would it help to have a back cushion for lumbar support? Or add a donut cushion to gain height or extend the seat squab to get a little extra under-thigh support?

Yes the Jimny suspension is first class. It will be a pity if you got rid of it so quick. But then, it's your car and it's your comfort that comes first.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th August 2023 at 20:01. Reason: Punctuation and spacing.
Old 13th August 2023, 23:22   #1642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone else feel footwell space very limited, especially left leg. I have tried different positions, stretching seat pretty far back but it doesn’t help. Lack of seat height adjustment doesn’t help either. Any way out?
I have bought 4 cms spacers for my Jimny's front 2 seats.
My wife likes the visibility now.

Contact person
Narender, CCS 4×4 accessories.
One stop shop for all customizations.
Hope that helps.

Regards
Dr.Kumar

Last edited by ecosport rules : 13th August 2023 at 23:30.
ecosport rules is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 07:01   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

But compared to Michelin Primacy SUV (215/65R16) inflated to the same pressure as Silenttrac the Silenttracs are harsher.
How much harsher? Is it really evident in the cabin? Or it is just miniscule difference noticable only to petrol heads ?
Old 14th August 2023, 10:46   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much harsher? Is it really evident in the cabin? Or it is just miniscule difference noticable only to petrol heads ?
On broken pieces of road the harshness was evident in the cabin and the ride was less plush. Jimny's suspension is different and the tyre profile is infact higher (75 vs 65 for same section width) and iimny's recommended inflation pressure is lower so a direct comparison is not possible although the tyres are same model, but expect the AT tyre to be less comfortable compared to HT tyres.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 10:56   #1645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Which users? Most of the guys have changed the tyres directly from the showroom- right? So how is someone comparing with stocks? No way that a OE tyre quality (read as built to price) can be compared with another made-for-performance in replacement?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
On broken pieces of road the harshness was evident in the cabin and the ride was less plush. Jimny's suspension is different and the tyre profile is infact higher (75 vs 65 for same section width) and iimny's recommended inflation pressure is lower so a direct comparison is not possible although the tyres are same model, but expect the AT tyre to be less comfortable compared to HT tyres.
If you are comparing an Innova ride with Jimny's, I can safely say that Jimny will outshine Innova on slower speeds as well as the craters, irrespective of the tyres. You can simply run over those craters without thinking about anything. Caeveat - I have kept a sack of some small stones in the boot must be 50-60Kg and it makes it ride much plusher. High-speed runs on Innova will be better for sure, but Jimny may not even reach those speeds in the first place.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th August 2023 at 11:01.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 11:22   #1646
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
I have bought 4 cms spacers for my Jimny's front 2 seats.
My wife likes the visibility now.

Contact person
Narender, CCS 4×4 accessories.
One stop shop for all customizations.
Hope that helps.

Regards
Dr.Kumar
This is the stock Gypsy and this is what it is like when I sit in the driving seat. I am used to Jeeps hence simply adjust easily to these driving positions even at 6ft 2 inches height and size 11 feet.
Of course on long trips I always stop and stretch every 2 hours or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-img_4511.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-img_4512.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 11:33   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Which users? Most of the guys have changed the tyres directly from the showroom- right? So how is someone comparing with stocks?
Most but not all, like @gsferrari here had driven Jimny during media drives with stock tyres, he had reported negative effects on handling/ride quality, a youtuber changed tyres to geolanders 235 after driving on stock tyres for a few days and immediately reported ride quality being deteriorated.
Old 14th August 2023, 11:37   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are comparing an Innova ride with Jimny's, I can safely say that Jimny will outshine Innova on slower speeds as well as the craters, irrespective of the tyres. You can simply run over those craters without thinking about anything. Caeveat - I have kept a sack of some small stones in the boot must be 50-60Kg and it makes it ride much plusher. High-speed runs on Innova will be better for sure, but Jimny may not even reach those speeds in the first place.
No I was not comparing the ride quality of the innova and the jimny. I was comparing the ride between two different tyres, of the same size, inflated to the same pressure, on the same vehicles but one AT and the other HT, both aftermarket performance tyres not OEM. I was saying that everything remaining the same the ride quality of the AT tyres would be worse compared to an HT tyre per my experience.

Between jimny and innova the jimny is more plush (only the seats are a bit of a letdown) and have observed the difference between the two vehicles on the same stretch of bad roads. I used to run factory spec air pressure in the jimny OE tyres but found that a few extra pounds of air does help when hitting the craters at speed.

Jimny does OK for speeds and with three adults onboard the alarm started to beep when the gps speed was 112kph (120 on speedo) and vehicle went on to pull to 119kph on gps without much of a strain before i backed off. While its not as fast as innova it is more than decent for what it is, a solid axle 4x4. Handling is also decent. Have video but don't want to post
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 11:37   #1649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is the stock Gypsy and this is what it is like when I sit in the driving seat. I am used to Jeeps hence simply adjust easily to these driving positions even at 6ft 2 inches height and size 11 feet.
I was clicking similar pictures a while back before coming to work

Looks the seating posture is similar, my problem seems to be wide foot in addition to the cramped space (I wear M-UK-11)

There is no way I can keep my feet straight, and even if I bend my legs, it fouls with the side. Unlike a wrangler (from my memory), the tunnel eats the space in the complete footwell. Also, if we look at this picture, it's actually narrower at the bottom than it is a few inches above. Will sit in a colleague's Thar and see how it compares.

Quote:
Most but not all, like @gsferrari here had driven Jimny during media drives with stock tyres, he had reported negative effects on handling/ride quality, a Youtuber changed tyres to geolanders 235 after driving on stock tyres for a few days and immediately reported ride quality being deteriorated.
I won't go with such feedback. Media drive and especially if someone is driving something as exclusive as Jimny for the first time, we cannot have a fair judgement. YouTubers But I haven't driven any of Jimny with stock tires either so cannot be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20230814-11.30.53-am-1.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th August 2023 at 11:42.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 11:41   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was clicking similar pictures a while back before coming to work
Why are you using wrong floor mats in your Jimny? That doesn't seem like Jimny AT driver side floor mat. MT mat?

Last edited by Sankar : 14th August 2023 at 11:43.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks