Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2024, 15:52   #2716
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

I have been constantly eyeing for the Jimny since its launch just to give company for my 2015 Gypsy Finally, both joined my garage. The 2nd and 4th Generations. No regrets, just miles and miles of on/off road happiness!!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny.jpg  

thebikemaster is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 16:30   #2717
BANNED

Enough has been said about the Jimny so I just want to post about a major issue I had with the car. The body roll at the rear is horrible and jerky leaving me groaning with an almost vertigo inducing headache. Hence I got the RogerAB suspension buffer installed. The front does not need it as it’s not a problem but for consistency I decided that it was better the spring rate on all four coils at the front and rear was bumped by the roughly the same proportion (and yes this does make for a more consistent suspension performance and behaviour at high speed). Initially there seemed to be little to no improvement for the first two weeks and I was wondering if I should return the product in the 30day return period. Then I realised that since the lower coils contributed most to the softer initial and early compression phase I decided to slide the rear buffers lower down one level on the coils and viola! The body roll is not as pronounced - it still exists but to a lesser degree. The experience of intense momentary irritation and flash headache has toned down by 50%. The car also takes pot holes at high speeds like a champ - much better than without the suspension buffers.

I don’t know if I got defective shocks from factory that don’t damp as well as other Jimmy’s because only few people have reported the problem. In my case it was extremely bad.

As a bonus the body stance has also improved ever so slightly. I did measure the before-install height and then promptly forgot the measurements a few days later so I can’t tell by how many cm the body height has increased. But I am guessing less than 1.5cm. (Next person to install - please do report the before and after body height and tyre profile and pressure).

TIP: Don’t call the home installation mechanic and pay 600/- like I did at first, but take the car the any nearby garage with a lift to install them.

Attaching pics of the adjusted buffer location on rear coil springs. For the front I left them higher up (almost centered) as I don’t feel the need to improve anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-20240101_164856.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20240101_164911.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20240101_164918.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20231218_164432.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20231218_164454.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20231218_164503.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny Review-20231218_164711.jpeg  

Last edited by Ragul : 8th January 2024 at 16:51.
Ragul is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 18:00   #2718
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hence I got the RogerAB suspension buffer installed.

Attaching pics of the adjusted buffer location on rear coil springs. For the front I left them higher up (almost centered) as I don’t feel the need to improve anything.
These Rogerabs actually reduce articulation by retarding the compression of the coil springs. Undoubtedly they work well and I ve seen their benefit in my Yeti and in my Dad’s Glanza. They prevent the inevitable ‘bottoming out’ on our fabulous Bangalore speed breakers.

Saying that, for vehicles such as the Thar and Jimny it is better to consider a full upgrade of the suspension system itself to Ironman or similar. Those dampers and coil springs aid immeasurably in improved handling, cornering stability and damping. However, these are all expensive at Rs 1.2 -1.5 Lacs for a set. Considering the cost, and in case the Jimny is mostly used on paved roads, tarmac, gravel and dirt trails etc, the Rogerabs at 6000 Rs or less, make good sense. However, if you are going rock crawling and driving on rutted tracks you will require the articulation afforded by the suspension and will therefore find the Rogerab modulators in a way counter-productive in those circumstances.
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 21:13   #2719
BHPian

All Grip emblem missing from my Jimny

I got delivery of my Maruti Jimny Apha AT about a week back. While I am happy with the vehicle, I noticed that on the rear door the "All Grip" emblem on the right side of the rear hatch door is missing. While this is not a big issue, what is is that either the dealer has removed the emblem to fit on a another one (which is downright unethical) OR it was never installed on the factory production line. My sales guy tried to tell me that he never noticed this but did not offer to put a new emblem or correct the same.
Having said that there is no left over glue or anything on where the emblem is supposed to be (on the right side of the hatch door). So my question to other Jimny owners on Tbhp - do any of you have a unit which doesn't have this emblem?
Another issue is the steering wheel is slightly off center when being driven straight (which was the case with all my cars when delivered by the dealer). Since this creates an elbow pain for me on long drives, I am going to Madhus and getting all the wheels balanced and properly aligned.

Reg the missing emblem, I have ordered an emblem online from Maruti Suzuki Parts website but still would like to know whether my incident is isolated or not.
Mods: If you feel that this post has to go into another channel, please feel free to do so.

Last edited by motorguy : 8th January 2024 at 21:20.
Old 8th January 2024, 21:40   #2720
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
These Rogerabs actually reduce articulation by retarding the compression of the coil springs. Undoubtedly they work well and I ve seen their benefit in my Yeti and in my Dad’s Glanza. They prevent the inevitable ‘bottoming out’ on our fabulous Bangalore speed breakers.
Right, agreed. This is a stop-gap arrangement for a year until the Aussies develop new suspension kits for the 5-door Jimny, once the exports to that country commence. I don’t want to install a suspension tuned for the 3-door on to the 5-door.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 00:05   #2721
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
However, if you are going rock crawling and driving on rutted tracks you will require the articulation afforded by the suspension and will therefore find the Rogerab modulators in a way counter-productive in those circumstances.
That said and being practical - 95% of Jimny owners will never do Rock crawling.
Rutted tracks - maybe 100 meters per every 5000kms?

For the price - I think it’s a great way to postpone upgrading the suspension until you are ready to spend …
Ragul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 08:56   #2722
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Grip emblem missing from my Jimny

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
I got delivery of my Maruti Jimny Apha AT... the rear door the "All Grip" emblem on the right side of the rear hatch door is missing...
15y ago, my Safari DiCor 2.2 VTT 4x4 was delivered without 4x4 stickers under A-pillars. When pointed, dealer spoke to TML and promptly got it fixed in a few days post delivery, for free. Maruti should do the same. Take a picture and escalate to Nexa service. I think it is an unusual assembly line slip at the factory. Probably the last QC inspector was sleepy :-)

Enjoy your ride.

Cheers,
-BJ
Old 9th January 2024, 09:50   #2723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
... I noticed that on the rear door the "All Grip" emblem on the right side of the rear hatch door is missing. ...
Suggest you get the door checked at a detailing studio with a paint gauge to see if the door has been repainted. It is very unsual for this to happen from the factory and could be a repaint at the dealer where they forgot to add this back.
fiat_tarun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 11:19   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Suggest you get the door checked at a detailing studio with a paint gauge to see if the door has been repainted. It is very unsual for this to happen from the factory and could be a repaint at the dealer where they forgot to add this back.
The paint looks pristine and absolutely no sign of paint mismatch or even texture difference. Also I saw the vehicle for my own PDI a day after it arrived - I did not bother checking whether the emblem was there at that time though. But there was absolutely nothing wrong with the paint where the emblem is supposed to be.
Anyway I got a new one from Maruti Parts (online) at just Rs.89. At any rate I have also put in a complaint to NEXA.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 12:21   #2725
BHPian

This is 7 days old Black Zeta AT. The car was bought from Madhya Pradesh and will be registered in Pune.

In 7 days, she covered 1500 km. Missed the first free service because of MSIL's different service booking system.

Have planned some modifications but waiting for the registration first so not making any external changes.

Being a daily driver of XUV5OO and Scorpio-N, it took time for me to get used to a lethargic NA petrol engine.

Here are some observations from my side. Not talking about those points that have already been discussed a zillion times earlier.

Good Points
  • The base variant is adequately loaded. The steel wheels are unique and do not warrant immediate upgrade to alloys.
  • Stock tires are best for amazing ride quality. The upgrade will make ride quality harsh.
  • Tank full to tankful method returned 13.7 KMPL (90% highway drive).
  • Adequate space for four and big boot space.
  • The stock music system is better than the XUV5OO stock music system. It is decent enough to live with and does not demand immediate upgrades.

Things that I did not like
  • Buggy head unit. Deleting the previously paired BT devices took ages. Carplay keeps disconnecting.
  • Poor fuel economy in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Less than 8 KMPL.
  • Lower tank capacity and poor FE result in lower highway range thus want you to stop for frequent fill-ups. Generally, my other vehicles do run 900-1000 km between each tankful.
  • The HU brightness and MID brightness do not have auto adjustment according to day and night. MID's brightness is fixed and it burns eyes during night drive.

Is anyone from MH12 and MH14 here? Please DM me, we will connect.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny Review-jimny2.jpg  

Maruti Jimny Review-whatsapp-image-20240109-12.17.12.jpeg  

dicor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 17:20   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor;5695877

[B
Things that I did not like[/b]
  • The HU brightness and MID brightness do not have auto adjustment according to day and night. MID's brightness is fixed and it burns eyes during night drive.

Is anyone from MH12 and MH14 here? Please DM me, we will connect.
By setting the Indicator selection knob (which is located right side of instrument cluster) to brightness control, you can set to auto dimming. To do so, ensure that brightness is set to a maximum of six or less bars. (total bars are seven)
Also in HU settings select display settings to auto mode. With these settings whenever you switch ON lights, the instrument cluster & HU display will dim.
Rahul Lal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 18:18   #2727
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Jimny discounts down by Rs 75,000 to Rs 1.55 lakh.

Quote:
2023 models of the Maruti Jimny Alpha variants get benefits of up to Rs 1.55 lakh, while Zeta variants manufactured in the same year are offered with Rs 55,000 worth of benefits. If you’re looking for a 2024 model of the SUV, there’s a maximum discount of Rs 5,000 available on both variants.
Maruti Jimny Review-screenshot-20240109-181828.png
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 20:57   #2728
BHPian

Re: My New Jimny first drive impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post
Hi all,

Got delivery of my Bluish Black Alpha AT on 18th December. The delivery was a bit delayed on time, however was fully satisfied with the support provided by the sales advisor from Indus Motors.
Looks great. Jimny with its slab sided panels has to be ornamented with accessories when it really looks good. Else it looks too plain and boring.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 09:40   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
Would this mount allow the bike to be positioned in a vertical axis, rather than the wheels protruding too much sideways? Even a minor sideswipe could cause some serious damage to the pocket, with the cost of these bicycles running into lakhs of INR!
Old 10th January 2024, 10:26   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Would this mount allow the bike to be positioned in a vertical axis, rather than the wheels protruding too much sideways? Even a minor sideswipe could cause some serious damage to the pocket, with the cost of these bicycles running into lakhs of INR!
Unfortunately, this is the only way that the bicycles can be mounted on this and other back stands. The wheels protrude because Jimnys width is less than the wheelbase of most bikes. The only solution I know to this is to drive extra carefully and let people trying to pass you go first.

To get a stand which minimizes the chance of having a car hit your bicycle, you probably need to invest in a roof rack for the bicycle. I know Maruti official accessories sell one for around 32k. Link to that here.
pepega is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks