Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2023, 00:08   #1426
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Daroga View Post
Test drove an MT today and here are my thoughts over the AT:

All in all, the test drive cleared a lot of doubts created by journalists about the manual transmission. I am not changing my booking to AT. This engine-gearbox combination is a gem beyond 1st gear. If it's fun that you seek, this stickshift won't disappoint you.
Thank you for clearing my doubts. MT Jimny is nowhere to be found in Noida for a TD. I was worried after the media drive about my choice of transmission. Took a test drive of the AT and I was clear that AT is not for me for sure as it was revving too high to my liking, I mean even a Polo Tsi revs high in sports mode but it’s a different kind of high this sounded more strained.
Now waiting for my MT Jimny with a sigh of relief. Thanks again.
Zanskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 00:35   #1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
I am sure it must have been an amazing journey. I believe you were stuck in Sissu due the the cloud bursts and flash floods. I must say you had a fortunate escape as if you were slightly higher up, the situation would have been worse.

On the car itself, i wanted to check on a couple of things with you:

1. What sort of mileage did you get on the highways and the mountains?
2. In the high altitude areas where the oxygen levels would have been lower, how strained did the car feel?
Hey, yeah.. we were definitely fortunate!
Mileage was really good at around 13.7kmpl
Regarding high altitude the car didn't feel strained at all, Suzuki has done high altitude test and tuned the ecu accordingly. I was also worried how the car would perform on Khardungla but no issues at all!
Jimny_svm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 09:15   #1428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
A very honest, unbiased and practical review. Thanks a lot. As I keep saying, if only the pep was there, the Jimny is a winner by a huge margin. Top end for any sane driver is maximum 100-110 KMPH but it's the pickup which makes a huge difference, both in city as well as highway drives. Hopefully, if someone can give a engine tuning at reasonable prices, it might really be useful. I felt the brakes didn't have much bite. How was the braking feel compared to your regular rides?
Thank you. Braking feel is not good when you consider the price point of the car. However there are bigger problems to be concerned about when it comes to preventive safety - braking is just one aspect of the big picture. No offence to Maruti owners, but it's not exactly a brand that instills great confidence when it comes to safety. The best thing they have done about safety is to give an engine that lacks josh What I mention here is not a criticism of Jimny but one should understand that a high GC body-on-frame drives very differently compared to regular sedans. These cars are not as comfortable and safe on highways as regular cars.

1. I usually take cloverleaf ramps (such as the one in Bangalore airport, NICE road) at a brisk pace. Jimny can turn turtle easily if you don't slow down.

2. If you go over rumble strips at a modest speed, Jimny doesn't hold a straight line. It tries to swing to the left and to the right. I found it very amusing but if the speeds are higher, it can be dangerous.

3. Even in city traffic, one needs to brake early to be on the safe side. The stopping distance feels a bit longer.

4. Emergency stopping at 100 kmph type of speeds will be risky. It's not a car that will come to a complete stop without drama.

5. While on the highway, I failed to see a small water puddle and I had a nervous moment when Jimny went over it.

6. I usually find it easy to hold my line while weaving between trucks - you know the times when two trucks have occupied both the lanes and maintaining almost same speed. With Jimny, you need a higher factor of safety to do such a manoeuvre.

7. Crosswinds can be felt significantly - better to slow down.

I can go on listing these issues but it's all to do with high GC, poor aerodynamics and price positioning. I have no plans to make any modifications to the car - it's near perfect for my needs. I just wish it had a bigger fuel tank (60L/600KM range would have been perfect!) - jerrycan is too much of a hassle for the routes I do - I might as well plan a refuelling stop.

Yes, 30 - 70 kmph acceleration is poor and can be humbling to see everyone overtake you with so much ease but I feel engine lacking power is probably a blessing in disguise. Helps you being "grounded" (lol). If you think of "getting out of the city", "highway driving" and "off roading" as a triathlon, Jimny will win it because it performs very well in two out of three stages and just about OK in the remaining stage. Just accept the limitations when it comes to highway driving and drive accordingly.
androdev is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 09:20   #1429
Senior - BHPian

After listening to the list of shortcomings, I just cant find anything to like in the Jimny!!

The list of shortcomings is way to long. the off-road cred doesnt compensate for the compromises the car needs you to make.

The Thar, inspite of the 3 doors, seems so much more "Ownable".
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 09:29   #1430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
After listening to the list of shortcomings, I just cant find anything to like in the Jimny!!

The list of shortcomings is way to long. the off-road cred doesnt compensate for the compromises the car needs you to make.

Its just the price that is no where close to justification. I think a better price point, maybe 2-3 lakhs cheaper would have done wonders for the car. Right now it just feels like a rich man's toy.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 10:32   #1431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I think Thar vs Jimny dilemma is an open and shut case. They cater to two different types of buyers looking for some off road capabilities and both are excellent choices. Typically Mahindra tends to cater to buyers who prefer power, presence and features. Maruti appeals to buyers who prefer a compact, reliable, easy to own package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Its just the price that is no where close to justification. I think a better price point, maybe 2-3 lakhs cheaper would have done wonders for the car. Right now it just feels like a rich man's toy.
The price feels steep only because for most buyers, this will be a secondary/weekend/hobby car. If there are people lucky enough to buy this as a primary car (just two member family, living in the hills/farm or exclusively for a city like Bangalore) - it's a very good VFM considering the long term ownership costs as well.

Jimny is very tempting as city-only car. I agree there are many crossovers that will do a better job at this price but you are going to be lost in the sea of "me-too" crossovers. This little guy has a lot of appeal to the middle aged folks who missed the Gypsy era and I think Maruti has done a fantastic job of retaining the character and integrity of the Gypsy concept. Being a Maruti, the exclusivity factor will soon be gone, but I think the car will have terrific innings.
androdev is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 10:50   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimny_svm View Post
Overall I loved the feel of Jimny. It's a beast off-road and a gentle animal onroad. It's happy to cruise at 100 in highways, beyond that it feels stretched. Considering the off-road capabilities I am satisfied with its on road performance. Body roll is there but not as much as Thar. It's much more nimble and agile than Thar. The engine feels slightly underpowered especially when you want to overtake but not so much on off-roading. It's a keeper any day!
Great travelogue, buddy! How was the drive to the mountains in terms of performance and mileage? Is it (AT) version?
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 12:29   #1433

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Great travelogue, buddy! How was the drive to the mountains in terms of performance and mileage? Is it (AT) version?
Hey, thanks man! I would recommend MT over AT purely because AT is 4speed and the engine feels strained all the time (my impression from Test drive of AT). As for MT which I have, there were no performance issues, except that the engine feels strained beyond 120kmph (around 80-100 is the sweet spot). It is slightly underpowered but does the job, no complaints! On the mountains mileage was around 13.5kmpl and on highways it was 12kmpl. If you run at 80kmph on highways you should easily get 13-14kmpl.
Jimny_svm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 12:45   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I think Thar vs Jimny dilemma is an open and shut case. .... it's a very good VFM considering the long term ownership costs as well.....
Jimny is very tempting as city-only car. I agree there are many crossovers that will do a better job at this price but you are going to be lost in the sea of "me-too" crossovers. This little guy has a lot of appeal to the middle aged folks who missed the Gypsy era and I think Maruti has done a fantastic job of retaining the character and integrity of the Gypsy concept. Being a Maruti, the exclusivity factor will soon be gone, but I think the car will have terrific innings.
Very aptly put. When the first iteration of Thar was launched, it connected emotionally with all guys who wanted to own one (It's a Jeep thing) but limited by it's practicality of being a daily drive. More than a decade later, Jimny with all it's modern day comforts still connects emotionally with all. It's super cute, extremely reliable, mod friendly, has the best ASS Pan India. The only problem is the expectation that people have. It is not a one size fits all car. It is built for a purpose and if that purpose isn't the buyers' sole priority, he will be definitely disappointed. One the other hand, people who swear by the gypsy will definitely be extremely satisfied with the Jimny as it is the perfect upgrade. I think I'll take a call after an extended test drive once all this euphoria dies down. But, boy the Jimny is cute.
Neil Roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 12:49   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I got 400 KM range on full tank with mixed road conditions. One needs to start planning for refuelling after 300KM which is a bit low in my opinion.

The rural section is my main reason for buying Jimny and I couldn't be happier. Not just in terms of capabilities, but the unassuming grey Jimny really blends into the landscape without attracting much attention.

I think there will be fewer Jimnys showing up in the resale market compared to the Thar. The lack of outright power and compact dimensions actually help Jimny filter out the buyers that are not its target market. In exchange for the shortcomings that are typical of such a high GC car, it does offer a lot of character and feel-good emotions. A car to grow old with]

Thanks for the clean and objective owners review.

1. 400km is Very decent range from that 40 litre tank considering the non aerodynamic nature of the vehicle.
2. The rural segment is where such a car comes into its own. And yes, this is an unassuming little car. But these MSIL people have priced the car high and perhaps reduced the appeal to the typical rural folk who look for VFM.
3. Your point about the lack of outright power etc filtering out the non-serious buyer is absolutely right. Those who seek ‘road presence’ should look elsewhere. (Considering that in India, Road Presence = Might is Right!)
4. I love your statement about the diminutive and plucky little Jimny being a car to ‘grow old with’. I feel that way about my Gypsy but do not know how long our ‘Great Powers’ will allow it to be driven.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 13:00   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Braking feel is not good when you consider the price point of the car. However there are bigger problems to be concerned about when it comes to preventive safety - braking is just one aspect of the big picture. No offence to Maruti owners, but it's not exactly a brand that instills great confidence when it comes to safety. The best thing they have done about safety is to give an engine that lacks josh What I mention here is not a criticism of Jimny but one should understand that a high GC body-on-frame drives very differently compared to regular sedans. These cars are not as comfortable and safe on highways as regular cars.

2. If you go over rumble strips at a modest speed, Jimny doesn't hold a straight line. It tries to swing to the left and to the right. I found it very amusing but if the speeds are higher, it can be dangerous.

3. Even in city traffic, one needs to brake early to be on the safe side. The stopping distance feels a bit longer.

4. Emergency stopping at 100 kmph type of speeds will be risky. It's not a car that will come to a complete stop without drama.

5. While on the highway, I failed to see a small water puddle and I had a nervous moment when Jimny went over it.

6. I usually find it easy to hold my line while weaving between trucks - you know the times when two trucks have occupied both the lanes and maintaining almost same speed. With Jimny, you need a higher factor of safety to do such a manoeuvre.

7. Crosswinds can be felt significantly - better to slow down.
The official Team-Bhp review says
Quote:
The Jimny is equipped with disc brakes at the front and drum brakes at the rear. The performance is as expected and the car comes to a halt without much drama. Under hard braking too, the car doesn't lose its composure.
So did you try hard braking from speeds above 100 kmph? If not, if you get a safe chance to try it out, will you please share your experience?

2 - Most ladder on frame vehicles might behave similarly over rumble strips. Could be due to the way the suspensions are setup in these vehicles. The suspension setup tends to make these vehicle jump up and down and they would lose their direction especially the back that is more bouncy. Should behave differently if you have a full load at the back.

5. Did the vehicle aquaplane (even slightly)? Again any vehicle would do that based on the speed, and the ability of the tyres to force the water away from the tyres using their tread pattern. The light weight of the car also would have contributed to that.

6. This would be because of the suspension setup. One will have to get used to it. Long slung hatchbacks and sedans are the best for this. This is a good feedback since the small size might make people think you can easily do this maneuvering.

7. Again light weight and straight profiles all around would contribute towards this. Did it sort of force you to make steering corrections?
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 13:02   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimny_svm View Post
Hey, thanks man! I would recommend MT over AT purely because AT is 4speed and the engine feels strained all the time (my impression from Test drive of AT). As for MT which I have, there were no performance issues.
Which cars/transmissions have you owned prior to the Jimny? Have you owned any AT vehicles before? The reason I ask is because your experience is in stark contrast to my own experience during the media drive. AT, particularly AMT and TC gearboxes need to be driven with a light foot.

The Jimny shuffles through the gears quickly to 3rd or 4th depending on the OD on/off. If you drive with a light foot the gears change early. A bit more pressure and they will hold the gears for longer.

DCT is another beast which does a lot of calculations every millisecond to figure out what you are doing / plan on doing and reacts accordingly.
gsferrari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 13:06   #1438
BHPian

Quote:

Everything changes after you take a test drive of the Jimny. It is love at first drive.

Thar vs Jimny argument is simple. The Thar makes a great 2nd car, the Jimny can be the only car for a nuclear family. The Jimny also justifies its price tag if you consider what price the 5 door Thar will be launched at. Or simply compare it to a lot less capable but modern Grand Vitara / Hyryder All Wheel Drive costing around 20 lakhs on road.

The Jimny makes practical sense.
R.Daroga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 13:48   #1439
BHPian

Quote:

Strange, because my MG410 Gypsy with radials and 24psi all around just glides over the rumble strips on Old Airport road at around 50-60kmph without even a hint of feeling squiggly. My Linea on the other hand dances all over the place at those speeds.

I wonder if the tyre pressure was off on your TD Jimny like it normally is on all TD vehicles.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 13:53   #1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Which cars/transmissions have you owned prior to the Jimny? Have you owned any AT vehicles before? The reason I ask is because your experience is in stark contrast to my own experience during the media drive. AT, particularly AMT and TC gearboxes need to be driven with a light foot.

The Jimny shuffles through the gears quickly to 3rd or 4th depending on the OD on/off. If you drive with a light foot the gears change early. A bit more pressure and they will hold the gears for longer.

DCT is another beast which does a lot of calculations every millisecond to figure out what you are doing / plan on doing and reacts accordingly.
Infact, I own a VW Polo GT
It is a beast with 7speed DSG. This is the reason I didn't go for the 4-speed TC in Jimny. Imagine cruising at 100kmph on 4th gear, too much engine noise. If you want to use it mainly for city driving, definitely go for the AT.
Jimny_svm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks