Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 15:05   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
After listening to the list of shortcomings, I just cant find anything to like in the Jimny
I can understand your sentiment here As I have said earlier on this very thread, the Jimny is an "evolved" Gypsy and that is about it. I say this having lived with 2 Gypsys in the past and currently living (and madly in love) with a second-gen Thar. Folks who have owned a Gypsy - or folks who wanted to own one but could not, due to its obvious impracticalities - would love the Jimny to no end.

Just like the Gypsy, it is an absolute purpose-built vehicle - its sole purpose of existence is to go off the road and how! Folks looking at anything else (yes, even a pure play cute city car or substitute for a crossover), please look elsewhere or be prepared to post it up on OLX/TBHP Classified in a few months, all that jazz about legacy, character, and heritage notwithstanding.

So, my request to folks considering the Jimny - please be very sure of what you are signing up for, before taking the plunge!

Last edited by cool_dube : 24th July 2023 at 15:29.
cool_dube is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 15:05   #1472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
This may be an attribute of the body on frame construction and the way the steering linkages are set up. You will find the same thing in the Innova Crysta.
As far as I could see from pictures Jimny uses RCBT steering and Innova should be using a R&P set up, solid axles Vs IFS - in other words if Innova steering has play something is worn out.
Old 24th July 2023, 20:13   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
[h3]
Pending upgrades:

I am yet to find an armrest that’s both aesthetically pleasing and comfortable. The seat cover manufacturer is confident that Jimny-compatible armrests will become available in a month or two. Will get it installed as soon as it becomes available as I sorely missed it during yesterday’s drive on the expressway.
Maruti Jimny Review-jpg.jpg

The most important accessory (for me) is here. I saw this design armrest in one of the international (Japanese) reviews and then frantically searched on the internet. I found it on Amazon Japan and ordered it, along with a centre console organiser and a cup/phone holder. I ordered these three items on Thursday evening and received them earlier today. It took less than four days (two working days). The total cost was around Rs 13k, including premium shipping and customs duty. The entire process, handled by Amazon/DHL, was quite smooth. I paid the total fee, including the customs duty, at the time of checkout and had to upload documents for KYC on DHL’s KYC portal.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3419.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3424.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3425.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3428.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3427.jpeg

The armrest feels sturdy and well-built. It’s significantly better than the universal ones I saw at local accessories shops. Even the option I saw online (with multiple USB ports) didn’t seem to be put together very well. This one slotted in flush with the rear cup/bottle holders. It also has double-sided tape attached to ensure a stable fit.

The centre console organiser is made of soft, rubbery material (Urethane, as per the Amazon listing). This should help avoid the clatter that plastic ones may cause.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3415.jpeg
Maruti Jimny Review-img_3421.jpeg

I will install the cup holder later as I want to try it on the passenger side first. If it doesn’t obstruct the ORVM, I will keep it there; otherwise, I’ll move it to the driver’s side.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3414.jpeg

Links if anyone is interested:
Armrest
https://amzn.asia/d/j4WdToR

Centre console
https://amzn.asia/d/0J76qgh

Cup holder
https://amzn.asia/d/0I1Nc2O

In other updates, I got the first service/inspection done over the weekend. It was a pleasant experience at Nexa (Motorcraft) Sector 57, Noida. I booked the appointment on the Maruti Rewards App well past midnight on Friday. I reached the service station at noon, was promptly attended to, and the work was completed by 3pm, despite it being a particularly busy day there. They were kind enough to remove the plates from the rear roof bar (I mentioned it as a source of noise in one of the earlier posts) and conceal the wire for the dash-cam.

Maruti Jimny Review-img_3379.jpeg

Maruti Jimny Review-20230723t200104.680088_img_3384_tiqqler.jpeg

PS: Beegu loves the rides in this too but remains curious about the destination, always hopeful it’s not the vet.

Maruti Jimny Review-f35f3356407648d188e7946822aca7b0.jpeg
Biraj is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 20:15   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
As far as I could see from pictures Jimny uses RCBT steering and Innova should be using a R&P set up, solid axles Vs IFS - in other words if Innova steering has play something is worn out.
Nothing is worn out. You will find this behavior even in brand new cars. You will probably never notice this in your regular driving. But if you turn the steering slightly to the left and then to the right (very slightly), it will not impact the direction of the car when you are going straight. For most of the other cars, the steering is usually very sensitive to even the slightest of the changes.
Old 24th July 2023, 20:41   #1475
BHPian

Just got to know from Yokohama dealer that the Geolanders with white lettering are Thailand made and does not provide any warranty!
Geolanders without white lettering are Indian made and they carry 5 year warranty!

Can someone pls confirm on this ?
Old 25th July 2023, 07:38   #1476
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki's 5d Jimny for Japan will get the Mild Hybrid system. Will target European markets too and will be 'Made in Japan'.

Quote:
The Japan specification is expected to adopt the latest powertrain electrified by mild hybrids and other vehicles with a view to sales in the European market. In addition, the Kosai Plant is expected to be in charge of production of Japan and European specifications, as with the previous 3-door Jimny.
Jimny Sierra 5-door long body is a 5- and 7-seater

Quote:
The "Jimny Sierra 5-door long body" is considered to be under development in both a 5-seater specification and a 7-seater specification. In particular, the five-seater version is expected to be less than 5 meters long, and the wheelbase and overall length should be the same as the 4-door long test cars with camouflage paint that have been seen so far.
Quote:
It is a famous roadmap for SUV models to debut from Suzuki between 2022~2025. It is also shown here that the "JIMNY LWB & HEV" will be released in the global market at the timing of a minor change in 2024.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 07:48   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I have my Jimny on order and still waiting for delivery, Most likely next month or two.

Quick Question. Does the Jimny have an Oil Temperature Guage and/or a coolant temp guage ?

Regards,
Arjun Rudra
Old 25th July 2023, 08:47   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Hi All,

I have my Jimny on order and still waiting for delivery, Most likely next month or two.

Quick Question. Does the Jimny have an Oil Temperature Guage and/or a coolant temp guage ?

Regards,
Arjun Rudra
The Jimny has only two ‘gauges’ - the tach and the speedo. All remaining alerts are via a multitude of lights on the dials or via the limited but comprehensive MID. For coolant temp, there’s a blue universal coolant symbol at startup, implying that the engine is below optimal threshold. This soon goes off, indicating normal operating temperature. I’m guessing, there’ll be a lamp or MID alert if the coolant is overheating or running dry. I miss good old dials too, but they’re increasingly absent in new age cars.

On a totally unrelated note - I’m looking to procure a set of radial arm protectors for my Jimny. Those four wedges at the bottom seem to be the most susceptible to damage over adventurism and could seriously jeopardise the vehicle in a bad hit. Importing these would cost a bomb for what they represent. Anyone has ideas how/if they can be sourced locally?

Last edited by SUVolens : 25th July 2023 at 08:51. Reason: Added query
Old 25th July 2023, 09:01   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
They were kind enough to remove the plates from the rear roof bar (I mentioned it as a source of noise in one of the earlier posts) and conceal the wire for the dash-cam.
I'm considering the roof bars- I'm curious if the booming noise has reduced post removal of the plates as mentioned above?

Below are some likely reasons of whistling due to cross bars. I'm not sure if they can be fully eliminated
kesh4munni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 10:15   #1480
Distinguished - BHPian

Ownership review from UAE of Suzuki Jimny (3D) after 75,000 km. Modifications and more in the review.

volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:56   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
I'm considering the roof bars- I'm curious if the booming noise has reduced post removal of the plates as mentioned above?
It hasn’t

The noise starts around 70 kmph. I will try the bungee rope trick. If it doesn’t work, may consider removing the racks.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 15:18   #1482
BHPian

Finally, after having booked the Jimny on 14th Jan, got a call (and a mail) from the dealer stating that I've been allotted the vehicle. I had originally booked a GG, but later changed to KY owing to the demands from the family :-).
Now busy finalizing the official accessories and scouting for after marked add-ons !!
mpant05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 17:06   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post
Just got to know from Yokohama dealer that the Geolanders with white lettering are Thailand made and does not provide any warranty!
Geolanders without white lettering are Indian made and they carry 5 year warranty!

Can someone pls confirm on this ?
I got the Geolanders with white lettering & Dealer did say that these are imported, however warranty was provided, these were registered with Yokohama India and I have also received the warranty certificate.

Maruti Jimny Review-yokowarranty.jpg
highwaycruizer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 18:19   #1484
BHPian

Some crazy scenes from Himalayas - few foreign travelers took Autorickshaw to places where a 4*4 is desired ! This series from BRH expedition is a good one ! Jimny performs really well !

VivekWalia1986 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 21:30   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I’ve recently heard and seen some videos as well about water seeping into the cabin when taking the Jimny in safe water wading situations.

Is this a one off case or a common issue or fault with all Jimny ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks