Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 18:20   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
And Sid, please explain what are those in the first two pics of your post?
corroding metal under the bonnet. The bonnet felt like tin foil.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:26   #122
BHPian

Thanks Eddy, nice review. While the WR has never been a 'looker' it is a very functional / practical car. That's the reason it has been so popular. With this upgrade MS has ensured that it continues to sell well.
Old 24th April 2010, 18:34   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
corroding metal under the bonnet. The bonnet felt like tin foil.
Are you sure they are corroding metal and not Weld/Solder spots. I found the doors and the hatch door quite heavy and solid when i saw it. Dint open bonnet to check.

Some clearer pics which i clicked.Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-img_3394.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-img_3395.jpg
Cup holder for rear passengers
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-img_3397.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-img_3398.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-img_3399.jpg
Wheel well fells empty even with R14 in VXI
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-img_3405.jpg
The body kit is not good . Car looks much better plain.
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-img_3402.jpg

Last edited by -NUT-case : 24th April 2010 at 18:35.
Old 24th April 2010, 19:59   #124
BHPian

Impressions from an old wagonR user

It's finally here. After 9 long years, the WagonR is seeing a true replacement.

While I was unconvinced about the new platform claims (based on what a friend in Maruti had said and the suspiciously similar dimensions of the new version wrt the old one (see below), but reluctantly I must conclude that this is indeed a complete update. And about time too!

Old / Facelifted, New, New Japanese version
Width: 1475, 1475, 1475
Height: 1660, 1670, 1660
Length: 3495 / 3520, 3595, 3395
Front track width: 1295, 1295, 1295
Rear track width: 1290, 1290, 1290
Wheelbase: 2360, 2400, 2400

Same body width, same track width, same height (almost)
Different wheelbase though, so something has changed. Also those L-shaped arms being employed in the suspension setup - whatever those are.

Anyway, I drove the old WagonR (non-facelifted) in Delhi traffic for quite some time and I found it to be a decent car overall. The engine was a good one, not exactly punchy, but I was always able to get away first at traffic lights.

The gear shift had long throws with some rubbery feel, sure, but the biggest problem I thought it had were the van like foot controls. The clutch pedal used to hang high in the air with a long travel, making frequent pedal presses in traffic painful, more so when I had to do these stuck in a jam on a flyover, heading up. This would result in stalling of the engine, not to mention a hurting foot after a long traffic hit ride home.

Eddy - can you please let us know if the foot pedals are more car like now?

The looks of the first one were not great but not offensive either, though never a hit with the ladies. Like someone said before, a guy could appreciate the practicality of the car. Did end up household articles from one place to another on more than one occasion, and always ended up appreciating the roominess.
Wonder if the new car would be the same with its reduced boot size. If it is, it should continue to appeal to family types, who look for practicality over and above looks. But I wonder why Maruti had to go and change the looks from the Japanese model, which looks so much better. These days the company seems to have a thing for brash, unrefined and downright ugly looking designs. None of its recent creations would exactly bring home the prettiest car award (SX4, Estilo, and now this).
It's a bit of a shame really; the market in India is now maturing and I for one wouldn't mind a little maturity in design from the largest manufacturer in the country.

However, while on the subject of looks, the competition in this segment isn't likely to hurt the WagonR too much. The i10 with its frog like face and the Beat with its quirky all-headlamp front will have their share of lovers and detractors too. Which means that in the end buyers would go for the WagonR if nothing for the wide and sure service network.

I feel the shift to the three cylinder engine is a backward step, since they are inherently less balanced and therefore rougher than the four cylinder engines. It's not a surprise then that most reviews of the car point to higher noise levels than competition. Maruti's penchant for cost 'optimization' (cutting) and resultant less use of insulation could also have something to do with this.

Finally, a rant. With a new car comes new advertising. While I have not seen any TV adverts for this car till date, the print ones and those on the radio are going on about this car being the blue eyed boy. This seems to continue from Maruti's obsession earlier with 'men' (SX4 ads), now continuing with a 'boy'. Either Maruti's marketing department is full of females, which I am pretty sure it isn't, or there are certain individuals there with, uh, different tastes.
While I am sure I am over-reacting to this , why is this term being used to associate with the car? Just because of the blue lenses for the parking lights. Really? That is its claim to fame?
Anyway, in the interests of gender equality, I suggest that when Maruti introduces the facelift, with no doubt differently coloured lenses as the major change, it call it the green eyed girl.

Last edited by mayjay : 24th April 2010 at 20:10.
Old 24th April 2010, 20:06   #125
BHPian

Managed to TD the new Wagon R today at Pratham, Blore. Infact I was the first to take a TD of the car. The car just came out from the basement after which a small Puja was conducted, 10 ltrs of petrol filled and then offered to me for the TD. More on the drive later. Now for a compartive review of the 2 WagonR (I own a 2003 Vxi).

Exteriors:
The Car definitely looks better than my wagon R and the outgoing Wagon R. The overall length looks much more than the existing model. However, a side view clearly indicates a snouted front (to accommodate the K series motor). This makes the front overhang more than desired. The wagon R never has been a good looking car (being a Tall boy) and so is this. The increase in width seems negligible and the increase in height actually makes the car look narrower. The car looked very good in the light blue colour with the body kits. The rear view actually gives you the impression of bigness. The crome strip on the license plate gives a classy look. The rear wiper is defintely a nice feature.

The front looks more bold and nice. However, what was striking out was the huge panel gap between the bonnet and fender. This was disconcerting and I think Maruti will have to close this soon. Overall in comparison to the old wagon R, the new wagon R is definitely a couple of notches above.

Interiors:
Step into the blue eyed boy's cabin, and the interiors really strike you. The dashboard is entirely new and looks very good. Infact the quality of material and build is miles ahead of the old and on par with Ritz. The doors closed with a thud similar to Ritz and brought a smile on my phase. People used to the low quality interiors of Wagon R will clearly make out the improvements. Fantastic to say the least. The bottle holder in front of the AC vents is a very nice feature. The quality is also good, though the same was not getting locked into the dashboard for some reason. The Intergrated Stereo looks really good. The buttons are very easy to operate though I am used to the Steering controls as in my SX4. Wish they had this too on offer. The front passenger seat lifts up to offer space on a removable tray to store a lot of things. Very innovative feature.
Coming to the rear, the seat offered much more thigh support. The quality of the seats also are very good.
The most important aspect, rear leg room;This is simply outstanding. I am nearly 5'10" and with the seat set for me to drive comfortably, the rear leg room was extremely good. Guess this has been done at the cost of the boot space. Three full sized adults would be a tough fit, but the head and shoulder rooms are much better than the old model. Again clearly all these taking the car significantly ahead to fight its competition. The boot space is less than my wagon R. This is really a disappointment for me. However,the 60:40 rear seat folding option will negate that to a certain extent. All in all, the interiors is really contemporary yet practical offering
tremendous space for passengers and the stuff that they want to keep.

The Drive:
I wanted to take the TD to really get a measure of the K series motor. However, was told the vehicle has just arrived and not been registered. I told them I just want to take a small spin. They immediately obliged. However, had to wait for some time as they had to do the Puja and then offered the keys to me saying that I was the first to test drive. Put the Key and cranked the motor. At idle the motor was silent. The gear was slotted into 1st position bringing a smile in my phase. The long truck like lever of wagon R with sticky movements were a thing of the past. The lever slotted in easily. I still feel the gear lever as sticky in comparison to my SX4 where the gear lever gives you a click with very short throws. Nevertheless the gear shift has improved by miles.

Pressed the acclerator and the car surged. However, what was disappointing was a loud boomy noise from the engine. Clearly a cylinder less showing up. Despite being a 3 cylinder, the engine had much more punch than the 1.1 engine. The pick up was perceptibly better with the mid range being very strong. The ride quality is clearly better and so is the handling. The car feels heavier than my old one though I am not sure of the actual difference in kerb weight.

Overall it is much better than the outgoing motor for city drives. The only sad part was the engine noise. The AC was extremely effective. I was told that it offers best in class cooling (not sure though).

In summary what was good:
1. Interior space - more head room, shoulder room and leg room
2. Interior quality and features
3. Better looks than the outgoing model (Though a subjective point)
4. Innovative storage spaces
5. Stronger motor that loves to be revved

What could have been better:
1. Engine noise insulation - too boomy for my liking
2. Front bonnet and fender gap - very glaring
3. Could have offered steering mounted audio controls.
4. Tires seemd puny. Could have offered wider ones atleast in Vxi

Overall if in my books old Wagon R is 6 on 10, the new is surely 9 on 10.
Old 24th April 2010, 20:24   #126
Senior - BHPian

What a pity of a design. In the name of practicality how long we have to tolerate eyesores like these.Pathetic to see such upgrades in 2010.I agree with each points Gemi has mentioned.In addition what about those pathetic rear tail lamp assembly?

Last edited by poloman : 24th April 2010 at 20:31.
Old 24th April 2010, 20:29   #127
Senior - BHPian

My santro still has far better gearshift quality than this K10B wagon r. I didn't TD the car, but the 2 cars on display inside the showroom had improved, but still notchy gearbox.
Old 24th April 2010, 20:35   #128
BHPian

Quote:
I think some are over reacting to the design of the WagonR. It never was beautiful and will never be. What it was and will be is "functional". I quite like the tall design and is very convenient to ingress/egress the car.
Not that I wanna pick on words here, why can't functional be also beautiful especially when MS made a 'propaah' attempt at revamping the WagonR by going in for a all new wider wheel base.

Quote:
The seats have been made comfortable by increasing the wheelbase and it has more equipments than i10 magna at a lesser price. What else do we need here? People who want nice looking cars can buy the Fiats and those who want dynamic ones, look at Ford and for those who want a simple, no-nonsense car; we have the WagonR(Maruti).
Have you driven the new i10 1.2 Kappa? Its got a neat pickup and spirited mid range for cars in the same segment. Its not a fair comparsion for the Wagon R as it has a puny 1 ltr engine.

- B4W

PS: Why does the central dasboard console remind me of the one in the Tata Sumo ?
Old 24th April 2010, 20:59   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Not that I wanna pick on words here, why can't functional be also beautiful especially when MS made a 'propaah' attempt at revamping the WagonR by going in for a all new wider wheel base.

Have you driven the new i10 1.2 Kappa? Its got a neat pickup and spirited mid range for cars in the same segment. Its not a fair comparsion for the Wagon R as it has a puny 1 ltr engine.

- B4W

PS: Why does the central dasboard console remind me of the one in the Tata Sumo ?
I am talking about the iRDe i10 here which is again priced too high compared to the WagonR. Also people's opinion vary, things I find beautiful will be ugly for others.

It all comes down to the buyers. They choose what they want. When I am going to be sitting inside the car most of the time, I will only look if I am comfortable in it and not whether the car is a looker
Old 24th April 2010, 21:16   #130
BHPian

If not for the pricing part i would have loved to get the i10 just for the superb IRDE 1.1 engine which is tourqy as well as gives good FE. But seeing what a VFM package that Wagon R is compared to i10 at this point i am leaning towards the wagonR.
Old 24th April 2010, 21:37   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay
The looks of the first one were not great but not offensive either, though never a hit with the ladies.
True. The Wagoner was never a looker. But even with the bread-loaf looks, it enticed me enough to zero in on it in 2005, before a casual TD (with zero intention of buying) of the Baleno made me ditch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay
However, while on the subject of looks, the competition in this segment isn't likely to hurt the WagonR too much. The i10 with its frog like face and the Beat with its quirky all-headlamp front will have their share of lovers and detractors too.
Yes. Most of the hatches in the market today look crappy, so this is not going to be too much of a deciding factor for the buyer IMO. Actually manufacturers seem to be competing against each other to come out with the crappiest looking hatch - Ritz, i20, Figo (front only - I like the rear) etc being examples. The Beat is the only one that seems to hold its own in the looks department.

My only grouse with Suzuki is about not having the K12B motor in this car.
That is a serious disappointment, coming so soon after them not giving us the K10B in the Alto.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:14   #132
Senior - BHPian

Is it only me or are there other members who agree that just like many other cars, even this one has become uglier with every facelift / new version? The oldest WagonR looked boxy but not wannabe. Each succesive facelift and now the new model look like they're trying very to hide their boxiness as if they were ashamed of it.

Besides that, some improvements the WagonR always needed like better ride, better gearshift and better rear seats have been done. What I think it will lose is the almost "flat" torque curve which made the old engine a good city drive, pulling well at low RPMs. This one needs some stick it seems. Sad about the boot space, but then most new generation hatches have lesser space than their predecessors to increase seating space be it the Vista over Indica, Ritz or this one.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:25   #133
Senior - BHPian

The more pics i see, the more i am getting tempted to exchange my good old waggy with this one.

Loads of space, decent engine, phenomenol FE, good ride quality in the city, easy ingress and egress, excellent visibility and superb after sales - this car is so much promising.

But still, i would have appreciated k12M and a bigger boot. Sadly, can't get everything - can we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
My santro still has far better gearshift quality than this K10B wagon r. I didn't TD the car, but the 2 cars on display inside the showroom had improved, but still notchy gearbox.
Ok your Santro rocks buddy. Be happy
Old 24th April 2010, 22:45   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
T

Loads of space, decent engine, phenomenol FE, good ride quality in the city, easy ingress and egress, excellent visibility and superb after sales - this car is so much promising.
Add to that "decent build quality" when compared to older model

The only thing that this car misses out on for being a perfect city hatch is "Looks" which is a downer but it doesn't break the deal .

BTW i like your SIG !
Old 24th April 2010, 22:48   #135
BHPian

Just now checked the new Wagon-R at Varun Motors - Kukatpally. The car looks much, much better than the outgoing Wagon-R, and also looks much bigger.. It is not uglier as others say it. It looks better in flesh than the pics. The comfort inside is OUTSTANDING. The rear leg room is simply great. It is better than even some sedans. The quality of the car is far better than the older one. The car has many, many features than the outgoing model. I am seriously impressed with the functionality of the car. Each and every panel is new on this car. Many parts are shared from Swift and Ritz.

The only disappointment is smaller boot than the older one. It can be overlooked by the passenger seat comfort and 60:40 split seat.

Have not TD'ed of course as they do not have any car for TD yet. On Monday, I would probably get a test drive.

Overall, I am pretty seriously impressed with the car. Being an ex-Wagon-r customer, I would definitely consider this on top of the list if I am looking for a car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks