Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 15:24   #1591
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Largely true but are manufacturer recommendations only driven by technical tests?
Am quite sure there are business tieups and constraints that may drive these decisions. Also with time enhancements occur in oils etc that may not have been present when the manufacturer tested so helps to explore and figure out if there's something better out there.
Manufacturers usually give "minimum requirements needed" and give a few example oils which satisfy the requirement.
For example older turbo engines had API-CF4 as minimum oil grade required. However, you are free to use higher grade engine oils like API-CI4 in such engines, but not lower grade, eg API-CD.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:05   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post

(My apologies: The internal pictures are not very clear since they were shot through the closed window glasses)
Those are OE wheel nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
If the above is true, then using all these high funda oils and lubricants IS and WILL REMAIN an eyewash!!!
Yes, any idea what kind of tests are conducted on these products, are the results shared with the consumers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Adding to what Spike said, either manufacturer recommended or something better.
I have personally used many brands and after the research now stick to Mobil Delvac MX.
Jaggu, do you buy the same grade with a different make or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Largely true but are manufacturer recommendations only driven by technical tests?
Am quite sure there are business tieups and constraints that may drive these decisions.
As far as specifying the grade is concerned it is a R&D Engineer / Test Engineers job (none other can dictate this). MBA dudes may chip in during the later stages which is sometimes inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Manufacturers usually give "minimum requirements needed" and give a few example oils which satisfy the requirement.
Manufacturers requirement is aimed at making the whole system run in an ideal condition (considering different factors). The real test of a lubricating agent is when it undergoes Gravimetric / Rheology / Tribology analysis. The wear data for different engines will vary, so will be the acceptance criteria, which is best known to the manufacturer. Engine smoothness / drain interval are few among the many factors which we usually consider, rest everything remains anonymous to us.

And yes, I have seen through analysis of various lubrication oils (Mineral unigrade, Mineral multigrade, Semi-synthetic, Fully synthetic w.r.t various engine operating parameters).

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 6th May 2011 at 22:08.
Old 6th May 2011, 22:14   #1593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Jaggu, do you buy the same grade with a different make or?
You should once in a while check other threads than jeeps also!

Well here is my story, car was with RNS Yeshwanthpur they were using Delvac 1300, then one fine morning they shifted to Servo which was inferior (rating wise). One fill and i knew how much difference it made though the oil was within spec according to manufacturer recommendation. Dealer would not allow me to bring in my choice of oil so i walked away from them.

Moved to RNS hosur who accepted Delvac MX and since then i have been using Delvac MX even after moving to Mandovi.

So NO it was not same grade, it was one grade higher, talking about the CH/CI stuff.
Old 6th May 2011, 23:25   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain_in_U View Post
Hi,

Had been to India garage today morning, Service advisor told me some retrofitting job to be done to ensure proper fuel flow, Vacuum was getting created in the tank due to faulty fuel filler cap!!!

It took 1.5 hrs for the job.

The manifold of the fuel entry pipe was replaced, attached is the pic for reference. Thats the only difference i could figure out. No doubt it was FoC.
Hi Pain_in_U.

I got a call from Goel Motors, Mohali regarding this issue today. They want me to bring the Thar into the dealership so that the problem could be rectified.
My Thar was due for service at is is, so I am going there tomorrow morning to get things fixed and also to get the vehicle serviced.
Today in the evening, I took a look underneath the body where the fuel pipe goes into the fuel tank and the fuel pipe seemed to me to be totally collapsed (contracted). I remember taking a look at it a couple of times in the past and don't ever remember it being that way.
Let us see what happens tomorrow.

Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.
Old 7th May 2011, 06:28   #1595
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Yes, any idea what kind of tests are conducted on these products, are the results shared with the consumers?

Quote:
As far as specifying the grade is concerned it is a R&D Engineer / Test Engineers job (none other can dictate this). MBA dudes may chip in during the later stages which is sometimes inevitable.
Answer!!

Quote:
And yes, I have seen through analysis of various lubrication oils (Mineral unigrade, Mineral multigrade, Semi-synthetic, Fully synthetic w.r.t various engine operating parameters).

Spike
Now, its my turn to ask you the question?

Can you share details of the Various oils used and their Tribology reports?

Quote:
One fill and i knew how much difference it made though the oil was within spec according to manufacturer recommendation.
Jaggu: You are a Genius!
Old 7th May 2011, 10:11   #1596
BHPian

Quote:

Well here is my story, car was with RNS Yeshwanthpur they were using Delvac 1300, then one fine morning they shifted to Servo which was inferior (rating wise). One fill and i knew how much difference it made though the oil was within spec according to manufacturer recommendation. Dealer would not allow me to bring in my choice of oil so i walked away from them.

Moved to RNS hosur who accepted Delvac MX and since then i have been using Delvac MX even after moving to Mandovi.

So NO it was not same grade, it was one grade higher, talking about the CH/CI stuff.
Jaggu, you use a stethoscope or what? you are talking too much with your car . for a smaller engine(1.3ltr) you may feel it to some extent. what do you think about larger engines say 2.5ltr and above?
Old 7th May 2011, 11:27   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Can you share details of the Various oils used and their Tribology reports?
I can share results by the grade and not by the brand name. What exactly do you mean by Tribology reports? There are umpteen number of tests, what exactly do you want?

Spike
Old 7th May 2011, 12:18   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Hi Pain_in_U.

I got a call from Goel Motors, Mohali regarding this issue today. They want me to bring the Thar into the dealership so that the problem could be rectified.
My Thar was due for service at is is, so I am going there tomorrow morning to get things fixed and also to get the vehicle serviced.
Today in the evening, I took a look underneath the body where the fuel pipe goes into the fuel tank and the fuel pipe seemed to me to be totally collapsed (contracted). I remember taking a look at it a couple of times in the past and don't ever remember it being that way.
Let us see what happens tomorrow.

Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.
Sandeep,

Please check your fuel tank for any deformations as well. If yes, they will replace that FoC.

Regards
Old 7th May 2011, 22:43   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Sandeep,

Please check your fuel tank for any deformations as well. If yes, they will replace that FoC.

Regards
Thanks BlackRaven.

I checked the fuel tank for the same, but it was not affected, although the fuel pipe was done for. The issue has been rectified as of now and let us hope it is for good.
Thank you very much for the advice. It was invaluable.

Warm regards,
Sandeep.

@Spike Thanks for guiding me today. I was in a bit of a crises at that time. Only I know, what your call meant to me at that moment.
Thanks a ton!

Warm regards,
Sandeep.

Last edited by v12 : 8th May 2011 at 00:09.
Old 8th May 2011, 04:43   #1600
Senior - BHPian

I dont want to sound annoyed but this is a direct query again to M&M.

Tbhp has been indirectly involved in getting this jeep on the road and the amount of passion shown by members is maddness compared to any other car in the market. Seriously!!!

This thread has alone cross 107 pages and mine is going to be the 1600th post on this and am not talking of the other threads which were shut or went inactive.

During this process a query was asked each month.

Tell us what the sales figure is? Can you just please tell us the number or is it again a vague reply. We just want to know and the more succesful this vehicle is the better it is for a number of us.

Do not take this as a beating. The success of this product will directly affect the launch of any other product. So be it what you call but i believe this will be a major deciding ffactor for any manufacturer to put his cash where his mouth is and go ahead.

So again just tell us the figures and the breakdown between DI and Crde.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 06:42   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
what do you think about larger engines say 2.5ltr and above?
Quote:
what exactly do you want?
Spike
I see a lot of similarity from experts .

OK please give the details below of the oils after 100, 500,1000, 5000 and 10,000 hrs.
  • Viscosity (Kinematic viscosity at 40°C and/or 100°C)
  • FW (Ferrous Wear Index)
  • Water Content
  • TIM (Total Insoluble Matter) (A measure of Soot and oxidation products)
  • Dielectric analysis of Chemical Index and Contamination
  • TAN (Total Acid Number)
  • TBN (Total Base Number)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I dont want to sound annoyed but this is a direct query again to M&M.

Tell us what the sales figure is? Can you just please tell us the number or is it again a vague reply. We just want to know and the more succesful this vehicle is the better it is for a number of us.
So again just tell us the figures and the breakdown between DI and Crde.
Good question, I would also like to know when lockable HT and AC comes Factory Fitted ?
Old 8th May 2011, 08:07   #1602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
The April 2011 sales report might shed some light.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...s-figures.html (April 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures)

ST + Marshal + Maxx : 750

ST refers to the Thar I think. Is Marshal or Maxx sold anymore?
Old 8th May 2011, 08:53   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post

@Spike Thanks for guiding me today. I was in a bit of a crises at that time. Only I know, what your call meant to me at that moment.
Thanks a ton!
Glad that I could be of some help, you have my no. call me if required.

Quote:

OK please give the details below of the oils after 100, 500,1000, 5000 and 10,000 hrs.
Have some of these, will collate and post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

ST + Marshal + Maxx : 750

Sam, you are smart, I was wondering who will quote these figures. But how to determine which Thar :- CRDe or DI?

Spike
Old 8th May 2011, 11:08   #1604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have personally used many brands and after the research now stick to Mobil Delvac MX.
Are you referring to Mobil Delvac MX for your Swift DDIS?
Old 8th May 2011, 12:49   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Shouldn't ST be "soft top" and include Thar as well as other ST models like Marshal, Commander..etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks