Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 15:09   #3526
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
As long as you are not keeping your left leg raised and in a twisted position - the Thar is absolutely easy to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. I managed a 7 hour drive back home in flooded water in the Thar in November last year and wasnt in any pain other than being overall tired from the ordeal ! To compare - I was not able to walk after a bad 3 hour jam in my Swift and even a 2.5 hour jam in my Ikon - would be limping due to leg pain by the time I reached home. The raised seating position helps a great deal and the good forward visibility lets you plan what to do to avoid bottlenecks.

You will be the only one other than trucks and buses to not worry of small bumps and scratches. You can judiciously use just the clutch to crawl forward easily.
Dear sjcherian,
Thanks for the headsup!
I do not know if I will buy a Thar in the near future. However, I am tempted to take a test drive.

Girish Mahajan
Old 29th July 2016, 16:38   #3527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear sjcherian,
Thanks for the headsup!
I do not know if I will buy a Thar in the near future. However, I am tempted to take a test drive.

Girish Mahajan
Please do test-drive a Thar.
All minor and niggling issues notwithstanding, you will be smitten!
Once the Jeep big bites, you are addicted for life, so heady is the feeling
cpbopanna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 21:37   #3528

Hello Everyone,

I'm eagerly waiting to get my hands on my new Thar. I booked it last month (30th Jun) and the dealer (India Garage - Mount Road) called and told me today that the vehicle has come and it's in the yard. As I'm Planning to do the PDI on Monday, is there anything specific to Thar that I have to check.

And also, I'm planning to change the stock tyres to AT tyres. After going through most of the threads on AT tyres for Thar, I'm still unable to decide between Continental Crosscontact, and Michelin LTX AT2 tyres. And could someone help me with good tyre dealers in Chennai as I would like to exchange the stock tyres.

Thanks,
KP
Old 30th July 2016, 08:22   #3529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharian@KP View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm eagerly waiting to get my hands on my new Thar. I booked it last month (30th Jun) and the dealer (India Garage - Mount Road) called and told me today that the vehicle has come and it's in the yard. As I'm Planning to do the PDI on Monday, is there anything specific to Thar that I have to check.

And also, I'm planning to change the stock tyres to AT tyres. After going through most of the threads on AT tyres for Thar, I'm still unable to decide between Continental Crosscontact, and Michelin LTX AT2 tyres. And could someone help me with good tyre dealers in Chennai as I would like to exchange the stock tyres.

Thanks,
KP
Congrats on the new Thar and what color is it ?
What to check - everything as closely as you can. Use the PDI Checklist as a basis. You can also see the points I wrote up for a used one as well regarding tilts/underbody damage. Also check if the speedometer is working and mileage is reasonable (in many cases customer vehicles get handed out for TDs as most dealerships don't have a TD Thar)
Are you sure you want to do the tire change as the stock ones are more than adequate of most on road and moderate off-road use ? If you do stick to stock size of width otherwise you will crib about mileage later. Are you planning alloys ? If so plan tires accordingly.

Please do a walk around the numerous shops on Whites Road today (Saturday) and bargain hard and fix up before you go with your Thar for the final deal.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 10:33   #3530

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Congrats on the new Thar and what color is it ?
What to check - everything as closely as you can. Use the PDI Checklist as a basis. You can also see the points I wrote up for a used one as well regarding tilts/underbody damage. Also check if the speedometer is working and mileage is reasonable (in many cases customer vehicles get handed out for TDs as most dealerships don't have a TD Thar)
Are you sure you want to do the tire change as the stock ones are more than adequate of most on road and moderate off-road use ? If you do stick to stock size of width otherwise you will crib about mileage later. Are you planning alloys ? If so plan tires accordingly.

Please do a walk around the numerous shops on Whites Road today (Saturday) and bargain hard and fix up before you go with your Thar for the final deal.

Thanks Sjcherian for your inputs. The color of my Thar is Rocky Beige.

Even when I did my first test drive for Thar at India garage, they gave me a new unregistered Thar. On enquiry, they told me that it was a TD vehicle but they haven't registered it yet. After a month, when I went again to do an another test drive with my friend, the vehicle was registered. Hope it was the same one.

I'm planning to stick with stock steel rims and stock size of width for the tyres. I intend to do the tyre upgrade only if i get a good deal for the stock tyres.

Today, planning to visit Chandru auto works on GP road for audio system and will definitely check out the shops on Whites road as well.

Thanks,
KP
Old 30th July 2016, 12:51   #3531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharian@KP View Post

Thanks,
KP
Would prefer LTX to Conti for better grip in mud. But unless you plan to offroad a lot, don't spend money on tyres. Will compromise braking and will give rough ride.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 16:25   #3532
BHPian

Dera All,

Here are the video of water leaks from soft top and dashboard. Uploaded in my Twitter handle as I was unable upload here due to size restrictions.

https://twitter.com/aithalsandy/stat...31672835756033

https://twitter.com/aithalsandy/stat...24686442344448

In the meantime, lucky thar is helping people in flooded BLR
Old 31st July 2016, 10:44   #3533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Would prefer LTX to Conti for better grip in mud. But unless you plan to offroad a lot, don't spend money on tyres. Will compromise braking and will give rough ride.
Thanks Jaggu. I'm hoping to do a lot of offroading. I do agree with you that if I go with AT tyres, I have to compromise a lot. Even a few of my friends suggested LTX to conti.

As sjcherian suggested, did scouting for tyres on whites road. Though I have been to that place many times, never noticed so many shops for tyres. Did checked the price for Michelin LTX AT2 (5 tyres)and best quote given to me was by B.M.Lal Bros.,

New Michelin LTX (2016): 7800*5= 39000rs
Exchange price (Bridgestone): 6000*5= 30000rs
Difference: 39000-30000 = 9000, After discount of 1000, it is 8000rs.

Unfortunately I couldn't check Chandru auto stores for audio systems as I was getting late. Hope to do it later.
Tharian@KP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 11:06   #3534

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Dera All,

Here are the video of water leaks from soft top and dashboard. Uploaded in my Twitter handle as I was unable upload here due to size restrictions.

In the meantime, lucky thar is helping people in flooded BLR
OMG, It is very bad. I really don't understand why can't Mahindra make a reliable product? They have been in this industry for such a long time and still couldn't be able to deliver a product of high quality. Is it so tough? In adding to this, their inconsistent service across their network.
Old 31st July 2016, 12:06   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Just an update. I bought and installed following mahindra standard accessories:

1. Rear bumper
2. Front bumper
3. Side steps
4. Half canopy
5. Roll over bar

Apart from that, I also installed rear carbon leaf spring suspensions which made drive a little comfortable.

For the benefit of all, it is worth mentioning that the mahindra expedition half canopy is a good quality product but the issue is with the fitment. I got it installed on my Thar but it restricts the front seats to be pushed to the limit. so far tall drivers, it could be a soar to drive. I had to get rid of it after some time.
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 13:31   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Just an update. I bought and installed following mahindra standard accessories:

1. Rear bumper
2. Front bumper
3. Side steps
4. Half canopy
5. Roll over bar

Apart from that, I also installed rear carbon leaf spring suspensions which made drive a little comfortable.

For the benefit of all, it is worth mentioning that the mahindra expedition half canopy is a good quality product but the issue is with the fitment. I got it installed on my Thar but it restricts the front seats to be pushed to the limit. so far tall drivers, it could be a soar to drive. I had to get rid of it after some time.
Can you please post pictures of all installations?

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st August 2016, 23:21   #3537
BHPian

Can a MM thar be converted to a 5 door, a la Marshall. So, that it can be used as a family car ?
Old 1st August 2016, 23:36   #3538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
Can a MM thar be converted to a 5 door, a la Marshall. So, that it can be used as a family car ?
Any thing is possible in India !
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-12003303_424921611029331_5835173814265638584_n.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-11988416_424921681029324_4239673959003055670_n.jpg
why dont you buy a used bolero storme? but its a 4x2 only.

Last edited by jeepster : 1st August 2016 at 23:50.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:41   #3539
CDM
BHPian

@jeepster, that looks like one neat modification. Do you know where it was done?

CDM
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:05   #3540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
There is a family car made by Mahindra that suits this requirement of 5 doors - its called the Bolero for a similar amount of money.

Please do not buy the Thar to convert it to a family hauler ! Just buy the Bolero/ TUV300/ Scorpio etc etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks