Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 01:04   #1411
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikxsans660 View Post
Guys just curious, or blame me if i haven't read the thread well. Is the Thar Adventure for sale now? Price?
I suppose you need to read the thread. Adventure is nothing but a customized version of normal thar.
Old 11th April 2011, 08:34   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
One of the best laughs was the canopy description itself, with the "Z" axis adjustments . Now, I might not be an engineering degree topper like some members, but have been around the block a few times to know what works and what does not. Have a look at the "Z" axis adjusters. Holes drilled into a painted body, at a location where moisture and rain water have one of the highest possibility of settling.

P.S. Disclaimer: If holes are drilled before painting, and I misjudged by looking at this picture alone, I apologize in advance. But looking at the rest of the workmanship, I have my doubts.
Dear Mr.gthang - thank you for your comments. There is a small difference in what I meant as "Z" axis adjuster and what you understood. The height of the canopy in "Z" axis is controlled by a dimension which is 818 mm and not "holes drilled into a painted body". If you could take the photograph from outside, I think you ought to have seen inside also. You would have seen projection welded nuts which are a part of the body. These are obviously assembled before CED, let alone painting. If we did not do even this much, we would be worse than garages, isn't it? In any case, many of you are still of the opinion that your "friendly neighbourhood spiderman" (mechanic) does a better job and we are all useless fellows. Oh come on now, there is a limit to everything. Also in view of your "self clarification" that "if the holes are drilled before painting, you apolizise in advance", at least now you know. I earnestly request you to change your opinion about us. Come to Nasik and see what all we go through. It is very easy to make statements.

Anyways, it does not affect me in the least. I have replied to dispel the false notion that others could have formed after reading your comments. So don't feel bad dude, smile. . ALL IZZ WELL!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 11th April 2011, 08:43   #1413
BHPian

Hi Somubj,

I have checked with the dealer here in coimbatore, he showed me the circular from Mahindra, there is a 10K price increase at ex showroom level, nithing suggests 50K.

cheers,

Makesh
Old 11th April 2011, 10:18   #1414
BHPian

here is what i got from a dealer on Friday in Bangalore:

ex-showroom price - Rs.6,22,442/-
road tax - Rs.96,727/-
insurance - Rs.25,332/-
handling charges - Rs.4,000/-
total on-road price, exclusing accessores - Rs.7,48,501/-

if the build quality improves through some attention to details at factory, coupled with some "love & care" in assembly, then it maybe a justifiable investment. i personally feel lack of care while assembling body parts is causing issues which irritate. The same Mahindra, around similar price points, using similar components, delivers higher build quality on the Bolero body.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:35   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
I left the brochure in my car, i'll post the breakup tomorrow but if I remember it right, the price should be somewhere close to 7.5 on road.
@somubj

The older price was 7.2x Lakhs on-road. I saved myself 5k by buying the insurance outside and not from the dealer. I will pull up the invoices, but finally it came to about 7.19L.

May be if the new models are coming with factory fitted A/C's it could justify the 7.5 on-road. did you get to check that
Old 11th April 2011, 10:37   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
By the way, my favourite car is the BMW M3.
Sorry.
Great choice there.
I recently test drove a 1999 M3 (E36) Covertible. And I must say that it is the best car I have driven so far. It was a devilish drive straight from heaven. Engine and the manual transimission were mated as if SRK and Kajol of DDLJ - simply made for each other. The first and third gears were OMG...

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th April 2011 at 11:11. Reason: Last line not required! and you yourself has mentioned its OT :) Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 13:39   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
May be if the new models are coming with factory fitted A/C's it could justify the 7.5 on-road. did you get to check that
I have checked with the dealer - I am told the price increase is across the board - Bolero, Scoprio also have increased prices..

I do not think the price rise is on account of factory fitted AC. Which, when it comes, will add another approx 50K to the price...

Cheers
Carrot
Old 11th April 2011, 16:44   #1418
BHPian

Thar - Offroad Prowess

Ok the proof of the pudding they say is in the eating.

And for the first time yesterday I saw not one but two Thar CRDE's in action.
The trial was the most challenging we have in NCR (Badshahpur, near Gurgaon)

The green Thar was totally stock including HT tires.
The White Thar was pimped a bit (Roll cage, Forward facing rear seats, Maxxis Bighorns, custom fenders, next I heard a body lift was planned)

Initial impressions
  • Ground clearance very low.
  • Engine refinement,..world class.
  • Fit and Finish questionable
  • Paint job and overall package nice.
The grunt provided by the superb engine just blows anything and everything away. The engine is eager, and builds revs really well, as a result building momentum is not a problem at all.

It just went further, faster , and was more sure footed than any jeep in the group. The terrain where it excels is sand, inclines, and pretty much everything in between with exception to rock crawling, and terrain requiring aggressive ramp over angles (basically scores poorly where aggressive front axle articulation is needed). Extra Ground clearance will always help the cause further.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-2.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-3.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-1.jpg  

Last edited by Torque-ative : 11th April 2011 at 16:55.
Old 11th April 2011, 18:02   #1419
BANNED

WARNING: LONG POST.

Quote:
Dear Mr.gthang - thank you for your comments.
Quote:
So don't feel bad dude, smile. . ALL IZZ WELL!
Mr. Dhabhar Behram,
Glad you are taking my comments in good humor. I dont feel bad at all, and to be honest, I do smile a lot, but not here to avoid breaking the smilie rule
Quote:
In any case, many of you are still of the opinion that your "friendly neighbourhood spiderman" (mechanic) does a better job and we are all useless fellows.
I dont think a friendly neighborhood mechanic can do a better job than M&M. In fact, I havent been to a neighborhood mechanic since I had a Sierra almost 20 years ago, and I dont think he was a superhero, because I dont recall ever seeing him wear his underpants on top of his pants. But I did get a pretty good starting impression about vehicle reliabilty.
Quote:
It is very easy to make statements.
It is very easy to make statements of all sorts nowadays thank to the forums such as Team-Bhp.
My statements might have some value to some one else as well, I hope. That's the whole idea, right? Or did I miss a memo?

My statements come from some practical real world experiences of my own.
I have used off road vehicles on a day-in day-out basis for well over a decade. I have used Mitsubishi Pajeros, Land Cruisers, Hiluxes, Nissan Pickups, Ford F-350s, Chevy Silverados, and more on all kind of roads, been up and down ravines, through ice, snow, slush, mud, "wadis", where 4x4 Lo is mandatory to cross, etc, etc,. I could go on and on. And all this for hundreds of kilometers of deserted roads everyday. So, I also know how crucial reliability is as well.
Even though I dont have to, I love doing the oil change myself, wash my trucks, open the hood and check things out, like every self respecting auto enthusiast should. I dont know what degree my tie rod connects to the whatchamacallit to the camber of the toe. But I know which ones last the longest, which ones are the most reliable ones, and which deteriorate the fastest, and can recognize good engineering.

So, I know a good looking rust spot when I see one.

Instead of like yourself comparing M&M to the neighborhood workshop, I tried comparing you to some of the Global brands. Why?
For the THAR, you are charging Rs 7.x lakhs, which is about $16,xxx. You dont have to pay any import tax, you have not built any new dies, no new engine design, nothing. Any idea what kind of truck you will get for $16,xxx anywhere else in the world? Even in a similar economy country like Thailand?
Does M&M, with its huge portfolio really need to squeeze the customer so hard to justify low volume?
Can some of those profits not be shared for better quality components? Is Jugaad way of fixing things the only way possible today with endless manufacturing capabilities available in India itself? Heck, import parts from China, it will still be cheaper. Can you not reject sub standard products from vendors like export orders often do? Thus, I question your R&D and QC departments.

Are you catering only to ex-MM5xx owners who knows their crown and pinion numbers by heart, a slightly better alternative to what they have been used to? And is it mandatory to have attended x number of EXAMMS, and Jeep Thrills to post about the Thar, then I am sorry for my entire post, because I just wanted a good looking long lasting truck for occasional offroading for my 7.x lakhs.

Honest question: How long before a brand new Gypsy really needs a trip to workshop for anything other than regular service?

So, since ALL IZ WELL, do I have to still visit Nasik plant to post my view?

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 18:37   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Instead of like yourself comparing M&M to the neighborhood workshop, I tried comparing you to some of the Global brands. .
And that sums it all.

For all the RISE campaign, M&M engineers should rise to compare their products against global standards and not use the mayapuri built jeep as the benchmark to surpass!

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th April 2011 at 21:29. Reason: Fixing Quotes.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:23   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
here is what i got from a dealer on Friday in Bangalore:

ex-showroom price - Rs.6,22,442/-
road tax - Rs.96,727/-
insurance - Rs.25,332/-
handling charges - Rs.4,000/-
total on-road price, exclusing accessores - Rs.7,48,501/-
This is the exact breakup .. so after including basic fitments worth ~57k, Thar will cost ~8 lacs.

The sales rep started with some justifications like Mahindra has rectified some design flaws so it has increased the price, then he went to the new budget aspect.

What i really couldn't understand is why is the price hike being transfered to the customers, considering that Thar was overpriced to the brim, any addition to it will not be good.

Let's say i buy thar with basic fitments for 8 lacs, then get the a/c installed for another 30k (as quoted by the dealer), upgrade the tyres and get alloys which will add another 50k minimum, front facing seats for another 5k (?not sure about the exact cost so i am assuming this), security system worth another 10k. Since it doesnot come with any offers, so floor mats and seat covers will cost another 10k. Total: 895000.

What i can get in this price is a used safari 2010 model, Innova 2009 model, Couple more bucks and a new safari base version, ford endeavour 2007 model ...etc. and above all RELIABILITY and tested vehicles with all features required.

All i want to say here is any price increase will further pull Thar into a different league of competition, and Thar has nothing so far except the engine to make its ground.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th April 2011 at 21:30. Reason: Fixing Quotes.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:31   #1422
BHPian

gthang,

the best post after the hitler video.I will give you handshake from my heart when we meet.

"Instead of like yourself comparing M&M to the neighborhood workshop, I tried comparing you to some of the Global brands." They can only compare it with MM550/Mayapuri Jeeps. No other Manufacture makes this like scrap product.

- Sreejesh

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 11th April 2011 at 19:50.
Old 11th April 2011, 21:05   #1423
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
What i can get in this price is a used safari 2010 model, Innova 2009 model, Couple more bucks and a new safari base version, ford endeavour 2007 model ...etc. and above all RELIABILITY and tested vehicles with all features required.
Except the Endy none of them are 4*4. The Safari 4*4 is rare.
I don't think the Endy will be participating in the OTR's.

So sorry, while I agree with the over priced tag. The alternatives suggested by you are not for the Thar target. The Thar occupies a very niche segment. None except the rare Force Motors comes into the picture.

Last edited by bblost : 11th April 2011 at 21:06.
Old 11th April 2011, 21:10   #1424
Senior - BHPian

gthang,

Very succinctly put.

"Why is DB Sir looking at roadside mechanics for comparison?" Has M&M picked up their QC and interiors work staff from there? You will have to visit a few shops down south here in Coimbatore and see the quality of interiors that these guys do and what they price it for. Koyas is just one example, not the best, but certainly way higher than what the M&M lads could come up with.

gthang, since we belong to the same place, one day, I will get the chance to shake your hand.
Old 11th April 2011, 21:16   #1425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The Thar occupies a very niche segment. None except the rare Force Motors comes into the picture.
sorry, but i had been following this thread.I actually wanted to cut my teeth in 4x4 on something as hardcore as a mahindra.
and my heart has been steadily sinking since the price has started being tossed around in this thread.

when i read that quoted statement, i actually went and checked .

and, all i can say is "bingo!!"...

could very well be the reason for the price, cos m&m know it too.
monopolistic situation, somewhat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks