Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2013, 17:02   #541
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

I have a 2009 Inidica vista QDJ. The car has become extremely troublesome. The maintenance costs are spiraling insanely. At the 50000 km mark, the AC evaporator had stooped working and repaired with a bill of Rs.8500 in Jan 2013. Two power window winder failures at Rs. 3000, rattling parts, and repeated AC leakages. Recently the AC stopped working and it was traced to a leakage with a bill of Rs.4000. The total bills for the past 3 months have accumulated to Rs. 16000 not including the scheduled maintenance bills of an avg of Rs 6000/service.

I am now contemplating on selling it off and buying a Figo TCDi. Is it a wise option to sell it off or no???
Old 11th April 2013, 17:37   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I have a 2009 Inidica vista QDJ. The car has become extremely troublesome. The maintenance costs are spiraling insanely. At the 50000 km mark, the AC evaporator had stooped working and repaired with a bill of Rs.8500 in Jan 2013. Two power window winder failures at Rs. 3000, rattling parts, and repeated AC leakages. Recently the AC stopped working and it was traced to a leakage with a bill of Rs.4000. The total bills for the past 3 months have accumulated to Rs. 16000 not including the scheduled maintenance bills of an avg of Rs 6000/service.
What I can understand from the above is that your problems are mainly related to AC & Power windows. It is quite unfortunate that these problems have cropped up after your standard/extended warranty got over (my assumption). However if these problems repeat even after they have been fixed by TASC, then you have full right to get it rectified from them FOC.

My old generation Indica V2 (DLX) has covered 1.22 lakh kms (in close to 9 years). There have been niggling issues, but the car never let me down & there were absolutely no reliability issues at all.

Quote:
I am now contemplating on selling it off and buying a Figo TCDi. Is it a wise option to sell it off or no???
I suggest you get hold of a good friendly neighborhood garage (if not a good TASC) & try to fix the recurring issues. My guess is that poor workmanship in the earlier services has resulted in getting your car screwed up. If that doesn't help only then consider a replacement.
Old 11th April 2013, 18:38   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
What I can understand from the above is that your problems are mainly related to AC & Power windows. It is quite unfortunate that these problems have cropped up after your standard/extended warranty got over (my assumption). However if these problems repeat even after they have been fixed by TASC, then you have full right to get it rectified from them FOC.
My car is currently in its extended warranty. The evaporator which was replaced in January is in the ext. warranty but the amount is yet to be re funded. Regarding the power windows, only the motor is covered in the extended warranty, but in my car the winder had failed in 2 doors.

And its not only the AC and power windows, there seems to be problems cropping everywhere like rattling steering, parking brake not working and a whole lot of rattles when on uneven tarmac.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 11th April 2013 at 18:40.
Old 19th April 2013, 11:54   #544
BHPian

Its been over 6 years that I have been using and abusing my car - Indica Xeta Petrol 2006 (bought it on 29th August 2006)

Have lost the amount of money I have spent on repairs and maintenance. Used to have check engine sign from just over couple of months. Last year changed the tyres to Michellin and alloys after the Apollo Accelere gave way. Its been driven 72000 kms so far.

Just got rear ended by another car and a few other existing issues have multiplied my grief.
1) Check engine sign is on
2) I was told that the suspension is a suspect a few months back but did not want to touch it
3) The rpm meter and the kilometer digital indicator dont move.
4) Now the car stalls / loses power when in neutral and even when driving
5) Had changed the ECU about a year and half ago too

Am taking the car to a service guy on Monday and was talking to a friend of mine of the huge bill that I will have to pay in the coming week.

Everyone in the office has been asking me that - 'are tumne indica kyun li' its got so many problems already. Wife last night told me that if the bills are too much you should sell the car and get a new one; the same thoughts echoed by a colleague some time back.

He said 'you will pay money to repair the car and thereafter you will get less than what you are getting today for resale plus you will repair the car...wonder if that is worth the expense. You might as well make a down payment for a new car!'

Recently purchased a house and have a loan already; am not in a state of mind to take another loan (car) right now! But looking at the current situation; I feel that am fighting the devils in a lost cause.

Hope you guys help or maybe as the subject goes educate me to 'keep or upgrade the car'!
Old 19th April 2013, 13:32   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
My car is currently in its extended warranty. The evaporator which was replaced in January is in the ext. warranty but the amount is yet to be re funded. Regarding the power windows, only the motor is covered in the extended warranty, but in my car the winder had failed in 2 doors.

And its not only the AC and power windows, there seems to be problems cropping everywhere like rattling steering, parking brake not working and a whole lot of rattles when on uneven tarmac.
You should pursue the problems aggressively at the service centre.If you can get them resolved you should continue to own it.You should also find an expert on AC systems and get the problem resolved.

Take a decision that makes sense financially and rationally. If you are the kind of guy who primarily wants a hassle free ownership, get a toyota!

I would suggest you keep the car till you can afford an upgrade like a Honda Amaze
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:41   #546
BHPian

I am now back to my old dilemma - Give away my Esteem or keep it.

Wifey is now pushing me to go for the new SX4 with the redone grill and fascia.
Guys, any advice on this.

How is the new SX4? Is it worth the exchange. I still love the Esteem though.
Old 25th April 2013, 06:36   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
I am now back to my old dilemma - Give away my Esteem or keep it.

Wifey is now pushing me to go for the new SX4 with the redone grill and fascia.
Guys, any advice on this.

How is the new SX4? Is it worth the exchange. I still love the Esteem though.
Hello aabid,

The new SX4 is just an interim measure by Maruti to slightly bump up the sales. It's been around for quite a while and we should observe an all-new SX4 pretty soon. When compared head to head against the Honda City which still manages to look so fresh after all these years, this one appears to have been around for eons . supposedly, this was a stunner (looks and performance alike) when it was originally launched.

Also, would you also be bothered about the resale as, you have retained the Esteem for a good period? SX4 has a pretty notorious value in the per-owned car department. Still, if you like it, should not at all hold back. Please share your thoughts post-TD.

Try giving a thought to the Amaze and the City (on the same price lines as the SX4). Do evaluate the pre-worshipped option too.

Just to end it if, the Esteem isn't giving any problems for now, might as well retain it for another year or two. With newer and snazzier launches slated very soon, you'll have alternatives to choose from then.

P.S. - all this comes from a guy who himself owns an Esteem and was seriously contemplating about switching to the City. No problems with my Silver Comet coupled with a superior foam wash + wax treatment reversed my decision. Full credit to you for sharing the original idea of getting the car detailed from 3M (luckily, a much lower alternative worked wonders for my ride )

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 25th April 2013 at 06:37.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 15:22   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Hello aabid,

Just to end it if, the Esteem isn't giving any problems for now, might as well retain it for another year or two. With newer and snazzier launches slated very soon, you'll have alternatives to choose from then.

P.S. - all this comes from a guy who himself owns an Esteem and was seriously contemplating about switching to the City. No problems with my Silver Comet coupled with a superior foam wash + wax treatment reversed my decision. Full credit to you for sharing the original idea of getting the car detailed from 3M (luckily, a much lower alternative worked wonders for my ride )
This part of your post I totally agree.

What can I say - Every time a new car gets launched, me and family start dreaming of owning the damn machine. But then a few days later, common sense prevails and we relax in the ownership of the Esteem.

About the 3M - I almost got it done till my car door was smashed by my neighbour. I was then introduced to a great workshop not far from my house by another neighbour's driver. They did the whole jing-bang including tinkering, painting of three doors, front & rear bumpers, skirts on both sides, painting to original (almost) finish, wax polish, thorough interior cleaning, exterior clean & wash, etc. I got the seat covers removed, now I am using the car's original upholstery. The only thing that remains now to convert her to brand new status again are replacement of tyres which are no good.

So, back to square one. Ogle at new launches and quietly sit in the old one.
aabidansari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 00:19   #549
BHPian

Very interesting article. I am a bit confused on whether to retain my 2007 Fiesta TDCi or go for a new car. The reason being, the car is giving me a lot of problems one after another, the maintenance cost is getting higher and my peace of mind is getting lost.

EMI is all payed off. Now I am considering 2 options, put a loan and go for a C segment petrol sedan, or buy an used premium petrol hatch (2010) with the money that I sell off my car. The reason, why I want to go for petrol is the reducing price margin between the 2 fuels and my running is not too high.

Is this the right time to sell my diesel ride, as I believe in another year diesel will touch 60 rs, and petrol will hover around 70 rs. And the craze for diesel vehicle will have reduced, thereby reducing my selling price?

I am really in favour of buying an 2-3 year old premium hatch, and have peace of mind in owning it. Will it be a wise decision or should I put up with my current ride and thrown in the money as an when needed? Need your thoughts please.
Old 6th May 2013, 10:15   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus7 View Post
Very interesting article. I am a bit confused on whether to retain my 2007 Fiesta TDCi or go for a new car. The reason being, the car is giving me a lot of problems one after another, the maintenance cost is getting higher and my peace of mind is getting lost.
I have never owned or driven a diesel car in my life, but plenty of petrol ones. Everytime I wanted to go in for a new car, friends, family & folks would dissuade me from going in for a Diesel. The reason cited - the spiralling maintenance costs as the years add on. Your experience just proves the fact to the T.

But having said that, the new lot of diesel machines on the indian roads today are far superior and probably (?) do not trouble the owner as they age.

My suggestion would be to ditch the Fiesta (which was a supercar in its heyday) and go in for the hatchback petrol. Most of these are really troublefree unless your 'badluck' is really bad.

Let us know what you do.
Old 10th August 2013, 01:08   #551
BHPian

A-Star:Keep & Upgrade or Sell

We have a 2009 A-Star with 12500km on the odo. We have no complaints except for the poor low end torque which is a curse in the city traffic. We cannot decide whether to keep or sell it. Is there any modification possible to improve the city driveability. I have read in the forum that an ffe may shorten engine life drastically and k&n filters do not work wonders except for the intake growl. Please notify me the feasible options to improve the city driveabilty without upgrading to a bigger and more powerful car.(currently out of budget)
100kmph
Note:Mods may move to appropriate section if I have posted in the wrong place
Old 10th August 2013, 09:45   #552
BHPian

Re: A-Star:Keep & Upgrade or Sell

You have to turn the AC off That's exactly what I did on my ex-vehicle - the donkey - the Chevy Beat. And then I sold it off because I couldn't take it anymore.

I don't think you have a choice but to get rid of it. But it is surprising to know that even Maruti makes cars with absent low-end torque !
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 11:06   #553
BHPian

Like many of you here, I am also in a dilemma whether to sell my car or retain it for some more time.

I own a Fiesta 2006 TDCi which has crossed 1 Lakh KM last month. No major issues with the car, except changed the AC coil couple of times. Otherwise, everything is fine so far. Till run on stock clutch related items. Of course, tires have been changed twice. I might run into regular repairs like clutch, gear box, suspension, engine bed etc. in upcoming days. The current market value will be anywhere around 2-2.5 Lakhs. Car has depreciated 70% in past 7 years :(

Ford Ecosport is kind of melting my heart - But after reading this thread, Brain says to retain the current car. But heart says the other thing .

Any advice or comments would help here .
Old 16th August 2013, 11:40   #554
Senior - BHPian

My opinion is that as long as the car is mechanically sound, keep it. I'm quite fastidious about my things, so a scratch or two which invariably happens, doesn't dent my heart. When I'm in bengaluru, I put up the 'L' sign on my car and drive between 40-60 KMPH, cautious to the core. The old Zen has served us well, except for the weak AC, so I have no intention to upgrade. In fact it's another joy to see your 'so called' relic in ship shape and 'glint in the sun' like new. Once again, purely my opinion.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:45   #555
BHPian

Hi,

I'm also in the same dilemma. My Fiesta TDCI 2006 model just completed 89K this month. So far, I've changed the following,

Tires @ 68K
Clutch @ 84K
A/C Coil @ 85K
Power Windows @ 88K

These are the major changes, i've done so far. Yet to do the timing belt change which is why I'm thinking to keep or swap. Car is in very good condition and I'm getting 17 kmpl within city (of course 100% AC ON). Only worry is some unknown wear tear issues pops-up every other month. This month driver side power window jammed due to rust. I've replaced it after spending 4k. 4 months back, I spent 23k for clutch change and If i change the timing belt, again it will cost another 20-22k. Please help me to get out from this confusion. Whenever there is a new car getting launched, My mind getting confused.. but I really love this car and served/saved us well so far.

Last edited by Jebs : 16th August 2013 at 12:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks