Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 23:34   #436

Re: ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

The thing about synthetic fuels during run-ins is a bit odd when many new cars are being filled with synthetic fuels straight from the factory.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:16   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Rightly said Xehaust: My Fabia 1.6 has no temperature gauge and feels quite odd. Having a temp gauge would give a warning as soon as anything is amiss with the cooling system, rather than waiting for the problem to grow unnoticed. I guess this is one of those quirky features like single reversing light in many new models!
WHAT!!!!!! The Fabia 1.6 doesn't have a temp gauge? I honestly overlooked that bit when I took a test drive! Am sure there must be something on that orange MID that would give the temp readings.
Also, what brand & spec of Synthetic engine oil does the Fabia use? I would like to carry a can of engine oil alongwith me during my Goa trip, just in case the levels dip.

Last edited by mb_jg : 19th May 2011 at 18:20.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:09   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
WHAT!!!!!! The Fabia 1.6 doesn't have a temp gauge? I honestly overlooked that bit when I took a test drive! Am sure there must be something on that orange MID that would give the temp readings.
Also, what brand & spec of Synthetic engine oil does the Fabia use? I would like to carry a can of engine oil alongwith me during my Goa trip, just in case the levels dip.

Actually Figo doesn't have it either. They just have a high temp warning light.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:16   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Actually Figo doesn't have it either. They just have a high temp warning light.
Leave Figo, Fabia aside. Even a 10 lakh rupee Honda City doesn't have temperature meter. Honda just have provided a high temperature warning light.

Last edited by bluevolt : 19th May 2011 at 19:18.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:24   #440
BHPian

Oh boy, am I gonna miss the temperature gauge in the Fabia or what!! On my Palio I somehow felt comfortable knowing the temp gauge never crossed the quarter mark, except while going uphill.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:37   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh boy, am I gonna miss the temperature gauge in the Fabia or what!! On my Palio I somehow felt comfortable knowing the temp gauge never crossed the quarter mark, except while going uphill.

Don't they say that the temp. should be nearly 80 - 85C just so that the lubricant can do its job properly (and thermal expansion increase the clearing between piston and cylinder)?

Is it advisable to keep the engine very cool?
Old 19th May 2011, 23:56   #442
BHPian

Hmm. And I missed looking for that gauge too. Blame the butter smooth ride of the fab 1.6 ;-) Am I praising my ride or what ?
Old 20th May 2011, 09:07   #443
BHPian

Quote:
There's only a high temp warning indication that will come on at some predetermined high temp setting. The Indian model doesn't even have low temp warning light, which I think ANHC and EU Fabia has. The MFD only displays ambient temp value, not engine coolant temp.

Recommended synthetic oil is some VW grades and probably you can source it only at VW on Skoda service centres. But I am sure any equivalent commercially available synthetic oil should suffice for topping up. I haven't topped up in last 5k km.
Old 31st July 2011, 12:46   #444
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parhureddy View Post
The thing about synthetic fuels during run-ins is a bit odd when many new cars are being filled with synthetic fuels straight from the factory.
Are you sure about the info ? IIRC, it's true for supercars like Ferrari/Lamborghini only and not for hatcbacks/SUVs etc.

Last edited by mithun : 31st July 2011 at 12:47.
Old 1st August 2011, 16:24   #445
BHPian

I have read through this thread albeit skipping through some of the posts that related to petrol. I am looking for information on running-in a Ford Endeavour 3.0 AT. The manual says pretty much what's already been covered here: no special running-in necessary for first 1000kms, but:
1. No hard acceleration
2. No hard braking
3. Vary RPMs

I follow all the above. My office is situated on a route where I encounter b2b traffic as well as highways so I can vary RPMs. I generally don't drive hard (I enjoy moderately high speeds occasionally but stick to lower RPMs just coasting; this is my style).

My question was more on the oil change part. Do I have to do it? The manual says 5000 kms. Any recommendations for this particular model?
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:56   #446
BHPian

Re: Running is in not about just Max Speed/RPM

Just saw this thread and going through it had doubts.
A lot of posts in the thread talk about going beyond 3K RPM for running in.
I never go beyond 3K RPM - and that too only in highways sometimes when doing more than 120 kmph.

The question is - i have never felt issues with my engine and infact i hate going beyond this RPM because the engine screams and it does not feel right.

Am i right here or missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Folks,

Running-in is more than just limiting the car to a high RPM/Speed and not pushing it beyond a specified limit. Run in is a process that is typically refered to Engine because it needs running in the most. Engine piston and cylinder are machined to a high degree of tolerence. Piston runs at a very high speed in the cylinder which makes engine more suseptable to damage. Engine is also the hottest part of the car. For the above main reasons Run in is required most for an Engine rather than any other parts of the car. Other car parts do need running in but in relatively lower scale.

Diesel engines need a different running in as compared to petrol. Diesel engines should not be babied (Go at low speeds/RPM while in the Run in period). The following 5 rules apply to Running in of Diesel engines -

1. Till 200 KM on ODO drive the car as if it is a baby. Do not ahrd accelarate or go beyond 80 KMPH. Do not break hard. Do not ride the cluch.

2. Beyond 200 till 1000-1500 KM is when you need to constantly vary the speed/RPM while driving. Do not run in a fixed speed/RPM for a long duration of time. There should be some change every 5 min or so.Do not exceed 2500 RPM when cold and 3000 RPM when warm (Here the assumption is the Redline RPM is 5000 and Max. Power RPM is 4000). DO NOT LUG your engine. Lugging is driving in an RPM which is lower than 1500 in higher gears. Lugging damages the engine more than running on high RPMs. DO NOT REV. the engine while idling. Do NOT idle for more than a Minute. Check up the oil level and quality once every week at least. Change Oil as soon as it reaches 1000 KM (Or as recommended by Manufacturer). Your car would have run in more than 50% once it hits 1500 KM on ODO.

3.1000 KM to 5000 KM - Maintain the above running in rules (Rule 2) but the upper limit of RPM extends to 3000-3500. Once in a while one should take the car to 4000 RPM (High power RPM) either in 3rd or 4th gear. This enables proper seating of Pistons in the cyclinder.The car would have run in more than 75% once it hits 5000 KM on ODO.

4. 5000 KM to 10000 KM - Reach 4000 RPM more often. At the end of 10000 KM the car would have run in 90%.

5. Once car reaches 20K KM then the car would have run in fully. In Western countries where the conditions are much more favourable for driving car, diesel cars complete run in only by 60000 miles.

Run in is completed when engine generates maximum compression. There is negligible or no Gas leakage from the combustion chamber.

DO NOT USE Synthetic oil till 20000 KM as it prevents complete/proper running in.

My 2 Paise on Run-in or Break-in on a diesel engine.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:40   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't they say that the temp. should be nearly 80 - 85C just so that the lubricant can do its job properly (and thermal expansion increase the clearing between piston and cylinder)?

Is it advisable to keep the engine very cool?
Coolant temperature has very little effect on oil temperature.
And as far as clearance is concerned a 20-30°C do not make any significant difference. Since both the piston as well the bore diameter increase. Moreover there are rings between them.

The engine does reach the optimum tempereture provided the thermostat valve is working fine.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:23   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First time I heard about factory fill synthetic fuels!
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:34   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Ford cars come with semi-synthetics from the factory these days. Also AFAIK Manza and Vista come with semi-synthetic or synthetic oils from the factory (and are recommended to be filled with the same always)
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:02   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Quote:
Ford cars come with semi-synthetics from the factory these days. Also AFAIK Manza and Vista come with semi-synthetic or synthetic oils from the factory (and are recommended to be filled with the same always)
I am aware of that! My jest was about the typo "synthetic fuels".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks